Start by marking “The Hate U Give” as Want to Read:

The Hate U Give

Sixteen-year-old Starr lives in two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she was born and raised and her posh high school in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between them is shattered when Starr is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now what Starr says could destroy her community. It could also get her killed. Ins ...more
Expected publication: February 28th 2017 by Balzer + Bray

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 28, 2017
    Enter to win an advance copy of THE HATE U GIVE, a stellar and groundbreaking debut by Angie Thomas!

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2440 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 11 - Feb 08, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Hate U Give, please sign up.

Melanie Hays It has language, but I teach high school and it's nothing that I don't hear everyday in the halls. It's worded how teens actually speak. Having also…moreIt has language, but I teach high school and it's nothing that I don't hear everyday in the halls. It's worded how teens actually speak. Having also worked in middle school, I wouldn't hesitate to let a 7th or 8th grade student read it.(less)
    A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasUntitled by Sarah J. MaasLord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareCarve the Mark by Veronica RothKing's Cage by Victoria Aveyard
    YA Novels of 2017
    827 books — 3,853 voters
    Caraval by Stephanie GarberGilded Cage by Vic  JamesWintersong by S. Jae-JonesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn EvesFrostblood by Elly Blake
    YA Debuts 2017
    141 books — 952 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer
    ‘‘A hairbrush is not a gun.’’

This doesn’t make any sense. And I hope that to you, too, it will not make any sense.

Starr may only be sixteen, but she has already witnessed two murders in her life: the first of a young black girl in a drive by and the second of a young black boy shot multiple times by a cop.

While she was in the car. Even though they didn’t do anything wrong. Even though he was unarmed.

‘‘A hairbrush is not a gun.’’

Does that make any sense to you? You can’t just kill someone be
    Adam Silvera
    Sep 12, 2016 Adam Silvera rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2016-reads
    GET READY, WORLD!
    Amanda
    Jan 15, 2017 Amanda rated it it was amazing
    "important" doesn't cover it. this is one of the most crucial and honest books ever to be written. this is one of those books i want to put into the hands of every single person i meet, and it's not even out yet. THE HATE U GIVE is going to change the book world as well as the world in which we live--i just know it.
    Camryn Garrett
    Aug 16, 2016 Camryn Garrett rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites, to-buy, not-out
    This book is so important and so true and so real. I can't wait until everyone else gets to read it.
    Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
    Oct 21, 2016 Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: EVERYONE
    Shelves: need-to-review
    Oh man...finishing this book at 1:30 and wanting to have the biggest discussion about it rather than going to sleep. HOW TO SLEEP AFTER THIS ONE??

It was sobering, important and heart-wrenching. I have such deep love for Starr and her family and her friends. I mean, I have a few families in literature that are just so near and dear to my heart and this is one of them now. I don't often ask for unnecessary sequels but I could just follow this family forever. I loved them all so much. And Starr's v
    Meleika
    Dec 21, 2016 Meleika marked it as to-read
    THIS BOOK IS MY MOST ANTICIPATED READ FOR 2017!! It's just straight up important and deals with issues that POC, especially black people, have to deal with everyday.

I will shout this books title off roof tops. I will pre-order it a thousand times because this book is so bloody important and everyone needs to listen and understand our reality.

Idk what else to say other than, you need to read it too. Everyone needs to read it.
    Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
    An Electronic Advance Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an e-ARC and may be subject to change.

Starr Carter is caught between two worlds. When she witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend, those two worlds collide. Soon protests erupt because her friend was unarmed. The shooting is being brought to attention by the media, and they want to know what really happened with Starr being the only witness. Will she stay silen
    Sylvie Bower
    Oct 12, 2016 Sylvie Bower marked it as to-read
    It breaks my heart that this author has to go through the shit she does on Twitter just because she's a WOC who is trying to be inclusive. I wish I could give her a giant hug.

update -

NEW RELEASE DATE!!! yay! It's closer to me now! And THAT COVER
    Cody Roecker
    Sep 19, 2016 Cody Roecker marked it as to-read
    The excerpt has upped my excitement infinitely. Haunting, beautiful, REAL. This book is already taking the world by storm. I simply cannot wait to read the full book. Much love to Angie and everyone who has helped make this book published and available widely for us all <3

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK. I NEEEEEEEEED IT!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY THIS BOOK IS . SUPER IMPORTANT IN TODAY'S SOCIETY AND JUST YES!!!
    Francesca Zappia
    Sep 19, 2016 Francesca Zappia rated it it was amazing
    A pre-emptive five stars because this book sounds amazing and Angela seems wonderful.

Edit: PREORDER LINKS ARE ALIIIIIVE
    Sana
    HOLY S H I T.

So important, so real. Truth bombs dropping all around.

Starr Carter is a forever favorite and really, can't do anything but love the Carters to pieces.
    Nain
    Mar 31, 2016 Nain marked it as to-read
    I'm so excited about this one. And it looks like the movie is already in production and they cast Amandala Stanberg as the main character!
    Liv (Stories For Coffee)
    Jan 22, 2017 Liv (Stories For Coffee) rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    REVIEW TO COME
    Shauna (b00kstorebabe)
    Dec 21, 2016 Shauna (b00kstorebabe) rated it it was amazing
    This is the most important book for young adults of this decade. If you only read one book in 2017, let it be this one. Full review to come.
    Eric Smith
    Sep 07, 2016 Eric Smith added it
    Shelves: young-adult
    Why is this book not in my life yet?! I. Need. It.
    Ellen Oh
    Sep 19, 2016 Ellen Oh rated it it was amazing
    This book won the inaugural Walter Dean Myers award given out by WNDB. A team of amazing agents rated this as one of the best of all the wonderful submissions they received. It went on to be fought over in a 13 house auction and there's even a movie being made. What are you waiting for????!!! Go preorder this book!!!
    S
    Sep 16, 2016 S rated it it was amazing
    Listen: A.C. is an amazing human being and I CANNOT wait to read this book. Seriously. She's an A+ human being and all around writing-angel.
    Sep 18, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
    I'm one of the lucky ones who've gotten to read this already, and every bit of the hype is justified. Pre-order it as soon as you can! Better yet, go to an author event and get it signed.
    Emily King
    Sep 16, 2016 Emily King rated it it was amazing
    This is my most anticipated book of 2017. Can't wait!
    Jazmen This Girl Reads A lot
    I really wanted to be articulate here. I wanted to make sure that I didn't say anything to sway anyone from this book. I wanted to make sure that I did the book justice. I had so many, "I want to make sure's," that I almost talked myself out of writing this review completely. Because, this book is so important. There are young black girls everywhere looking for this kind of novel, looking for a story they can relate to, and although I am not as important as I wish I were--I want these black girl ...more
    The Bookavid
    Sep 06, 2016 The Bookavid marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2017-releases
    Watch out, guys. This book will be huge. I can feel it.
    June can't come soon enough.
    Tehlor Mejia
    Sep 19, 2016 Tehlor Mejia rated it it was amazing
    I'll update when I get to read at last, but even after the excerpt on Elle.com I can tell: Thomas' voice is the kind of vivid, cut-to-the bone prose a story like this needs. Chapter one burrowed into my heart and left a mark. Preorder this book, I can already tell you won't be sorry.
    Eri (Airy Reads)
    Such a powerful and raw read, The Hate U Give is one of those books that will stay with me long after this year and I'm shaken by how true and unflinching this book was about police shootings and the way media narrative shapes the horrifying events that happen and their aftermath.

Thank you Angie Thomas for writing this book and I hope everyone picks this book up; it's too important not to be at the top of everyone's list.

Full review to come closer to release
    Kelly
    This book will mean a lot to a lot of people and for all of the right reasons. A solid, well-written account of the murder of an innocent black boy and the aftermath. Starr's voice is excellent, and the way Thomas puts white characters -- thus, white readers -- in an uncomfortable position is important and necessary.
    Linda Williams Jackson
    Oct 24, 2016 Linda Williams Jackson rated it it was amazing
    I don't think there is anything that I can write that will do this book justice. This book literally gave me ALL the feels--happiness, sadness, anxiety, anger, empathy--and a whole lot of others!

This book is powerful, poignant, and absolutely necessary--so much so that my measly review really can't do it justice. So I'll just sum it up by saying there is a reason there was a 13-editor bidding war over it: This book is something special.

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE STARR AND COMPANY COME TO LIFE ON THE B
    Claire
    Sep 17, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing
    Pre-emptive review? Of course. But a YA Novel on one of the most important civil rights movements to emerge in this decade, even more important.

With the normalising of hate and cruelty this year, teens need to read books about current affairs and the events which shape our future.
    Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
    The first addition to the best of 2017 shelf and also the first 5-star read of the year.

This is a powerhouse. Timely, important, painful. A must-read, will make you think, make you consider your life and privilege. This book is worth the hype -- for real.

RTC if I can find words?
    Laura Silverman
    Sep 19, 2016 Laura Silverman marked it as to-read
    In case you didn't hear the entire Internet cheering, you can officially pre-order T.H.U.G right here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062498533/...

WHO'S SO READY FOR THIS BOOK?
    Dahabo Wacays
    Aug 28, 2016 Dahabo Wacays marked it as to-read
    I am so excited for this dear god
    Diana Urban
    Sep 16, 2016 Diana Urban rated it it was amazing
    CANNOT WAIT to read this book.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
    • Dear Martin
    • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
    • My So-Called Bollywood Life
    • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
    • You're Welcome, Universe
    • The Gauntlet
    • How to Make a Wish
    • Mask of Shadows (Untitled, #1)
    • Sea Witch
    • After the Fall
    • American Street
    • The Girl with the Red Balloon (The Girl with the Red Balloon, #1)
    • Allegedly
    Angie Thomas was born, raised, and still resides in Jackson, Mississippi as indicated by her accent. She is a former teen rapper whose greatest accomplishment was an article about her in Right-On Magazine with a picture included. She holds a BFA in Creative Writing from Belhaven University and an unofficial degree in Hip Hop. She can also still rap if needed. She is an inaugural winner of the Walt ...more
    More about Angie Thomas...