Start by marking “The Power of Resilience” as Want to Read:
The Power of Resilience

The Power of Resilience

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
FROM THE AUTHORS OF THE LANDMARK "RAISING RESILIENT CHILDREN "COMES A GUIDE TO RESILIENT LIVING FOR ADULTS""Brooks and Goldstein have created a uniquely wise guide summarizing a vast amount of research into a practical set of strategies to overcome adversity and live a stress-hardy life."--Jack Canfield, author of "Chicken Soup for the Soul(R)

""Continuing their pioneering
Published January 1st 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Resilience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Resilience

Paula
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is much about this book that is rehashed. If you've read books on Attribution Theory and Reframing, then you've heard it all before. The section in which he defines Attribution Theory was particularly disappointing. There is so much more to the theory than the author credits. The author briefly introduces Learned Helplessness, but then I've always considered that the weakest point of Attribution Theory. The greater part of the theory, such as the effects of Cognitive Dissonance, is not cov ...more
William Schram
With anecdotes and practical advice, this book does a good job at what it offers. It also contains a section for you to write in it and make it your own, but since I got this book from the Library I did not think it proper to do so.

The book has a pretty typical presentation. It splits the ideas to make you more resilient into different chapters and gives explanations on how to achieve your goals.

While it wasn't particularly phenomenal or outstanding I assume that following the advice in the book
Carnell  Griffin
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motivation

During times of negativity this has helped to stay focused on long term goes and strive for true happiness and balance. If you looking for guidance on how to move forward in life and experience more satisfaction, it is here
Nancy
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to make their lives better
Recommended to Nancy by: Robert Brooks
Shelves: psychology
I recently saw Robert Brooks speak at a local school. I enjoyed him there (which is why I bought the book), and I enjoyed what he had to say in this book as well. In his view, resilience pretty much boils down to the ability to be empathic, re-writing negative scripts, and having a positive mindset. Most of what he suggests seems like obvious common sense, but it surprising how often we forget to use it. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a nice simple reminder of how best to treat yourself and ...more
Anna Sinova
Interesting review of research on differences between people who are more and less resilient. However he does not provide any practical or achievable way to change other than suggesting to act like the more resilient people. I wish the book instead discussed the research on effective strategies that result in people being more resilient. I suspect, just telling people to be so does not work very well.
Christina
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A self-help book that is a cut above the rest. This book divides "resilience" into several different qualities that resilient people have and then offers suggestions on how to cultivate these qualities. I found the chapters on handling stress, avoiding perfectionistic thinking, and maintaining self-control particularly helpful. The many anecdotes from the authors' joint therapy practice make the book an engaging read.
Karlene Olesuk
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading less and less self-help books these days, but I'm about half-way through this book....at least I think it's the title, since there are a few resilience books out there. I like the "resilience score" they make you do for yourself and explaining their method as well as some common sense tips.
Loretta Estrada
I'm anticipating reading this book once I've finished my current reads. It's waiting for me on my nightstand. I heard Robert Brooks speak at a conference spring 2009. He was an accessible, intelligent speaker. His book will hopefully be the same.
Rebekah
I've been working through this one on and off for almost a year, reading when I didn't feel as strong as I wanted to be. The result? I've decided that through all the events and constant changes in my life, I'm actually more resilient than I thought. I just need little reminders once in a while.
Morgan
Apr 06, 2010 marked it as started-but-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Dr. Brooks talk about how to raise resilient children at the Children's Museum (for work). Great speaker! But I've never gotten past the first chapter of a self-help book and this one was no different.
Lucretia Cioata
We all must endure setbacks and impasses in our lives!
Ylva
May 09, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-etc
recommended by lecturer
Pennyb4437
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information about building your own and other's resilience.
Martin Goldberg
Just OK. Could have been so much better. "Succeeding When Your Supposed To Fail" by Rom Brafman is a similar book and WAY better.
Rhenz
This book will help me in improving my personality.
Ashley
Oct 11, 2017
Jan Campbell
Jan 24, 2015
Jared
rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The EFT Manual
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • When Parents Hurt: Compassionate Strategies When You and Your Grown Child Don't Get Along
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • The Sedona Method
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
Librarian Note: There is more than one author named "Robert Brooks" on goodreads.
More about Robert B. Brooks...