Jump to ratings and reviews

Snappsy the Alligator #2

Snappsy the Alligator and His Best Friend Forever

Snappsy the alligator wants nothing more than a quiet evening alone, but a pesky chicken who insists he’s Snappsy’s best friend won’t leave him alone. Friendship bracelets? Matching shirts? The sleepover of the century? Snappsy did not ask for any of the activities this chicken – his best friend forever? – is planning.

32 pages, Hardcover

First published October 3, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Falatko

11 books135 followers
Julie Falatko is the award-winning author of picture books and novels, including Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book), the Two Dogs in a Trench Coat series, The Great Indoors, Yours in Books, and many more.

Originally from New Jersey, Julie now lives in Maine with her family.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
34 (6%)
1 star
5 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 93 reviews
Profile Image for Danielle.
356 reviews221 followers
March 15, 2017
Is it possible to love a sequel more than it's original? Even if it happens to be the original book I ever sold as an agent? Well, this may be the case because whether Snappsy wants to be in a sequel or not he is and it is SPECTACULAR! Julie and Tim have outdone themselves...readers will laugh and possibly even cry! Love love love this new addition to the Snappsy universe!!! <3
Profile Image for Sadie.
70 reviews18 followers
September 30, 2017
This book was really cute and so worth the read. I truly believe it teaches kids to appreciate people for who they are. Falatko and Miller do a wonderful job on creating depth to a character in the simplest way, but yet still carry a huge amount of "Don't judge a book (or person) by its cover or appearance". It also brings awareness to "Be careful what you say, you might regret it". I love the colors and art in this book. Its adorable so relatable. Snappsy is totally me 99.9% of the time. I feel like Snappsy should wear a shirt that says "Nope." on it because it would totally work out, maybe he wouldn't have to say it a million times (x
Profile Image for Abigail.
7,083 reviews173 followers
August 18, 2019
Snappsy the Alligator and his narrator "friend" Bert return in this second amusing meta-fictional picture-book devoted to their adventures, following upon Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book) . Opening some weeks after the party depicted at the end of that earlier book, this tale sees Bert pestering Snappsy, whose home he has not left, with his notions about their status as best friends, and the many sleepover activities they should engage in, as a result...

Like its predecessor, Snappsy the Alligator and His Best Friend Forever (Probably) pairs a hilarious meta-fictional tale in which the titular character interacts with his story's narrator (AKA Bert), with bright, colorful cartoon-style illustrations that perfectly capture the madcap humor of the text. I find Snappsy's eyebrows particularly amusing, but then, I have seen the artist, Tim Miller, draw them, so perhaps I'm at least partially entertained by the idea that these two lines can be used so expressively. Recommended to anyone who read and enjoyed the first story about Snappsy!
Profile Image for Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob).
967 reviews11 followers
December 14, 2017
This is a book about that suffocating person who thinks they are your best friend even though you've subtly hinted repeatedly that you are sort of a loner. You know, that person who desperately wants to get together to just 'hang out' even though you can't find a single thing you have in common beyond species and general location.

*shudder*

This book made me uncomfortable as I recalled similar attempts to extricate myself from a clingy person who had decided I was their bestie.

Snappsy is a better person than I am though, he even decides he likes his clingy little poorly-matched buddy.

My daughter thought it was cute, but, I don't know that she actually followed what was happening. She hasn't really met another kid she didn't want to be friends with (she's my opposite) and thus she just didn't understand the book. Being a kid though, that didn't prevent her from enjoying it, she just enjoyed it differently. If you have a loner kid who needs their decompress time after school, well, they will probably identify with Snappsy.
Profile Image for Kate Olson.
2,088 reviews727 followers
October 2, 2017
Snappsy is a lovable curmudgeon, and kids love hearing this story with the different voices read with lots of expression. It's a sweet story of reluctant friendship with a healthy dose of exaggeration. Fans of the earlier Snappsy title and books such as the Elephant & Piggie series by Mo Willems will eat this up as they follow Snappsy and his friend Bert (who knew he had a name?!?) on their adventures. The illustrations are adorable and the speech bubbles make this attractive to early readers.

Thanks to Running Press for the review copy of this title.

Recommended for purchase in elementary libraries and in classrooms grades K-2.
Profile Image for Susan.
1,091 reviews26 followers
October 12, 2019
I absolutely loved the first Snappsy book, but this fell a little flat for me. Kiddo didn't seem as hooked by it either, maybe because he felt my dislike of the ending. Snappsy - it's okay to think Bert is annoying sometimes! Your relationship doesn't have to be all or nothing! You can still be friends and want to be left alone, Snappsy! BERT IS BRAINWASHING YOU. Sorry Bert, you mean well. But you need to learn to have some independence.
Profile Image for Sarah.
3,267 reviews
March 27, 2018
Here's what happens when the narrator does what he wants without the character's permission. Since the party in book one, Snappsy hasn't been able to shake his narrator. He finally gets rid of him (but not quite really, as he stays in his front yard, so Snappsy gives in. But you know what they say, if you give a narrator an inch....
Profile Image for Brenda Kahn.
3,638 reviews53 followers
June 2, 2017
This was clever fun that would make for a raucous read aloud. I missed the first Snappsy book. It seems he can't shake this pesky chicken - all he wants to do is be alone. Bright cartoon art with lots of visual humor that adds to the humor of the text. Give to fans of Elephant and Piggy and the I am (not) series.
Profile Image for Melissa.
278 reviews16 followers
October 19, 2017
So cute and sweet, I think I may have teared up a little toward the end cause it's such a cute story.
479 reviews5 followers
March 5, 2019
No sophomore slump for Snappsy. His second book is as clever and charming as the first.
Profile Image for Racheal.
1,013 reviews82 followers
October 23, 2017
I liked this but didn't love it as much as the first. I kinda wish it had been a little less one-sided. Sure, it's good for Snappsy to learn that it can be better to have a friend than to be alone all the time and that sometimes it's okay to capitulate and do what they want, but I wish that Bert had also learned to back off a little and not trample all over Snappsy's wishes all the time. I was hoping for a bit more compromise, I guess?
Profile Image for Bethe.
5,792 reviews51 followers
March 27, 2018
The party continues - so to speak - for Snappsy and the chicken! Love the energy of the story and how Snappsy tries to resist Bert's friendship advances. Simply adore the page when Bert says "I get that a lot"!!!
Profile Image for Karina.
Author 13 books802 followers
August 3, 2017
A charming sequel to the first SNAPPSY, filled with lots of laugh out loud lines! Loved it!
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
1,275 reviews49 followers
May 26, 2018
Minh Lê‏'s "Best Picture Books of 2017" gave this an Honorable Mention for "Funniest," and while I understand what it's trying to do, I actively disliked it.

Snappsy the alligator had one party weeks ago, and Bert the chicken decided they were BFFs and never left. Bert wants them to do lots of fun stuff together, and Snappsy frequently states that he wants to be doing something alone, or something more quiet, or something different, and Bert basically ignores it. Snappsy finally kicks him out, and Bert just hangs around outside, and Snappsy finally invites him for the sleepover Bert had been pushing for, even though I didn't actually *feel* like Snappsy actually missed him (even though textually I guess that's what happened? but we only get 2 half-page panels of Snappsy being alone before he changes his mind), and okay Bert brings some stuff Snappsy had expressed liking previously (like smoothies), so that's good, but the overall feel of the book was that Bert had just latched onto Snappsy when the feeling wasn't mutual and Bert was projecting a lot of his desires (not just for the relationship, but for things to do in the relationship) onto Snappsy. Plus, while I'm willing to believe that Snappsy actually enjoyed the sleepover, of course the book ends with a sequel hook -- where Bert decides to move in -- and I just really don't want more books that play riding over people's boundaries for laughs.

I had gotten the prequel out from the library as well, thinking I would want to read it after I read this one (like after I read Bruce's Big Move ), but that is definitely not the case.

I will say that the illustrations are good -- lots of visual gags, and Miller makes the alligator remarkably expressive.
Profile Image for Baby Bookworm.
1,605 reviews90 followers
January 27, 2018

Hello, friends! Our book today is Snappsy The Alligator And His Best Friend Forever! (Probably), written by Julie Falatko and illustrated by Tim Miller, a story of how friendship can often be perfectly imperfect.

A direct sequel to the hilarious Snappsy The Alligator (Did Not Ask To Be In This Book), the reader rejoins the reluctant protagonist as he embarks on a new adventure: friendship with the enthusiastic and slightly overbearing chicken narrator from the previous installment. The chicken has now decided that he and Snappsy are best friends forever, and will spend every waking moment together having adventures! Snappsy is less than enthused about this. After all, he only invited the chicken to one party week ago – which the chicken technically NEVER LEFT! Snappsy is looking forward to a quiet day of running errands, but the chicken insists that they are going to have a best friends sleepover! With karaoke! And scary movies! And pizza hats (which is just pizza, worn on the head)! Snappsy needs some space, so how is he going to get his new “friend” to understand that? And once he has it, is it really all it’s cracked up to be?

This was a wildly fun sequel to a book that we had loved, and we had so much fun reading it. Snappsy and his friend (eventually revealed to be named Bert in a wonderful scene), provide a great lesson in friendship, boundaries, and respect, all while providing a lot of laughs along the way. The art is colorful and rich with character and charm, and supports the story with some clever and thoughtful details. The length is good, and JJ really enjoyed it, especially the theatrical “voice” of Bert. A delightful read with a laugh-out-loud last page, and we loved it. Baby Bookworm approved!

Be sure to check out The Baby Bookworm for more reviews!
Profile Image for Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary).
252 reviews49 followers
April 8, 2019

A couple of years ago we read: Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book!) and LOVED it. So I was very excited for us to read another Snappsy the Alligator story.
Sadly, my girls did not enjoy this one as much as the first book.
Snappsy the Alligator and His Best Friend Forever (Probably) is about Snappsy the Alligator and a chicken named Bert. Bert thinks that Snappsy is his BFF (best friend forever) but Snappsy has other ideas.
To me, this story is very entertaining and has the same fun elements as the first story. Snappsy is a bit of a grumpy alligator. And the banter between Bert and Snappsy is funny. I enjoyed reading this story with my girls. It has been a couple years since reading the first book, but I thought this story has a lot of fun and laughable moments which made me love the first book so much. I liked the story about friendship that this book has. If you read and enjoyed the first Snappsy story, I definitely recommend checking this one out too! And if you haven't read either of the Snappsy the Alligator stories, I recommend checking them both out!

This review, as well as, Cutie Pie and Cutie Pie #2's thoughts can be found on my blog: My Bookish Itinerary
Profile Image for Owly&HerBooks.
375 reviews70 followers
October 7, 2017
This was such a cute read! My daughter had so much fun getting to see the interactions between Snappsy and Bert. She also had a lot to say about how those characters reminded her of Spongebob and Squidward, adding to her love for the book. It did have a little bit of that quality, but with more to it as Bert didn’t have a Patrick to keep him from constantly being at Snappsy’s side lol.

I haven’t read the first book with Snappsy, but after this one I’ll definitely be getting it for my daughter as she’ll probably like it just as much. This one had a good amount of cuteness, mixed with lots of funny moments, and a good lesson for the little ones. Don’t doubt the first one probably has that also. I thought the illustrations were just as cute as the story and my daughter definitely agreed.

I also saw on the author’s page that she has a few more books out, along with others being released in 2018, so I will be looking into getting those also. I know my daughter will probably like those just as much as she liked this one, especially if they have the same humor and colorful characters as those in this book.

***I received this copy from Penguin Young Readers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.***
Profile Image for storymamas.
82 reviews5 followers
February 3, 2018
Snappsy & His Best Friend Forever, Probably is another humorous book with our beloved characters. It takes place a few weeks after the party and the narrator has not left yet. He’s hung around Snappsy and calls him his BFF. Snappsy wants to be left alone and tells his friend to leave. Will that be the end of their friendship? You’ll need to pick up this hilarious book to find out!
I think this book would allow for great conversations. I know that the whole breaking down the 4th wall concept was over my 3 year olds head. I would say 3rd grade and up would get the most laughs and understand the sarcasm & jokes hidden in the pictures. But by no means if you have a student or kid younger you shouldn’t pick up these books. It’s always fun when you as the reader get a chuckle! We can’t wait to see if there are more Snappsy adventures!
1,957 reviews23 followers
December 1, 2017
A story on friendship, with a very silly twist. The sense of humor is right up the alley of preschoolers and kindergarteners. Pizza hats, anyone? It's all about appreciating others and their differences, always a good message, but the reason I didn't give it another star was because I think it'd be nice if Bert wasn't quite so overbearing. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, after all. Snappsy compromises with Bert and his wishes, but there wasn't as big a point made about Bert compromising Snappsy's. He did include Snappsy's smoothies, however, so there was at least a little bending on his part. Overall, a cute, silly story.
For a storytime, it'd be a little more challenging, as it's so conversation and picture based. Would be fun as a one-on-one read aloud though.
Profile Image for Stefanie Burns.
791 reviews2 followers
October 18, 2019
Snappsy and Bert are best friends. I think. Bert has all these grandiose ideas which Snappsy turns down. Bert wants to have a sleepover with pizza hats and karaoke. Bert follows Snappsy all over town until Snappsy finally puts his foot down: No Sleepover. Well, then he feels bad. He writes a card to Bert to invite him for a sleepover. As he leaves to mail the letter he runs into Bert...in his frontyard....in a bathtub. Well, Bert comes in and they have such a great time. They (maybe they??) decide Bert should move in.

Laugh out loud funny. Kids 1+ will be sure to love it and as the students age, they will get more of the humor. Great read-aloud fun!
Profile Image for Diane.
6,530 reviews
October 14, 2017
"I invited you to one party and you never left. All the other guests went home WEEKS AGO. And you're still here."

Snappsy likes his quiet time, but Bert, who is given to exaggeration in his narration, wants life to be a Best Friends Disco Bonanza all the time. Snappsy can't even run errands without Bert trying to insert himself into the situation. And he keeps insisting that they should have a sleepover. Finally, Snappsy snaps and Bert finally gets the message that Snappsy would prefer to be alone. Or does he?
Profile Image for Jillian.
2,524 reviews23 followers
November 13, 2017
I've never been a fan of the "obnoxious squatter who can't take a hint but life is miserable without them" plot. It always rubs me the wrong way - aren't people allowed to be introverts? Aren't people entitled to their personal space without being the bad guy? Why is true friendship portrayed as always doing what one person wants to be doing?

That said, the book was cute. I really like Snappsy, and the ending of this one mollified my discontent somewhat - mostly because Bert showed up with stuff to make smoothies: something Snappsy had actually expressed interest in doing.
Profile Image for Steven.
168 reviews11 followers
November 22, 2017
Cute book. Moral of the story is maybe that if you really like someone, but they don't like you back than you should invade their private space, force yourself and your demands onto them against their will, and lurk outside their homes staring into their windows all creepy-like until they finally break down and love you back? That's weird. That's weird for a children's book. But it's a cute book. Cute and funny. Maybe kids won't pick up any bad ideas about how humans should interact with each other by reading this book?
Profile Image for Becky B.
7,262 reviews91 followers
March 27, 2018
Bert, the unreliable narrator from Snappsy's first book, is still at Snappsy's house. He's decided he and Snappsy are best friends and shares all his BFF activity ideas. But Snappsy seems to have other ideas.

Bert was the prototypical limited narrator in book one. In this one, he's the prototypical unreliable narrator. Snappsy is surprisingly patient with this uninvited house guest who has decided he's now Snappsy's BFF. And of course, things end well for everyone...well, mostly. A good pick for a funny read, and a good opportunity to talk about respecting other people's boundaries.
Profile Image for Amy Layton.
1,641 reviews48 followers
January 19, 2019
In the vein of Willems’ Elephant and Piggy series, Snappsy the Alligator takes a similar stance, integrating comic-like motifs alongside a narrative. Here we have an alligator and a chicken who are more different than they are alike–though perhaps that’s what makes them great friends. This book is great for teaching children not only about learning how to read dialogue and inferring meaning from text size and font, but also great for teaching kids to create dialogue about boundaries and compromise.
Profile Image for Bethany.
506 reviews13 followers
November 7, 2017
Snappsy acquired a friend in his first book. Snappsy reluctantly acquired a friend. He is still reluctant. The tag-along chicken, however (named Bert, by the way), is enthusiastic about all of it and is very much ready for a best-friends sleepover complete with food and dancing and pizzas to wear on their heads.

Just when Snappsy is quite sure he knows exactly what he wants, he discovers that friendship has some bonuses.

Be prepared with good, distinct voices for each character.
Profile Image for Tara McKenzie.
57 reviews2 followers
November 9, 2017
This book was super cute. it would be a great book for any age level. The book does a great job at teaching children to love people for who they are and that someone will always be there for you.

This book is about Snappsy the Alligator and this "annoying" little chicken who thinks he's Snappssy's best friend. He wants to do everything with Snappsy, sleepovers, matching bracelets. However Snappsy isn't the biggest fan of this little chicken.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 93 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.