Start by marking “Whispers at Wongan Creek (Wongan Creek #1)” as Want to Read:
Whispers at Wongan Creek (Wongan Creek #1)

Whispers at Wongan Creek

(Wongan Creek #1)

Wongan Creek has a second chance at life, but new possibilities unearth long-buried secrets...

Travis Bailey may as well be Wongan Creek. His family has farmed canola for generations, and he sometimes feels like he holds the community together with his bare, dirt-stained hands. Between caring for the farm, his orphaned niece and his elderly, ailing neighbour, he doesn't hav
Published November 15th 2016 by Escape Publishing (first published November 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers at Wongan Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers at Wongan Creek

Start your review of Whispers at Wongan Creek (Wongan Creek #1)
Brenda
Travis Bailey was running the family canola farm and caring for his twin sister Tracy’s six year old daughter Casey, while keeping an eye on his elderly neighbour Harry. Tracy had died two years prior while Travis was away and he felt a whole lot of guilt. Their parents had become grey nomads after Tracy’s death as they tried to come to terms with what had happened.

Heather Penney was the social worker assigned to Travis and Casey; making sure Casey was happy and well looked after and Travis wasn
Bree Verity
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Intriguing Rural Romance
With a million things on his mind and a million things to take care of for his own farm and that of his elderly neighbour, Travis doesn't need the distraction of the new social worker Heather.
But as secrets come out, so does the passion between Travis & Heather. Only one big secret of Heather's could destroy their relationship before it even gets going.
Rural romance at its dusty best.
Helen
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great story so many emotions you will be laughing shedding tears and sighing as we journey a path to a HEA that is fabulous there is danger along the way bullies to be dealt with but above all we have a hero who is just gorgeous caring loving, a hero to dream of sit back and enjoy.

Heather Penney is a social worker working in the town of Wongan Creek this is a rural town but with a gold mine as well and at the moment she is working with Travis Bailey and his niece Casey and getting
Shirley Wine
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An edge of your seat read.

I enjoyed Whispers At Wongan Creek from beginning to end. It was filled with an edgy suspense that kept returning again and again to the rumours and the whispers that kept on surfacing ... were these Whispers concealing a much darker truth than the townsfolk suspected. .. not to give anything away, this was a thoroughly entertaining read, peopled with delightful Hará tres like Harry who keeps losing his sheep to the thoroughly nasty villain whose charm lulls his neighbo
Jenny
Whispers At Wongan Creek is about how family secrets and guilt can destroy a family. Travis Bailey never believed that his twin sister committed suicide, leaving her daughter Casey alone in the house. However, his parents and the community do not agree with him. So Travis Bailey continues to battle on looking after the farm, Casey and his neighbour Harry. However, Travis Bailey life became more complicated after Harry went missing. The readers of Whispers At Wongan Creek will continue to follow ...more
Claire Boston
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Juanita Kees has done it again with a book full of loveable, quirky characters that you want to get to know. Whispers deals with regrets, issues about aging and health, but is still funny, engaging and emotional. It's well worth a read.
Claire
In a category of rural romantic suspense, this book was full of heart, interesting characters, community, secrets and a couple of unsavoury characters. At the heart of the story are Travis and his niece Casey (who's absolutely adorable) who have both suffered a great loss and are working hard to prove to the powers that be that they should remain together as a family. Travis is a gorgeous guy (I'd love a Travis of my own) and a great uncle and has a huge heart for the people in the community.

Rec
Dísir
This is a lovely read that brings the rural setting of a small Australian town vividly to life and two unlikely people together, while perfectly capturing the strong ties that the characters have to the land and the struggle that they face as it undergoes the inevitable development that comes. But as with small towns, some secrets stay murky until something catastrophic forces them to come to light.

I loved Travis Bailey and the heavy sense of responsibility that he has tried to shoulder from th
Lily Malone
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story of Travis and Heather. Travis in particular is brilliant at doing a balancing act between his farm, and raising his niece, plus keeping an eye on his increasingly forgetful neighbour - who has 'misplaced' his sheep (again) as the story starts.
Travis's care for his elderly neighbour is one of the highlights of the book. This is such a big issue everywhere but in country towns when men or women have farmed the land all their lives and have such a great connection to it, a
Talking Books
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Travis' outlook, his demeanour, his heart of gold, everything about his character was completely endearing, Heather equally so. From the start of the story their characters stood out. I was captivated from the first page and couldn't tear my eyes away from this oftentimes riveting read. Many characters to like, some less so, but both collide for an unmissable read. Twists in the story and confronting moments throughout that kept the pages turning. The townsfolk were ...more
Susanna Rogers
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second rural romance I've read by Juanita Kees and it's even better than the previous one. The story has heaps of heart provided by the wonderful hero Travis who takes care of his nice, and more heart provided by Heather, the social worker who wants to help against all odds. There's also a great cast of characters. A fabulous read.
Sonia Bellhouse
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Travis Bailey is a stalwart of Wongan Creek and an all-round good guy. He's caring for his elderly and sometimes disorientated neighbour Harry, as well as his orphaned niece. There are many burdens on his broad shoulder as he's been left in charge of the family farm. His day brightens when they are visited by the replacement social worker Heather Penny. She's there to check on Casey his niece's wellbeing. Heather has her own secrets and burdens, trying to recover from her mother's death from mot ...more
Renee
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2016, australian
A fantastic rural romance with depth and an underlying mystery.

I had a particular soft spot for Harry - the tough old farmer who lived on the adjoining property and who was slipping into dementia. I loved the romance that developed between Travis and Heather and the lighthearted humour that wove through the story. Deeper issues such as sexual harassment and how mining affects a farming town were also explored.
Dawn
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Wongan Creek where Travis is keeping the farm going, raising a niece and helping neighbors while Heather is trying to work and keep going in spite of her health. Travis and Heather have a journey to find their future together. Always enjoy these rural settings with good plot and characters to keep the reader enthralled.

Ebook from Netgalley and publishers with thanks. Opinions are entirely my own.
Vivienne Darden
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, sadness, and happy times again.

I had a really hard time putting this book down. It has a good story line. I cried during the happy times and it made me think about my own feelings about my love life and feelings. I really like the book.
Mojca
***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

The story was good and nicely written, the characters were interesting (if a little too stubborn and self-pitying on the heroine's side), the mystery or suspense was nicely drawn out and gripping at the appropriate times, but the story was a tad too long. By the half-mark it started dragging, and most of the scenes and/or inner monologues came off as fillers without much true purpose.

It would've worked better as a short story.
Cat
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Lovers of romance novels will enjoy this story. I thought it would be a bit more and was mistaken; not my cup of tea, but it is well written and characters are interesting, so I am sure lots of women will enjoy this tale. Just not for me.
Melanie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this read a bit too much like mills and boons to me; just couldn't get absorbed into the story and abandoned it.
poppy
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it,this is the first book ive read by Juanita Kees and i cant wait for more.I just loved travis and the way he approached life this book will make you cry so be warned will also make you chuckle though. Recommended its great
Margaret McKee
Lynette Williams
Jul 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Willows Bend
  • The Cafe by the Bridge (Chalk Hill #2)
  • Winter's Walk
  • Suddenly One Summer (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #1)
  • Secrets Of Whitewater Creek
  • Ruby's Outback Love (Outback Australia #2)
  • Different This Time (Molly Downs Outback Romance Series #1)
  • The Long Paddock (Woodlea, #1)
  • A Place with Heart (Rangelands Series #2)
  • The Brighton Guest House Girls: Hardship, heartache and the healing power of friendship
  • Raven Falls
  • Return to Emira
  • Pepper Creek
  • Legacy Of Hunters Ridge (Hunters Ridge #1)
  • Riley Junction
  • Indigo Storm
Finding love and hope in small towns with dark secrets …
Juanita escapes the real world by reading and writing Australian Rural Romance novels with elements of suspense, Australian Fantasy Paranormal and Small Town USA stories. Her romance novels star spirited heroines who give the hero a run for his money before giving in. She creates emotionally engaging worlds steeped in romance, suspense, myste

Wongan Creek (3 books)
  • Secrets at Wongan Creek (Wongan Creek #2)
  • Shadows Over Wongan Creek (Wongan Creek, #3)