Start by marking “The Girl from Oto (The Miramonde Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl from Oto (The Miramonde Series Book 1)

The Girl from Oto (The Miramonde Series Book 1)

Every painting tells a story.

Discover the thrilling tale of a 16th-century female artist—and the young scholar who risks everything to learn her secret.

Born during a time wracked by war and plague, Renaissance-era artist Mira grows up in a Pyrenees convent believing she is an orphan. When tragedy strikes, Mira learns the devastating truth about her own origins. But does
Published September 20th 2016 by Artelan Press

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from Oto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl from Oto

Amy Bruno
One of my favorite things in life is a good book series. A series that you can immerse yourself in, with characters that fascinate you, and a plot that keeps you rushing through the pages. I am thrilled to report that I have found such a new obsession with Maroney's Miramonde series!

The Girl from Oto is told in a dual timeline format, alternating between the late 1400s and present time. And as with most dual timelines, I enjoyed the past a little better than the present. However, the way Maroney
Stephanie
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was newly married, my husband and I participated in an annual “progressive dinner” (aka Safari dinner in the UK). The idea of these dinners was to progress from one host’s home to the next, eating one course at each residence. It was a great way to get to know people better, try a different tasty dish in each location, and find some satisfaction (without starving) as you “progressed” along over the course of your meal.

It’s not a perfect analogy, but this is the first thing I thought of wh
Robert Moss
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing story that transports the reader across time
Amy Maroney sets her dual story in wildly different eras, the Renaissance period and contemporary times, while introducing numerous parallels in regards to both themes and characters. Having amassed a tremendous amount of research, Maroney uses detail to express her diverse cast of characters --- from their mannerisms to the clothes they wear, from to the food they eat to how they eat it, and from their thoughts about life to how they go
Kathy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Well, it had potential starting out in 1400's and geographically interesting - but then it suddenly moved to present day with ditsy people doing ditsy things. No thanks. Should have stuck with 1400's.
Billy Buttons
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: The Girl from Oto
Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 7/10
Of the 17 readers:
15 would read another book by this author.
10 thought the cover was good or excellent.
15 felt it was easy to follow.
15 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
10 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
7 felt the author’s
Gilion Dumas
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This historic mystery tracks a 16th-century female artist from an unidentified portrait in Oxford to her origins Spain. The story moves between Mira, the Renaissance artist, to her modern-day counterpart, art historian Zari Durrell. Most of the action of Mira’s story takes place in the Pyrenees, in the small towns, abbeys, and castles along the pilgrim’s route of Camino de Santiago.

The Girl from Oto is a story to get lost in. There is plenty of action, intelligent characters, an enticing settin
Gilion Dumas
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This historic mystery tracks a 16th-century female artist from Scotland to Spain. The story moves between Mira, the Renaissance artist, to her modern-day counterpart, art historian Zari Durrell. Most of the action of Mira’s story takes place in the Pyrenees, along the pilgrim’s route of Camino de Santiago. There is plenty of action, an enticing setting, and the interesting notion of women artists forgotten to history.

The Girl from Oto is a real page-turner and would be a great gift for anyone w
Saundra Wright
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zari is in Scotland to study a sixteenth century female painter. However when some discrepancies in paintings occur, her search may take her in a different direction completely! Follow Zari across Europe in her search for the truth. At the same time fall back through time and live the life of Mara, an orphan, and fall in love with the rich history of the Basque region between France and Spain in the sixteenth century. Each story is exciting on it's own, combined they tell a tale that will stay w ...more
Patricia
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
I loved both stories . . . the orphan Mira and her search for identity and place in the world outside the convent in which she was raised (the early 1500s) and Zari's search in 2014-15 for the true identity of a painter. Great characters and beautiful descriptions of the Pyrenees and old architecture in Spain, England and along the Santiago de Compostela. I've been in the Pyrenees and Ms Maroney captures the sense of danger (treacherous switch-backs, steep mountains and deep gullies) and quiet b ...more
Dinnl
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, only because the story is not complete. I loved the story, the main characters live and breathe. The two timelines work really well. I was so caught up in the story at a certain point I tried to ration myself because I didn't want to finish too soon. Higher praise I cannot give. I was happy the book was satisfyingly long until I realised that it was not a complete story, but I will definitely get the next one.
Grace
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I really liked the the idea of "present time investigation" and the long ago tale of the artist. I gave it four stars because I felt the story ended too abruptly, leaving me with questions that are now not answered. I originally gave it three because of that, but upped the rating because I felt it is a good story.
MaryJane Rings
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well researched . A story that depicts life in medieval Spain and France. The culture and ways of the people. It also contains vivid descriptions of the weather and natural lands in the Uk . the Netherlands, France and Spain. A poignant story which thoughtfully describes a young girl and her artistic talent as well as her on her world.
Tebaydms3400
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my kind of story. There is a good story line, good historical detail and the promise hint of a sequel. I say I preferred the artist Mira to the researcher Zari. Maybe the people in the 21st century do not challenge themselves as much because we do not have the be necessity.
Kathy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. Loved the dual timelines and getting a view into the art historian academic world as well as the world of a female artist born in the 1500's living in the Pyrenees. The thread of the Camino de Santiago was an interesting device in weaving the two stories together.
Catherine Barker
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish the story had a bit more of an ending to it, but other than that it was a good read.
Martha
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read-books
I enjoyed the historical sections of the book, but did not like the modern day story. I also thought the book ended abruptly. I liked the book, and wanted to love it...but just didn't.
Heather
Feb 22, 2017
Margaret meeder
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I happened upon this story while preparing for my Camino. History, mystery and romance. I'm looking forward to the sequel. Read it and enjoy.
Sally Cook
  • The Ohana
  • Only the Stones Survive
  • Panther's Prey
  • The Books of Rachel
  • Strawgirl (Bo Bradley, #2)
  • Silverhawk
  • Enza
  • A Christmas Wedding (Family Saga, #4)
  • When A Warrior Comes Home
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • The French Girl
  • Mexica
  • How Much Do You Love Me?
  • Frontline Angel
  • The Long Shadow
  • The Silk Weaver's Daughter
  • The First Excellence ~ Fa-ling's Map
Amy Maroney lives in the Pacific Northwest with her family. She studied English literature at Boston University and public policy at Portland State University, and spent many years as a writer and editor of nonfiction. When she’s not diving down research rabbit holes, she enjoys hiking, painting, drawing, dancing and reading. The Girl from Oto and Mira's Way are books 1 & 2 in The Miramonde Se ...more