Start by marking “Godblind (Godblind #1)” as Want to Read:
Godblind (Godblind #1)

Godblind

(The Godblind Trilogy #1)

The Mireces worship the bloodthirsty Red Gods. Exiled from Rilpor a thousand years ago, and left to suffer a harsh life in the cold mountains, a new Mireces king now plots an invasion of Rilpor’s thriving cities and fertile earth.

Dom Templeson is a Watcher, a civilian warrior guarding Rilpor’s border. He is also the most powerful seer in generations, plagued with visions a
Published June 20th 2017 by Talos

To ask other readers questions about Godblind, please sign up.
Michael Allen oh cool thx for that I tried to do a search for Anna Stephens -The Godblind trilogy and nothing came up, it would be good if ya could update that so…moreoh cool thx for that I tried to do a search for Anna Stephens -The Godblind trilogy and nothing came up, it would be good if ya could update that so others can find the series... keep up the good work..(less)

Melanie
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

ARC provided by Skyhorse Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

I do want to start this review by saying that this is a grimdark fantasy novel, which means that it has much darker and more brutal tones than regular fantasy. Many of the characters are morally grey, and do very ruthless, savage, and inhumane things. I personally do enjoy this type of fantasy, but I know this subgenre isn't for everyone. This all being said, there are a lot of trigger warnings for brutal violence, rape, attemp
Petrik
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
3.5/5 Stars

An enjoyable grimdark debut with one Mortal Kombat level of brutality scene.

This is one of those occasions where I truly hate Goodreads rating system, a 0.5 is a must have here. 3 stars are too low while 4 stars are too high so take the rounding down or up here with a grain of salt, I’m rating this book 3.5 stars, a great book with some cons but still very enjoyable.

Honestly, I’m in sorrow. This is not an easy book for me to review. I really wanted to love this book more especially af
James Lafayette  Tivendale
"The Red Gods Are Rising"

*Contains minor spoilers* I received a free advanced copy of G0dblind in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Anna Stephens and Harper Voyager. Please note, I have had to spell the book's title as G0dblind with a 0 otherwise GR's removes the word from my review for some reason.

To begin with, I must admit that after reading the excellent G0dblind I think I will be eternally afraid of betrayal and hammers.

The world of Gilgoras had an uneasy truce between King Ras
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I very much enjoyed this book. Well, some parts I had to gloss over because this is a Grimdark and has very cringe-worthy scenes. So this book is not for the faint of heart! Blood guts and torture!

I was thrilled to get this freaking awesome stained, signed and numbered edition of the hardback. I also got a lovely postcard sent from the author. Some authors are just so awesome ♥

There were several characters that I liked but damned if I didn't write down all of their names! Story of my life. I di
❄️Nani❄️
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
3.5 ⭐

4/12/17

*Sighs*

This is one of those books that I really wanted to love and went into with high hopes - unfortunately, it fell a little short. So, here goes...

--For the most part, I really enjoyed it and it was what I could’ve asked for in a Grimdark Fantasy. I would point out, however, that this is not for everyone. The themes and language presented and used are very adult. The narrative starts out with an attempted rape then dives into other dark and gritty scenes including a savagely viol
Petros Triantafyllou
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's this term we are using in the Grimdark Fiction Readers & Writers fb group, called "Grimdark AF". A term to identify the grimdarkest of grimdarks. As grimdark as it gets. GRIMDARK AS FUCK. I believe it deserves to be a sub-genre of Grimdark Fantasy, and Godblind may as well be the very first novel classified as such.

The Mireces were exiled from Rilpor almost a thousand years ago, and their Gods were imprisoned beyond reach. Being savages, outnumbered and outclassed, they didn't dare
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
I am conflicted about this book. On one hand, I enjoyed it, so this a solid three star rating. On the other hand, I felt like it went on too long if you weigh the content of the actual plot. There are multiple POVs, at least a dozen. The book ends without resolution (apparently it's going to be a trilogy). The entire book ended up being set up for the next book. I didn't feel there was enough "meat" to justify a higher rating. *shrug*

Many things happen, including build up to a religious war, rom
Tracey the Lizard Queen
Originally reviewed here: http://thequeenofblades.blogspot.co.u...

4.5 Stars

Move over Abercrombie and Lawrence! You too, Fletcher.

In the past it has been noted that there are almost no mainstream female GrimDark authors. Sure, there are those that write dark fantasy, and horror, and even stray into the morally grey area we love so much. But they tend to be slightly tamer than their male counterparts. I'm not sure why, maybe because they think 'females write only for females' rule applies? Well no
Kitvaria Sarene
This was bloody brilliant! Bloody both as gritty and as amount of awesomeness...

This is grimdark at is best! It is the closest thing I ever found to ASOIAF in tone and scope - it does read easier though. With Godblind I didn't feel like I would miss important stuff, if my attention waned for even just one second, and still it managed to be epic, have a lot of POVs and characters and an expanding world.

I loved the characters, and enjoyed following them and their growth throughout the books. They
Emma
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went in to this thinking it was YA (only the gods know why) but was aggressively disabused of the notion in the opening scene. Thankfully I like my fantasy as dark as it comes, but for anyone looking for a lighter read, this is not for you. At this point and all the way up to a scene about 1/4 of the way through that will make you wince (at the very least), I thought this would be an easy 5* read. Not only did it play with genre tropes, it fooled with narrative ones. So many moments went like ...more
Book Roast
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, fantasy, g-shelves
*DNF'ed at 50%, will speak more about it in the livestream :)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/07/09/...

Godblind is a book that would seem tailor made for my tastes in grimdark. It’s epic in scope, characters, and setting. There are multiple points of view. Plenty of action. Lots of gut-churning violence. I enjoyed this novel, I won’t lie. But it is also a debut, and it kind of shows. The writing is solid, but the plotting is predictable and scripted, as if the author placed certain elements into her story that she felt shou
Aentee
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be honest, 2 stars is being generous. I am so disappointed in this book after hearing all the hype surrounding it. Although I should have known when I saw two reviewers I trusted DNF this book.

• I enjoy multiple POVs, but only if they are distinctive characters with something to add to the story. In Godblind, the average chapter lasts about 3 pages, we never get to know any of the characters - and it all feels very messy and disjointed. Most of the male characters are barely distinguishable
Kaitlin
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for a review*

This book is a new release set to come out on the 15th of June in the UK and I wanted to read it just before so I could review it for then (which, yay, I managed!). I requested this when I heard it was a new Grimdark book written by a lady - something I've not really read before - and I haven't read any Grimdark in a fair while so it seemed like a perfect collision of circumstances.

This is the story of a world trying to forge
nat. (semi-hiatus)
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
❝the Red Gods are rising❞

I'm gonna need, like, ten shots of whiskey because this book fucked me up!

it was bloody epic!
Dyrk Ashton
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy FS is this book brutal. Anna Stephens out-brutals Abercrombie hands down. I've never read a book that made me squirm as much as this one, and I do love me some grimdark. And I mean all of that in the most loving manner, because this is another book that deserves the hype. Wonderfully written and extremely fast paced. The chapters are super short, moving from one character POV to the next, making it very difficult to stop reading.

I might say maybe they were too short for my taste, because I
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
For full review: http://bohomind.com/godblind-anna-ste...

Have you tried Biryani? Remember that spicy taste burning through your tongue, the aroma of that hot pot of biryani you could not refuse but it made you cry Ganga and Yamuna (Missipi-Missouri or Thames, or whatever river you swear by) as it burned your tongue? Or think Tex-Mex. Godblind, the brand new grimdark fantasy novel by debutant Anna Stephens, is equally addictive. It stirs your emotions, tugs at your heartstrings, throws you agains
Stefan Bach
Godblind is a story about Gods.
Those who are active in meddling with human lives and those who seem docile and reluctant to respond.
Of course, as per usual, active Gods demand from their worshipers heinous acts of atrocities as proof of their devotion, while those indifferent Gods choose deafness as reflection of their love for their followers.
And since evil Gods are undoubtedly clear in their intentions (which is world dominance) and proper way of devotion (which is through pain and suffe
Helen
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is grim, brutal and at times difficult to read yet, much to my surprise, it's the best fantasy novel I've read in a long time. Most of the fantasy books I come across nowadays are seriously lacking in originality or are too predictable, but this book restored my faith in this genre, and proves that it is still possible to come up with a semi-original story in an age when fantasy novels are being churned out by the dozen. I can definitely see this book being a hit among most readers of ...more
Peter McLean
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a hefty tome of a book, weighing in at nearly 500 pages in a large trade paperback-sized ARC. The final printed version will probably be usable as a hammer (I’ll come back to that…)

So, it’s a good long book. Well, ish. It’s actually a good long third-of-a-book. I have to say up front that this is the first of a trilogy, and it ends as such and therefore doesn’t completely stand alone on its own. Which is perfectly fine of course and no different to Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy, but I
Marielle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-own
Oh my god... This book is brutal, bloody and completely awesome!!! Will write a short review later on... but what I can say now... if you haven't read this (and you don't mind brutal) you seriously want to!!
Ella
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that didn't end on a positive note at all. I need the next book to find out what the fuck happened to everyone.
SJ Reads
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, high-fantasy
This was an amazing dark & gritty debut novel that left me wanting for more. It had dark vibes in the line of Game of Thrones with a war brewing. There were a few scenes that were over the top gruesome but besides that I really enjoyed this book. There were some amazing characters and villains & the plot line never lacked, all in all, I loved this and cannot wait for the sequel next year.

*** I WILL mention, that now that I've really stepped back and thought about it, there were a few sce
Rebecca
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was initially drawn in by the cover art for Godblind, but quickly found myself interested for many more reasons than that. The synopsis was intriguing and the prospect of a brand new female author publishing some serious grimdark work had me sold! Now the real question is whether or not it was as awesome as hoped…. Well it was pretty great.

Let me go ahead and warn you that Godblind is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. I’ve read piles of books featuring violence of all sorts, but a
Charlotte Crisp
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a book! Like Game of Thrones but much more brutal. Contains everything you could want in a fantasy novel; evil Gods, epic battles and a world on the brink of destruction. This is not a book you want to miss out on.
Don't be put off by the multi-character narrative either (although it does take a bit of getting used to). Brilliantly written and thoroughly gripping. I struggled to put it down.
Anna Stephens
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes this is my book. I know I'm biased. I'm giving the audio version 5 stars because the narrator was incredible and brought the story to life in ways I hadn't thought possible. I hope Maggie Ollerenshaw does my other books too.
Alicia Wanstall-Burke
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the pacing of this book. No fluffing around - straight into the action and kept it up for the whole narrative. Really refreshing and well done!
Nathan
Imagine if you will your favorite surprises or shocking moments from book or film. We don't learn who Soze really is until the film's final scene. Vader drops a parenting line at the end of the second outing. And more than one person got hooked on A Game of Thrones when the person being set up as the series protagonist gets the ax.

It actually isn't easy to pull of because for a surprise to be shocking there has to be some emotional involvement. Some build up is needed and the reader has to have
Rob Hayes
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Godblind is a grimdark-ish tale about the Red Gods trying to tear open the veil that separates their world from the human world. It mostly takes place in the nation of Rilporrin, which is a monarchistic kingdom who worship the gods of light. And the western borders with the Mireces, who worship the gods of blood. There's a bit of prophecy, some people who may or may not be gods in mortal form, and some brutal battles.

I found it to be a bit of an odd book to be honest. On the surface it's everyth
Leonie Byrne
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Godblind is the debut novel from Anna Stephens, published by Harper Voyager. It falls into the genre of Epic Fantasy and epic is the perfect way to describe it.

It has been centuries since the Red Gods and there bloodshed were exiled, their people the Mireces have fled into the mountains to worship in mostly silence with the odd raid of outlying villages to capture slaves. Their lives are ruthless, lived in long houses and dependant on the sacrifices demanded by The Blessed One, a priestess with
  • The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1)
  • The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #1)
  • Infernal
  • The Heart of Stone
  • The Traitor God
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Faithless
  • Art of War
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Wild Children
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • The Path of Anger (The Book and The Sword, #1)
  • Soul of the World (The Ascension Cycle, #1)
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • Super Job Search IV
Anna Stephens is a UK-based author of gritty epic fantasy. Her first two novels, Godblind and Darksoul, are published through Harper Voyager, with the final book in the trilogy, Bloodchild, coming in 2019. You can sign up to her newsletter here: https://anna-stephens.com/get-in-touch/

They say blood begets blood. In the country of Rilpor, if you spill enough of it, blood begets gods.

Anna has a BA

The Godblind Trilogy (3 books)
  • Darksoul (Godblind #2)