Start by marking “Billionaire Democracy: The Hijacking of the American Political System” as Want to Read:
Billionaire Democracy: The Hijacking of the American Political System

Billionaire Democracy: The Hijacking of the American Political System

This isn’t your America. No matter who the president is.

We’re told that when we vote, when we elect representatives, we’re gaining a voice in government and the policies it implements. But if that’s true, why don’t American politics actually translate our preferences into higher-living standards for the majority of us?

The answer is that, in America, the wealthy few have bu
Published November 14th 2017 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Billionaire Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billionaire Democracy

Hazel Bright
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent compendium of reasons America has become a low-quality democracy, and what we can do to fix it. Very interesting discussion of what other, more truly democratic nations are doing to enhance their long-term economic growth. Codetermination, following German legislation to ensure that workers comprise half of the participants on boards of directors, has resulted in overall growth, increased profits, and additional jobs. Discusses corruption of media into propaganda outlets supporting ...more
Bookworm Between the Sheets
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Billionaire Democracy is filled with statistics, footnotes, and research quotes that back up George R. Tyler's points of views. I found the book to primarily discuss the demise of the Republican party and its agenda, but it also does at a fewer stance the Democratic Party as well. I wish this book had more opinion and less quotes and statistics driving his points across. The book to me came across more like a collegiate graduate paper and less of a nonfiction novel - in my opinion.

George R. Tyle
Melinda
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. Probably didn’t understand all of the concepts in here, but the author did a bang up job of trying to explain things to the layman. There was info about fake news, politics, economics, democracy, proportional representation....etc with examples from all sorts of countries to show comparisons between America and other higher level democracies (his term, not mine). Good stuff. Probably deserves a second reading to get more understanding.
Ray
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I learned a a lot from this book Turns out you don’t need to buy votes if you can control the news people watch and slant it in favor of your candidate. You don’t need to buy votes if you have the power ie the money to gerrymander districts. If you belong to the .1 percent that contributes 55 % of all campaign donations, you know that your voice is more powerful than most.
Citizens United said corporations could not be limited in their political contributions because as “ a person” they had first
James H.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book couldn't be more timely or more on target. Tyler dissects America's unresponsive democracy in which the popularity of government policies simply doesn't matter if moneyed interests don't want them. With thorough scholarship and comprehensive historical background, Tyler shows how our system of government no longer functions as a true democracy and how it got that way. The contrast with well functioning democracies in other countries is especially instructive.
Robert
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE USA IS THE 32nd BEST DEMOCRACY. SAD. NEED TO FIX THIS AND MADA!!
Mr. Book