Start by marking “Dispelled (A Null for Hire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dispelled (A Null for Hire, #1)

Dispelled

(A Null for Hire #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  910 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
They call me an abomination. A mutant. A curse on their kind.

I don’t let it bother me. Much.

My name is Holly James, and what they say is true. I’m a freak of nature—a null. My mere presence zaps the magic from Others, rendering them powerless. That’s why they hate me. But here’s the kicker: I’ve found a way to profit from my lack of mojo.

Whether it’s acting as a mystica
Published November 1st 2016 (first published October 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dispelled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispelled

Ian
There were good moments. There were things I liked about it. But the main male character was kind of a douche. Get rid of him and the book gets an extra star. Rewrite the ending and it will probably get another star.
Mara
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
Not a particularly good book, a mashup of matebond romance (without a bond, just the senseless at first sight love) and a UF classic plot.
The lack of strong elements really marred the story: bland characterization, bland world building, a lack of a tight plot mysterywise.
1-Click Addict Support Group
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book by Terri Austin so I wasn't sure what was in store for me with this one. From the blurb, I knew it was a paranormal romance (my favorite!) and that the hero was broody and mysterious (also my favorite). I'm so happy I took a chance on this (new to me) author. This was such an amazing read.

This novel tells the story of Holly James, a Null, or a non-magical person who zaps the magic from others in the paranormal community (including witches, vampires, werewolves and sorcere
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)

Terri L. Austin is a new to me author. I was not sure what to expect or what was in store for me. I picked up Dispelled; because the blurb very much caught my eye. I’ve never heard or read a book with a character that cancels out everything around them. She is a freak of nature an abomination to the magical and shifter community, at least in their eyes. To say she is not liked, is an understatement.

Holly, is one tough women. I felt so much for her. We learn about her family - a few surprises in
Cortney
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was not thrilled with this read, it didn't wrap me up in it's world.

Holly was just ok. At first I felt like we were being handed a strong, independent, feisty heroine. I believe this started and stopped at feisty, and this was only offered on occasion. Holly was very superficial in the beginning, and that offered an unnecessary distraction. When reading a story about a character that is NOT involved in fashion, I have no interest in what handbag she is taking with her to prove whatever point s
Snarktastic Sonja
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was totally "meh" to me. It is also yet another example of why names matter. I've known a few authors who really struggle over naming their characters. And, I frequently complain about names . . . When you start a series, you are getting to know people. Just like when you go to a party . . . we rarely remember the names of everyone we meet. When you write a book and toss names at us, they need to work in the context. And, we need to not confuse them with someone - or something - else. ...more
Kevin
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting world, magic users, vampires werewolves exist along with the protagonist who can nullify all their magic. Weres can't shift, Vampires are human around her and magic doesn't work when she is in the vicinity.
The characters are pretty good, the MC Holly was a little annoying in the first half of the book with her obsession with hand bags but happily that seemed to diminish as the book went along. I'll read the next book in the series if the author releases one.
Shrimalya
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of Terri Austin's that I am reading, and I wasn't quite sure about what to expect.I had originally thought it would be a run-of-the-mill paranormal/urban fantasy book, but with a really unique main character.This book surpassed my expectations and really pulled me in.
We usually come across vampires,werewolves,witches and fae, but a main character who cancels out other's magical powers and abilities is something we've never seen before!

Holly is a null as I mentioned above.S
Larissa Reinhart
I received an early ARC of Dispelled, the first in the A Null For Hire series. Dispelled blends the humor, suspense, and hot romance you expect from Terri L Austin's other books, but with the added fun of a paranormal/urban fantasy theme. Set in present-day Kansas and Oklahoma, Dispelled takes you on a fast-paced ride full of steamy romance and nail-biting suspense. Austin's built a gritty supernatural underworld filled with corrupt politicians, crime bosses, and sex clubs but with her typical h ...more
Kina
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 hearts

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book I feel that way anytime I read a new author. Well this is one time that I was very pleasantly surprised! I absolutely fell in love with dispelled, what a fun, witty, and sexy book filled with action, mystery, subterfuge, love and all sorts of bad ass folks.
In a world filled with humans and Others which are people with magic anything from sorcerers, witches, vampires, werewolves and probably more Holly is a smart, sexy
Heather
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but I made it 2/3 of the way before I had to stop. The beginning starts off well enough. The character has a very unique magical ability that makes her cancel out all other magical abilities. Because of this everyone hates her. I've read books with similar concepts before but in this one everyone really hates her, and that's all we hear about in the book. The repition makes this a difficult read. The love interest in the book constantly acts annoyed with her, but the ...more
DianeG
Holly James, a null in the magic world, is a strong, tenacious woman who has turned her lack of magic and the fact that she renders the magic of others useless into a viable job. When a young witch is found dead from a cursed amulet, Holly is approached by a grandfather she didn't know she had to help solve the mystery. Holly must work with sexy, controlling Cade, the investigator in charge and sparks fly! Danger, intrigue and secrets abound and it seems as if more questions are popping up than ...more
Gail Koger
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Loved this book. Sassy heroine. Hot sorcerer. Lots of action and steamy sex. The mystery keeps you guessing. Highly recommend
Airwreckah
Closer to 4 but i give it 5 for really entertaining and feeling new somehow.
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall 3 Narration 3 Story 3

Intrigued by the description of a heroine that is a Null – she nullifies the powers of the paranormals around her, I was curious to see just how the story would unfold. Holly was born into a magical family, but is different from everyone else: she draws the power away from others- which, now that she’s older has worked into quite the lucrative business. But, it’s still very lonely as people used to using their power (whatever it may be) at w
Wanda binz
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and fast paced

I enjoyed this story characters and it was fun intriguing and non-stop action. I hope this
is a series because I really want to see where it goes. Good reading and great writing. Thanks.
Michele
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nulls are individuals whose proximity immediately nullifies magical energy. Vampires are defanged, weres can't shift and sorcerers can't perform spells. Being a null does not make Holly James popular, but she has found a way to make it profitable. She can equalize a room of supernaturals in situations where emotions run high and tempers flare (interspecies negotiations, were-opposum weddings, etc).

Things get interesting when her paternal grandfather asks for her help in solving the murder of a m
Lyndi W.
Feb 17, 2017 marked it as d-n-f
It's just a bunch of people being angry at the MC for existing while she investigates multiple magical murders without any experience, training, or common sense.

Boooooring.
Amanda Tregaskis
Imagine living in a world where anyone magic detests you...

Loved the plots and twists in the story, loved the characters. Loved that the story was about someone who is a null - someone who stops magic around them, its not an exciting power, in many ways its an anti-power that makes magicals not want to associate with her... a book that I enjoyed reading, that made me chuckle... and sets the grounds for a good series.
2OCC Reviews
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stefanie
4 stars out of 5
As a reader of almost any genre I get very excited when two of my favorites are combined in such a brilliant way as they are in this book. The question is, is this a Paranormal book with a Mystery twist or vice versa? To me, it does not matter, it is just entertaining and a great read. It had me guessing till the very end and hoping that this is not the only book written by this author.
This is about Holly, a magic dampener called a null. She is an outcast in the Magic community a
Busy Bees
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Star Rating - *****

Hold on to your hats and get ready for a wild ride, Dispelled by Terri Austin is here and it's going to take you through a mystical world that will have you hanging on to the edge of your seat. November seems to have been a paranormal/ fantasy month for me and this was my favourite book so far! The first book in the 'Null for hire' series Dispelled introduces us to Holly James a magical 'Null' and Cade Mcallister a sorcerer.

Now what is a Null I hear you ask a Null is someone
Henriette
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The null for hire series takes an unusual approach to urban fantasy. Holly is a null meaning that her power has a dampening effect on magic. This is comparable to the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, though her heroine's power only works by touch. Holly's power on the other hand is more of a field effect. It radiates outward from her and becomes weaker the farther away it is. Depending on the strength of the magical being, he won't feel the effects until he gets to within a certain ...more
Bookgyrl
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holly is a null - she makes all magic disappear when she is close by - and that has not made her very popular in the magic community. After being bullied for it most her life she now has a profitable business 'null for hire'. After her mom disappeared after her birth, Holly was raised by her grandmother. She does not know her father.

And then one day her grandfather seeks contact. He wants her to help sorceror Cade McAllister with the murder case of a young witch. She has to nullify a curse. He
Vickie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not normally a big fan of paranormal romance. I like action on the streets, not between the sheets. That said, I still loved this book! Action a-plenty and a cool premise for the main character. I'm not sure I've read a book before with a Null included, let alone as the main character. Holly has a fairly pragmatic attitude about her ability/disability. What hasn't killed her has made her stronger.
Terri has the unenviable task of writing the story with Holly as a Null and how it affects tho
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
Perfect!

Sometimes you get lucky with a book. This is that kind of book for me. A good mystery, a feisty heroine, snark served hot of the fire. Characters to love and despise everywhere and unique situation.... never before have I visualized a were opossum wedding with cow patties scattered about in triple digit summer heat.... my nose is still twitching in sympathy.

And the best part of this urban paranormal? The heroine's secret weapon.... her presences nullifies magic. I want more, lots more.
Clare Peacock
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast Paced, fun novel

I had read another book about nulls but really enjoyed this one so much more. It kept my interest so well that I spent a whole day reading it in one fell swoop. (during football conference championships too!). Well designed, fleshed out characters in some quirky situations and then more dangerous situations. Can't wait to read the next one!
Rhiannon
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is the first book that I have read by Terri Austin and I plan on reading many more. Holly is a great character, with interesting ability of a Null. Something a little out of this world, even in a world filled with magic and sorcerers, like Cade. It has everything a good book needs: magic, mystery, romance and of course a story that draws you in!
Bunnycore
I don't have much to say, I chose this as a BoTM once and I read it for that fact alone but it kind of let me down. the concept was good and I love the fact that she was a null. but it did nothing for me.

anyways that is what I got to say..

Happy reading.

Hannah Crull-sher
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a fun and quick read and I really enjoyed the concept of nulls in the magical world.
I read a lot of fantasy, but generally stay away from romance. That said, I enjoyed the romantic aspect of this book more than I thought I would, and I appreciated it that it seemed like a secondary aspect, rather than the focus of the book. I'm excited to see how the rest of the series goes.
Elizabeth
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
ok plot, trite, overdone,writing. Not worth the three dollars I paid for it. Something I would expect to see from a thirteen year old writing her first story about unicorns and rainbows. Will not be reading from this author again.
Girls, Guns and G...: Dispelled - June BotM 29 51 Jun 18, 2017 08:36PM