Start by marking “Midnight at the Electric” as Want to Read:
Midnight at the Electric

Midnight at the Electric

Divided by time. Ignited by a spark.

Kansas, 2065.
Adri has secured a slot as a Colonist—one of the lucky few handpicked to live on Mars. But weeks before launch, she discovers the journal of a girl who lived in her house over a hundred years ago, and is immediately drawn into the mystery surrounding her fate. While Adri knows she must focus on the mission ahead, she become
Published June 13th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Midnight at the Electric, please sign up.
Maegan Hanson Yes! There is nothing in it that I would find too graphic for school readers and it does a really good job tying generations together. I really loved…moreYes! There is nothing in it that I would find too graphic for school readers and it does a really good job tying generations together. I really loved it.(less)
Lenna • Sugar Dusted Pages You need to email the children's department of Harper Collin's publishing. That's all I know. Good luck!!
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdied
YA Novels of 2017
1,083 books — 7,414 voters
The Hate U Give by Angie ThomasLong Way Down by Jason ReynoldsTurtles All the Way Down by John GreenVincent and Theo by Deborah HeiligmanWe Are Okay by Nina LaCour
Mock Printz 2018
35 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Earth,” Alexa finally said. “It’s not that great anyway.” And they all smiled sadly. Because, of course, she was being sarcastic. Of course, it was everything.

What a strange, quiet, beautiful book. Anderson is the author of one of my favourite YA books of all time - Tiger Lily - making her someone whose books are auto-buys for me. And Midnight at the Electric didn't disappoint.

I feel like I should issue a warning that those going into this book should prepare themselves for a slow, gentle, b
jessica
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
im pretty sure if you looked up the definition of bittersweet, you would find a picture of this book.

picking this up, the cover and title implied to me that ‘the electric,’ the travelling show, would have some sort of main focus in the book. so i went into this very much expecting a carnivalesque type story, but this was far from that. this was not what i was expecting, not in the slightest.

this was very slow and gentle story about the quiet strength it takes to leave everything you know for th
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

4.5 stars rounded up, because genuine tears and laughs are the most precious things, aren't they? Midnight at the Electric relates several stories entwined, stories about loss and courage and hope and choices. You jump straight into new characters' lives and you just care instantly and isn't it baffling? When I see that I can read an entire book without giving a damn whatsoever and that Jodi Lynn Anderson manages to create a connection between her characters and I in the span of 2 pages, I feel
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This book is a quiet masterpiece. The type of book that relies on the empty space, survives off the quiet and the human rather than the rich and the sci-fi. And it's the type of book you remember. The type of book you won't forget.

Don't go in expecting a shocking sci-fi element or glorious worldbuilding; that's not this book's game. This is a book that thrives on questions, rather than focusing on the small stuff.

I'm really not going to say much more, beyond this: Midnight at the Electric is f
I went into this for all the wrong reasons. If you're looking for a multigenerational YA contemporary read, this is for you. If the science fiction elements are the draw for you, you may be disappointed. I wasn't particularly in the mood for this slower sort of read about loss, relationships and friendship. And I'm sure it didn't help that I never felt a connection to the characters.

Three stories are told tied together by one common character: Galapagos, the tortoise. In 2065, Adri has been sele
may ❀
all this author needed was 257 pages to make me so bloody invested in these characters that i'd go to mars for them.

this was beautiful

RTC

“Maybe now would be a good time for me to pre-apologize. I’m not really a get-to-know-each-other kind of a person. I’m not charming or anything. I’m, like, the opposite of that.”

This was a YA story about a girl leaving for Mars, who finds an old relatives letters and reads them.

Adri was quite a prickly character, and she really didn’t seem to like being around people much at all. I did understand her ne
Natalie Monroe
"Why do you think that is, that you love these people you don't know."

Midnight at the Electric, like Anderson's other works, is a very literary sort of novel. It's quiet, character-focused, with prose that is simple yet elegant.

For that reason, her books often don't get the attention they deserve. It's too highbrow for YA. I confess I'm guilty of that too in this case. While Tiger Lily took my breath away with its quiet ferocity, Midnight at the Electric took me three months to read and left
Zyra
such a beautiful book. every word just makes you want to read more. so much of feelings & emotions through the pages. the ups & downs of these people. their struggles, love, loneliness, living through their lives is captured beautifully by the author.
Irene Sim
I'll just go for the noncommital 3 stars cause this book did nothing for me but I can't fault it either.
It's more historical than fantasy (I really can't see a point for the third story taking place in the future, 2065 to be exact) but the two main stories are set in 1920 and 1935.
The plot lines for each story held no mystery for me, I spotted early on the small twists, and even though the writing style is more than average it failed to grab my attention.
I loved two things about this book: Gal
Katie Grace
THIS BOOK WAS SO SO SO SO SO GOOD. o.o

Like I said before, I randomly picked this book up at the library because I thought the title was pretty. I glanced at the back cover blurb, saw the word mars, and knew that I had to at least give it a try.

Wow. It was so, so amazing. (tip: don't start this book at 11:15pm. you will unavoidably stay up past midnight and suffer from an aching back and tired eyes the next morning)

This is the kind of story I want to write. The author has such a way with words,
Mila
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Grief isn't like sadness at all. Sadness is only something that's a part of you. Grief becomes you; it wraps you up and changes you and makes everything - every little thing - different than it was before".

While the genres of this book are sci-fi and historical fiction, they're only relevant in the setting - one part of it takes place in the future, two others in the past. Other than that, it's a character novel which is filled with feelings of loneliness, despair, regret; but also hope, unity,
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Beth, I've made a discovery, and it's that grief isn't like sadness at all. Sadness is only something that's a part of you. Grief becomes you; it wraps you up and changes you and makes everything -- every little thing -- different than it was before."

there are books that you seek out and there the books that seem to find you. this book found me at a time when i've recently experienced a huge loss in my life. and jodi lynn anderson really knows how to write about loss and how empty it can make
Andreas
"“Lily?”, she whispered. Lily didn’t move. “Can I tell you something?” Lilly breathed deeply, clearly asleep. “I think all my life my heart’s been broken,” Adri whispered, “and I didn’t even notice. And I don’t even know by what.”

It wasn't because of any one thing – not losing parents she didn’t remember, not growing up in the group home – not the obvious things. It felt more like it had just come from being born, from time existing."

Wow, I haven’t a lot to say about this novel, and even if I
Eryn (Literary Lady)
3 / 5

What a great book to read right before my flight. Really. It’s such an easy and lovely novel. Not spectacular by any means, but definitely enjoyable.

This could’ve been 4 stars if I’d enjoyed Lenore’s part more (I wasn’t into the letter format or her life story); however, Catherine and Adri’s parts made up for it. I really liked Adri’s role and how she was going to live on Mars. I thought that was super neat.

As I mentioned in an update, I literally bought this book because I loved the co
Lenna • Sugar Dusted Pages
4.5 StarsJodi Lynn Anderson is one of my very favorite authors. Tiger Lily is my favorite YA book, and that and The Vanishing Season both made me cry.

Her writing is so beautiful, her stories so bittersweet. After reading this I felt sad... but not in a bad way. More like how sometimes you feel lonely when you remember a good memory. Or when something happens that you know is right, but it doesn't make it any less melancholy.

I'm honestly not sure how to review this. I'll try though. *sobs*

As alw
Zenki the Hermit
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simplicity is beauty
This book is a really great example.

"I know I'll never see England or China and never have Ellis and never be rich. So I want to hold that ball of lightning in my hands. I want my chance at living too, and this is as close as I can get."

Scattered here and there are utterly relatable passages. Surely the characters are going through something far different that what you're going through but the way they describe their feelings, it's very easy to think of moments where you
Kristina Horner
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a random pick at a used bookstore, but I loved every minute of it, and hadn’t really read anything quite like it before. Loved all three narrators and felt totally invested in each of their stories.
Cori Reed
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was entirely unlike anything I had read before. Part historical fiction, part science fiction, and 100% beautiful. It's a quick and powerful read that I definitely recommend!
Carlos
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I was kind of disappointed with this one , while the story told in this book has its merit and its arch is well detailed, it was not sci-fi which was the hook for me when choosing to read this book. The electricity and the promise to live forever play a minimal role and when it s mentioned it is unimportant. That being said this is a story about 2 female friends played out through 3 generations, from America during the Dust bowl all the way to futuristic England when the main character is hoping ...more
Emily (Falling for YA)
This novel sounds really ambitious...I'm not even sure how this story could be told is less than 300 pages. If anyone can do it though it would be Jodi Lynn Anderson.
Kim Kaso
3.5 rounded down. I liked all the characters, enjoyed the stories, but felt trying to connect them was forced. It feels
as if ever since the success of Cloud Atlas, authors have been doing the multiple stories/characters/interconnected structure, and it so often feels forced and artificial. The story-telling trope du jour. Not every story works, this one feels a bit like a jigsaw puzzle where someone is trying to force the pieces to fit. It has good bits, but simply is not as good as it might hav
Trisha
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"Isn't it strange how a whole life can begin with a little spark?”

What a wonderfully quiet story. About loss and grief and family and a sense of belonging - the idea that your history tells part of your story.

This is the story of 3 different girls in 3 different times. The stories are a bit like puzzle pieces but one of the reasons I loved it was because of how it was written.

First there is Adri. She is in a future time from now. She has applied and been granted approval to begin the process o
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/5 stars

Midnight at the Electric is a standalone YA novel.

The book features three stories woven together. There are three young women who feature prominently in this book: Adri in 2065, Catherine in 1934 and Lenore in 1919. For this reason I'm not even sure exactly what genre to put this book in. It is sort of part futuristic and part historical.

The main narrator is 16-17 year old Adri (3rd person POV). Her story takes place almost 50 years in the future. Adri moves in with her older cousin L
Fatma

wow. what a warm, understated gem of a novel.

Midnight at the Electric is a novel that epitomizes "less is more." I don't even know where to begin with this novel. On its surface, Midnight at the Electric is not a particularly epic or sweeping tale, but that's because grandiosity is not what it draws its strength from. This a quiet, unassuming novel, seemingly straightforward until you turn its last page and realize that you're devastated and/or crying your eyes out. If you don't think s
Diana
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
Of the three voices that make the whole story I only did find interesting one of them. The other two (Adri, the one who is going to Mart; and Leonore, writting letters to Beth) were without interest to me. Overall, I found this book was slow and around 60ish% of it I had lost all interest on it.
Lila Kims
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I swear, this book has a pulse. One of the deepest, quietest, most powerful, most beautiful books I have ever read, Midnight at the Electric peels back three layers - three girls, three generations. Each with a different story to tell, but all connected in ways you never predict.

Do yourself a favor and READ THIS GEM. <3 <3 <3

(content note: several instances of the a-word, implications of a certain character having sex outside of marriage, some passionate kissing. None of it graphic.)
Lisa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc
At first, I really didn't know what to expect. This story starts off with Adri preparing herself for a (permanent) trip to Mars. She seems like an odd bird, and as she interacts with her long lost relative Lily, the narrative really starts to come to life.

Then you're drawn into the history (via letters) of Adri and Lily's family, and I was completely sucked in.

This is definitely a case of a slow and steady start with a deep and emotionally powerful ending. I loved every inch of this book!
TheYALibrarian
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, meh, a-waste-of-time
DNF 30%

I always feel bad DNFing a book but these days I have so many books to read so I can't afford wasting time on a book I do not like. I probably would have kept going if Adri was more likeable character but really she is just a angsty teenager with a chip on her shoulder and it was getting super old and annoying fast. Also her voice wasn't very strong either and neither was Lenore's or Catherine's. Maybe I'll come back to this but who knows.
Lauren
Jun 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
OMG OMG OMG

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE TIGER LILY AND IT IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME!!!!

HOW AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS BOOK NOW??

IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GOING TO HAUNT ME AND I NEED IT NOW!!!

I'M GOING TO BUY THIS NOW!!!
I write strange and mythical stories about young people.
“I think that's what you say when you can't have something you want, isn't it? You say you don't want it in the first place.” 18 likes
“I wonder if sometimes you can miss something so much it breaks you, and still be happy you left.” 15 likes