Start by marking “Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)

Buy a Bullet (Orphan X #1.5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,338 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
The Nowhere Man is a figure shrouded in secrecy—a near legendary figure who helps those lucky few who are given the means to reach out to him.

Before he was the Nowhere Man, Evan Smoak was a highly trained government operative known to a few as Orphan X. This is the story of Smoak's first outing as the Nowhere Man, where after completing a mission in Northern California, he
Published October 11th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Buy a Bullet, please sign up.
Brogan Sommerville I haven't read this book yet but having read the first two books I would say you could definitely read this before the other two, think it will just…moreI haven't read this book yet but having read the first two books I would say you could definitely read this before the other two, think it will just explain a bit more about how role as The Nowhere Man so might actually help your understanding of the other books.(less)

Larry H
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
(My rating is more for the length of the story than the quality of the story.)

I haven't decided where I stand yet on this growing trend of authors writing "so-called" short stories as a way to bridge the gap prior to the release of a new novel. On one hand, I'm a fan of anything that gives me an opportunity to read more of my favorite authors, but the contrarian in me feels that these are primarily revenue-generating gimmicks, because the stories themselves are often relatively slight, and in so
Judy Collins
Gregg Hurwitz introduced readers to ORPHAN X , Evan Smoak (2016 Super Hero) back in January, 2016. Once an orphan, now a man with a dangerous past.

A savior of the victims, the innocent ones—from corruption to sex slaves, while saving himself. When Evan was fourteen, Jack had trained him. The first person to treat him like a human. The Orphan Program. However, he may be targeted, and these people are no slouches. Someone knows him and wants him eliminated.

For more than a decade, he had been t
Laura Rash
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this series. Glad to hear from Hurwitz himself that he has 3 more novels planned for this series!
Mark
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, thriller
After the succes comes this short story about Ophan X/Nowhere man/ Evan Smoak which can be best characterized as a possible chapter in on of his books. It is partly prequel and partly the service our hero offers free of charge. To be saved from an awkward situation.
The story is fun but way to short, The preview in the ebook from the second installment of the series is far longer than the short story and far more interesting. For fans only I guess.
Sean Peters
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great to start a book on my lunch break, then also finish the book.

So far up to date with the great character "The Nowhere Man" "Evan Smoak" or "Orphan X", take your pick.

But a really quick read of 56 pages, a great introduction on this new character, a quick, fast pace, right into the action book.

Ready for number three, out soon.
Skip
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, e-books
Evan Smoak seeks to rescue the lovely Leanne Lattimore, girlfriend and abuse victim of Silicon Valley Steve Radack, bad-boy of the software dot-com world, the visionary behind Thumbprint, a software that allows one to press a finger to a smartphone and pay for a variety of items. Senseless. The novella is about 20 pages long; the rest is a few chapters from the next book. It adds nothing to this series.
ChopinFC
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
This is a very quick novella about Evan Smoaks in the action series 'Orphan X'. The novella is essentially an introduction or a prequel to the series. Although very short in length, the story stays in line with the same feel of the series, and the writing is engaging and entertaining. For those thriller/CIA operative book fans I highly recommend the 'Orphan X' series. It certainly in-line with James Bond, Jason Bourne, Daniel Silva espionage stuff.

3 1/2 Stars
Basia
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EDITED 1/09/17

I just finished reading the bulk of the e-version of this download. As I mention in my review of the title story, Buy a Bullet comprised about a quarter of what I got when I bought this; the majority of my purchase was made up of the 1st 11 chapters of the sequel to Orphan X, due out in a painfully looooong 8 days.

Based upon this small, 11-chapter sampling of the sequel, I have to say The Nowhere Man appears to be at least as compelling as Orphan X. The story is one I couldn't wal
Marleen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gregg-hurwitz
Waiting for the Nowhere Man to come out end of this month, I'm quite happy with this little morsel, this little taste of the awesomeness that is Evan Smoak. This short story is over before you know it - yes it's short - but it's a good representation of the Smoak I got to appreciate in Orphan X.
If you love the clever, multi-layered anti-hero genre, then this series is for you. Please go read Orphan X (book 1), if you haven't. It's simply excellent.
On another note, the violence suggested in this
Netta
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
נחמד. אני אוהבת את אואן סמוק.
Benjamin  Thomas
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short for Orphan X

For a short story this was pretty packed and well executed. Looking forward to reading the Nowhere Man! Great series.
Shifad
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is just a mission carried out by Evan Smoak. He is back. It is an enjoyable read. No problem, if you skip this book though. I enjoyed it.
Ted Tayler
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
"International Best Seller"

t's hard to miss all the accolades for this author. They read like a Who's Who of literary giants. It has to be good doesn't it? Well, anyone who can write a complete chapter about a lift journey to the penthouse and make it impossible to flick through the pages has to be doing something right. That gives you a clue to the level of detail Hurwitz applies to every occasion. It's not sufficient to say Smoak carried a gun, it must be described as it would be in the user m
Steve
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very short story with the beginning of the next book, The Nowhere Man. If you've read the first book in the series, Orphan X, I'd say you can skip this short story. If not, it will give you an idea of what kind of guy Evan is...also a better written story that the first book was I think.
Rose
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An awesome short story from the world of Orphan X, I feel like it's more of a prequel though? We're shown Evan's first ever official case as The Nowhere Man. Although it's a short story, it contains a lot of depth and gives us more insight into what kind of people Evan helps.
Tami
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little transition story to get to book 2 in the series.
Kathleen
I loved Orphan X because of the credible plot and characterization with the perfect balance of light and dark, with some humor thrown in. This prequel to Orphan X is too dark. I didn't like that the Nowhere Man was willing to watch her suffer so long, just to be sure he had chosen wisely. His characterization suffered for it, imo.
David Dalton
A short read for sure. Guess it just serves to bridge the gap between Book #1 and the upcoming #2. Leaves us hanging. But, I know I will already read the next one in this exciting series. Evan Smoak is one cool character, very much an Equalizer type. 3 stars just because this short story did not serve much of a purpose other than to whet our desire towards the next book.
Ana Maria  Rivera
It's been a while since Evan and I crossed paths, but once again he doesn't dissapoint.
This book is very short but gives away a lot of answers as to why he started doing what he
does.
The main treasure comes at the end when you get a few chapters of the next book, same one I am one clicking my way to get and continue my reading....
Paula
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable short story that gives the back story on how Evan got his start helping the truly desperate and deserving. I have previously read Orphan X and reading this reminded me of how much I enjoy the style in which this is written and made me more anxious to read The Nowhere Man.
robert earhart
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

Didn't realize this was a short story (my fault) - doesn't provide any thing
New in the way of character development
Megan (ReadingRover)
Excellent short story of how the Nowhere Man got his start. Fast paced and just enough action. I love this series.
Patti
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too short!!!
Ariel
"Who are you?" He hesitates. He hasn't used the name, not in several years and never in this context.
"The Nowhere Man."

Buy a Bullet is a novella prequel to Orphan X and tells the story of Evan Smoak's first case that led his transformation from the disenfranchised Orphan to the boogeyman Nowhere Man, savior of the helpless and nightmare to those who never see him coming from the shadows.

I'm not into novellas. I find them to be a gimmick for authors to gain more revenue by releasing little clips
Bryan Adams
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I really want to give Buy a Bullet more stars. I loved Orphan X and The Nowhere Man and this very short little story fits in with these novels perfectly. It tells the story of Evan's first mission as the Nowhere Man, away from the Orphan Program. You can tell that Evan hasn't fully developed his way of dealing with these cases, which as the reader is cool to see as he obviously develops over time.
There is nothing wrong with the story, in fact I was pulled into it straight away. My issue is tha
Bryan
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I feel silly even logging this as a book that I read because it’s essentially a one chapter short story. I had already started reading The Nowhere Man, book 2 in the Orphan X series, when I realized there was a book “1.5”. Goodreads said it was only 16 pages but the Kindle download said 85 or so. For $1.99 I thought that was worth it, but it turned out that the bulk of those Kindle pages was just the first couple of chapters of Book 2!

Reading this added no real value for me in the series, but I
Kronos
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Hell is not a place. It's a state of mind." - says the former silicon valley tycoon turned brutal villain while traumatizing someone. This E-short is set before the events of Orphan X. Here we see Evan Smoak become the Nowhere Man(a realistic yet classy and deadly vigilante) for the first time. His operational methods and tactics are calculated like a machine yet filled with humane reasoning. Contrary to other neo-noir books, this series focuses on crimes that everyone aren't well aware of. Thi ...more
Chris Wing
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This short story is currently free on Kindle and fits between Hurwitz' Orphan X and The Nowhere Man.

It's a very brief story that ties up a loose end from the first book (or rather, leads follows on nicely from), and doesn't appear to lead into, or set up, book two, but we'll have to see.

Nothing particularly exceptional about the tale, although the circumstances seem a little movie-esque or stereotypical.
I imagine the circumsatnces that occur here will get a reference in the second book, or even,
Buddhagan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who just wants to complete the series
Shelves: ebooks
I was expecting so much more even though this was a short story. It was too short and almost seems like it was written by a different author from the other Orphan novels. This story bore no resemblance to the novels other than the name drop Evan Smoak. No clear indication of when the story is set and it added nothing to the Orphan X narrative.

SPOILER / TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!!
The brief gang rape scene was unnecessary. By the time this is mentioned, we already know that the woman is abused.
Keri
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT
AUDIOBOOK (approx. 35 min)

This is a prequel novella to Orphan X and is a story about the first time The Nowhere Man finds someone in need of his expertise.

Even though this is a prequel, it shouldn't be read before Orphan X. You'll have a much more enjoyable read if you have the context from Orphan X.
Play Book Tag: Buy a Bullet by Gregg Hurwitz (short story) - 3 stars 1 9 Feb 05, 2017 02:39PM
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Pu
More about Gregg Hurwitz

Orphan X (4 books)
  • Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1)
  • The Nowhere Man (Evan Smoak, #2)
  • Hellbent (Evan Smoak, #3)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“He has spent a lifetime in the vicinity of trauma, usually inflicting it. He is known by some as Evan Smoak. To a few, he is known as Orphan X.” 0 likes