Start by marking “The Secrets in My Scowl” as Want to Read:
The Secrets in My Scowl

The Secrets in My Scowl

Sparks ignite and tempers flare when a sexy, optimistic wedding planner moves his business in across the hall from a jilted, divorce lawyers practice.

Look smart ass. This is the last time Im going to remind you about breaking sections of the lease. If theres a next time, I wont stop until you and your frilly, white wedding shit is thrown out of here. Do you got it?!
Published October 28th 2016 by Via Star Wings Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets in My Scowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets in My Scowl

Start your review of The Secrets in My Scowl
Sabrina

The m/m genre is a favorite of mine but also something I can be very picky about. So when I find a good author for the genre I practically jump for joy. And trust me when I say A.E Via is an author worth jumping for! I loved the books I've read from her in the past, and I loved this new one.

Jacob and Wylde had some amazing chemistry and I loved seeing them trying to fight it. Jacob was the asshole of the book, but also the one that I related to the most. His past was a little heartbreaking and
Bibi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
**3.5 stars**

Perfect enemies to lovers story. Hot!
Jaime
The Secrets in my Scowl is a fun book with humor and romance along with a grumpy MC that has given up on Love and a happy MC who is in the business of love and HEA. This book fits nicely into the grumpy to lovable trope and AE Via keeps us entertained with their antics.

The MC are Jacob & Wylde. Jacob is a successful - top-notch Divorce attorney who never loses in court and doesn't believe in love. No he has been left just one too many times by people who claimed to have loved him. He lives
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 4.5 I LOVE IT

My feelings about the BOYS in this book....>

Be real now. Who doesnt want to eat Wylde like an ice-cream? And add Jacob as that super sweet (Grumpy) cherry on top...oh boy..its GOOOOOOOD!!!!

Now if I should start with all the things this Story made me feel Ill be writing an essay of epic proportions. Seeing that there is no shortage of great reviews already writing on the topic, Ill just keep it short.

Im smiling like a fool and
Ariana
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
I really liked the cover. I really liked the title. The blurb sounded like fun.
Unfortunately, for me, the book didn't follow suit.
I'm sorry to say that there's something about AE Via's writing style that simply isn't for me. The story held so much potential, but I was sorely disappointed with its execution.

First the MCs don't even meet until 28%. Amongst other stuff my patience was drained by uninteresting court cases that had nothing to do with the plot. There was so much telling without
Wendy

3,5 Stars from me :)
I really enjoyed this one, than again, I seem to enjoy pretty much everything A.E Via writes.

We have one bitter 38 year old divorce lawyer, Jacob, who has been scorned by love more than once...hence the bitter :)

And we have a 30 year old wedding planner, Wylder, also scorned by love. He however sees things a bit more optimistic and still believes his handsome prince must be out there somewere :)

They meet when Wylder moves his bussiness into the same building as Jacob's
BWT (Belen)
3.5 Stars

A.E. Via has a way with writing a tortured hero that draws me in and makes me forgive even the biggest of jackasses.

It's no different this time around with Jacob Snowden, who takes being obstreperous and difficult to new highs, yet Via made me feel for him and hope that he gets a happily-ever-after.

Wylde Sterling was a joy to read from the beginning. Reading about his failed dates was both funny and cringe-worthy, because I've been on those kinds of dates and totally related. I loved
Gabby
This story is so damn beautiful. This book follows a divorce attorney named Jacob Snowden who has been hurt so many times and has difficulty trusting anyone in a romantic relationship to the point where he has closed himself off from the world. Wylde is a wedding planner and he has just moved in across the hall from Jacob's office and tension rises as Wylde and Jacob argue and try to figure out how to work across the hall from each other in peace. Jacob is very confrontational and he always ...more
Josy
I swear all you Santas and elves are so unbelievably awesome!!!

We talked about a BR for this book and what happens? The BuddyRead Elf shows up and sends me the book. Thank you, BuddyRead Elf!!! Can't wait for the (our) BR :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 2.5 stars ~

I know it's been almost two months since I BRed this book with my ladies Karen and Christelle but still... Not remembering anything about this book without having to read through all our comments isn't a good sign, right?

Tina
*****5 OUTSTANDING STARS*****

Sex sent me to the ER!

A.E. Via nailed it again with a very heartwarming and emotional story of learning to trust and find love again.
 photo 6CB86ADB-B6B4-4163-BA2F-A2160EFE653B_zpslugha3av.gif

Jacob - Alone. Hiding. Broken.
Wylde - Lovely. Hopeful. Strong.
 photo B1D69937-CD1A-4384-8B4F-6DDE8CA71FAC_zpsz38wgz2x.gif

Be prepared to pull an all-nighter, because they will pull you in and leaves you with no hope of sleep, but this book is so worth losing your sleep over.
 photo 5E302C28-308F-44BC-8FC4-3896527919E8_zpsvpt684vs.gif

Okay, this is something well never talk about or think about again, Jacob said and hid his face and his bright
*TANYA*
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DO NOT JUDGE THIS BOOK BY THE TITLE!!! I almost passed this one up because of the asinine title but it came highly recommended. I figured Id read a few chapters and then shelf it. Im so glad I stuck with it, turned out to be super ADORABLE!!! I was immediately transfixed by the story. I loved the no bs connection between the 2 mcs. My heart ached for Jacob, he truly deserved his HEA. It had just enough angst to keep me on edge. Overall, a great read indeed. ...more
Christelle
Another fun BR with my besties : Karen and Josy !!!!

And 3 stars for this new release from A.E.Via. Not an action-packed romance this time but an opposite attract to each other romance.
Jacob is almost 40, a divorce lawyer, and so bitter after being abandoned by his parents and former lovers that he became an angry and lonely man.
And then, arrives in the office next door Wylder, 30 year old and a wedding planner and, even thought he cant find his man, still hopes and is all fun and optimism.
It
Lisa
I was given a copy of this book free by the author in exchange for an unbiased review.

Ok, got to say it. I loved it!
I loved grumpy Jacob and lovely Wylde.
The book start as Jacob is getting ready to go to college. We have insights as to what made him the way he is today.
The beginning of the relationship was a bit bumpy. Jacob being his normal self but Wlyde being upbeat. The contrasts between the two offices and the staff.
Yes, parts of this story were sad but there were also lots of lol moments,
Tammy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing-books
This was a an amazing book, Jacob finally found his one and truly one worthy of his love and trust. Quite a few serious and funny parts to this and what I liked best was at the end there werent any loose ends of the story the reader was left wondering about everything and everyone was explained. Jacob and Wilde complimented each other PERFECTLY! ...more
Chris
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Again another great book from this author who is fast moving up on my " must buy" list. I loved this book - it was as painful, raw and so honest. Jacob had been hurt by love that he built his own fortress and made sure no one was able to breach it. He had no relationships, no family and only one friend who he only saw when an " itch needed to be scratched " Along comes Wylde the wedding planner who sets up an office across from Jacob's which did not go down so well. Wylde also feeling the pain ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another awesome buddy read with my beautiful besties Josy and Christelle. I really enjoyed this one, but I'm a sap for that story where the embittered, heartless soul gets blindsided by love...yeah, I'm a hopeless romantic at the end of the day.

Jacob's a divorce lawyer and he's no fan of love. Unfortunately his life's been filled with heartbreak and disappointments so he's made the decision to keep the world at arms length while standing behind a brick wall and he thinks that he's
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Might contain spoilers*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book is about divorce lawyer Jacob Snowden (39) and wedding planner Wylde Sterling (31). Jacob has had bad luck when it comes to love; his mom abandoning him and his father, his father becoming a mean drunk, his then boyfriend dumped him and his to be fiance cheated on him. All this has made him bitter and made him given up on love. Wylde hasn't had much luck either; boyfriend cheated on him. But he refuses to give up on love, certain that love will
Ele
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Last time with this author. No, this time I mean it. I swear.
Fani
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
"Please dont let us hurt each other."

A cynical divorce lawyer and a romantic wedding planner in the same building? Thats the kind of tension I look for in romance stories. Jacob and Wylde had very opposite personalities yet such an amazing chemistry.

I think the reason they were able to connect with each other so well was the fact that they both were hurt by other people in the past and their differences came by the way each of them chose to handle the mistreatment they received in life.

I
♥️Victoria ♥️ ♥️love books♥️
8/4/2019 Re-read

Andddddddd I still love this book!!! How I love a broody ALPHA.... we need more books like this one!!!

Overall book rating: 4.5 Stars
Audio book: n/a
Book Cover: 4 Stars
MC1: Jacob Snowden
MC2: Wylde

I love a powerful and all alpha character like the next girl but seeing an alpha beak down - Powerful

I loved this book so much it was just amazing!!! This was my very first AE Via book but definitely not the last!!!

I loved how Wylde and Jacob's relationship developed and even though
Bitchie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
Well, this was one of those "I was only going to read a couple of chapters and see if I like it, and then I couldn't put it down, and read all night" books!

This was practically A Christmas Carol, only with no Christmas, or spirits, and no greed, but Jacob had such a negative, Scrooge like attitude. He was outright rude on numerous occasions, and there's really no excuse for his behavior. But now I'm going to say that, I actually did understand. He was trying to hard to protect himself, that his
BR11
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good! Just released. It does have some editing errors, but it's a solid story with well developed characters.
You get to see glimpses of Jacob's past, which helps understanding why he is like he is at almost forty.

Jacob

And then we meet Wylde... he's just adorbs and exactly what serious Jacob needs to give love another chance. Good thing for all of us that Jacob is also exactly what Wylde has been looking for for so long.

Wylde is 31 and Jacob's complete opposite with his perma-cheer
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I loved this book! At the moment is my favourite by this author.
Enemies to loves is maybe my favourite topic, and this book truly gives us that kind of relationship and development!
I loved how much the mcs came to appreciate and care about each other, the way they are together and how Wylde brought light to Jacob.
I really loved the story. Maybe (especially at the beginning) Jacob was too much attached to his past and a little bit too much resentful, but it worked.
And obviously there is HEA.
justanya
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aar-priority
The key to my heart is a good romance. Throw in a romance featuring a grumpy tortured hero and Im your reading slave for life!
I love reading about tortured heroes and their struggles in accepting / recognizing love and happiness when it comes their way. It makes their HEA (after a lifetime of disappointment and heartbreak) that more deeply felt and appreciated. I cry at the drop of a hat over stories like this. A.E. Via, writes characters that are a cross between Mary Calmes/ Amy Lane with some
Nat ReadingAllNite
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, are
3.5 stars. This was a very different type of story for AE Via. It was much more of a romantic love story than her past, more action oriented books. I like the second half of the story far more than the first half. The first few chapters were about Jacob's earlier life and the events that turned him into a very angry, closed-off, rude and dismissive person. He was also cynical about his clients and somewhat sleazy as a divorce lawyer. Wylde's character was much more likable as an easygoing, ...more
Pati
I received this book from the author through the GoodReads M/M Romance group's, Don't Buy Me Love program. I voluntarily write this fair and honest review.

I must say that while reading this book that I fluctuated between liking it and disliking it. On one hand I liked Wylde and Jacob yet on the other hand their individual characters actions were too over the top to be believable.

A couple of examples...
1) Jacob's temper tantrums over first the trash & then the sign. *sigh* I'm sorry but a
1-Click Addict Support Group
"Point is, when you find someone brave enough not to be scared off by your fake male bravado. A person who will get in your face and tell you, 'You're going to love me whether you want to or not.' Those are the keepers. The one that aren't willing to fight or put in the work for you, sacrifice for you...those are the ones you keep your guard up with."

The Secrets in my Scowl was one of those delightful reads. The kind where love isn't easy, but the lovers don't let it scare them off. It felt
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
3.5 / 5

Needed some easy reading for the plane, so I started by finishing this. I enjoyed the main couple a lot and the bond that they form, and honestly the premise of the story sounds like some kind of rom com movie. I explained the plot to my dad and he asked if I was reading a Harlequin, because that's what it sounded like. Nuff said. Not that it doesn't go deeper than a Harlequinn romance in terms of emotions and the development of trust, but I certainly didn't feel like this was
Claudia
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
September 2019
I loved it more this time around ... when I started I was waiting eagerly for the time when Jacob stopped acted like an ass. and after that is was pure pleasure.

June 2018
this book is difficult to rate for me: on one hand I really enjoyed it and liked both MCs
Wylde is just adorable and Jacob is a misunderstood hero. I liked how their relationship developed and thought it was really well done.

on the other hand I was really frustrated with Jacob.... I understood part of his reasoning
Leaundra
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Jacob was hard to like at first. I understand why but ugh he was an ass in the beginning. So glad Wylde came into his life. Wylde was perfect for him and I really loved his personality.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Virgin Flyer
  • Blade (Hell's Ankhor #1)
  • Biker Daddy
  • Cold Hard Cash
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • Need for Speed (The Elite, #2)
  • Gunnar (Hell's Ankhor #2)
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Inside (Death Row Chronicles #1)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Thorn in His Side
  • Boyfriend Booked
A.E. Via is an author in the beautiful gay romance genre and also founder and owner of Via Star Wings Books. Her writing embodies everything from hopelessly romantic to spicy to scandalous. Her stories often include intriguing edges and twists that take readers to new, thought-provoking depths.

When she's not clicking away at her laptop, she devotes herself to her family--a husband and four

News & Interviews

“It’s customary to stand when a lady enters and leaves the room, Mr. Snowden.” Jacob cut his dark eyes to her. “If and when I’m in the presence of a lady, I’ll be sure to do that.” 1 likes
“Okay, this is something we’ll never talk about or think about again,” Jacob said and hid his face and his bright smile in his pillow.
“You came first.”
“I thought you were getting ready to give it to me.”
“I was!” Wylde yelled, hiding under Jacob’s armpit, still unable to stop his own laughing. “Next time I’ll actually get it in the hole.”
0 likes