Start by marking “Befriending the Beast (Tales of Faith, #1)” as Want to Read:
Befriending the Beast (Tales of Faith, #1)

Befriending the Beast

(Tales of Faith #1)

Belle has returned unannounced to the castle to restore her relationship with the king, her father. Her hopes are dashed with the devastating message: "The king refuses to see you." Convinced that God has led her home, she is unwilling to return to Lord and Lady Kiralyn. Time is running out for the decision that will change her life. When tragedy strikes, will she and her ...more
Published September 13th 2016 by Artstudios (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Befriending the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Befriending the Beast

Faith
4.5 of 5 stars

*happy sigh* Oh, what a beautiful story. This was the fourth story I had read by Miss Tero (previously – Letters From a Scatter-Brained Sister, Debt of Mercy, and Coffee Cake Days) and it's certainly my favorite. :)

When I first started reading "Befriending the Beast", I wasn't sure what to expect. The writing was good (really good!!), but I wasn't sure where the story was going or if I would like it that much. I was so wrong, peeps. :P
I loved it so much!!! It's a beautiful story
Rebekah Morris
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect since this was a fairy-tale retelling and I'm not much into that sort of book. I shouldn't have worried. Amanda did an incredible job of making the story real and the characters lovable. Yes, even the "beast." The message of love and patience was so true and encouraged me.
I'm glad I read this short book.
Melanie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Befriending the Beast, a beauty and the Beast retelling, was so different from any retelling I've ever read. Instead of being a romance, it was about a strained relationship between a father and his daughter. So unique and a great story! I liked the writing style -- it was easy to read. The only thing I really didn't like was how quickly the book ended...I wish there would have been a chapter or two more.

All in all, though, a great read!

*I received a complimentary eBook copy for my honest review
Bethany
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-tellings
Recommended: Ages 12+

Such a sweet story! I really enjoyed it, even though it's supposed to be a retelling of the 'Beauty and the Beast' story, it's nothing like the fairy-tale at all, for which I was very thankful.

After living with her kind uncle and aunt, the princess, Belle, decides to return to her father's castle for the first time since her mother's death. She arrives at the castle, only to find that most of the servants have left, and only a handful remain. The king, apparently, took his w
Olivia
{4.5 stars}

I never been into the Beauty and the Beast story or any other fairytale for that matter, but as soon as I heard that the author was writing a retelling of the story I jumped at the chance. I love the idea of the father being the beast, rather than the suitor. It was a nice change (sometimes romance stories get a little old!!).

This isn't quite 100 pages, but there are so many good lessons in this. I love how the salvation message is so strong in this book, as well as the point of prayi
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 8-20

I’ve wanted to read this retelling for a while. Tero came up with a brilliant idea when she decided to retell Beauty and the Beast, casting Belle’s father as the beast. I’m happy to say that this story met my expectations.

You can always count on Tero to have strong faith element. I loved how Belle did what she knew was right even if it wasn’t easy. I like how she did what was right even when people older than her, who also loved the Lord, tried to
R.
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Taking off from the fairytale, Ms. Tero has artfully crafted a story with elements from The Secret Garden, reminiscent of Patricia St. John’s style, but with an endearing spice of its own.
I connected easily with Belle and suffered through her struggles. She was one of the best done princess characters I’ve seen for a while. Gentle, yet able to command. Percy was well done as well; he was probably one of my favorites. Anis was well crafted too (good job the grumpy, huffy personality).
The plot mov
A.M. Heath
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What I Loved: I love the Beauty and the Beast so I was thrilled to get my hands on Amanda Tero's retelling. She has such a creative take on the story that I admired right away. Tero stripped the story of all magic and romance and presented it in a brand new way. One of the highlights of the novella was the way Tero treated the gospel. The gospel was presented so clearly. The overall theme of forgiveness and following Christ's plan for you life was also well handled and beautifully presented.

Rati
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Belle has returned unannounced to the castle to restore her relationship with the king, her father. Her hopes are dashed with the devastating message: "The king refuses to see you." Convinced that God has led her home, she is unwilling to return to Lord and Lady Kiralyn. But will the king offer her any other choice?
Time is running out and she has a life-changing decision to make. When tragedy strikes, will she and her father be pulled further apart or knit together? Could she
Kellyn Roth
This was a simple amazing novella! I really enjoyed it. It was one of the most fantastic takes on the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ story that I’ve ever read! It was also refreshing … we all know what’s gonna happen in romances … but this … this is special.

Read the rest of the review on my blog.

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Daisy Paquet
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good-- er, i just don't normally read this genre. But man, it was free and it's popular so I had to read it. Pretty well-written. I think it could've had more character development but it was short and to the point of which I can approve (being ADHD...). Thus, it was pretty good.

Mayhap we break the fast in the morn, if 'tis thy will? Aye.
Lydia Howe
Why I Choose this Book:

I don’t generally read books with magic, so I grew up not reading fairy tales. I’ve always been slightly curious about the genre, so when I find a fairy tale retelling that is void of magic, I’m interested in reading more. The author was offering to let me read the book in exchange for an honest review, so I signed up.

What I Thought about this Book:

Sadly I think my lack of growing up with fairy tales lowers my ratings on fairy tale retellings because I don’t have the built
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All ages
This was a very sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast! I loved the fact that the storyline was about a father and daughter instead of the expected romantic guy and girl. Very well written, with no plot holes and very few typos. Highly recommended! All ages would enjoy this sweet, short story!
Karis
Befriending the Beast by Amanda Tero takes a twist on the Beauty and Beast fairytale that I’ve never seen done before—what if there’s not a romance and the Beast is the father? I’m not typically much for fairy-tale re-tellings, but this one captured my interest from the beginning.

For years Belle has been separated from her father, the king, ever since fleeing to her aunt and uncle’s, grieving herself over her mother’s death and not being able to handle her father’s grief as well. Years later as
Emily
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
After her mother died, Princess Belle’s father never really recovered, so Belle went to live with her aunt and uncle. Several years later, at the age of fifteen, Belle feels the need to go back home and restore her relationship with her surly father. But he is not of the same mind.

Befriending the Beast by Amanda Tero is a short but sweet retelling of “Beauty and the Beast,” featuring Belle’s father as the beast. There is no magic or romance. But it is the inspirational story of a girl who cared
Camilla
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was not sure how I felt about this story. Initially I felt it was a little slow, and it took me a bit to get involved in the story and with the characters. Some of the language felt a little forced, though I know that the author was trying to draw in the readers to another time long ago. What clinched this story for me, and really made me love it, was a scene in the garden when Princess Belle is talking to an old servant. It is a hard moment for the princess, and the man reminds her of when sh ...more
Angie Thompson
I liked the theme of the story, the way that Belle sought reconciliation with her father, and the way she was forced to wait on God even when she felt like she didn't have time. Her struggle with patience and trying to find God's will was very relatable.

The setting was well-done and obviously well-researched, and the details didn't pull me out of the story, as sometimes happens to me with descriptions. I would have liked to get to know the other characters a little better and see them interact w
Jesseca Wheaton
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come when it's published!! (Hint: It's AMAZING!)
Ejayen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not a romance! I love that this fairy tale retelling is not a romance. This one has no romance.
Oh yeah, there was also fun mix ups, but they weren't to dramatic.
Janell R.
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy all of Amanda’s stories, but I think this was one of my favorites. No, not because it’s a fairytale retelling; I’m actually not much into fairytales. I found it refreshing, because in this case the beast wasn’t some young man she had a romantic attraction to, but it was her own father with whom she desired to reestablish a relationship.

The setting is one of my favorites, and Amanda did a great job giving it the right ‘feel’.

Not least, Belle’s spiritual journey is portrayed realist
Alexa
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I didn’t love it, but I think I could have if the story had been more developed and better paced. It fits too well around the theme; it was like the important plotlines had begun, but there weren’t enough pieces in between the key scenes to flesh out the story or the characters. It felt like a well-written but early draft version that only did the minimum instead of becoming the deeper story it could’ve been.
Kendra Ardnek
A sweet retelling of B&B, with elements of the Secret Garden. Probably the best non-magical retelling of the story that I've read.
Lexxie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of all ages
I won this book through a giveaway from Amanda Tero. I had not read any of her work before. I am so impressed with the author and her writing.

On Amanda's website it states that she "desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material." In this book that is exactly what she did. I enjoyed this book and look forward to lending it to my younger cousins. Fiction that stirs your affection for God is the best kind of fiction. I loved the twist of Belle's father being the beast.

Not only
Victoria Minks
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah, I loved this book! It was super sweet and beautifully written. I don't read fairytales, but as a little girl, I always wished there were some clean, non-magical, no-romance princess stories I could read. :) This story is exactly the kind of book I wanted, and I would give this book to any young girl. That said, it's a nice read for even older people as well, and I really enjoyed it. It's short, and I almost wished it was a full-length novel, but it does make it nice for a pleasant afternoon ...more
Darla Damron
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good story! An encouragement to me to continue to pray for my own Father.

I love how the author shared the gospel and her story shared scripture throughout the pages. Very well done.
Melissa
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This re-imagined tale (is it a twist on both Beauty and the Beast and The Secret Garden?) will touch your heart, or it did mine. The "beast" is the Belle's estranged father, and Belle is not sure how to go about steps of restoration with someone who doesn't seem to want to know her. Her impetuous nature gets her in trouble several times, but as she looks to the Lord and realizes she must not grow weary in well doing, God brings about the nigh impossible.
Raechel
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a very good retelling of the familiar tale, Beauty and the Beast. And like other reviews have said, it was very unique in the fact that the Beast character was portrayed in this story as Belle's father, instead of a romantic interest. I thought that was very clever, and very well-done!
I loved the medieval feel to it - it was rich in that. And the decorative formatting of each chapter was just lovely! I thought that was beautiful.
Well-written, and captivating. My favourite of Miss Tero's
Sarah Briel
Short, sweet and beautiful, Befriending the Beast was really enjoyable to read. As a fairytale re-telling I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but it was masterfully told without (somehow) romance or magic.

Overall, it’s fairly short, definitely more of a novella than a novel.

The Christian content was really amazing. Straightforward and told masterfully without feeling preachy or anything.

I empathized with Belle, but didn’t really connect with any of the characters very deeply. They were written w
Becky Van Daniker
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
So I’m a dummy and read the sequel before reading Befriending the Beast by Amanda Tero. Once a gain, I wasn’t sure what I was going to get into when I first picked up this book. Most of us have probably watched the original animated version of Beauty and the Beast and perhaps even watched the latest live version. This is not the tale that you’ve grown to know and love. Readers will be refreshed with how different it is from the original tale. Just like The Secret Slipper, our main male character ...more
Leanne
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I normally enjoy reading a good retelling, but this one surprised me. I almost liked the plot twists this book took more then the originally story! The characters were wonderfully done, and fit in perfectly with the theme of Beauty and the Beast.

After leaving the castle as a child, it took a surprising twist to bring Belle back to her childhood home. Everyone at the castle was in for a big surprise when she arrived out of the blue, but the
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more

Tales of Faith (3 books)
  • The Secret Slipper (Tales of Faith #2)
  • Protecting the Poor (Tales of Faith, #3)
“That was how she felt. Like a petal clinging to its stem, hopeful of staying, fearful of being cast away.” 1 likes
“Dim light played on her face as she turned to wordless prayer, trusting that her Lord, Who saw her heart, knew what it was crying though she was unable to utter it.” 0 likes