Start by marking “So Where Are We?: Poems” as Want to Read:
So Where Are We?: Poems

So Where Are We?: Poems

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"So where are we?" asks Lawrence Joseph in the title poem of his powerful and moving sixth book of poetry. Beginning where his acclaimed collection Into It left off, amid the worldwide violence unleashed by the World Trade Center terrorist attack, Joseph's poems--global and historic in scope--boldly encounter the imaginative challenges of our time: issues of political econ ...more
Published August 22nd 2017 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about So Where Are We?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Where Are We?

Henry
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exploring physically, traveling through one vortex to another, be they ones of Love, Horror, or the Mundane(all three overlap easily), Joseph handles the themes of our time with deft touches of humility, honesty, and wonder. His immense skill is on display throughout. A real pleasure!
H James
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Mr Joseph crafts raw and immediate poems, and in many cases they conjure a specific month from the past decade or two. Unfortunately, his mainlining-the-zeitgeist approach gives a certain sameness to the various pieces in this collection, and it's often hard to tease apart the unique attributes of one poem from those of another. "Is What It Is" stands out as my favorite for its brilliant slight-of-hand feat of linking a highly local event (a new subway station) to a global one (war in Syria).
MendyBerk
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! So good! It's like he lives so completely on this planet and on some wholly different one simultaneously. Not saying it's not scary, but the view from this other floating celestial body is downright Blakean in its magic.
John Wheeles
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deep, dark, thought provoking poetry. This is a great collection, but should be avoided if you're looking for peaceful light prose. This is a realistic poetic look at the current human political microcosm, portrayed in inter-connected poems. Illuminating albeit a bit depressing... Which describes the current earthly culture rather well.
Lara
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it

Nuance, I know nuance - in her eyes; having
been, will ever be, love in the play of the eyes.

Flint is what it is.
Knowingly to force the poor to purchase and use toxic water
isn't a form of chemical warfare, isn't a form of genocide?

"But after all, I'm a lawyer. So I can never get away from evil." - Franz Kafka
Ann
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific new book by the poet Lawrence Joseph. It is wise and tender and so beautifully written! I have read all his poetry books as well as his novel "Lawyerland." He is one of my favorite writers.
Terry Gallagher
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the bowels of Manhattan's financial district to Eldon Axle, the parts factory on Detroit's east side, Joseph continues to document, explore, examine and explain the modern world.
Mike Miley
Justin Hardy
Feb 19, 2018
Mark Zadrozny
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charged reading. The poems are unwavering in their voice and necessary to our times.
Michael Gessner
Dec 25, 2017
Lawrence Joseph is a poet and a lawyer.