Start by marking “Replica (Replica, #1)” as Want to Read:
Replica (Replica, #1)

Replica

(Replica #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  12,587 ratings  ·  2,248 reviews
Lyra's story begins in the Haven Institute, a building tucked away on a private island off the coast of Florida that from a distance looks serene and even beautiful. But up close the locked doors, military guards, and biohazard suits tell a different story. In truth, Haven is a clandestine research facility where thousands of replicas, or human models, are born, raised, an ...more
Published October 11th 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published October 4th 2016)

·  12,587 ratings  ·  2,248 reviews

Adam Silvera
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

5 stars! Actually, this is technically two-books-in-one so that means it's a 10 star read :)

Full spoiler-free review soon, but for now, just know that I took my sweet, sweet time reading this because I loved it so much. Both stories, that is. I did have a SLIGHT preference to Lyra's narrative because she's a clone ("replica") and I love reading books that are very familiar to our world with a speculative twist to them, and that's what Lyra's story offered
Trina (Between Chapters)
This is one of the most fatmisic books I've ever read. It's blatantly harmful and never once challenged the fat shaming. It also has a good deal of thin shaming. I would really recommend avoiding this book if you've ever had an eating disorder. There are also microaggressions toward mental illness, and a trigger warning for self harm.

See my reading updates for direct quotes from the book and why I felt they were problematic. My thoughts on the fat rep are from experience, as I'm a fat reviewer.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, I liked the idea anyway!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Nastassja

Two girls, two stories. One epic journey for truth, friendship, family and love. Sounds quite intriguing, right?

Reality check: teenage drama, teenage hormones, teenage bitchiness, teenage love saves the world.

This book is - quoting: Replica is an ambitious, thought-provoking masterwork.

Ambitious - yes, plenty of it. Thought-provoking - um, abs-provoking? I know it's not New Adult level, but Replica is very good at reclining from the main theme, diving into sexuality instead of sci-fi element it claimsmasterwork.

world.
class="gr-hostedUserImg">

Reality
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I have always appreciated Ms. Lauren Oliver’s writing and creativity. The inventive layout of her latest novel was enough to convince me to buy the book as I have never encountered a flip book until Replica.

Yep,just one book. Cool, right?

I decided to start with Lyra’s story just because I prefer blue over yellow (lol). To be an “it”, a replica, made at the so called "Haven" facility and be somehow content made me admire her character. I admit to not immediately liking her story because it started a bit slow but I’m telling
Monsters, they call us. Demons.
Sometimes, on sleepless nights, we wonder if they’re right.

I love what Lauren Oliver set out to do in Replica. She writes two books that can essentially be read on their own, but they ultimately enhance the experience if read them together as you’ll get more to the story. This format is perfect in this particular story as it focuses on the themes of individuality and identity in a world where there are clones, or human replicas (unbeknownst to the rest of the world).

Heather
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
What a ride! I really loved how the whole concept of this book & how you can flip it to each character's side and the story ebbs and flows perfectly!
I also loved the sci-fi element! Cloning and these replica's, so interesting! It makes you question how far we should go with new science and what really makes you human!
Will def. be picking up the sequel in the fall!

I am filming a book review on this so I can share my thoughts on it, how I personally read it and
Only 99p/$1.34 on Kindle at the moment!
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replica-Laur...
US - https://www.amazon.com/Replica-Lauren...

“They’ve been experimenting on the replicas,”

This was a YA sci-fi story, about clones.

Lyra was an okay character, and I did feel sorry for her, her side of the story didn’t feel very well-fleshed out though, and once I’d read Gemma’s story, Lyra’s almost seemed a bit unnecessary.

Gemma was a fuller character, and I liked her story much better. We actually got a lot more explanation as to whEdelweiss.)
Dannii Elle
It is such a shame that I could not give this book a higher rating, as I found the ideology behind the conception of the story, as well as how the book was physically set out, to be both unique and interesting.

This story is told from the split perspective of Lyra and Gemma. Gemma is your average teenager, obsessed with how her peers perceive her and concerned over high-school dramas. Lyra isn't actually a human being at all, and is instead a cloned replica of an original person. She
Asma
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
If you had any doubts about REPLICA by Lauren Oliver, you can drop them. Because this book is wonderfully marvelous through and through. It's complex, it's different, it's mind-bending. It's everything you've ever wanted.

From the start, we're thrust into Lyra's world of hospitals and replicas, twisting in with Gemma's life of secrets. I read REPLICA alternating between Lyra and Gemma's chapters, which I believe lets us know more than reading each side of the story separately.

I loved
Tatiana
A little better than I thought it would be.

Although "Never Let Me Go" this is not, the whole replica setup is fairly interesting. But, of course, the moral dilemmas of cloning are mostly forgotten to give space to romances. Which kind of grated because the span of the story is about 3 days, and both girls manage to fall in love with strangers anyway. Eh.

Only interested in how the duology ends if someone recaps the second book for me. Clones living on a scary compound hold
Stacee
I really liked the idea of this story being told from two entirely different sides.

I started with Gemma and was instantly captivated. The pages turned quickly and I couldn't wait to see what was next. I also really enjoyed Pete and their scenes together. Even when they were in danger, Pete was taking care of Gemma.

The Lyra side wasn't as exciting to me. I did like her scenes with Caelum and how they were slowly figuring things out.

The mirrored scenes weren't a complete copy. My main complaint
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
I liked the idea of a 2-in-1 book, but it only worked when MCs were separate.
I also liked the idea of the story, but overall, I can't say I enjoyed it. I also couldn't connect with characters, so I didn't really even care about them.
Not sure if I'm going to continue the series.
Sandra
Dec 15, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
NEW LAUREN OLIVER BOOK!

I want it now!!!
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

They say there’s three sides to every story – and there’s three ways of reading Replica. With two stories printed on either side of the book, you can choose to read one story at a time, or alternate chapters between Lyra and Gemma, which is what I did.

Lyra is a replica who starts off life in a research institute, who has never known anything else. Being subjected to endless medical experiments and seeing countless peers suf
Cesar
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

description

There comes a day when an author you like writes a book you aren't fond of. This is one of those days, unfortunately.

I'm a fan of Lauren Oliver. I liked Before I Fall, the Delirium trilogy (Yes, I did like Requiem but a little miffed about the ending), and I even liked Panic, Rooms and Vanishing Girls despite their flaws. So when Lauren announ
Suzanne
This is a hard book to rate. The alternating aspect is something I have no idea if I like or not honestly. I started with Lyra's story first then read Gemma's story. The beginning is rather slow but then picks up around the halfway point of Lyra's story. Around this part it sucked me in enough to enjoy Gemma's for the most part. I have book two of the duology with me right now so will read it by alternating POVs back and forth after each chapter to see if I like that more or less.
Rose
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars. "You are mine and I am yours."

This book was really unexpected & unique in so many ways. The fact that it's split in half and can be read in like a million different ways felt really confusing to me at first, but it actually works PERFECTLY.

The only bad thing I can say is that I felt disconnected. The characters were likable, the story was intriguing, but I didn't love this.

At first I thought this was going to be a standalone and I was happy about that, but nope. It's a seriesstars.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

When I first heard about this new Lauren Oliver book, I knew it would be nothing short of amazing. This is the story of a clone and a human, both connected to a disturbing human cloning institute. I would say that the way that this book is written is one of the best parts, since there are so many options. Replica is sure to blow your mind.

Replica is a story all about clones, human replicas. The story is told in two perspectives, a clone's and a human's. Basically
Kat
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-1
Interesting look at cloning and human experimentation from the perspective of two girls—one who has grown up in a lab as a human guinea pig, and another whose father is responsible for the experiments, and who is trying to figure out what exactly her connection is to the Haven Institute. Really good emotional exploration.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Jacquelyn
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I've ever been happier to have finished a book in my life. You may ask why I didn't DNF this? Truly, I don't know. I was buddy reading this with Audris so I didn't want to give up on it (even though she wasn't enjoying it either). However, about halfway through, I did start skimming and was paying little to no attention to the plot, characters, etc. I just did not care about anything in this book.

I've seen a lot of reviews mentioning how they enjoyed the aspect of having
Dany Burns
I found this book to be a little dry. I think lots of people were excited for this book because of the format where on one side is one girl's story and then you can flip it over for the other story. I think this is an interesting format but I read a book with a similar format called Sincerely, Sophie; Sincerely, Katie and I own a book called Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski who wrote house of leaves which also has a similar format, so this idea wasn't was new or exciting to me as it may have been to some people. As ...more
Kaitlin
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

Sadly, this book just didn't work for me. In this story we follow two viewpoints which have been separated out into two separate narratives. One is Gemma, a young girl from a privileged household whose only worries are being overweight and feeling left out. The other is Lyra, a girl in an institution where all sorts of medicines are regularly being tested on her. The two don't know each other, but they are linked la
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
4.5 Stars
“They were born for the first time in their bodies. They were born together. They came together into the world as everyone should - frightened, uncertain, amazed, grateful.
And for them the world was born, too, in all its complexity and strange glory. They had a place in it, at last, and so at least it became theirs to share.”

This book surprised me in the best way. I’ve been getting into scifi more recently and the sequel is coming out next month, so I figured it was the perfect time to r/>
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
The format is fascinating and I loved being able to switch POV whenever I wanted. The story itself was just lacking and felt far too rushed. Two people's stories squished in one book means that this seems to move at warped speed, with all the dreaded things that can bring *cough* INSTALOVE *cough*. I loved the format, but the story was lacking.
Zoe
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I've read five of Lauren Oliver's books so far, and each one I've come to the same inevitable conclusion: her writing is stunning and her premises are intriguing, but, to me at least, each of her books lacks that extra something that transforms it from good to great. Unfortunately, Replica is no different.

At it's core, Replica is the story of two girls: Gemma and Lyra. Lyra is a "Replica" - one of the clones created at the Haven Research Institute. When a fire breaks out at Haven, Lyra manages to escape. W
Songbird Bookworm
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The concept for this book was really interesting and Lauren Oliver did an amazing job at ensuring both characters had important roles to play in the overall plot. However, I didn't leave this book as blown away as expected and its clear that this installment is just the start of a larger overall arc.

I loved the Replica side of this story and all the political and morality based questions that arose from this. It was a unique idea and I enjoyed uncovering the mysteries of Haven and se
Eva ☾
Rating: 3,5 stars

I started with Gemma and I really liked the concept of it.However in the beginning it was a little slow and boring.

The Lyra side was my favorite. I was instantly captivated and I loved her scenes with Caelum and how they were slowly figuring things out.

Nevertheless my main complain is that I wanted more from the story.Both sides were rushed and not a
Replica 1 2 Sep 24, 2019 01:23PM
Gemma or Lyra? 3 17 Jan 21, 2019 01:21PM
How did you read this book with it's dual narratives? 4 20 Dec 05, 2018 04:33PM
Doubleinfinity Bo...: Průběžná diskuze ke knize Replica 3 4 Mar 17, 2018 05:39AM
Doubleinfinity Bo...: Diskuze ke knize Replica 1 5 Mar 17, 2018 05:08AM
Undead & UnRead B...: Replica by Lauren Oliver 13 13 Jul 04, 2017 05:02AM
Fun Reading Stuff: Replica Read along 2 7 Mar 12, 2017 01:41PM

• The Peculiar Night of the Blue Heart
  • Unplugged (The Wired, #1)
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • The Six (The Six #1)
  • Admission (Pandora Jones, #1)
  • Dark Energy
  • Midnight at the Electric
  • Idols (Icons, #2)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • It Wasn't Always Like This
  • Flying (Flying, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • Progeny of Gods: Vertuém Destiny (Book 1)
  • Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)
  • Rebel Bully Geek Pariah
  • Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)
  • Wax
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more

Replica (2 books)
  • Ringer (Replica, #2)
“Normal is a word invented by boring people to make them feel better about being boring.” 48 likes
“A strange and baffling truth: that the people we're supposed to know best can turn out to be strangers, and that near strangers can feel so much like home.” 24 likes