Start by marking “Daylight Second” as Want to Read:
Daylight Second

Daylight Second

The incredible story, for the first time told in novel form, of Phar Lap, the racehorse that became a champion, and then a legend.

And he's done it folks ... Phar Lap first, daylight second.

In a new novel about the Australian race horse Phar Lap, award -winning writer, Kelly Ana Morey recreates the short life of the gigantic chestnut gelding who became the darling of the

Published October 1st 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Daylight Second, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daylight Second

Anne
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses, sports
Disclaimer - I am an unofficial member of the Phar Lap fan club. So I know the story, how it begins, how it ends and a whole lot of the bits in the middle. So the fact that this fictional telling of the life and times a horse and the people that were even just a little part of this legend could keep my interest right to the end says a lot for the storytelling ability of Kelly Ana Morey. Despite knowing how the story ends, there was still a lump in my throat when Big Red breathed his last.

But thi
Bridget
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel about Phar Lap. I have no real interest in horse racing, no real passion for horses, but I rather like a historical novel and this is one that rollicks along. There is quite a lot of detail about racing and lists of the races that the horse was entered into which slowed me down a bit, until the story overtook me and I raced to the end (Pardon the pun.). There is lots of detail about the family of the people involved in the story, the tales from the boarding house wh ...more
Alexandra
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daylight Second stands out through the crafty rendering of family scenes that stay with you through their emotional charge and the carefully chiselled details.

I haven't finished reading the book, but I loved the bits that I have read. Daylight Second is a great opportunity to learn about life in New Zealand and Australia in the first half of the twentieth century, as historical details are woven seamlessly into the narrative. A lovely present for any age. I have already got a copy for a friend.
Johanna Schmidt
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually got this for my mother, who is pretty horse-mad ... and she loved it. In her words 'I was actually sad when I finished it' ... that's not a spoiler, because what she meant was that she wanted to keep reading it. She also said that Kelly has gotten all the detail spot on, which is pretty high praise from my mother (who seriously sits in historical films critiquing the horse-riding ability of the lead actors). Read it yourself, and buy with confidence for your pony-inclined friends and ...more
Kathryn
A great title for a wonderful story. The commentator who came up with that line had such a good turn of phrase, and so does this author - I had to keep going back and reading parts aloud.
It is VERY HORSEY but that's kind of the point, and that's certainly what I loved about it. That and the sense of time and place - it'll make a(nother) great movie one day.
Rachael
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An immensely satisfying novel, lovingly researched and well-crafted. The excitement around the Melbourne Cup - and the threats to Phar Lap's safety - was particularly well-paced, and I also really enjoyed the boarding house drama that was largely fictionalised. For me this had more texture and spark than most biopic (I know that is a film term but I can't think of the novel equivalent) novels, probably because the author was not afraid to fill in details using her imagination - a vastly underuse ...more
Anne Williams
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and interesting, brought to life Phar Lap's story and the story of those involved in his life. Set in New Zealand and Australia of the 1930s as the depression was impacting lives around the world and the racing industry tightened its belt. This is a novel with a lot of historical validity, I found it quite a page turner. I'm now convinced that Phar Lap's death was an terrible medical event rather than a criminal action. Well worth the read.
Rob Tuwhare
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great read, not into horse racing but loved reading this book about the famous horse I know so little about.
Interesting era and started the book while in the Catlins. Also I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne so was all the more relevant for me.

Great read Kelly grab the movie rights someone

Angelique Simonsen
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this. it was an easy engrossing read
Chae
Hannah
Feb 20, 2017
Shane
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Despite knowing the story backwards, this book was a fantastic chance to relive it all. Bringing a number of fringe characters to life was a clever idea and helped propel the story along into areas I didn't expect. Highly recommended!
“He curls up on a couple of hay bales with an old horse-cover pulled over him for a few hours' kip. There is still a spring chill in the air and Tommy is grateful when Floss noses in under the rug and, after gnawing away at a flea at the base of her tail for a few minutes, curls up in the small of his back and goes to sleep.
Pg 205”