Start by marking “Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse” as Want to Read:
Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse

Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse

For millions of men on the path to recovery, Victims No Longer is the next step.

The first book written specifically for men, Victims No Longer examines the changing cultural attitudes toward male survivors of incest and other sexual trauma. Now, in this Second Edition, this invaluable resource continues to offer compassionate and practical advice, supported by personal ane
Paperback, Second Edition, 464 pages
Published May 11th 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published November 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Victims No Longer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victims No Longer

Start your review of Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse
Terri
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every adult
This is a must read book for men who were sexually abused. Loved ones and friends will benefit from reading it, also. The vignettes are not too numerous, and they are eloquent and contain enough details to illustrate the horror of what was experienced without gratuitous, lengthy descriptions of the abuse. Some of the stories do not address the abuse directly, but instead encourage the reader to work on their issues, and to have hope that they will get through the recovery process. I really canno ...more
Marisa Bennett
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is heartbreaking to know that so many sexual abuse victims are male, and that so few are willing to step forward for healing. This book was at the forefront of the field, and is still on of the best out there! I highly recommend you get this book if you are a male suffering to deal with the issues of sexual abuse, or are a woman trying to understand your partner/friend's behavior. Encourage THERAPY!!!
carl
Apr 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A nice addition to "The Courage to Heal" book which was primarily aimed at women.
John
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse by Mike Lew. For men recovering from being abused or sexually molested as children, I recommend this book. I bought this book in the first edition and read it several times. The first edition helped me so much, I'm buying the second edition and reading it again and getting much more out of it now that I am more stable and healthy. Both of the editions (first and second) helped me to be a much happier person, leaving ...more
Paul Norris
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this book is relevant to you or anyone close to you, I'd call it a must read.
Jakey
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Important reading for those who had any inappropriate things happen to them as a child. This book is really helpful as a man particularly, as it can feel especially hard to open up about the sexually traumatic things that happen to us. This book gives you a language, vocabulary, and a container to explore your innermost pains in a therapeutic way.
Daniel Bulek
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trauma
Lew presents a framework to understand the experience of male survivors of abuse as well as a path for recovery. Recommended for both those seeking recovery and those seeking to guide.
Richard Ferguson
A must read for Male survivors

An in depth, balanced presentation of the challenges male survivors face and a blueprint of how to move forward and heal. I have read this book multiple times with new insights each time. Sometimes hard to read it covers many difficult subjects that a survivor needs to face. Highly recommended for those just starting the journey and those that think they have arrived.
Miklos
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much of the literature on sexual abuse and trauma focuses on women as victims. This isn't an accident and there are countless resources for female survivors dealing with trauma from sexual abuse. However, men are often left out of the equation for several reasons, ranging from sheer ignorance to denial to disbelief. Nevertheless, men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse are out there and their isolation is compounding their abuse.
On the spectrum between academic and lay reading, Mike Lew
Tom
A very powerful book
Kenn Chaplin
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm still reading this, coming back to it again and again - a priceless resource!
Flower
Interesting book that opened my eyes to a silent crime in this country. A crime that is not talked about but effects way more people than I could have ever imagined.
20180301
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Autobiography In Five Short Chapters
  • The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities
  • The Dream Giver for Couples
  • Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends
  • Rejection Proof: How I Beat Fear and Became Invincible Through 100 Days of Rejection
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • God in a Brothel: An Undercover Journey Into Sex Trafficking and Rescue
  • To Stop a Warlord: My Story of Justice, Grace, and the Fight for Peace
  • Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work
  • In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars
  • The Doors of Perception & Heaven and Hell
  • Fearless: The Heroic Story of One Navy SEAL's Sacrifice in the Hunt for Osama Bin Laden and the Unwavering Devotion of the Woman Who Loved Him
  • Shadow of the Giant (Ender's Shadow, #4)
  • Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story
  • Hometowns
  • Friends And Lovers: Gay Men Write About The Families They Create
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • Rising Strong

Related Articles

“To "see both sides" of a problem is the surest way to prevent its complete solution. Because there are always more than two sides. —Idries Shah, REFLECTIONS” 1 likes
“Another question I am frequently asked is, "What do you mean by recovery?" It has taken me a while to answer that one. I had been depending on other people's definitions of recovery until I developed one that worked for me (just as you must come to one that makes sense for you.) Mine is simple. For me, it is about freedom.
Recovery is the freedom to make choices in your life that aren't determined by the abuse.
The specific choices will be different for each of you; the freedom to choose is your birthright.”
1 likes