Start by marking “They Call Me Supermensch: A Backstage Pass to the Amazing Worlds of Film, Food, and Rock’n’Roll” as Want to Read:

An eye-popping peek into entertainment industry from the magnetic force who has worked with an impeccable roster of stars throughout his storied career.

In the course of his legendary career as a manager, agent, and producer, Shep Gordon has worked with, and befriended, some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, from Alice Cooper to Bette Davis, Raquel Welch t

Published September 20th 2016 by Anthony Bourdain/Ecco (first published May 5th 2015)

April Cote
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining and fun read. Highly recommended for those who love to hear the juicy behind the scenes stories about the rich and famous.
David
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
breezy, readable, gossipy story of his life as a manager of stars of music, film, and celebrity chefdom, starting with Alice Cooper.

He dates Sharon Stone, met Groucho Marx through Alice Cooper, helped Teddy Pendergrass make his comeback after accident, gets treated to dinner by Salvador Dali [who pays not with money but by signing his napkin], has a brick wall built at the concert venue each night to keep Luther Vandross from having to see or hear Anita Baker when they were touring together, and
Todd Martin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I’ve never heard of Shep Gordon, but was a big Alice Cooper fan as a kid (in fact the first album by a single artist I ever bought was “Killer” … mainly because it had a picture of a snake on the cover). It turned out to be a good record and Alice Cooper remained one of my favorite bands until he lost me somewhere around “Welcome to My Nightmare”. Despite the fact that I’ve long since moved on musically, I still have a soft spot for Alice and his showmanship to this day.

With that as a background
Tim Cerniglia
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tim by: The Art of Charm (podcast)
Shelves: favorites
This man has an inspiring story drenched in Rock 'n' Roll connections. A Long Island native and a serial entrepreneur with a passion for food and service. Shep has shaped Rock and Roll culture, food culture and entertainment business. "Food isn’t just food, after all. Food is culture, food is art, food is recreation, food is a trophy in your house, food is a way to have a social life. Music is a luxury. Food is the core of life. It’s more than something you shove in your mouth three times a day. ...more
Brian
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible life where chance encounters and a bold personality combine to make history. Shep Gordon is the most famous person you have never heard of unless you are a celebrity yourself.
Irene Mallory
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Such a wonderful and insightful read. I'm so happy to have come across this book on amazon, because God knows how long it would've taken me to learn about this amazing guy Shep Gordon on my own and his huge impact on so many things that we now consider a given.
I started this one after reading the Slash's autobiography and, oh my, both are just great and, in my opinion, complement each other really well. Both give some great insight on the workings of the U.S. rock music industry in the
Cindy Hansen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I feel the need to roll my eyes once during a book, it automatically loses a star. The fun stories in this book, and Shep's ability to tell a good story, kept this book at 4 stars. The one time I rolled my eyes was when he claimed to have been the one with the idea to make chefs into celebrities. He seems to have forgotten Julia Child who became a celebrity by appearing on television, writing books, and being seen with other celebrities...all the formula that Shep claims to have invented. His ...more
Ivan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIRST LINE REVIEW: "One night in 1968 I was driving in Los Angeles, looking for a place to stay, after just quitting the job that had brought me from New York to California." And the journey that will bring him from unemployed loafer to creator of celebrities begins. What a great journey it is, too! Inspiring, educational and just plain fun! This is the guy who helped create Alice Cooper, who helped Groucho live his last year's happily, who relaunched Raquel Welch and who created what we now kno ...more
Susie
The guy has led an interesting life and he did reimagine the rock concert experience. It just wasn't all that introspective. I watched the documentary after reading the book and learned absolutely nothing new. It sounds like he is a nice guy, good and fair to do business with, probably has trouble maintaining relationships with women because his mother wasn't the kindest, and he has a lot of famous friends without him being particularly famous. He must be very generous, but I didn't find him all ...more
Lisa
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
#8 of 120 books pledged to read during 2019.

I had seen the documentary on Shep Gordon which Mike Myers out together a couple of years ago, and was already familiar with him because of the 50 years he has managed Alice Cooper, in large part thanks to Bob Greene's excellent book "Billion Dollar Baby" published in 1974 which I've had for many years. Gordon branched out and started managing actors and was largely responsible for popularizing the idea of "celebrity chefs", starting with Emeril Lagas
Andrew
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Most people have never heard of Shep Gordon. Shep has been a major figure for Alice Cooper, Emeril Lagasse, Terry Pendergrass, Ratan Tata and many other hollywood & famous chefs. This book gets into the details of being a manager and running a successful business partnerships. Shep treats his clients with humility and class. This book is excellent and Shep delivers with many interesting stories.
The book starts of slow and really picks up pace with the Pendergrass story.
Melissa
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts, music, nonfiction
There were moments that I wondered if Mr. Gordon was name-dropping, but when a person lives in the world of celebrity for decades, it would be difficult to write a memoir without doing so. It is, quite simply, his life. The book circles back, again and again, to gratitude. It's a wonderful thing to encounter from someone who has moved in these circles. And, as a result of this, Mr. Gordon and his longest-term client are now the list of Famous People I'd Like to Invite to a Cookout.
Pcoppersmith
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This biography, by the manager of Alice Cooper, amongst other acts, was a delight to read. Shep has a positive philosophy that permeates throughout the book. His stories are amazing, bordering on ridiculous if it wasn't all true. Its also short, coming just under 300 pages with the words have large print. Reads like the author has met you in a bar, or on a an airplane and just tells you about his life.

Would recommend.
Barbara Wise
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say I did not know who Shep Gordon was until I heard him promoting his book on the radio. I was instantly intrigued and immediately got his book. What a guy! His life is unbelievable! His was involved with so many careers, start-ups and success stories. He is now on my list of people I would love to chat with over dinner. A must read for uplifting inspiration.
Hijacking Of
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat self-serving. Gordon seems to like the personal pronoun "I"

He seems to believe that because he states an opinion, that simple statement validates the veracity of his words. Just because he says something does not make it true.

No doubt he is very good at creating value and promotion of ideas and concepts, but his Supermensch ego could stand to be trimmed a little

patty
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Fans of Myer's Supermensch film will enjoy the additional stories and detail that this book provides.

Engaging read about life choices and show business in the music, film, and foodie worlds. Thank You.
Scott Wozniak
This is mostly a set of wild, raucous, sometimes vulgar stories of being an agent to superstars--beginning with Alice Cooper. It's interesting and disturbing, but not extremely so for either. It's not a teaching book, though.
I.D.
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve already seen the great documentary movie about Shep then you can probably skip this. It doesn’t really add anything new or enlighten you further. If you haven’t seen it though, then this is a fun ride with some crazy stories.
Frank Rosenblat
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You'll love this collection of anecdotes and gossip, if you grew up in the 70s or 80s and idolized the real talent from back then. This is also an inspiring narrative of someone who never stops re-creating his life.
Mark Waters
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational man. Should have called it ‘The Humble Visionary’. A true pioneer in so many fields, with such a modest & unassuming outlook on such an incredibly successful life. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
Leo Safro
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One the most entertaining biographies I’ve ever read. Mr. Gordon’s adventures are rich with one of a kind anecdotes and interesting facts—that range from him managing and developing top rock stars & musical acts to entertaining Dalai Lama.
Brian Balich
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous! Shep Gordon is living proof that you don’t have to be an a-hole to be a success. A man who lived the life he wants to live and who believes in doing for your fellow man. Full of really great stories of his career and full of inspiration. Highly recommended !
Andy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dumb. This guy is so full of himself it’s ridiculous.
Jesper Nielsen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read. The most interesting man in the world😀
Garrett
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining. Great stories from the entertainment industry.
Jaimirsky
He brilliantly managed many famous rock bands and culinary artists, and his anecdotes are fun. This is not the kind of book I usually read, but I'm glad I did.
Lori Conroy
Saw a cool interview with this author and thought his book would be equally interesting. Wrong. Very boring and dragged out.
Mark Parenti
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting tales of a rock band manager who seems to know EVERYBODY.
Sid Menon
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read on music, movies & food from the greatest talent manager of all time..
Branden Morrell
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keeping this one on my shelf as a reminder- you too can become a super-connected, wealthy beyond your means, Hollywood power agent if you trust in others and always honor the coupon system
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • The Difficult Second Book
  • The Making of Major League: A Juuuust a Bit Inside Look at the Classic Baseball Comedy
  • My Life with Earth, Wind, & Fire
  • The Way It Was: My Life with Frank Sinatra
  • An Outlaw and a Lady: A Memoir of Music, Life with Waylon, and the Faith that Brought Me Home
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
  • Crash and Burn
  • A Stray Cat Struts: My Life as a Rockabilly Rebel
  • Memoirs Of A Fruitcake
  • Punk Rock Dad: No Rules, Just Real Life
  • From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars
  • Change of Seasons: A Memoir