Start by marking “The People We Hate at the Wedding” as Want to Read:

2.85  ·  Rating details ·  7,150 Ratings  ·  1,088 Reviews
Relationships are awful. They'll kill you, right up to the point where they start saving your life.

Paul and Alice’s half-sister Eloise is getting married! In London! There will be fancy hotels, dinners at “it” restaurants and a reception at a country estate complete with tea lights and embroidered cloth napkins.
They couldn’t hate it more.

Published June 6th 2017 by Flatiron Books

Cayla
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The best thing about this book is the cover.
Julie
People we Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder is a 2017 Flatiron publication.

This book enjoyed some heavy promotion and exposure a few months back. I think I might have discovered it via the book section of the NYT, but then I noticed it was popping up on various library lists etc. So I decided to try it.

This book is supposed to be funny, exposing family dysfunction, but also proving that some bonds, no matter how much we may wish to distance ourselves from them, simply cannot be broken.

I do
Claire
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Everyone in this book is an asshole.
Cindy Burnett
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Grant Ginder’s The People We Hate at the Wedding is an entertaining read. At times it was more graphic than I wanted it to be, but generally the book held my attention and kept me engrossed in the story. His characters are not the most likeable, however several of them do become more appealing as the book progresses. I had thought the book was going to be funny because it had been likened to Where’d You go, Bernadette (which is hilarious), but I mainly found it sad. None of the characters (excep ...more
Amy
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

If you like snarky humor and watching a train wreck of a family unravel at the seams then I’ve got another great book to add to your summer reading list! First of all, the title/cover combination is pure gold, this is a great book to pick up this summer. It’s light, but has a bite due to its sardonic nature. This is a modern, cynical look at the dynamics of a highly dysfunctional family that could not be more entertaining.

It’s told via altern
Ellen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
At the heart of this book is a very dysfunctional family with absolutely selfish and unappealing characters. Not the light and fun read at all that the book's description implies. Paul and Alice fly to London to attend their half sister's wedding. Alice is having an affair with a married man, Paul's partner is getting tired of him, and Eloise has everything going for her. Not recommended.
Carrie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
This had the potential to be a good book. But it quickly crossed the line from amusingly snarky to unpleasantly hostile. The author writes as if he hates women, and all the characters are unlikable. The most offensive, crude words are used whenever possible.

It's disappointing because the story line seems like it could have been really interesting. If only it were written by someone else.
Dianne
The People We Hate at the Wedding – Grant Grinder

I generally like books about dysfunctional families. They tend to make me appreciate my own dysfunctional family even more. But this book was so out of left field that I very nearly decided to give up on it, but kept plodding through it just to see how it would end.

The premise was somewhat confusing once you started reading this – yes it did deal with exactly what the synopsis claims, but the ‘why’ of it all was so stupid that I wanted to scream.

M
Julie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Who were The People I Hated in this Book? Every. Single. One of them. I kept waiting for something to happen to push forward this story about a slew of irredeemable characters, but it was just more of the same right up until the (unsatisfying) conclusion. Too depressing for a beach read and too light for a serious read, this book pretty much has an intriguing title and not much else.
Obsidian
This is a terrible book. Don't read it. DNF at 38 percent. Back to the library you go. I swear you can have books with terrible characters doing awful things. But you can't have terrible characters, writing, and a ridiculous plot. At this point the half sister could be eating kids on the side, and she wouldn't suck as much as the mother (Donna), son (Paul) and (Alice) daughter in this book.
Jessica
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book has been super-hyped this summer, but it hasn't received a lot of glowing reviews from readers and I think that's mostly because the characters aren't particularly sympathetic people. They're kind of awful, honestly. But, still, I was willing to give it a shot because I don't mind stories about awful people. Especially when they're billed as funny. Seinfeld never gets old and I'm practically the only person I know who loves Difficult People.

The problem here, in my opinion, was that th
debra
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Love may disappoint, but that doesn't absolve us from loving."
This is a story about a dysfunctional family that was entertaing-ish with humor- some of which was "of the over the top "variety. Turns out- that for the most part- the people these people hated were each other.

The ending,IMO, was ridiculous. Ridiculous because there was the equivalent of an Exorcist 360 degree head spin for one of the main characters. In a nanosecond this character completely changed almost all of who she was, thus
Cmorrison
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
" if a mans character is to be abused, say what you will, there's nobody like a relative to do the business"...there couldn't be a better quote to describe this delightful and fun read. I received an early copy of this book, and found that I couldn't put it down! The characters are flawed, yet hilarious , and this author draws us into an engrossing world where people are actually allowed to voice what they truly feel about their family. I cannot wait to read his next book!
Danielle
I hated everyone at this wedding.

I had high expectations for the book since it was on so many summer must-read lists but the characters were thoroughly unlikeable and their stories were barely fleshed out. I kept expecting something to happen to tie everything together and I guess it did in the end but it was still unsatisfying.
Anne Wehner
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great title. "Meh" read.
Caryn
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Ginder puts the "fun" in dysfunctional with this family leading up to a wedding across the pond in England. A more appropriate title "The People We Hate Before the Wedding," as this book never gets to the actual wedding.

The book starts with a brother, sister, and their mother who decide if they should head to their half-sister's wedding. Chapters alternate by who is speaking. Ginder easily distinguishes characters with unique voices.

This book was more a character study than pure plot,
Jeff
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
1 star.

There's a lot of hype about this book, but it just does not pass muster for me. The subject matter is interesting, but the writing is weak and cliche. Props to the cover design, though, which is honestly the only thing worth mentioning here.
Rana
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delicious fun. Empty calories but man, did it taste good.
Toni
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Picked this up at my library, hoping for a weekend read of shallow people making snide and gossipy remarks about people at a wedding, literally. Ended up with a soap opera about the typical dysfunctional family dealing with planning an international wedding.
Everyone is fighting and arguing with each other until the chapel bells ring. Maybe not the best book, but kind of a fun read.
Stacey A.  Prose and Palate
I have found myself on a major dysfunctional character reading binge lately and I absolutely love it. The People We Hate At The Wedding is no exception. Maybe it is because I can absolutely relate to the craziness that was rampant in this hot mess of a family -- from the mother and the son not speaking to each other over a misunderstanding to the animosity Alice harbors towards her half-sister Elosie, or maybe I just needed this snarkiness in my life at the moment. There were moments from the re ...more
Gillian At Home
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is - hands down - one of the best novels about family, social class, and thirtysomething malaise I have ever read. This is the novel I was expecting The Nest to be. I feel like I've just been to a family wedding and spent the whole time with the most interesting people there.
Grant Ginder has created a family of charming, funny, intelligent characters who all come to London for a wedding. Shifting back and forth between perspectives, you have time to enjoy seeing what's inside each family me
Elizabeth☮
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth☮ by: Sterlingcindysu
This is a look at a group of people as they appear for a wedding in England. The two half siblings are American and resent their "perfect" sister whose father is decidedly rich.

The story is told from various POV's and adds to the narrative that takes us from California to Philadelphia to England.

These people are all a mess (which is what I like about them). The people they hate at the wedding? Themselves!

A great summer read as it is quick and engaging. Nothing too heavy to focus on while rela
Jess
This was fine. I didn't like it nearly as much as I was expecting to, and I think it's because it just felt too overwrought. Like, yes, all of those things might happen in a family, but it was the worst possible outcome for all of them and it was just too much. It wasn't even fun in the way that CRA and its sequels were, just more and more miserable.
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The People We Hate at the Wedding turned out not to be at all what I was expecting. Upon closing the book, I couldn’t decide how I felt about it. There were some aspects that I really liked and others that just didn’t do it for me. Let’s just start at the beginning.

This story actually begins a few months before the wedding, when Alice and Paul have received the invitations for their half-sister Eloise’s wedding and are attempting to figure out just how much money Eloise must have spent on them.
Sterlingcindysu
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Isn't this a great title and cover! I predict this will be a summer beach-reading hit. I read this on a cruise and passed it around when I was done--thanks for the arc!

One thing I think will get some negative comments are the stock characters Ginder brings out for our review--young woman in debt, gay guy, unhappy wife who still thinks about her ex and priviledged rich woman who works in non-profits are all accounted. But Ginder puts the twist on them by making them SO outrageously mean/spiteful
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
I put this one aside for the time being. I felt like although it was hilarious at times, it was a bit too cynical and crude for me. I didn't think that was possible, but I think I am just not in the right mood for it. May revisit it later this summer.
Linda Zagon
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank BookBrowse and Flatiron Books for the Advanced Reading Edition of "The People We Hate at the Wedding" by Grant Ginder for my honest review.

The genres of this book are Contemporary Adult Fiction, and Humor and Satire.

I find that the author describes his complex and complicated characters as completely dysfunctional as a family unit. Their relationships with others and their relationships at work are also dysfunctional.

This novel is witty and there is satire surrounding one o
Kate Olson
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cutting. That's the best word I can think of to describe this book. Some family stories are warm and happy, and this is sharp and cutting and messy, and yes, at times, funny. Grinder shows family dysfunction in all its completely ugly reality, and has created characters who are simultaneously hateful and worth investing in. There were parts of this book that were just plain gross (read: the garbage can scenes), but in my opinion, when a book is gross and I keep reading, it's a sign of quality wr ...more
Mairzi
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yet another bad book that doesn't live up to the promise of its great title or description on the book jacket. It is not "bitingly funny", "slyly witty" or "surprisingly tender". It is boring and predictable filled with characters who are so poorly drawn the reader never gets a sense of who they are or what motivates them. I read so much about this book earlier this year that made it sound so promising and can only conclude that these glowing recommendations were not based on anyone actually rea ...more
Kelly
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed in this book. I didn't care for any of the characters. There were plot points to explore in deeper ways and it felt unfinished. Oh well.
Play Book Tag: The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder -- 2 stars 13 37 Jul 14, 2017 01:23PM
Grant Ginder is the author of THE PEOPLE WE HATE AT THE WEDDING, DRIVER'S EDUCATION, and THIS IS HOW IT STARTS. He received his MFA from NYU, where he teaches writing. He lives in Brooklyn.

Visit him online at www.GrantGinder.com. Follow him on Twitter or Instagram @GrantGinder

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
“Eloise, look, you’ll be disappointed, okay? Love disappoints. It can’t help itself. That’s why … I don’t know, that’s why Ingrid Bergman gets on the plane and leaves Casablanca, or Maude takes all those sleeping pills at the end of Harold and Maude. But what are we supposed to do? Stop trying? Preemptively say fuck it because we know everything invariably ends? That’s bullshit. You hear me? Bullshit. Love may disappoint, but that doesn’t absolve us from the duty of loving. Of trying to love.” 1 likes
“Relationships are awful. They’ll kill you, right up to the point where they start saving your life.” 1 likes