Start by marking “The Game Changer” as Want to Read:
The Game Changer

The Game Changer

A straight quarterback. A gay physical therapist. Love is out of bounds… Right?

Malcolm Rodgers loses everything in one week.

The quarterback is benched with an injury the same week his fiancée breaks off their engagement. Lost, hurting, and stuck on the sidelines, Malcolm must spend his days in physical therapy with the one person who refuses to let him get back in the gam
Published September 19th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Game Changer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game Changer

DW
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-love
It had its moments. I liked it but I didn't love it.

It was hard not to love Malcolm and Vance. They were just such loveable guys.

Meags
4 Stars

The Game Changer is another one of Kay Simone's long-ass books, but oh boy did I enjoy this one.

The story follows (previously) straight quarterback, Malcolm Rogers, as he begins to question his sexual orientation after working alongside, and then befriending, his teams very out resident physical therapist, Vance Coberly.

Their blossoming romance is slow and sweet, with plenty of roadblocks to their happiness to keep things real and interesting. Both men accept and admit to (each other) th
Christelle

Kay Simone has a knack for creating gay romance in various context. This time, the story is about Malcom, a professional football player whose life is deeply disturbed by a serious injury, that has to be kept away from the public, and the publicized break-up with his fiancée. To be back on the Game, he has to spend his entire time for several weeks in the care of Vance, a physical therapist, well known for this healing skills, his temper but also his status as a gay man.
A deal is made b
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: Greg Tremblay - 4
Book Cover: 3.5

I liked this one. Even though Mal is completely something else with his “oblivious innocence” I could even stomach the “drama”.

BWT (Belen)
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Updated for Audio 05/2017: 3 Stars

Greg Tremblay does a fantastic job with the character voices, timing and pacing, and he helps with the story's momentum issues in a way that kept me interested, but he just couldn't get me over the miscommunication.

BUT - anyone who knows me, or reads my reviews, knows that I absolutely hate miscommunication/misunderstanding, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

2 Stars

While it had some good moments at the beginning,
Susan
Sep 22, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: audio
DNF at 50%

I LOVE Greg Tremblay and I could listen to him all day. But I wasn't too happy with the story, and with 5 hours to go, I gave up.

I have no idea why I keep trying books with closet cases because I really really don't like them. The miscommunication and the upcoming angst (you can spot this a mile away) are not the things I like in my books and they were plenty present here.
Gigi
Sep 27, 2016 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
400 pages and low steam are going to have me passing ATM.
BR11
3.5 stars.
It was ok. I love me some gfy-ofy stories and first timers. The journey and the moment when the MC realizes that yes, he is attracted to another guy just does it for me every time.
Both characters were super nice and the story was well developed. This book had the potential to be perfect for me, but the low steam and some silly drama made me drop a couple stars.
Free with Kindle Unlimited.

Note: I just finished reading the bonus chapter that the author gives away when you subscribe to he
Nat ReadingAllNite
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, m-m
I received an ARC from the author in return for an honest review.

3.5 stars rounded up. I've been continually surprised by the different themes and subjects that Kay Simone has used for her stories. We've had criminals, astronauts, teachers/students and an Elvis theme. In her latest offering, she's been a bit more serious and tackled a message about LGBTQ+ issues. It's also a bisexual coming out story, which I loved. A character that didn't waffle around and labeled himself bi, as soon as he figu
Victoria  love books
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
This was my second book by this author and both times I loved the story and the characters.
Cadiva
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how she keeps doing it but this is another winner

As with each of her previous full length novels Kay Simone puts such incredible detail into building up the worlds her men inhabit.
Here the focus is on professional sport, American Football specifically, and this book is wonderfully fleshed out, albeit in a made up league.

Her men are real, they are unique, each has his own distinct voice and they have unique characteristics which make their stories such a joy to read.

Simone herself is
namericanwordcat
I am officially a Kay Simone fan. This is my third book by this writer and I have really liked everyone.

Great characters, wonderful detailing of a world, and powerful love stories is a slow burn.

Every action each hero makes complete sense. There is no gay for you (which I hate) but rather a discovered bisexuality which is completely in character that it would have taken our football hero a while to be in his body enough to realize. His hero is quick tempered, real, and loving. Great couple!

I lo
Jerry
The book I would rate a 2 and the audio I would rate a 5, but even though the narrator did a fantastic job, he couldn’t overcome the failings of the book to me.

The start of the story was really well done. I was very much into the physical therapy and the truth they swear to each other and the little things you find out about both Malcom and Vance. Then the story enlarges beyond the two of them and that’s where my disbelief starts.

A top quarterback making 12 million a year will have a lot of peop
Manfred
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Already after a few books Kay Simone is one of my favorite authors. I absolutely loved "One giant leap" and even if I was not completely sure about "The game changer", at the end it was again a great reading experience. The story is told a little different than what you are used to in this genre and it might not be right for everyone, but for me it was almost perfect. The MC's are absolutely adorable and I also liked the way the story took.
Maybe in the middle I would have liked a little more ac
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I was a little disappointed in this one. Commacide, repeated information, entire pages (multiple paragraphs) of writing being contained within parentheses...and I have no idea why. And for some reason, Simone felt it necessary to not only make up fictional teams (understandable), but to also use Professional Football League (PFL) instead of NFL. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think using "NFL" is copyright infringement, and the use of PFL just disconnected me from the story.

Bah. Just overall kind
Theresa
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Slow and sweet gay-for-you friends to lovers. Well developed characters. MCs lacked sexual chemistry. Sex scenes were low steam. Rushed epilogue (especially Vance's new job).
Pebbles1374
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Karine
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

It's been a long time since I gave 5 stars to a book but I think this one is worth it.
I mean, not everything was perfect, but the story kept me up until the wee hours of the morning a couple of times this week so in that regard, my final rating is 5 stars and I assume it.

If you follow my reviews, you know I don't like the "slow-build" type of story. Don't ever talk to me about a book where the MC meet around 10% into the book, then kiss around 50% and begin to make out around 85%..... I'L
Erica
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a while there I thought this was going to be a new favorite contemporary for me. Strange style choices aside (what's up with all the parentheses?) I was really enjoying this book. But toward the end both of the MCs were pretty stupid and it lost some of its luster. They're able to work it out, but for a while there I wanted to smack them. Still, I enjoyed it a lot more than not.
Jenn (not Lily)
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku
This might be my favorite Kay Simone book so far...although it's hard to beat You're the One that I Want...such a wonderful friendship that develops into love. Malcolm and Vance are perfect for each other with their imperfections! Thank you for another wonderful story!
♣️ Lynda ♣️
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was quite good. I felt the whole relationship was drawn up too much but overall a good read
Julie Reads
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Really liked this one!
Lara
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy from the author in exchange for a written review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The creative premise behind the story had me intrigued at the cover, not to mention everything Kay writes is gold. Malcolm Rodgers is in need of a friend and Vance Coberly is more than happy to step in. The two meet in physical therapy and connect almost right away. The ease it takes for them to open up to one another leads to their fast paced friendship, which always allows
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I liked it.

There was nothing that really stood out to make it a memorable read...but that didn't mean it wasn't enjoyable.

I thought it was a little fast to expect Malcolm to come out of the closet. With his career, and the fact that he just came to the realization he was bi...you'd think it would be understandable for him to want to take a moment to come to the decision on his own. If they had been dating for a long time, maybe I would think differently...but I think it was understandable for h
Shannon
I enjoyed this book much more than I was expecting. It was a bit idealistic in parts but overall it was a sweet friends to lovers romance. We have Malcom, the star quarterback who gets injured and Vance, the team's PT who gets to treat him. They become besties while secretly lusting after each other and then they do stuffs...together. Malcom has only ever been with women so man-sex virgins are always a bonus. The potential for super hot smexing was there but never realized. It was okay but nothi ...more
Brooklyn
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
Classic football player story. Discovers he is bi and struggles with coming out/staying closeted and maintaining his relationship. But I still loved this story. It was sweet. Malcolm was not the stereotypical brute football player. He had decency and integrity. Vance was a bit too consumed by his ideals. But you could totally sympathize with him. This was a long book, but enjoyable.
Susan65
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 4.5 star audio review by The Blogger Girls

I freaking loved this audiobook. Seriously, I think this narrator is absolutely dazzling, he has this smooth voice, and his character performances are top notch . His portrayal of Malcolm and Vance were stellar and I just didn’t want it to end. Kay Simone is a new author to me, but I’ve listened to this narrator before…and since I love sports, I figured I would give it a try. Best. Decision. Ever.

Malcolm is a famous quarterback, believes he’s straight,
Shay
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cuttie, m-m, read-in-2019
*3,5*

I'm going to be honest and say I wasn't expecting much out of this book since I didn't remember anything of the blurb once I picked it up, but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

As a whole, this is a pretty simple romance about Vance, a gay physical therapist that is proud of who he is and stands up for what he believes, and Malcom, a straight quarterback who hasn't really had the time to figure himself out, since he has been full of responsabilities since a young age.

I really enjoyed these
Tessi4M
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malcolm Rodgers is the star quarterback and leader of his team. He has been on top of the game for years and is known as ‘The Golden Boy’.
Everything is going fine; he makes millions playing a game he loves and by doing so is able to take care of his family. Making sure they have everything they need is his number one priority and has been since his father died years earlier. On top of this, he engaged to a woman who fits perfectly into the life he has built for himself.

All perfect, until the day
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • HeartOn (Full Hearts, #2)
  • Point Shot Trilogy Boxed Set
  • The Rainbow Clause
  • For Better or Worse
  • Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)
  • Pull Me Under
  • Fourth and Long
  • Heels Over Head
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • False Start (Eastshore Tigers, #2)
  • Infamous (Famous, #2)
  • Deep Edge (Harrisburg Railers, #3)
  • Takes Two to Tackle (Santa Fe Bobcats, #3)
  • Scoring the Player's Baby (WAGS #3)
  • Kick Off (The District Line, #1)
  • The Next Competitor
  • Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2)
“It’s terrible. It’s the worst. You’re just trying to live your life and then you look at this person you’ve looked at — maybe someone you’ve looked at a thousand times before — and you realize, Oh, fuck my life. I’m in love with this moron.” 4 likes
“Oh, fuck my life. I’m in love with this moron.” 2 likes