Start by marking “Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility” as Want to Read:
Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility

Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility

“Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience - or give it a more fascinating name, call it hope.”―Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

Just a few years after their father’s business scandal shatters their lives, Jane and Celia Woodward find themselves forced out of their San Francisco tea shop. The last thing Jane wants is to leave their beloved shop on Valencia St
Published June 13th 2017 by Waterbrook Press (first published June 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Jane of Austin, please sign up.
DYezak Absolutely. That's why I can recommend this book.

Sophia
When their father embezzles and has to leave the country, three sisters determine to move on with their life enduring the bad reputation he left them, the loss of their tea shop's home in San Francisco, a move to Austin, Texas, and life's disappointments. But they have each other and that's what counts.

I adored this contemporary retelling of Jane Austen's classic Sense & Sensibility that tells the story of the love and losses of three sisters. It grasps the spirit and essentials of the class
Hannah
I read the first chapter online and expected to love it. I'm nuts about hot teas, and loved the whole tea-shop aspect. However, in the end, it fell flat. It's published by a Christian publisher, but not billed as such in the summary; thus, the sole reference to faith is that one character wishes to go to seminary and start a church plant; the MC, Jane, doesn't even ask if the dashing man who comes to their rescue is a believer or not, which obviously should be one of the first things a
Emilee
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book took me a little longer to get into. I wasn't crazy about either of Jane's romantic relationships and I'm not even sure I got her relationship with her sister, Celia. Margot, on the other hand, seemed more realistic. I liked Beckett well enough and Dash was a fun character. And then there was Nina, she was cool. The setting didn't win me over. The plot itself wasn't bad and the book reads easily.
Jess
I sort of think that when reading an adaptation of another work, not being totally in love with the original is a good thing. And while I enjoy all of Austen's novels, Sense & Sensibility is not my favorite. It doesn't even make my top three. And I say all of this, because I adored the HELL out of this adaptation of just that book.

It was just so charming! The sister fight felt so real, as did the falling for someone terrible and charming because you're in a new place where you don't know any
Suzie Waltner
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to admit something that may not be popular here. As a Jane Austen fan, one of her books I like least is a favorite of many. There’s just something about Sense and Sensibility that has always bothered me. Maybe it’s because Marianne Dashwood seems more flighty that heart-on-her sleeve to me, or that Elinor and Edward spend so little time together that I never get the feel for their relationship.

Whatever it is, I’m happy that there have been some adaptation of the original story that I h
Beth Erin
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish

This book exceeded my high expectations and was well worth the wait! Front and center in this story is a sisterly trio that won me over from the first page. The relationship Jane shares with her older sister Celia and younger sister Margot is grounded by a rare variety of unconditional and sacrificial love refined and strengthened by hardship and shared grief. I love them!

Through financial uncertainty, new adventures, and heartbreak, these quirky and loveable cha
Cassie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
Having read and fell in love with Hillary’s Two Blue Doors series, I was excited to read what she has next for readers. Her books have become a sweet treat!

This Sense and Sensibility retelling follows sisters Jane, Celia, and Margot when they are forced out of their tea shop and decide to move to Austin, Texas to rebuild their lives in a new city. And while I’ve never read the classic, I found this novel enjoyable as the sisters learn to adjust to life changes and new surroundings. I loved how t
Melissa
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this touching adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, Lodge stays true to Austen's tale, yet freshens it up for the modern audience. Fans will appreciate the homage, and those unfamiliar with the story will also thoroughly enjoy it as well. Likable characters, dastardly villains and fascinating information about tea and recipes, this book is everything Lodge's readers have come to expect from her delightful novels.
Jane Woodward and her sister Celia opened
Rachel
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a refreshing book. It's sweet, salty, full of likable characters and enough problems to keep things interesting. It's also a retelling of Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, set in Austin, Texas, in the present day.

I loved it. I really did! It had quite a few surprises to it, not the least being that it's told alternately from the POVs of the Marianne character and the Colonel Brandon character. They're not named that here, but that's who they are. And it's really neat to hear the stor
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
This book was utterly fantastic. I’m going to take a few breaths and collect my thoughts before I dive into this review, because I want to do it right. So first I’ll tell you a little on what the story is about.

Three sisters have to deal with the repercussions of their businessman father’s major scandal, but they manage to make the best of the situation by creating a business of their own–a cute tea shop in San Francisco. Years late when their landlord passes away, his nephew forces them out of
Sherwood Smith
Jul 24, 2017 added it
Shelves: romance
Another entry in Jane Austen-related books, this one a modern version of Sense and Sensibility, with the point of view characters switching between Jane (the middle sister, based on Marianne), and Callum, who is the Colonel Brandon character, which makes it clear that this retelling is more of a romance than social satire with some weddings.

The social satire really isn’t there at all, though there are many other elements to enjoy in this sometimes on-the-nose retelling. Celia, the elder sister,
Shantelle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge was a charming read. Fans of Jane Austen-esque novels, look no further! A retelling of Sense and Sensibility, this book was fun, sweet, bitter, and beautiful.

It's a contemporary, retelling a Regency tale of romance, heartache, and finding true love. I liked the sisters, Celia, Jane, and Margot. And it was fun getting it from Jane's (a.k.a. Marianne's) point of view. Truly, this was such a charming retelling of the beloved, classic tale, I didn't mind that i
Natalie
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sense and Sensibility is probably my favorite Jane Austen book, and though being a modern retelling this DEFINITELY doesn't measure up....it was still really really good.

And GUYS. This version of Colonel Brandon actually made me really, REALLY like him. *gasp* :D

Definitely recommend.
steph
Loved it. I closed the book with such a dopey grin on my face. This was a great modern retelling of Sense and Sensibility and I love the changes and liberties that the author took to make it her own (Tea! All the tea and Texas men). I really enjoyed having this story be told from Jane & Callum POV's, I wasn't expecting that take going into it but I loved it. Made their relationship much more believable in my opinion that the original.

The closeness that the three sisters shared was perfect. F
Michelle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was pretty excited to get this book in the mail. The cover is stunning and the whole idea of a modern day Sense and Sensibility is simply fun. The first part of the book had my complete attention and I couldn't put it down. I love the Woodward sisters and the family dynamic they create. Celia is probably my favorite sister but it's hard to say as there are fantastic secondary characters as well. LOVED learning about tea and the many recipes included are delightful. Sometimes in books you see ...more
Diane Estrella
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure how much it related to Jane Austen and her life and/or books but it was a well written, character driven story. The best thing in this story were the characters both primary and secondary. Seeing their lives unfold and where they would end up was a pleasure to follow. This story pulls your heart in many ways and is definitely relatable to our current times. I read the book in 24 hours time. :)

The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because there were
Amanda Geaney
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jane Austen has some of the most loyal, dare I say, obsessive fans. I feel the need to disclose that I do not attain to such fandom. However, I have read and enjoyed most of her books, Sense and Sensibility among them. In my basic familiarity with the original I was able to make a few direct connections to Lodge’s work. For instance, I fully expected Sean Willis to be a cad and Jane to eventually turn her affections towards Callum. The author retains enough elements of Austen’s work to label her ...more
Kara Isaac
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun modern twist on Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen and contemporary romance fans alike will fall in love with this warm, witty and charming story!
Sadie VanderKodde
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm actually not a big fan of Jane Austen. I've never even read Sense and Sensibility (on which this book is apparently based). But I loved Jane of Austin.

Celia, Jane, and Margot Woodward have faced a lot of tragedy in their young lives. After their mother dies in a car accident, their father is fired from his position in finance due to some questionable choices - choices that leave him on the run and his daughters on their own. Armed with a trust fund left behind by their mother, the girls sta
Cathy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. I started reading and just didn't stop until I'd finished. I think I got up to pee. Once.

I've only read Sense and Sensibility once, about 16 years ago I'd say, so the details of that novel have slipped my mind. It was never my favourite Austen (of the ones I've read) but I do remember liking it and always having some vague plan to reread it soon. I adored the 1995 movie version of the book, because Emma Thompson.

So I read this without really comparing it to the orig
Katie
This was good! I've been reading--or at least finishing--meh books this weekend and was hoping this would break the trend and it diiiid.

And, really, my complaints are about the original book. I don't get the Sean character and the transition from him to Callum was a little abrupt. And Teddy, just WHATEVER. I think that actually worked better for me in Sense & Sensibility, though still not WELL.

This book DOES improve on the SHE REMINDS OF ME OF MY OLD LOVE AND THAT'S WHY I LOVE HER. Improves
Rissa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was sweet, interesting a good twist on the story we all know and love
Eva
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This was a sweet, warm, beautiful book. It made me want to drink a bunch of tea, even though I hate tea. And Callum was the legit best.
Rissi
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Smart, sassy and sensational, Jane of Austin is a classic in its own right; a book worthy of placing next to its Austen inspired tome.”

Change is threatening to sweep the Woodward sister’s into its vicious cycle. In the wake of their father’s scandal, the sisters reinvent their life by opening a tea shop. Now, their landlord has died and his family no longer believe they’re good tenants. Forced to leave behind their home and business, the three sisters pack up and make the move from California t
Emily
After their father's business scandal, Jane and Celia Woodward find themselves without a home and with a younger sister to take care of. So they start a tea shop that does very well for years, until the new landlord of their shop ups their payment to higher than they can afford. With nowhere else to go, the sisters decide to start over in Austin, Texas with the help of their mother's cousin.

As you may have guessed from the title - Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility - this book
Staci
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Staci by: Beth
Shelves: read-in-2017
Such a sweet romance! Jane was delightful. And Callum...I am at a loss of words for this honorable former soldier. Mixed in with the romance was family drama, dating fiascos, tea making details and a bit of humor. The journey was lovely.

A word about Austin specifics...Amy's Ice Cream is simply delightful and the quirky ice creams names are right on track. While there is a river in Austin, the Colorado River, it is called Lady Bird Lake or Town Lake by locals. The novel mentions driving through B
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
Many have attempted to bring a modern version of Ms Austen’s works into life (remember Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, a commendable work?). Few have succeeded. I wanted a break from fantasy and thrillers. So, when I saw this book on Netgalley, I requested an ARC with great curiosity. The book was a delight. I am grateful to Netgalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for approving a free e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility by Hillary Manton
Callie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
As you probably saw on my list of books I brought on vacation, I have dipped my toes back into Jane Austen novels again this summer. I have also read other books that I enjoyed by Hillary Manton Lodge, so when I saw that she had written a modern retelling of Sense And Sensibility, it was just meant to be!

In Jane Of Austin, Jane and her sisters lose all their respectability when their father is accused of a financial crime - since they can no longer work in the financial world, they decide to ope
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
I admit, I have never read a Jane Austin book before. I have a few, but never read them because I am looking for something to give me a bit of a push into reading them. Jane of Austin started out promising and then a little less than half way though, flopped. It went from being unique to being just like every single other Contemporary book out there. Girl in trouble. Guy saves girl. Enter guy two. Que up love triangles and insta-loves. So on and so on.

This book started out okay but then it just
Kav
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen make way for Hillary Manton Lodge! Absolutely love this modern take on the classic Sense and Sensibility -- in fact I actually prefer it to the original! And now that I've offended die-hard Jane Austen fans I'll continue with my review. :-)

Love the dynamics between these three sisters. They've dealt with some pretty intense stuff and yet they've stuck together and created a soft place to land...until their life is disrupted in a major way all over again. The Woodwards are nothing if
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
  • The Austen Escape
  • How a Star Falls
  • Jane and Dorothy: A True Tale of Sense and Sensibility: The Lives of Jane Austen and Dorothy Wordsworth
  • Rational Creatures
  • Writing Jane Austen
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen
  • Lady Sparrow
  • Wish You Were Here (Wish You Were Here, #1)
  • Prejudice & Pride
  • Keep Holding On (Walker Family, #3)
  • Better Not Love Me
  • All Roads Lead to Austen: A Yearlong Journey with Jane
  • Jane Austen's Charlotte: Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barrett
  • The Making of Jane Austen
  • On the Edge
  • What Kitty Did Next
“Every woman swoons over a man walking out of a lake in a white shirt. It's a universal truth.” 8 likes