Start by marking “Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse” as Want to Read:
Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse

Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse

For millions of men on the path to recovery, Victims No Longer is the next step.

The first book written specifically for men, Victims No Longer examines the changing cultural attitudes toward male survivors of incest and other sexual trauma. Now, in this Second Edition, this invaluable resource continues to offer compassionate and practical advice, supported by personal ane
Paperback, Second Edition, 464 pages
Published May 11th 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published November 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Victims No Longer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victims No Longer

Terri
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every adult
This is a must read book for men who were sexually abused. Loved ones and friends will benefit from reading it, also. The vignettes are not too numerous, and they are eloquent and contain enough details to illustrate the horror of what was experienced without gratuitous, lengthy descriptions of the abuse. Some of the stories do not address the abuse directly, but instead encourage the reader to work on their issues, and to have hope that they will get through the recovery process. I really canno ...more
Marisa Bennett
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is heartbreaking to know that so many sexual abuse victims are male, and that so few are willing to step forward for healing. This book was at the forefront of the field, and is still on of the best out there! I highly recommend you get this book if you are a male suffering to deal with the issues of sexual abuse, or are a woman trying to understand your partner/friend's behavior. Encourage THERAPY!!!
carl
Apr 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A nice addition to "The Courage to Heal" book which was primarily aimed at women.
John
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse by Mike Lew. For men recovering from being abused or sexually molested as children, I recommend this book. I bought this book in the first edition and read it several times. The first edition helped me so much, I'm buying the second edition and reading it again and getting much more out of it now that I am more stable and healthy. Both of the editions (first and second) helped me to be a much happier person, leaving ...more
Paul Norris
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this book is relevant to you or anyone close to you, I'd call it a must read.
Daniel Bulek
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trauma
Lew presents a framework to understand the experience of male survivors of abuse as well as a path for recovery. Recommended for both those seeking recovery and those seeking to guide.
Miklos
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much of the literature on sexual abuse and trauma focuses on women as victims. This isn't an accident and there are countless resources for female survivors dealing with trauma from sexual abuse. However, men are often left out of the equation for several reasons, ranging from sheer ignorance to denial to disbelief. Nevertheless, men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse are out there and their isolation is compounding their abuse.
On the spectrum between academic and lay reading, Mike Lew
Tom
A very powerful book
Kenn Chaplin
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm still reading this, coming back to it again and again - a priceless resource!
Flower
Interesting book that opened my eyes to a silent crime in this country. A crime that is not talked about but effects way more people than I could have ever imagined.
20180301
Jun 02, 2014
Kris Connolly
Oct 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Secret Survivors
  • Beginning to Heal
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Rape: Sex, Violence, History
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and for All
  • The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease
  • Schema Therapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • Hell Minus One
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • I Never Called It Rape
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Peoplemaking
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
“Another question I am frequently asked is, "What do you mean by recovery?" It has taken me a while to answer that one. I had been depending on other people's definitions of recovery until I developed one that worked for me (just as you must come to one that makes sense for you.) Mine is simple. For me, it is about freedom.
Recovery is the freedom to make choices in your life that aren't determined by the abuse.
The specific choices will be different for each of you; the freedom to choose is your birthright.”
2 likes
“...there is a particular focus of the problem faced only by men. It arises from our culture providing no room for a man as victim.” 1 likes