Start by marking “Darkness Within” as Want to Read:
Darkness Within

Darkness Within

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  87 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
The moment it happens, everything in me changes.

Imagine somebody was able to fit inside of your body. Their arms are the same length as yours. You’re both the same height. Everything is exactly the same. Now imagine that person not being a person at all. That thing inside of you is a shadow. Darkness. A silhouette of you, only living on the inside of your body. It doesn’t
Paperback
Published December 5th 2016 by Isabel Lucero (first published November 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Within

warhawke
Dec 13, 2016 warhawke rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dark lover
Genre: Dark Erotic Thriller
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

Every single day Donovan James battled with the darkness that threatened to consume him. Days of him being helpless long gone. It's time for him to have his vengeance against those who wronged him.

Analeigh (Leigh) wasn't looking for a relationship. But Donovan intrigued her with his mysterious persona. She was determined to peel into his past but risked digging too deep where she shouldn't.

“What I allow you to see an
Fathima
Dec 13, 2016 Fathima rated it liked it
I felt like it ended just when it was beginning .. really liked some of the twists that I did not see coming . Just wished that we had more of how the book ended .
Eye Candy Bookstore
Nov 03, 2016 Eye Candy Bookstore rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to sit down and read a book from start to finish without interruption, new baby in the house and all, but once I started Darkness Within, I could not put it down. Now, I do like my books a little on the darker side and with this one, Isabel nailed it right on the head. It was just the right amount of darkness to go along with some hot, sinful, sex and lots of mysterious twists and turns.

If you don’t know, I have been a huge fan of Isabel Lucero right
Laura- BookBistroBlog
Nov 30, 2016 Laura- BookBistroBlog rated it really liked it
I was super excited to hear that Isabel Lucero was writing a dark thriller!! I dove into this book on release day.
Donovan is a man who is seeking revenge on any and all who turned his life into darkness. Growing up in unfavorable foster homes where anything and everything bad that can happen, happened to him. Now as an adult, he is going after all who did him wrong.
Never feeling comfortable enough to have friends or a girl friend, Donovan has found friendship in a coworker Nick. The only frien
Kia Bunby
Nov 26, 2016 Kia Bunby rated it really liked it
I received an ARC for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I do love a good dark book and this didn't disappoint. A story that gets you thinking, although I did have a good notion for who was doing what! that being said, it didn't put me off. This also had a good ending.
Lindsay Thompson-Sublett
Nov 18, 2016 Lindsay Thompson-Sublett rated it it was amazing
Man...Isabel NEVER disappoints and once again, she has nailed this story. I think what amazes me the most is she has proven she can write different kinds of romance. I highly recommend ANY books by her. With that said, onto the review of the book.

This book is on the darker side but not so dark that you question yourself as a human because you are reading something so morbid and enjoying it. It was dark in the form that someone has been through so much pain and suffering that darkness is their on
Lindsey King
Nov 21, 2016 Lindsey King rated it it was amazing
Angst 4

Tears 0

Storyline 5

Value 5

Panty Schorching 4.5

Overall Rating 5

Awwwwwww hell! I'm seriously setting here wondering what the fuck I just read. It was without a doubt hot in true Isabel fashion. Twisted? Oh hell yes. Dark? Yep. Delicious? Mmmhmm. All of that dark twisted goodness couldn't keep me away from this book. Holy hell it was amazing! Isabel I want to live in your mind...  it's my kind of fucked up. And you live where it's warm... BONUS!

Okay...  back to this book. Hot damn! The twist
Kizzy
Nov 27, 2016 Kizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! That's all I can say after reading this book.

When I found out that Isabel was writing this type of book, I was so excited to see what she would do. Let me tell you, she did NOT disappoint! I haven't read a lot of dark books, but from the first chapter, I was hooked.

Donovan...oh my! He is so dark and twisted, yet sexy as hell at the same time :) We find out why he is the way he is and what causes that darkness within him. You do not want to get on his bad side, that's for sure. He meets A
Jan
The monster and I are friends....

He's let's me live my life as Donovan James for many years, being ok with only coming to the surface from time to time however I enjoy the time he gets to play.

Darkness within is a dark read with twist and turns told in Donovan's pov, he's a serial killer with a purpose but his list keeps growing.

Donovan has an abused childhood, and a list he intends to complete.

Darkness Within has its hot moments but it's not a romance like I normally read it focuses more on
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡
Dec 08, 2016 ♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10-kindle, 14-arc

Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero was quite different from what I expected it to be when I read the Blurb. I guess Darkness can be interpreted in different ways and somehow my mind was set on a another way to interpret it.

So I am not really sure what to think... I liked the writing style of this author but I was never sure if it was intentional that the male lead felt so detached from what he was doing. It never felt like revenge but more like cold calculation and considering the backgrounds and
Give Me Books
Dec 06, 2016 Give Me Books rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for this novel, I just HAD to read it. I wasn't sure what I was in store for but I knew that Isabel Lucero would blow my mind. Boy was this novel amazing. It was dark, gritty, violent and sexy as hell. It wasn't a hearts and flowers type of novel. There is romance yes, but it isn't a prevalent theme throughout the story. The novel predominantly deals with the heartbreaking and disturbing past of Donovan James and the modern day "darkness" and pain that resides in him as a r ...more
♚Julia ~ The Romance Rebels ♚
Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero is dark, twisted, and hot with a capital T! This is not a love story, but rather of vengeance and retribution.

Donovan James is tall, dark, and sexy. He is a dangerous man, one you don't want on your bad side! His past has haunt him, the beast inside him wants blood for what he had to go through as a child. And he will have it!

What he doesn't expect is meeting this girl that brings him to his knees.

I really enjoyed this book. Huge twists I did not see coming. I
Kaycee
Dec 02, 2016 Kaycee rated it it was amazing
WOW...Isabel...WOW!!! This is the first book that I have read by Isabel Lucero and she did not disappoint in any way, shape or form. This story has everything that I was looking for to keep me wanting more. It had suspense, drama, a dark side but not to dark, and a hot male lead!! I want more of Donovan!! I really hope there is a second book in the future so we can see what happens to Donovan. Great job Isabel!! I would highly recommend this book to everyone!!
Maureen Nicholson
4 Stars

Don't go into reading this thinking that there's any kind of romance or love story. This is told entirely from Donovan's POV and what a dark ride it was. To be in the mind of a person seeking vengeance through murder of all that participated in creating a horrific childhood for him, this was gritty and dark with twists that will keep you completely engrossed in the story. Hats off to Ms. Lucero for another awesome read!
Maria Angie Mendoza
Nov 28, 2016 Maria Angie Mendoza rated it really liked it
Dark, intense, and devilishly hot! I was sucked right in by this action packed, thrilling roller coaster ride.
I loved the premise of the story, the unexpected twists and turns and the main character Donovan.
His demons and his past make him who he is and what he does makes you affirm the saying "Don't get mad, get even".

Amy Davies
Dec 01, 2016 Amy Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!!

This is the first book I have read by this author and it won't be the last.
This book was deep, dark and intense. You are gripped from the beginning. The story never let's you go. I loved the twists and turns in Donovan's journey. The deep dark feeling he keeps locked up, unless he is doing what he does best. Sex and murder.
Adeline Devol
Jan 24, 2017 Adeline Devol rated it it was amazing
Donovan is not your typical hero! He has alot of Darkness in him. That being said you cant help but feel for him! I loved how this book sucked me in from the first paragraph and did not let me go till the very end. Fans of dark romances will love this one! Totally a winner for me
Isabel Lucero
Nov 01, 2016 Isabel Lucero rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
* A review copy was provided by the author for the Blog Tour *

~ 5 Messed Up Stars ~

I am giving this book 5 stars because I absolutely loved it, but I am not so sure that I should. Given the subject matter. This is a dark and gritty story, that is graphic but not to the point of making the readers squeamish, but definitely gets it’s point across.

If dark reads aren’t your thing, then I would highly suggest passing this book over. Now even though I said this book is dark, and it is, it’s not as
Denise Van plew
Dec 09, 2016 Denise Van plew rated it it was amazing
This is the first time in reading this author for me. It was the storyline that drew me with the appeal being it seemed a bit different than your average character bad boy. As soon as I opened the pages and started on this journey into this one I knew this was going to be like not many I have read before. Since I do read paranormal and the like I do encounter darkness in novels but this one right away is another level. The intensity is not skimped in here with the rawness will cause you jaw to d ...more
Ann Walker
Nov 21, 2016 Ann Walker rated it it was amazing
I have to say wow… I loved this book!!! I thought that it was extremely well written and the story had so many twists to it which I absolutely love in a book. I couldn’t predict the storyline at all which created angst in many parts, again something I love. I just wanted to be locked away in a room and to not be disturbed until I had finished reading the book. I don’t normally read books that are on the darker side but this book had me hooked from the very first page and even though Donovan (the ...more
Helen Simpson
Dec 07, 2016 Helen Simpson rated it really liked it
A HIGH INTENSE BOOK THAT KEEPS YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT. A DARKNESS WITHIN WAS A DIFFERENT READ THAN AM USED TO AND I LOVED IT. THE CONSTANT LITTLE TWISTS AND CHANGES SLOW AND FAST PACED STORYLINE. LOVED THE ENDING AND ESPECIALLY WHO HE MEETS UPS WITH CAN'T WAIT TO START THE NEXT LIST WITH THEM BOTH.
Karen Atkinson
Jan 26, 2017 Karen Atkinson rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author and I loved it. I could not put it down and will definitely be reading her other books.
Tena
Mar 18, 2017 Tena rated it liked it
Shelves: goodread-wins
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway - Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero was hot & heavy, dark & yummy!
Michelle Trzecinski
Nov 27, 2016 Michelle Trzecinski rated it really liked it
I jumped on Isabel’s bandwagon after signing of up for the blog tour of her previous release, Think Again. After reading her disclaimer about this being darker than her previous material, I eagerly signed my happy-ass up! I’m so thankful I did because I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! This thriller delivered quite the ride; with bouts of mystery, romance, and suspense incorporated at the right moments.

Darkness Within is written from our main character’s POV. On the outs
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
"I'm no longer concerned with keeping the darkness trapped in a cage that hides deep within my soul. I am the darkness. It's just a flip of the switch. Lights out."

Nature or nurture, are we the result of our genetics or our upbringing? Donovan James doesn't really know where he comes from but he knows the monster that lives within his skin was born from the suffering he has endured. Passed from one bad situation to a worse one until he managed to break free, he hides the monster under his everyd
Books 2 Blog
Dec 16, 2016 Books 2 Blog rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Wow! Okay, so this book was not quite what I expected. This is definitely more of a dark novel with minimal romance, and it works because, Donovan doesn't quite have all the emotions you'd want for a passionate romance. That or maybe he just hasn't met the right person to understand him and his darkness. There were it's hot fiery scenes, but if you're looking for lots of romance within a darker book, then this won't have what you're looking for.

So you meet Donovan and he's most definitel
LaShanta Charles
Dec 06, 2016 LaShanta Charles rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I found myself wondering how a writer could make a murder seem so nonchalant. How could such a gruesome thing seem so . . . not gruesome? And, of course, why I like it?

At first I couldn't decide if I liked Donovan or not. Why was he so mean and standoffish? Why did he give Miguel such a hard time? Why did he only have one friend? As the author developed his character, I came to like him. I understood why he was such a loner and why he didn't trust people. He had been le
Heather Packer
Dec 01, 2016 Heather Packer rated it it was amazing
Okay so you know I've talked about this book too much when your phone automatically completes the title and author for you haha
I have to admit that this was my first Isabel Lucero book, I have others downloaded waiting to be reading but this story is my first. It's safe to say it won't be my last!
I started it this morning ... somewhere around 6.30am and I'd finished by 5pm. I've literally read this all day, my poor kids have had a rubbish day I've been so distracted in this amazing story!
Donova
Rachel
~Darkness. A silhouette of you, only living on the inside. It doesn't have a conscience. It doesn't have a heart.

Oh my goodness...I've always loved Isabel Lucero's writing, but this...this dark and dangerous and oh so sexy Darkness Within was fantastic!
Donovan James is a man most of us would love to meet in a dark alleyway..tall, tatted, sexy...and then once we could see into his eyes, you'd see the flat, humorless orbs and wonder just how dangerous he is. How long can his mask last...
~We all ha
« previous 1 3 next »
Isabel Lucero is a multi-genre bestselling author, finding joy in giving readers books for every mood.
She was born in a small town in New Mexico and was lucky enough to escape and travel the world thanks to her husband's career in the Air Force.
She's been married for thirteen years to the love of her life and Jr. High School sweetheart. Together they have two of the best and most beautiful kids
More about Isabel Lucero...