Start by marking “People's Republic” as Want to Read:
People's Republic

People's Republic

(Kelly Turnbull #1)

America’s growing political and cultural divisions have finally split the United States apart. Now, as the former blue states begin to collapse under the dead weight of their politically correct tyranny, a lethal operative haunted by his violent past undertakes one last mission to infiltrate and take out his target in the nightmarish city of Los Angeles, deep in the heart ...more
Published September 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about People's Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People's Republic

Charles
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
“People’s Republic” is part satire, part warning and part what I would call “conservative military revenge fantasy.” It’s a well-written, gripping read (like everything Schlichter writes). And the combination is successful, if the goal is to hold the reader’s interest and offer a frisson of conservative thrills.

But is it realistic? Does it accurately predict the possibility and depict the likely result of a negotiated split of the United States, and the subsequent trajectories of the two success
Douglas Wilson
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A lot of action in this one, bullet holes everywhere. The thing that makes the book worthwhile is that Schlichter inverts the normal dystopic pattern. Here the tyrants are tyrants, but they are also incompetent, and are economic imbeciles. The background of the novel is the break up of the United States into "red" and "blue" sections a few decades hence, and take it from there.
Christian D.  Orr
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action-adevnture fans, lovers of freedom
Recommended to Christian by: Christopher Blunt

The anti-Constitutionalist blue states have broken away from the USA (labeled "The Split") and become a socialist dictatorship--very reminiscent of George Orwell's "1984," except unlike with Big Brother and the Thought Police, this novel has good guys who actually fight back, and effectively to boot!. Xe" for "non-binary genders." Highways and government buildings named for the likes of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Boxer, and Bernie Sanders. Fucla, er, UCLA and Westwood exposed for the
Ed
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid thriller about a rescue attempt of a young woman trapped inside the Socialist "paradise" of California after the second Civil War splits the United States by Red and Blue states. Very interesting peek into what a disturbingly bleak future reality might look like in a fictional Northeast / West Coast country.
Curby Graham
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read and a quick one. Kurt Schlichter envisions a future where the US has broken up into two countries. The new USA composed of the "Red States" with Texas as the Capitol and the People's Republic composed of the East and West Coast along with the Northern Rust Belt states. One is a free market, pro-gun, pro-God nation and the other a socialist "utopia" where all hate speech is outlawed and the government controls everything. No spoilers but it is well worth the cost.
Richard
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got a kick out of this book. A "what-if" set slightly in the future where the U.S. splits due to the ever-increasing inability of the Right and Left to have any kind of civil discourse. The People's Republic is laughably believable given how far off the rails some far-left wing zealots go. Of course, I think the same could be said of the far far right as well, but this book wasn't about that.
Héctor Espinosa
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun.
John
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
Good premise, but the book fell short as a thriller. The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is thin, lacking both drama and suspense, with all conflicts resolved by bullets.
Lt. Briley
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Non-PC Entertainment..., & Education

I enjoyed this book, since having a twisted sense of humor is required for a former paratrooper, Top Team sniper, drill sergeant, and currently a Registered Nurse with 24 years in an Emergency Department. Read, absorb, and know that this book might present the best possible outcome for freedom loving Americans. I hope not, because almost any other outcome for liberals will likely be worse.
SAnderson
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad little story for agitprop

At first I thought the story was a fantasy intended as a warning but by the end of the book I decided the author sees it as more of a hoped for dream than a harbinger the apocalypse. Still, a good enough dystopian "after the fall" story that should give folks in both sides of the red/blue divide pause.
Cole Brandon
Schlichter's conservative bias is expressed without much creativity through corny characters and dead dialogue. This idea of the US splitting into red and blue states is brilliant, if only another fiction writer had come up with it first. This said, there is some witty humor, and the action isn't half bad.
Svolos
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh man, so good it's probably illegal

Loved the story. Interesting characters and great world set up. It looks like I need ten more words. 'Nuff said.
Jeff Jackson
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read

Perhaps a little heavy handed at times poking fun at the left, but the book gave me a fun few hours.
Bryan Bridges
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The action was always there. Unfortunately, zero character development, minimal redemption, and at several times, the inability to suspend disbelief.
Dean
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Prescient

Will drive liberals nuts but it describes a world that we are on a path to seeing if things don't change.
Carlton
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate Kurt's clarity and wit.
Rex Libris
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While primarily an action story, the background of People's Republic can serve as a modern day 1984. Before the story begins, the United States has split into two countries along the so-called Red and Blue political lines. The blue states become the People's Republic, and turns into Chicago writ large. The privileged class lives safely behind walls, insulated from the consequences of their political and economic decisions, while the other areas become a violent landscape dominated by poverty and ...more
dennis miles
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing look at a possible future

What got me to read this book were the reviews. Not the (92%) positive ones, the top negative one. It said: "this could never happen, they would just order those military to take all the guns and kill everyone. Those robots just follow orders."

Yeah, call Ft Bragg and tell them to disarm Texas because felony clinton said so. See how that works out.

Living in the puget sound, it is amazing how the author gave the local marxists what they wanted, "pacifica." These
Bill McCormick
Light on character development-even lighter on proof reading.

All the generally positive reviews of this book made me want to read it and overall it was a good read. However, as others have mentioned, the character development was little lacking and the proof reading was atrocious. Also, even though this is styled as satire, I think a lot of the juxtaposing of the Red and Blue ways of life was just a bit too satirical. On this one aspect, perhaps less would have been more. Regardless, the fast pa
Charles E. Rittenburg
Insightful Look at Logical Future of Progressivism

This book is very well constructed and very well written. In the form of an exciting novel, it is also an insightful and well-informed analysis of the inevitable arc of today's Progressive movement. It's a real page-turner, which I couldn't out down until I'd read it all the way through. As a former US Army intelligence officer and counter-terrorism specialist, I especially appreciated the accuracy of the author's depictions of a Communist-model
Robi Sen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
suprisingly good

I read this on the suggestion of a few friends. Im not a fan of Kurt's political writing and commentry. I assumed this book would turn me off but again tried it in part to appease amy friends. Within a few pages I found myself laughing and really getting into the book. While its a polemic for Schlichters politics it is a good reflection of how places like Venezuela went from wealthy countries to Kleptocracies so fast.
I finished the book quickly and plan to buy the next.
Timothy Olson
I'm a big fan of alternate history/near future books. The key to the genre is credulity: can I really see the outcome in the book from the realities at the time of the fiction split.

This book utterly fails in that. Although I myself am rather conservative, I found the caricature of the "Blues"--a clear stand in for Democrats, utterly unbelievable. It is what the most angry and terrified elements of the right have as a nightmare, not what the United States has as a reality. Another reviewer accur
Joseph Raborg
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Dystopian Thriller

This is a fun book for conservatives read. I don't know whether a liberal might read it, unless he actually wants to learn what conservatives think of his ideology and the people profiting off of it. This book is not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but I can guarantee a fun time with plenty of action to readers on the right side of the political spectrum.
Richard Caniglia
Average with a couple of good spots

Lots of Clancy-like adventure, just not quite as good. Predictable. Too much political analysis. This isn’t Hannity or Levine. It’s supposed to be a novel and while motivations and context are important, to much is tedious.

Still, the writing style is good. The action scenes are more realistic than most writers. Not a waste of time, but not enough to make me go for two.
william jeffrey gordinier
Just a bit cookie cutter smug. But a good read.

Liked the the book over all, but simplistic and the faults of the liberals are over done. If you were a liberal you screamed and threw the book as hard as you could. If not, you already knew what a failure the democrats would create when in power, so he needs to lighten up. Good action, but I'm not sure he knows a foot from a meter... I'll keep reading his work...
Shane Hawk
Stars are mostly for the cultural and political satire as the writing is somewhat basic. I laughed aloud many a time throughout this one. While I mostly despise Conservatives I have to say this right-wing dystopian thriller was hilarious and engaging. The political commentary was acerbic, yet satisfying.
Jamil
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and scary read

If anything in this book beggars belief, I implore you to read about what’s going on with the Left. It’s puts it all into perspective. It was eerie, but hopefully not prescient. Very well written. Clear prose and solid, rapid pacing.
Corey Bourne
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The future if the left have their way.

Great book lots of action to go with plenty of political commentary. If California continues on its present path I see this book as a possible future. Hope to see more books in the future.
Joseph Garza
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What could happen if good men do nothing

Great read! Timely and maybe too prophetic...something to avoid. The tree of liberty needs occasional watering of patriots' blood to grow! Great story and characters! I aim to download the other novel, after I empty my Shiner Bock.
Captelaine
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Page turner couldn't put it down

The people's republic socialist utopia isn't quite as fabulous as some would imagine. A spy, a woman, guns, corrupt police..its an exciting read from start to finish.
Kurt Schlichter is a trial lawyer, and a retired Army infantry colonel with a degree from the Army War College who writes twice a week as a Senior Columnist for Townhall.com. His new novel "People's Republic" is now available!

Kurt was personally recruited by Andrew Breitbart in 2009 to write for Big Hollywood. He is often on the air as a news source, an on-screen commentator, and as a guest on nat

Kelly Turnbull (3 books)
  • Indian Country
  • Wildfire (Kelly Turnbull, #3)
“You don’t mess with a man’s weapons in the USA. That’s how fistfights and civil wars start. He” 0 likes
“the voice of the television announcer warned that the climate change crisis was once again just a year away from reaching the point of no return, and urged the largely pedestrian citizenry to continue to reduce their collective carbon footprint. But” 0 likes