Start by marking “Finding Nevo” as Want to Read:
Finding Nevo

Finding Nevo

Meet Nevo: girl, boy, he, she, him, her, they, them, daughter, son, teacher, student, friend, gay, bi, lesbian, trans, homo, Jew, dyke, masculine, feminine, androgynous, queer. Nevo was not born in the wrong body. Nevo just wants everyone to catch up with all that Nevo is. Personal, political and passionate, Finding Nevo is an autobiography about gender and everything that ...more
Published May 2017 by Black Dog Books

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
*3.5 STARS*

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Such an important, personal account of Nevo as they transitioned their gender identity and found who they were. I learnt a lot about gender dysphoria, the Jewish community and transgender identities.

Full review to come.

I'll be discussing this book on OZYAY on ABC Radio on 4 June 2017 at 7-8 pm AEST! Tune in on your local ABC Radio station, via the ABC Radio app or at https://radio.abc.net.au/.
Suzie Bull
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an essential teen autobiography to understand what it is like for someone who lives their life as queer, transmasculine and non-binary. Born a Jewish girl in Melbourne, Nevo faces the internal and external battle of coming to terms with their masculine side. For a 20 year old, Nevo lives their life and writes this biography with such emotional maturity. Of particular interest, is the insight Nevo shares about how life is different when been 'passed' as a man as opposed to being considere ...more
Clare Snow
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Clare by: AusYABloggers Reading Challenge 2018
Such an important book! Everyone needs to read this.

"I don't identify with the words female or male. They are not my words. The space in which I have felt gendered female and transitioned to gendered male has been in the ways people have treated me."

I wasn't sure I wanted to read it (I didn't so much like Nevo's love for their religion). But it fit in with January's prompts for the LoveOzYA/NZ reading challenge https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/... . I was challenged and I liked it.

"Privilege
Jordi
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-in-2017
I have a lot of love for this book, but my detailed thoughts are currently embargoed.
It's out in May - hound your favourite bookseller to put a copy aside for you, 'kay?
Alison Evans
oh my gosh????? oh my gosh
Pocket Full of Pages
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-our-shelf
Firstly, we would just like to say a huge thank you to Walker Books Australia for sending us a copy of ‘Finding Nevo’ to review.

This was a beautiful insight into a person’s journey to discover themselves.

We found this autobiography to be really insightful. We would definitely recommend this novel to everyone. This book would be great to help educate children on gender, sexuality, feminism, culture and faith.

This is one of the first autobiographies that we have read based on the topic of gender a
evelyn hugo’s #1 fan
this book is forever my happy place
Janelle Dazzlepants
It’s kind of serendipitous how Finding Nevo found its way into my life.

I was at my local Dymocks in Melbourne trying to find a new read, when this happened to catch my eye. I’ve been making a conscious effort to read more diversely this year, with some additional prompting provided by #diversitybingo2017, and I’d been on the lookout for an own voices book by a non-binary author. Not only did this fulfill what I was looking for, but I realised the author was part of the queer community in Melbou
Indy
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and emotional insight into a young persons journey of self discovery. It follows Nevo through their later teen years and early twenties, as they discover who they really are.

It was beautifully written and very insightful. I would highly recommend this to everyone.

I throughly enjoyed reading about Nevo's experiences as identifying as a lesbian, through transitioning to male and then identifying as queer, transmasculine and non binary, and the differences they encountered in
Chiara
My Thoughts

I will always find it hard to review autobiographies because it’s reviewing an actual person’s life, their journey, and who they are, which is why there is no star rating for this review. Nevertheless I need and want to review Finding Nevo because I’ve never read anything like it, and I think this should be required reading for literally everyone.

Finding Nevo follows the life of Nevo from a very young age up until around now – when they’re in their twenties. Throughout the book Nevo g
Aimee
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Finding Nevo from Walker Books Australia to review. This is Nevo’s debut novel and I think it’s a book everyone should read.

This is the first autobiography I’ve read about someone who has transitioned. I’ve read fictional stories but never someone’s actual experience. I’m glad that Finding Nevo was my first one. Nevo goes by he/him and they/them pronouns. I’ll be using they/them in my review.

Nevo’s story was not only very eye-opening, I learned a lot from their story, but al
Michael Earp
Finding Nevo is the story of a person trying to find their place in a world that cannot seem to wrap its head around the very idea of a non-binary existence. Personal and heart felt, the fact that this book exists now places the ball in your court to educate yourself on the ways that society (you and me included) causes harm with expectations.
"It is absurd to expect people of oppressed minorities to calm themselves and educate you delicately on a topic you don't understand because you haven't pu
Claire
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: required-reading
This book is beautiful. This book is difficult. This book is important. I thoroughly enjoyed and also struggled with this work. Nev's journey thus far is challenging and at some points downright awful, yet they manage to imbue their words with light and love and strength. Their indomitable spirit rings most clearly through this work. Beyond autobiographical details, beyond political comments, beyond skilful prose - it is Nev's bright and persevering self who shines through all of this. Reading t ...more
Lily
Honestly, this book should be mandatory reading in Australian schools.

For such a young voice, Nevo is wise beyond their years. This biography is thoughtful, nuanced, powerful and fierce. The author deftly explores gender, sexuality, feminism and the way these intersect with faith and culture in present day Australia.

This book was powerful, important and absolutely needed.

Full review to come.
Sam Van
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an incredibly generous resource this book is and will be - for young people and adults alike. While aimed at a younger audience, Nevo never speaks down or shies away. I'll be disappointed if this book doesn't end up on school lists.
Jess 📚
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5!

This book is VERY IMPORTANT! Please read it!!
Giselle A Nguyen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading this book felt like having an intimate and personal conversation with Nevo about their life and the complexities of gender. A quick but important read, and one that is sure to be a cornerstone of gender education for high school students.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Important and influential. Nevo is an exciting new voice in publishing.
Bernadette (The Bumbling Bookworm)
This review was originally posted on The Bumbling Bookworm

I chose this book to meet the second January prompt for the AustraliaYABloggers Reading Challenge, to read a book featuring a non-binary, genderfluid or genderqueer point of view protagonist.  This was a quick read for me, but boy did it pack a punch.  This is a deeply personal memoir of Nevo's gender dysphoria, and the transitioning of their gender identity over time from childhood until their early twenties.

I found this book to be eye-o
Emma
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though Nevo is always mindful to point out that this their story only, I'm sure everyone who has ever felt other than the "norm" will relate to this honest, beautifully expressed account of a young person questioning their identity.
N
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must for inclusion in all secondary school libraries. A genuine honest account of finding personal gender identity and encouraging community inclusivity instead of phobia.
Glaiza
A great memoir that shares the complexity of non-binary identity, and identity as part of both Jewish and queer communities.
Joan
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender, melbourne
This was so wholesome and sweet and important 💕💕💕
Sarah Mayor Cox
Wow! What a great book! A book about identity, inclusion, understanding and empathy.
Such a strong authorial voice - right from the start of this book. So convincing and engaging, especially from such a ‘young’ and ‘new’ author. Finding Nevo is such an important and empowering book - which can speak to YAs and their parents on so many levels.

Although it’s about Nevo’s very personal journey, I took so many great quotes from it that are applicable to so many situations (for me this is always a sign
Catherine

Not all men sexually harass, but all men need to be taught not to. - Nevo Zisin

I have only ever been me. Sometimes, I have been more authentically myself, but I have only ever transitioned from me to a better version of me. I don't identify with the words "female" or "male". They are not my words. The space in which I have felt gendered female and transitioned to gendered male has been in the ways people have treated me. - Nevo Zisin

This is a book that I think needs to be available to all youn

BAYA Librarian
Finding Nevo, an autobiography, follows Nevo's journey in discovering their identity while being a youth in Australia. Nevo describes their childhood and teen years as they try to determine their femininity, masculinity, who they are attracted to, and how to describe themselves to their family and friends. They describe their difficulties with family acceptance as they came out and through bullying, both in school and over social media. The struggle to determine their own identity and body image ...more
Jessica M
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Finding Nevo by Nevo Zisin is an inspirational memoir about identity and discovery. This is Nevo’s journey towards understanding their body and discovering who they want to be in the world.

This isn’t a long read — about 200 pages — and the book is incredibly informative. Nevo explains a lot of things about being non-binary and also transgender that readers can learn from, and this is not just medically or physiologically, but mentally.

When Nevo was going through various
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
Anybody who is differently-gendered is almost definitely going to have a hard time growing up. Even with open-minded parents and supportive friends, the person is still going to meet a lot of prejudice. The world's a difficult enough place for anybody who doesn't stand out from the crowd, so for anyone who doesn't blend in with the rest it's just going to be hard.

Nevo writes about his childhood as a girl, about always wanting to be a boy. He thinks for a while that he's a lesbian, then a bi- , b
Mistress Bast
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, loveozya
4 1/2 stars.
This was a great book, and one I would recommend to a wide range of people - especially teenagers who are confidently cis-gendered.

I initially picked this book up because I was curious, and wanted to learn more about transgender experience so I could better avoid accidentally hurting someone through my own ignorance. But Nevo is a great story teller, and with short chapters it is very easy to get sucked in and read much later into the night than you really should!

I was impressed wit

• Talk Under Water
  • One True Thing
  • White Night
  • Frankie
  • Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies (Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies, #1)
“Not all men sexually harrass, but all men need to be taught not to.” 7 likes
“I don't identify with the words female or male. They are not my words. The space in which I have felt gendered female and transitioned to gendered male has been in the ways people have treated me.” 1 likes