Start by marking “Let's Pretend We Never Met” as Want to Read:
Let's Pretend We Never Met

Let's Pretend We Never Met

If it were up to Mattie Markham, there would be a law that said your family wasn’t allowed to move in the middle of the school year. After all, sixth grade is hard enough without wondering if you’ll be able to make new friends or worrying that the kids in Pennsylvania won’t like your North Carolina accent.

But when Mattie meets her next-door neighbor and classma
Published June 13th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Let's Pretend We Never Met, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ms. Yingling
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Mattie is not thrilled to have to move from North Carolina to Phildelphia over winter break, even though it means being near her beloved grandmother, Maeve. Her father is working long hours at his new job, her mother can't find work, and she has to start a new school. One bright spot is her neighbor, Agnes, who is a little quirky but very exuberant and fun. When school starts, Agnes misses the first three days back to care for an abandoned bab
Stephanie Fitzgerald
A good middle-grade read. A young girl makes friends with the child that’s considered the “odd duck” at school. Lessons are learned about the fact that “different” doesn’t have to mean bad or weird. Reminded me a bit of the old children’s classic The Hundred Dresses.
Talia
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
There should be more middle grade books that tackle having friends with disabilities. I'm all for it, the world is all for it, and I'm so glad this is becoming more commonplace!

To begin, Mattie has just moved from her small town in North Carolina to a new apartment in the city of Philadelphia. The adjustment is huge, and within days Mattie can feel her best friends back home pulling away from her. It's to be expected, as she's no longer a block away and also doesn't have a cellphone,
Joanne Kelleher
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book presents a common situation that happens in middle school – for some reason, one friend doesn’t want to be friends anymore. In this case, the reason is that Mattie, the new girl, has unknowingly made friends with the weird girl in the class, and maintaining this friendship can ruin Mattie’s shot at being popular.
This story is a gentle version of how this scenario could unfold. It was very sweet, minimal drama, no social media.
It was a quick, enjoyable read.
Cat
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I stop crying I'll be blogging about this. 💜
Tanvi
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart-warming and completely charming story about moving on, growing up, and being yourself (parallelism). A gentle look at the challenges of both fitting in to a new situation and having a friend with special needs.

This book inspires so many young people to not change who they are for others and to understand that some people are different but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be your friend.

The book drags you in (personification)with its wonderful story and beautifully designed characters. The book is reall/>The
Aubrie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book "Let's Pretend We Never Met" teaches readers to appreciate the friends they have, and to understand the meaning of friendship. The story takes place in Pennsylvania where Mattie and her family moved from North Carolina to help her grandmother for medical reasons. Mattie moves to her apartment in Butler Towers in the middle of winter break and meets Agnes. Over the rest of the winter break, Agnes and Mattie become great friends. Once school starts for Mattie she makes new friends which t ...more
Eva
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet book. On the surface a very similar book to most school stories, but the fact that one of the characters is on the spectrum adds a hint of depth to an otherwise fairly run of the mill story about fitting in at a new school.
Abby Cooper
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this MG! Original premise with super realistic friendship struggles.
Cara
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Delightful middle-grade! I loved the characters, the setting and the real emotions.
Lorraine
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good middle-grade story about friendship. I highly recommend it.
Megan Schmelzer
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

As a classroom teacher, I am constantly on the look-out for books that I can hand any child. At the same time, I am looking for books that are real and address issues that my students themselves are going through. Let’s Pretend We Never Met by Melissa Walker is a book that hits both of these concepts. It is a book that any kid would like. It is simple, relatable, and teaches a clear lesson
Emma Andje
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*actual rating is 3.5 stars*

Sometimes moving is hard...
Mattie's family decides to move from North Carolina to Philadelphia to be closer to her paternal grandmother, for reasons unknown to Mattie. Not only does she have to leave her old school and friends behind, she also has to do it in the middle of the school year.

Sometimes friendship is difficult...
Mattie's two friends from North Carolina slowly become closer to each other and do not find the need to contact Mattie as
Georgene
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story, but poor Mattie has to experience quite a bit of stress all at once. She moves with her parents in the middle of the school year and makes a new friend right away. Agnes P. Davis lives right next door and she is lots of fun. She is creative and energetic and she always has good ideas that Mattie is happy to join her in. But when Mattie starts school after Winter Break, Agnes totally ignores her, even though they are in the same class. Mattie discovers that Agnes is the ...more
Maria Antonia
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids, contempory
Mattie suddenly moves with her parents to Philadelphia to be closer to her ageing grandmother. She meets her next door neighbour, Agnes, who acts a little strange sometimes. And Mattie soon finds out that if she wants to make friends at school, she needs to keep her distance from Agnes.

I loved how this book deals with befriending the "weird" people in our lives. Mattie learns the value of Agnes, even with her quirks. I love how the teacher (and the door-people at the apartment) play
BB
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's Pretend We Never Met focuses on Mattie, an 11-year-old who's moved from North Carolina to Philadelphia in the middle of 6th grade so her parents can be closer to her elderly grandmother. The book follows the rest of her school year after winter break as she deals with new friends, bullies, her parents arguing, her grandma's worsening dementia, and her quirky neighbor and classmate Agnes.

I liked this one more than I initially thought. It's a slow start, but really picks up towar
Krissy Neddo
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Finished it with a few tears in my eyes over the relationship Mattie had with her grandmother and the final get together with Mattie's friend group. I also liked way the author wrote the conversations and interactions Mattie observed between her parents as they too adjusted to a new city, new jobs, money worries, etc. Will kids feel the same way, maybe?
Sweet story with an ending that wrapped up nicely. But it wasn't sappy sweet or overly preachy. Using the grandmother's
Susan  Dunn
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
Sixth-grader Mattie is NOT happy when her parents announce that they're moving in the middle of the school year. Matte's grandmother, Maeve, lives alone in Pennsylvania, and she is getting older and needs their help. So Mattie and her parents pack everything up and move to an apartment in the city. Within a couple of days the next door neighbor, Agnes, who is also 11, has shown up at their door and inserted herself into Mattie's life. Agnes P. Davis is a force of nature - funny, full of life and ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
When Mattie Markham and her family move from North Carolina to Pennsylvania to be closer to Mattie's grandmother as she moves into assisted living, Mattie worries that she won't make new friends. She is grateful, therefore, to discover that living next door to her new apartment is a girl her age named Agnes. Agnes, who has an unnamed social disorder accompanied by anxiety, is definitely unusual, but her enthusiasm for life, and her way of making everything feel important and exciting are appeali ...more
Debbie Smith
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- What Defines True Friendship? -
Synopsis:
Mattie and her family move from North Carolina to Philadelphia to be near her grandmother. Any move can be tough, but this move is in the middle of the school year during winter break. The family settles into an apartment building where Mattie discovers an 11-year-old lives next door to her: Agnes P. Davis, who is creative, quirky, exuberant and fun to be with. They will be attending the same classroom. Meanwhile, Mattie's father is working l
Emily
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say 5th grade and up for this read. It reminded me of Wonder but instead of physical differences, Agnes has social differences. The word "autism" is never written, but we read of how Agnes is "special", "extraordinary". We do read that she goes to therapy for help dealing with anxiety. She is a lovable girl, and when Mattie moves in next door, she also finds Agnes to be a fun, despite quirky, friend. It's when school starts that the rubber hits the road, and Mattie has to decide if she'll le ...more
Ingrid
Maddie moves in the middle of sixth grade and gets to know Agnes, her neighbor before school begins. Agnes is quirky and seems to have an anxiety disorder, but she and Maddie get along well. But when Maddie goes to school she discovers that no one likes Agnes. Things get complicated for Maddie because she would like to be popular and that means staying away from Agnes. Maddie does a lot of soul searching and is true to herself. In real life things don't always turn out so well, but I would like ...more
Betsy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A great middle school story about real issues in friendship and discovering about yourself. I enjoyed how honest the characters were. Mattie knew that Agnes acted weird and that the other kids at school might not understand her, but she also knew that she enjoyed hanging out with her. It's tough being the new kid - you don't know who to hang around with or how to act. I liked the substory with the grandma - that could be a book on its own, so I was glad Melissa Walker didn't delve too much into ...more
Ryan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest story about trying to fit in

I read this to my eight year old. Though the story is about a girl a few years older than my daughter I think the central message about being a good friend/person versus fitting in with the crowd is fitting for any grade level. I also thought the author did a good job of representing realistic adolescent characters of today. She avoided the common mistakes many authors make when trying to write kids. They think, feel, and sound like real kids.
Misti
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving from North Carolina to Philadelphia in the middle of her sixth grade year is hard for Mattie, but she knows that her family is moving because her beloved grandmother needs their support. In their new apartment, Mattie soon befriends Agnes, who is smart and creative but occasionally a little bit odd. Mattie loves playing with Agnes during the holiday break (even though she would have said she's too old for "playing"), but what will happen to their friendship when school resumes?

Brittany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I teach 3rd grade and got this book on a whim through Scholastic for my class. After reading the back to the class I wanted to read it too. It's a very realistic interpretation of 6th grade- the kids sound like real kids and the adults sound like real adults, yet it's still appropriate to share with younger children. I loved it.
Vanessa Linares
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Let’s Pretend We Never Met” by Melissa Walker is a really good book. This book is about about a girl named Mattie who is in middle school and has to move schools. She met a new friend named Agnes and doesn’t know what to decide between being popular or being friends with Agnes. If you love books that are about friendship,I recommend this book to you.
Kelly
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I just finished reading this book to my daughters (ages 7 and 9). They have both been engaged by the writing and story, and the 9-year-old in particular expressed how much she enjoyed the book. We read a chapter each night and then discussed what happened, giving me an opportunity to explain some of the emotional nuances.
Steph
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much heart in this story! I love that you really get to know each and every character and instead of this becoming the same typical friendship story, it really took its own course.

I also love the discussion that will emerge from this book about different friends and being brave enough to be exactly who you are and let them be exactly who they are.

Really awesome little book.

Laura's Book Addiction
“Space should be an ordered Collection of magic and wonder.”

Middle grade novels are never on my reading radar, but I’ve read and loved this authors YA novels and the cover is super cute. So I had to give Let’s Pretend We Never Met a chance, and I’m so glad I did. It’s everything I wished I’d read at ten. I dare you not to fall in love with Agnes & Mattie.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Write This Down
  • Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy
  • 11 Before 12 (Friendship List, #1)
  • Mango Delight
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • The Many Reflections of Miss Jane Deming
  • Mystery of the Map (Poptropica, #1)
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • The World's Greatest Detective
  • Secrets from the Sleeping Bag (Blogtastic!, #3)
  • The Theory of Hummingbirds
  • The Spell Thief (Little Legends #1)
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • Paris for Two
  • Diary of a Parent Trainer
  • The Lost Expedition (Poptropica, #2)
  • The Summer of Bad Ideas