Start by marking “Productivity for Creative People: How to Get Creative Work Done in an "Always on" World” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
"Of all the writers I know, I have learned the most about how to be a productive creative person from Mark. His tips are always realistic, accessible, and sticky. It's not just talk, this is productivity advice that will change your life."

Jocelyn K. Glei, author and Founding Editor, 99U

We are living in an age of unprecedented creative stimulation--via the internet, social
Published September 14th 2016 by Lateral Action books

To ask other readers questions about Productivity for Creative People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Productivity for Creative People

Carles Caño
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Un libro muy accionable para mejorar la productividad de personas creativas y de trabajadores del conocimiento.

El objetivo del autor es el de ayudarte a encontrar el método en tus hábitos de trabajo y a desarrollar una rutina creativa y un ritmo de trabajo en tu día a día.

Es un libro que contiene veinte capítulos y puedes accionar progresivamente lo que te convenga. Así como GTD es un monstruo que si no lo aplicas de golpe, no da buenos resultados, aquí puedes ir probando y valorando el resultad
Alexandria Blaelock
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers trying to make time to write
I want to say this book is just common sense, but it can't be that common if I got so much out of it.

The most useful tips for me:
* the breakdown of work tasks (ongoing, events, backlog, and asset building), along with the "permission" to drop everything now and again to focus on getting stuff done.
* acknowledging different types of day, and the benefit of developing different kinds of template for those kind of days.
* after lunch naps are better than being tired and losing focus on your work.

Som
Emma Sea
3.5 stars. Some useful ideas.
Kathleen Jennings
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very practical, with tips and attitudes I'm usefully trying out. This book was free, but I'm spending money on the next.
Gabriel
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a fan of Mark’s work since discovering his fantastic blog Lateral Action. His application of productivity techniques in the creative space were mind-blowing and made me rethink how I approached my work. Mark’s 3rd book, Productivity for Creative People, is a continuation of the stellar advice he’s been sharing for years and an invaluable handbook on how to increase one’s creative output without stymieing the muse.

You can read it all the way through, but I would recommend analyzing the
Jennifer Louden
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great overview for beginners in the creative practice. Love Mark's clear writing and obvious love for his work and clients
Kate M. Colby
A brief, yet still detailed, book, packed with strategies and actionable advice that creative professionals can use to organize their work, maximize creation time, and reduce distractions. While some of it I had heard before, it was repacked in a fresh and concise manner.

This is definitely a book for creatives who are professionals or desire to be so. Due to the author's own career, I felt like it was slightly skewed toward writers and full-time entrepreneurs, but other creatives will still bene
Rhys Morgan
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great actionable stuff.

I don't consider myself particularly creative but this is brilliant. Much less intimidating than the David Allen books. Brilliant actionable tips on using a calendar and to do lists. I will be rereading this book often. Thank you Mark
A.M.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
This is one of those titles that I keep forgetting isn’t in my phone kindle app because I downloaded it direct from the author. [one day I will work out how to transfer files, but not today]
I was supposed to sleep in today but my brain can’t tell the difference between Sunday and any other day because I work from home and it all blurs together. Mark has a solution for that.
Another chapter heading is ‘Panic Early’.
Lmao
***
So there’s no such thing as multitasking— just task switching, or at best ba
Clare Walker
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am an independent author of fiction and non-fiction, and I found this book extremely helpful in learning how to find balance. Chapter 3 ("Reduce Overload") was the most practical and actionable section for me. In this chapter, Mark encourages you to organize all your various tasks into four types: 1: ongoing work (repeating stuff and stuff you do every day. Admin-type stuff usually ends up in this category), 2: special events (one-time things that need a lot of preparation ahead of time), 3: b ...more
C.A. Edwards
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't dislike a book that I agree with. In fact, it would seem that I am already a very productive person and my concerns about taking in a little downtime while working on a project were nicely retitled in the book as "incubating".

If you are a creative-type who already knows the basics, you may be looking for something to take you to the next level in your productivity, but if you are looking for some tools to help you get out of a chaotic, disorganized, and seemingly overwhelming current st
Miguel Ángel Alonso Pulido
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: no-ficcion
La mejor forma de describir este libro es como una pequeña joya para gente creativa. Todos los que creamos sabemos lo complicado y difícil que es dedicarnos a nuestra pasión en el ajetreo de nuestra vida diaria y Mark McGuinness nos cuenta en este libro, corto y al grano, varios trucos y consejos para organizarnos mejor y ser más productivos. Todo lo que hay aquí es puro sentido común y un poco de experiencia, pero es que no necesitas más que eso para poder mejorar. Este libro puede ser el empuj ...more
Theodore Ashford
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really great advice. While some of the tips and tricks in McGuinness' books touch on common ideas, he has a way of spinning it in a new light or showing the validity to the common advice. He's also very good at point out when common advice simply doesn't work and what an artist should be pursuing instead.
Kim
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
If you have a productivity book addiction, as I do, this book won’t really add much to your stockpile of ways to stop procrastinating. If your are a creative, and haven’t read a lot of these books it may be just the book you need to start your addiction.
Ahmad Moshrif
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick nice read for the people who are seeking for valuable tips in freelancing and artistic work.
Alison Clifford
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy to read and understand book with loads of helpful tips and ideas. A good book for anyone needing help with productivity.
Sam
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great short book on how to harness your creative mind and become more productive and happier by being creative in a controlled way.
Leslie Patrick
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful tips. Recommended!
Hannah Braime
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
People who do creative work for a living are often faced with a dilemma: how to carve out time for their most important work while dealing with all of the necessary but distracting activities that come with modern business. Mark's book is a short, practical guide to reclaiming control over our minds and our days so we can do more in the creative realm while tending to things like email, social media and other common distractions. He also covers the perennial issues of resistance and procrastinat ...more
Travis Chapman
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first Mark McGuinness book, and I presume his earlier works in the series are equally value-added. I've spent a good amount of effort reading productivity works over the years, so there were few things in his book that were earth-shattering and new, but it was an excellent look at 1) how one person puts it all together, and 2) a good chance to review my own systems through the framework he presents. I've recommended this to several friends who want to establish themselves as authors, ...more
Anne Janzer
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
As a writer, I'm always looking for ways to fine tune my process. This book is a worthy addition to my arsenal!

McGuinness offers practical strategies for protecting creative time, such as putting "hard edges" in your schedules, and being smarter about picking up the smart phone. I particularly loved his differentiation between incubation and procrastination - procrastination happens before the hard work, and incubation after.

I've come away with new strategies to apply to my life: managing to-do
Colin Marks
I suspect Mark McGuinness and Steven Pressfield are good friends. I discovered this free ebook from a link on Steven's site, and Mark frequently references Steven's acclaimed The War of Art in this book. Still, since you're judged by your associates, this doesn't harm either of them - both are talented and knowledgeable in the field of creativity.

This book is a quick read, a taster for Mark's other publications and websites, but crammed with useful suggestions on managing your time to focus on t
Laurie Evans
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Easy-to-read book with practical ideas on productivity for creatives. I'm a writer, and struggle daily with distractions. I like Mark's idea to only work on one day's worth of email at a time. I've also set a schedule for writing part of the day, and answering emails and other work at another point in the day. I'm also writing first, to make sure I make the best use of my creative energy.

It's a work in progress, but things have already gotten a bit better since using some of the ideas in this bo
Travis Chapman
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actionable advice

I'm a part-time creative, but even my day job has creative aspects. Mark provides actionable advice for staying on track with your projects and activities, as well as the bases behind those recommendations. Even the points I'd heard before were explained in a different way or from a different perspective that I found valuable. Well worth the read!
Rob Alex
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some really great ways to get productive in this book. The tips in this book were precise and to the point. This is a book that those having trouble with productivity should read over and over again.

Peace and Love,
Rob @ http://authorstalkaboutit.com
Mike Vardy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-library
Another book I was able to devour in one sitting. Some great practical tips and tricks offered by the author that anyone can start using today. Well worth the read.
John
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books, ebooks
I don't do creative work, but this has good advice for anyone who works, especially those who are any kind of freelancer. Even those who aren't, but who want to write more in their spare time (me).
Nicole C
Some interesting ideas, but nothing new. Reading this has helped me to realize that I have to wake up earlier to get more done though.
oliver and melissa
Sep 26, 2016
Alexandra
Jan 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“The creative process can look a little odd from the outside. Sometimes it looks like we’re doing nothing at all—strolling in the park, lazing on the beach, or staring into space while the rest of the office is busy being busy.” 0 likes