Start by marking “Dark Side of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side of the Moon

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A blackly comic heist novel set in Glasgow’s famed underworld, reminiscent of early Christopher Brookmyre.

Boddice, a crime lord looking over his shoulder for good reason, has assembled an unlikely band of misfit crooks. Their job is to steal a famous diamond worth millions, known as The Dark Side of the Moon. Despite the odds, the crew’s self-serving squabbles and natural
Published August 19th 2016 by Freight Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Side of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Side of the Moon

Fran
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boddice, a loan shark and drug supplier in the underbelly of Glasgow, is starting to fall from grace. He has become a bit player whose drug distribution territory is being usurped by more dominant dealers. What better way to maintain his opulent lifestyle than to steal the Dark Side of the Moon, arguably a flawless, rare and expensive diamond. Boddice hires a crew of misfits who can only be described as dumb and dumber to pull off the heist.

Boddice's so called minions are each introduced in grea
Chitra
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We follow a bunch of misfits who are working for a drug lord who has lost almost all of his power. Other underworld thugs from other countries have quickly taken over his area with more man power and more viciousness and he just can’t seem to keep up with them. He’s holding on to what little power he has left and is using the remainder of his men to plan a heist; one that no one would suspect him of doing because he is, after all, only involved in drugs.

There’s Prentice, Kyle, Legget, Boag and t
Carole Tyrrell
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review at SHOTS.

This is the debut novel from Les Wood, a Glaswegian writer, who knows how to write convincingly about the Glasgow underworld and its characters. Dark Side of the Moon is an object lesson in how not to pull off what was meant to be the greatest jewel robbery ever seen in the UK.

Boddice is a small time crook; loan sharking, protection money, who can see his turf being eyed up by newly arrived Eastern European gangsters. He’s realised that hi
Jackie Law
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark Side of the Moon, by Les Wood, tells the story of an attempted diamond heist by a group of incompetent crooks. They are well used to meting out violence and thereby fear amongst the druggies and downtrodden in Glasgow’s housing schemes. The professional hard men are, however, ill equipped to carry out the half baked instructions dreamed up by their leader, Boddice, which he believes will enable them to lift a huge diamond from its well guarded display. Boddice’s territories are in decline a ...more
Val Penny
When a publisher I know sent me a copy of a couple of his company's recently published books to review, I was very pleased. The first novel that I read was the debut novel by Les Wood, Dark Side of the Moon. Les is a Scot who lives in Barrhead and previously won the Canongate Prize for New Writing and the McCash Prize for Poetry, so it is no surprise that Dark Side of the Moon has merit. It is a comedic crime story set in Glasgow, Scotland, in which the reader cannot help but root for the crimin ...more
Gillian
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not my usual kind of book - I actually picked this up from the library's new books display as part of my 'read a random book occasionally' policy - but I definitely enjoyed it. A bunch of drug- trafficking Scots ned misfits are brought together to carry off a cheeky heist. Will they be able to pull it off or will it all go awry? Entertaining read with the proviso that there's a fair bit of modern slang to get your head around if you're not Scots.
Sonia
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Side Of The Moon is a fast-paced, comedic look at the dark underworld of Glasgow's criminals.

We are introduced to Boddice and his 'gang' preparing a daring heist where every member is necessary to guarantee its success.

There are some interesting characters and it was an easy enough read, but the introductions to each of the gang felt a little drawn out, with some strands that didn't feel particularly tied up by the end.
Adam
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A genuine laugh out loud book. If you liked Small Time Crooks by Woody Allen you will love this one.
Audrey
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the kind of book I would have loved if I found it sometime last year. The Scottish vernacular was hard to understand at first but it made the whole novel a hell of a lot of fun, and the characters were colorful and likable. I also liked that peak into Scottish gangster life. My favorite characters were the twins, and I found them the easiest to connect to. I might check this book out again when the fog of depression has lifted, but it came the closest to engaging me out of all the nondes ...more
Cam
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid heist story set in Glasgow, featuring a low-rung team set up by their drug dealer boss to steal a famous diamond. Lots of dark comedy and tragedy as the plot goes awry and their ghosts come back to haunt them. Wood doesn't pull many punches, so unlike most Hollywood heists, this one takes failure seriously. For fans of crime novels, but maybe for the casual mystery reader looking for a different setting or grimmer turn.
Rav
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love mysteries. Reading the little snippet on the cover page made me pick up the book. My oh my it was such a great read. so many unexpected twists and turns, such details loved every bit of it!
Evita O'Malley
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this!

It was a gift for Christmas from someone who just liked the cover - what a lucky discovery!
Catherine Judith Anderson
jim
Feb 12, 2017
Michael Delamere
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crime, Glasgow underworld, no police. Funny (one scene provoked uncontrollable hysterical laughter! - that's very rare). First novel by a writer of poetry and short stories and the background shows off his skills. Great characters, great dialogue and a terrifying climax. 7/10
Micah Berken
Apr 07, 2018
Michael
Mar 18, 2018
margaret russell
rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2017