Start by marking “The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe” as Want to Read:
The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe

The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe

This account of the events which led to Marilyn Monroe's death on 4th August 1962 contends that the Los Angeles Police Department have perpetuated a cover-up generated over 30 years ago. The story behind the conspiracy of silence is revealed.
Published August 1st 1999 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe

Sezín Koehler
This book is a punch in the gut. If I were to find out that my beloved River Phoenix had not died of a drug overdose, but rather somebody had poisoned him, my heart would break a second time. That is how I feel right now about Marilyn Monroe.

Ever since I was a little girl Marilyn Monroe was my favorite. I've read dozens of books about her and I've even read books about her death, speculations that she didn't actually commit suicide.

But this book is a horse of a different color: it proves that n
Marilyn D'Auria
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Hollywood and politics
I was given this book as an Xmas gift and was mildly interested but suspected it would not alter my opinion that she probably died from an accidental overdose.
I was wrong.
The amount of research amassed for this work is astronomical, especially the documentation connecting the intricate networking of the comintern in Marilyn's life as well as her whereabouts at almost every point in her life and her intimate connection to the presidency. The author has documented that the autopsy was a sham. She
Rachel Hunter
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book- it's well researched and not only gives a interesting view point on Marilyn's untimely death but provides a lot of really interesting details on her childhood.
Nicci
Mar 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Undoubtedly, the most insightful and important book written on the death of Marilyn Monroe. This includes just about every detail on the life of Monroe that one could imagine. It discusses her relationships with many important figures in both her life and in society. It includes the layout of her home, all available coroner's notes, detailed biography of Monroe and the people in her life. He notes the suspects, the flaws in the suicide story, and even details in police, ambulance, and witness re ...more
Mark Simmons
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Wolfe is an excellent writer, giving a compelling account of Marilyn's life from her broken childhood through to Stardom and its inevitable conclusion. You really get the sense of a deeply complex, intelligent and talented person who's motivation was to be loved and accepted, but was used and misused by those around her. However, Wolfe is less successful at proving his theory that Bobby Kennedy and two police bodyguards overdosed her (accidentally by injection) while searching her house for her ...more
Joanna Mcdonald
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I never really knew much about Marilyn Monroe until I read this book. It gives you an insight to her life from her birth to her untimely death.
The author (Donald Wolfe) doesn't beat around the bush in this book, he beleives she was murdered and even names the murderers and with the overwhelming evidence he produces, it's really hard not to beleive him or even beleive that something wasn't right.
From the way the police handled her investigation until her funeral, was a complete farce, missing do
The1likenevl
Jul 07, 2012 marked it as to-read
I've had this book for a few years now & cannot bring myself to read it. Everyone has an opinion on Marilyn Monroe untimely death but truly I believe she was murdered. This book (as told to me by others that have read it) comes close to all but naming names of her her murderers & conspirators who covered it up. All in all very sad. I will however read it one day to form my own opinion... :(
Chenice
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A very good and insightful book. Thoroughly reinforced my view what Marilyn was assassinated. R.I.P- Marilyn the person may be gone but her legend will live on forever.
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
A thoroughly important, well researched piece of work by an acclaimed biographer.

I had anticipated that the book would focus just on the last few years of Monroe's life, and was pleased to find it read more like a full lifetime biography, with obvious emphasis placed on the murder theory of her untimely death and it's immediate aftermath.

The author offers intriguing arguments for his theory, and calls upon apparent credible witnesses and statements made in the summer of 1962. Whether or not you
Jacqui
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
So ... the Commies (her analyst, her housekeeper, etc.) wanted to get close to Marilyn so they could get the dirt on the Kennedys while the Kennedys needed her dead because she had the dirt on their connections with the Mafia (election-rigging, Cuba, etc.). Hmmmm. Some of the medical evidence that her death couldn't have been self-administered is quite convincing, but as always, the author accepts without documentary evidence the sources that fit with his argument, and dismisses as spurious thos ...more
Afsana
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Issue with this

this was a good story

told the the events surrounding her death and the changes in story. Then it went back to her birth and progrssed on introducing the characters that later would be part of the "conspiracy" and may show why they are involved.

But the tape got jammed in the tape player and ruined and was due back at the library and I wanted to know what they were going to do re the ruined tape so returned
Marty
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprise. Well documented review of what happened to Marilyn. Her innocence; the complexity of the relationships and their links to the communistic party.....and the events around the relationship to the Kennedys. And, the coverup.....how sad no justice was possible. Was saddened and angered by the information in the book.
Emily Finch
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pile-of-poop
I don't even need to read this book to know what utter shit it is. Anyone who believes this is real is actually a moron. There is no solid evidence to back this book up. Do some real research and don't believe everything you read. Pathetic.
-1000 stars.
Felicity
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Felicity by: My Dad
Read this twice during my Marilyn Monroe obsession phase and bought into it. It definitely has a lot of credibility and is worth reading for conspiracy theorists.
Holly Beaumont
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
In an era when actresses were supposed to be little more than box office bodies, Marilyn Monroe was so much more than that. She was a force to be reckoned with. She challenged her directors, fought hard to find an artistic 'truth' in her characters and in doing so earned herself a reputation as a difficult woman to work with. But this book reveals her to be hard-working, dedicated and determined not to be forever trapped into dumb blonde roles and duff contracts.

I read this book in the wake of
Carrie Marshall
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I'm a fan of all things Marilyn. And I do believe she did not kill herself with all the evidence. That's why I wanted to read this book. To see if someone else shared my views of a coverup and long time deceit. We'll never know the truth. Especially now with time not on our side. She was a victim of all aspects of her life, even in her death I believe.
LT
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book! I couldn’t put this book down when I was reading it! Highly recommended.. love Marilyn!
Shelley
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of the late Marilyn Monroe’s since I first saw Some Like It Hot on TV as a kid. Of course, when I saw SLIH, Marilyn had been dead for some years, but the conspiracies and controversies about her remain to this day.

The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe, by Donald H. Wolfe was a fascinating read, and one I found very hard to put down. I first read this book a couple of years ago, and it is one that I re-read snippets of every now and then.

What a complex and intriguing person Marily
Alrik
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We have had to wait quite a long time for books that try to look behind the myth of the celebrity sex symbol Marilyn Monroe became, and bring to light the real flesh-and-blood human being she was behind the facade. This is one of the few books that does exactly that, and couples it with an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding her mysterious death.

Reading this, it quickly becomes clear there was definitely a lot of pain and suffering hidden behind all the glitter and glamour. After a very
Katie McAdam
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was something I picked up out of sheer curiosity and a little shock, I was probably 14 or 15 and I had never looked into the like of Marilyn Monroe much and knew very little about the details of her life or death.
This book is very easy to read and gripping.
It takes you through Norma Jean's life from being a small troubled child all the way through to her last days including extracts from meetings with her therapist and even sections of the paperwork used through her autopsy and followi
James
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to James by: Madelyn Wray
This was another very well-written work by Donald H. Wolfe. This book, while interesting and entertaining, was, by no means, sensational in any way. Wolfe drew this reader in by setting the crime scene stage and facts surrounding the discovery of Marilyn Monroe's body. He then methodically reported on Monroe's life and the various associations that she had that ultimately resulted in her assassination. There is very little doubt in this reader's mind as to what really happened and I learned a tr ...more
Simone
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of my most read Marilyn biographies. I'm a big Marilyn fan, and to be honest I'm not sure what to believe of her death anymore as there are so many different theories- as well as so many people trying to cash in on her name by providing outlandish scenarios. I've moved right away from any focus on her death to reading more about her life. That said, this book certainly has its theories, however I enjoyed the style of writing when I first read it 10 years ago, and found the author's take on t ...more
Nicci
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't believe Marilyn was murdered and after reading this book, I still don't believe the conspiracy theories. She had tried to kill herself quite a few times. It was only a matter of time before noone came to her rescue. A conspiracy is made whenever a celebrity dies. This book is really easy to read though and I read this book in a couple of days but then Donald Wolfe's other book is also easy to read too. He is a good writer.
Maria
Mar 31, 2012 added it
FInished. It's a good book. A lot of unnecessary detail about people who don't really matter much in the story, but still it's good and the facts seem to be backed up and documented. I always thought the Kennedy's had something to do with it. Now I really believe they had her killed.

Yea!! A conspiracy theory book about Ms. Monroe - love it! Can't wait to read it!
Laurel
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
You have to get over the first 300 (of 585) pages...by skimming, and deciding for yourself which info is pertinent or relevant to your quest. Skim through 100's of pages of who was at whose home of the "communist party" held at a friends. Otherwise a well documented bio of Marilyn's grow-up time. Also, reasonably explains her addictions AND NEED OF complete adoratioon.
Kv
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ironically, the Lifetime movie premiered while I was reading this book. Which solidified the great lengths that have been taken in order for this cover up to stay covered up. Great book to read! I believed tragic suicide when I bought the book. After reading the detailed facts in the book, I definately believe she was murdered.
Gemma Ireland
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, marilyn-monroe
Wow, took about a year to get through it but I finally got there, after picking up and putting down. Once I hit the half way mark, I was reading chunks at a time. Goes into details about the Kennedy's and the Mafia. Fabulous book.
This book makes me believe that the Mafia killed JFK.
Alex Rivas
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good book, enterntaining and a educational I would say.
Granted we will never know the truth behind the cover up on her death, if only the tapes that recorded what transpired the night before her death were available!!

Sensibly Sassy
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
1st book of 2011

This book was very fascinating. Not only does it go over the circumstances of marilyn's death but it goes into the history of her life. If you are interested in Marilyn Monroe at all I highly recommend this book.
Princess
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book!! I've never ever forgotten this book it's stayed with me ever since! If you want a good insight into Marilyn's death this is definitely the way to go!! Enjoyed it very much even though it's sad.. Touching information.

• Marilyn Monroe: Unseen Archives