Start by marking “Thorns of the Past” as Want to Read:
Thorns of the Past

Thorns of the Past

Darcy Flynn, a former police officer in East Quay, works as a night guard and a private investigator. Framed for a bad shooting while on the force, she is set on finding out the truth about what happened.

Sabrina Hawk, a successful accountant with an impressive client list, still suffers the after-effects from an assault during her college years. Victim blaming on campus w
Published July 18th 2017 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Thorns of the Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorns of the Past

Diane Wallace
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Netgalley ARC provided by The Publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review'

In this story,Ms.Brooke writes with a raw and honest prose,capturing the agony,pain and hope,the resignation and defiance-felt in turns by both women(leads) especially the one being stalked. Interspersed throughout the narratives are heartbreaking and inspiring quotes from both women(leads) reflected on their past experiences and the struggles which they continue to face during their time together made this book/st
Lex Kent
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Brooke as an author. I always look forward to reading her books. While the story flowed well, and had a good pace, there were too many things I had issues with. Unfortunately, this was not any better than just okay in my eyes. Not as good as Brooke's other books.

After reading Pin's review, I realized this is the first time Brooke wrote a crime/mystery and romance book. It does show that she is newer to this genre. I thought the whole mystery/crime part started really well, it just d
Pin
Thorns of the Past is a romance cum mystery/thriller, which follows the budding romance between ex-cop Darcy (28) and owner of a small accounting firm Sabrina (35), along with solving mysteries from the past and present. Gun Brooke is very experienced as well as very good in writing contemporary romances -- one of my favorites authors in that genre. I think that this is her first attempt at combining romance with mystery/thriller, and it shows.
The romantic part is well done with both main charac
Jane Shambler
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are two main characters in this book. Firstly there is Sabrina. Ice queen really suits her. She is an excellent accountant who takes her life and work seriously and protects both. Then you have Darcy a disgraced ex police officer now into private investigations and security. They cross paths because Darcy is the security guard in Sabrina's office building.

Both women have had events in their pasts that have caused them a lot of grief. Sabrina was attacked at college and nobody believed her
Samantha Luce
Who would have a thought a term of endearment could break the spell (numerous times) and take me out of the story as I groaned and thought, Oh dear God, please tell me no one in their right mind seriously uses this term when they first fall in love with a person. Every time she referred to her lover as queen I seriously threw up a little.

The rest of the story is pretty good. The MC's have been through a lot and are both a bit scarred. The situation that brings them together is a good set up. Th
Rosi
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a romantic story starred by two very different kind of woman, both in terms of their upbringing and as their personality. The plot includes a well developed and sweet romance influenced in the begining by the traumatic events endured by the two women and that left them both scarred. In a somehow unbelievable way, their past is linked. But as if this could have been a bother to me, I have found it very endearing and have made me enjoy it even more. Really, Gun Brooke is becoming a very fa ...more
Pippa
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

Darcy Flynn works as a guard in a local business complex. An ex-police officer who left the force after a shooting incident, Darcy also works with her cousin who runs a private investigations agency.

A gorgeous and successful accountant who works in the building seems more stressed than normal. When there is a break in at her office, Sabrina Hawk relies on Darcy to look after her and to keep her safe. A history of victim-blaming by the cops and the realization that she is on her own wit
MJS
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC received from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This is a mystery/romance, but it needed more romance and less mystery. I enjoyed both characters, and their relationship stemming from being thrown together by necessity of the mystery made them getting together seem realistic. I could have done without all the 'my queen' stuff though.

I didn't enjoy the mystery (either of them) at all. And the coincidence of them being tied together was too much. The rationale for Sabrina's stalking w
Danni Mladenovic
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
*The copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Sabrina Hawk's past is back to haunt her, and not just in her dreams. There's a real danger of getting hurt, or even be killed! Fifteen years ago, there was a terrible misconduct of her case, where, instead of having been protected and the perps being convicted, the majority of people and the police ended up blaming her playing a victim to get the attention! Will Darcy Flynn, an ex-cop, now the private investigator and part time
Nolly  Sepulveda
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent!
☙ percy ❧
this was a nice f/f romantic suspense/mystery, but i thought that the plot wasn't tight enough. there were a lot of coincidences, and a lot of things that seemed rather improbable. there wasn't also anything particularly surprising about it, although i did enjoy the tension when the stakes were raised near the end.

the romance was very sweet, lots of chemistry between them (and a smidgen of conflict, just like i like it;D)

there was also some commentary on rape culture (esp. on college campuses)
angie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always consider a new Gun Brooke novel a lovely treat to read and will often put off reading it so I do not have wait long for the next new one. Thorns of the Past is good and I like the characters a lot, especially Sabrina, but as I was reading I just felt like things take an almost absurd twist during the last third of the book and that this takes away from the realism and importance and seriousness of what happened to Sabrina in the past. There are also a few major changes in certain charac ...more
Catherine
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
For me this book was good, I was pulled into the story in trying to identify who was stalking Sabrina. Darcy was a likable character that I found myself rooting for throughout the book.

The connection between two characters for me wasn't 100% there. I just can't tell you how the two ended up together apart for the fact that they found each other attractive and were thrown together due to circumstances.

In the end all wrapped up well with a very happy ending, almost everything was too perfect of a
Kennedy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I think of college campuses today, this is one hot topic. The concept of victim blaming though not as automatic today, it is still an issue. This read has angst for both main characters which makes you disappointed in the individuals in authority and a cheer leader for Darcy Flynn and Sabrina Hawk. Enjoy is a difficult word for me to say after this read because there was so much, people being wronged, however, it was informative and a reminder that this issue continues to be an issue.

Read
Dee
This is the first book I've read by this author and there's no denying she's a skilled writer. The characters are three-dimensional, and the slow burn of their budding romance is believable. I enjoyed the story because of that.

Enjoyed being the keyword, as I neither loved nor hated this story. I can't put my finger on why but time and time again I became bored and had to resist the urge to skim read huge sections of the plot.

The epilogue went some way toward redeeming what could've been a lack
Loek Krancher
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping romantic thriller!

After a traumatic experience, they have problems with expressing their feelings and maintaining a relationship is hard for them. Also it’s hard to trust when all you have from the past is evidence of why you shouldn’t. Both pasts come together in a shocking revelation. Their struggle and resilience was very moving. You can feel all the emotions, the pain, the fear, the doubt but also the passion and love. Everything felt real. A story full of action and a very intrig
Alicia
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one.
Katherine Jensen
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was just okay for me. I enjoyed about the first half of the book but then it went downhill. For me, the mystery and also the romance between the two mains was not very believable. Too easily wrapped up as well.

ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Jade
Jul 04, 2017 added it
*ARC provided by Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review*

Gun Brooke is a brilliant author and I generally enjoy reading her books because she has a knack for writing romance storylines with complex characters that work well together.

In this book the author has unfortunately not excelled and this is purely because I did not believe any of the mystery/thriller story that she tried to create.

I think that the romance part of the book suffered a bit as well due to the fact that the author t
Emma
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
First I am a big fan of Gun Brooke.

In this book she has two different characters, Darcy (former police officer, now PI) and Sabrina (owner of an accounting firm). Darcy and Sabrina have good chemistry, but I will share that the mystery part had really good parts, but one or two might be layered a little differently. I don't want to give those away, but it regards Sabrina's friends and family.

I enjoy the honest emotion between the two characters. I feel the drive back from Sabrina's brother's w
Penelope
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
An honest review thanks to NetGalley. I like Gun Brooke, and this was no exception. This was a good read full of intrigue; both main characters are fighting a difficult past. As they fight there way through both, do get resolved. This is a great quick read, and the quality is great just like Brooke, enjoy.
Andrea
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
*The copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed this book and the writing style. It was written in a great pace and the mystery/thriller themes were intertwined with the romance part in a great way. I, personally, enjoyed the mystery/ thriller part more it was what kept me hooked on the book. All the characters were believable and the main characters were very likable and the chemistry between them worked. Their romance was rather slow, so it made it more reali
Leslie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Night guard and a private investigator, Darcy Flynn leads a pretty quiet, albeit busy life. Forced off the police department after a shooting a few years ago, she spends her days investigating infidelities and her nights guarding a professional building, where the beautiful, straight laced Sabrina Hawk works. She may be cold, but Darcy can’t help being attracted to the sexy accountant. Sabrina is still suffering the after effect of an attack years ago, and when history rears its ugly head, Darcy ...more
Gail
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I rec'd an ARC from NetGalley/Bold Strokes Books in exchange for an honest review. No synopsis needed. A romance/thriller with angst and intrigue and main characters Darcy (ex cop turned P.I./security guard) and Sabrina (accountant). As usual Ms. Brooke did not disappoint in the romance dept., however, the thriller part was not as smooth as I anticipated with the ending just a little too "pat". I'm a big fan of Ms. Brooke's so I'm treating this as a hiccup and look forward to more romance/thrill ...more
ISA SIMONET
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian
Great romance, intriguing plot. the 2 characters are endearing. A very beautiful romance to read without waiting !!
Paul
Jul 09, 2017
Lenni A.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
*This book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review and is rated 18+

Former police detective turned private investigator and security guard Darch Flynn is hired to protect Sabrina Hawk, an accountant who has a starker demanding information from her and threatening her. A past assault has left Sabrina with a poor opinion of law enforcement and Darcy has to hide the fact she left the force in disgrace all while Sabrina's stalkers close in on them.

This book wasn't bad. The romance between Dar
Laura Ladd
Aug 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Gun Brooke resides in the countryside in Sweden with her very patient family. A retired neonatal intensive care nurse, she now writes full time, only rarely taking a break to create web sites for herself or others and to do computer graphics. Gun writes both romances and sci-fi. She is the recipient of the 2009 Alice B. Medal for "body of work."