Start by marking “World War 1: A History From Beginning to End” as Want to Read:
World War 1: A History From Beginning to End

World War 1: A History From Beginning to End

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  817 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
World War I

World War 1 was one of the bloodiest wars in modern history. At its end, it had claimed over seventeen million lives. It led to the collapse of nations, the abdication of monarchies and ended empires. Entire divisions of men perished in the pursuit of mere miles of uninhabitable wasteland –– towns were pulverized and millions displaced. It became a horrendous wa

Published September 12th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about World War 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War 1

Sumit RK
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The book intends to give a brief summary of the First World War, so I did not expect much going in and to that extent it delivers. However, while this book covers all key battles of the War, it was very poorly put together. The narration keeps moving from the western front to the eastern front to the Middle East abruptly. I also hope, they could have focused more on key Battles of Somme & Verdun. But unfair to except much details in just 50 pages. So, Overall a good read. 2.5/5
Tom
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Got this as a free e-book download, so I figured what the heck, I'll try it. Turns out, it is just about what you'd expect from a 50-page "history" of...well, anything: a list of events. First this happened. Then that happened. Next, this other thing happened. Yes, the events presented are all important aspects of the First World War. And yes, all of these events are laid out in a pretty cohesive chronological order. But they are never covered in any detail; they are seldom put into any kind of ...more
Troy Parfitt
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book is free, so thank you to the writer. It reads sort of like a high school textbook, only the view is broader and there are no sources or activities. The story is so interesting, it'd be hard to go wrong, but Mr. Freeman should have gotten an editor. There are several mistakes (for example, the past tense of sink is sank, not sunk) and the style is clunky and mechanical. Some of the chapter titles are dreadful. But if you overlook the writing, the book provides a decent overview of the wa ...more
The  Conch
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to know about world war 1, and kindle offers me this one free. So, why to waste the chance. The real reason is to win the Goodread challenge;)
Sandy K
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
brief elaboration of war in terms of all aspects... nice & meaningful book.....
Edwin Lowe
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warfare-ww-1-2
A Good Book About An Important Event in Human History!!

This book provides the reader with a well written, consise, and fact filled account of World War 1 (WW 1) It is filled with information regarding the key events, nations involved, why they fought, the major battles, the weapons used, the conditions men fought and died in, and so forth. I bet some folks are asking why should I read a book about World War I? Consider that WW 1 resulted in more than 9 Million soldiers fatalities, more than 20 M
Abhijeet Jain
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
" Short, quick, boring, pile of date-wise world war 1 stats "

^ this is what the book is, If you hate too many dates like me, you won't like this book.

description

It would have been better if the author had put all the dates at the end of the book, But he didn't, which made this more boring than my academic history books.

Me while reading this book :-

The only reason to read it is: it's available for free on kindle.

My take: Better watch some World War 1 documentary than to read this collection of dates!
Neelam Babul
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A brief summary on world war one. A nice way of refreshing or revising for your history class.
Kodie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book very useful considering the length- it is exceedingly short. I found that it gave a good, brief description of ww1 and gave me a really good insight of the events that took place and the horrific conditions that soldiers faced daily. I read this book due to the fact I'm currently taking history as a gcse, however I was quite behind on this topic and I found that this book really helped and caught me up. I would definitely recommend this for abit of light, extra reading. persona ...more
Hasso von Moltke
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wwi
Essentially a high school paper

The intent of this book is to simply give a brief summary of the First World War, so I did not expect much going in, as I have studied the Great War extensively. However, while this book does a generally acceptable quick overview of the conflict, it is full of annoying errors and clunky language. Most of the errors are miniscule, but they remain consistently there. The most glaring of these is the author's persistent mistake in referring to the Balkans as the Balti
Gareth
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good and detailed

I've read a few different short ww1 books and this one ranks among the best. Although it is short there is a lot of detail involved and sometimes it was like reading through a detailed timeline . My only gripe is when battles are referred to as american and allies, America was part of the allies, why refer to them as their own entity. But that's my just having a moan, its a decent book and whether you're starting to learn about the war from a beginner point of view or are just r
Pete
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
World War 1: A History from Beginning to End (2016) by Henry Freeman is a short, 50 page history of WWI.

The book doesn't contain any great insights but for anyone looking for something more than a wikipedia page but less than the typical five hundred page history it is useful. I certainly learned quite a few things about WWI and will probably go back and read it in future. It's a bit like one of the short introduction to books but it is even shorter.

The book does exactly what it describes and i
Karthik BS
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice book for beginners

What I enjoyed the most is the fact that narration concentrated on mentioning chain of events or battles without going deep into any of those. For large part, it felt like narration was by neutral person and not any one side was glorified or justified for its action.
But to make things clearer, I would have appreciated if individual events were followed by maps.
R
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick reading with clear and concise details for anybody who wants to understand WWI in a short time. A suitable book to prepare oneself for more detailed study of the war for school or an assignment. Language is simple and suitable for students. No unnecessary details. Mostly information about the war, supply, lives lost, war technology, lands acquired and lost - divided into year-wise sections. Looking forward to more such short books on various historical events.
Victoria Simcox
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Both sides strived to slay countless adversaries. World War One developed into awful combat of slow destruction. Cities were crushed and masses lost all they had. Pursuing vast ransacked badlands, partitions of civilization died. This read is laden with facts including biological armaments, dugout combat, air combat and much more between enemies. A well-written book with intriguing explanations of an unforgettable War.
Lee
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Quick read but...

This book, although informative, was very poorly put together. It almost seems like it took as long to read it as the author took to write it (approximately 1 hour). Events of the war seem scattered and the flow of the book almost seems like the author took paragraphs from other books and just kind of stuck them next to each other.
Would not recommend.
Spanishliz
Attempts to be a brief overview of a complex subject, and in so doing makes numerous errors. (e.g. refers to the Balkans as the Baltics, gets the date of Jutland wrong, calls Dogger Bank "Dodder" Bank, proclaims that all British pilots were called Aces...) Please don't give this to any young people to read, it won't help them with their studies.
Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick interesting book. It is too short to give you much detail about any one item but covers in a speedy way the entire war. Other books will provide more understanding of battles and politics that are going on at this time period but this book only tries to give you a quick overview.
Loretta Behringer
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

A brief history of World War II. One glaring error . It says Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Point plan became the United Nations. Wrong. It was the failed League of Nations. Don't get this book.
Pratik
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
A good book about World War 1. A brief history has been given by Henry Freeman. A good book to read.
Kcp

Nineteen
Twenty
Sean
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice synopsis of WWI, which is all I was looking for. Plus, it's free.
Mario
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick 40(ish)-page summary of all the major events of WWI. Good for hitting all the key points, although a few maps would have been useful.
Bruce
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Henry Freeman is an excellent, straight forward historian, who makes complicated history easier to comprehend.
MJ
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A visit to WW1

This book gives neutral view of World War 1.
This book is just a brief of WW-1. It needs to give more details of critical war.
RAJAT
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay

It is just an okay book. Nothing more. Feel free to skip this book. It might save you some time.
Larry K. Emmons
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick read of WWI

Quick read with many statistics about World War I. The number of deaths is astounding, I recommend for others who may want to read about WWI.
Lucas
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book if you consider that it only has 50 pages and totally free. I think that it could has more politics details and talk about US had made money with the war.
M
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An excellent primer on WWI for students of all ages.
Karan Bhalla
May 22, 2017
Henry Freeman is an author and archaeologist. He has a passion for history and loves to travel the world exploring various historical sites.

Henry graduated from the University of Cambridge with a double major in History and Archaeology and shortly after that started his career as an archaeologist.

After traveling the world getting first-hand experience with history, Henry was determined to take up

Nonfiction Deals

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99