Start by marking “Shadows of the Forest” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the Forest

Shadows of the Forest

Everyone is dying to live in the Shadows of the Forest.
They gave me three rules to follow in exchange for my brother’s life:
1. Do not enter the West Wing;
2. Do not go outside after darkness falls; and
3. There is only one exit; The Gates.

This is what happened when I broke them…
144 pages
Published November 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Forest

Start your review of Shadows of the Forest
Carrie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
When Lily awakens in a strange hospital with some injuries the only thing on her mind is her twin brother Cole and finding out if he is safe. The staff at the hospital give Lily a strange set of rules before allowing to see her brother who was unfortunately seriously injured.

The rules Lily must follow seem simple enough, 1. Do not enter the West Wing 2. Do not go outside after darkness falls and 3. There is only one exit, the gate she came in. But with her brother in a coma and Lily determined
Angelina
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fist of all this book has an amazing cover, maybe it is not important for some people but at the end of the day if it is beautiful visually it is more likable to get picked up...

That's why I wanted but eventually the story is what stand out...

The main character was lovable and I really liked that the love for her brother is what made her to take risks and eventually discover what she really wanted from life. The world was beautiful, the descriptions really made me imagine
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Actual rating: 1.5/5 stars

"My brother once said that each person has their own world after they die, a world after they die, a world where they can be everything they didn't have the chance to be in life. I think maybe this is mine."

This is one of those books that would have needed more pages to make me enjoy it as much as I thought it would. At the moment everything felt a bit flat and boring, the adventure itself was o/>
Aoife
Jan 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF at 28%

This book follows a young woman called Lily who wakes up after a car accident in a strange hospital and she finds out her brother Cole is seriously injured. There are some strange rules regarding the place she is now in but she is prepared to break them to save her twin's life.

I DNF'd this at about 28% in as I knew I wasn't enjoying the book and if I had gone further I would have ended up skim-reading it. From the get go, this book seemed a bit all over the plac
Kourtni R.
*True rating is a 1.5/5*
This review was originally posted on my blog.
I received a copy from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

Sigh. I don’t really know where to begin with this book. At first, I was really excited by it because the synopsis is so intriguing and made me think it would have a bit of a dystopian element to it (it definitely does not). Then I noticed it has a very low rating on Goodreads and got discouraged. I wanted to like this book (I really want
Emily
After a terrible accident, Lily wakes up in a mysterious hospital with only glimpses of memories of what happened. She discovers her twin, Cole, is in a coma and is given a set of odd rules to follow during her stay. But one mystery leads to another even as her memories of the accident bring up more questions. What will happen if she breaks those rules?

Shadows of the Forest was a very interesting fantasy. It was not centered on a romance, like most teen fantasy I read these days. Rather,
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
There is something hauntingly beautiful about this book. It may have been the descriptions of the forest, or maybe that Lily had finally found peace? That is one thing that I loved about the book, the peace and beauty that was found in spite of the pain that propelled the scenes of this book.

At times the story seemed a little confusing. There is a lot of information given to the reader. Most of it is open for reader interpretation. (I did like that.) But it could have been set up a l
Dóri
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf-on-hold
I was approved for a review copy of this book after signing up through the review opportunities at Xpresso Book Tours. I am debating rating it, because I didn't get too far into the book.. not a fan. A more detailed review coming soon.

Honestly, I decided not to review this book, because someone has already written my thoughts down perfectly, so I'm going to link it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Also, she has a blog, which you can check out.

However, I did decide to rate it, despite the fact that I dnf-d it at like 28%, b
Danielle N
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I admit that I was instantly drawn to Shadows of the Forest with its eye-catching cover and mysterious blurb. I also welcomed the the opportunity to review something lighter and standalone. When you read fantasy, most stories belong to a series, and lately I have struggled with commitment issues. Okay, maybe it is not such a new problem, but it was nice to be presented with something that seemed to offer a more instant sort of gratification.

Full review here.
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, author and NetGalley for review*
While the cover is gorgeous and the premise sounds enticing, I was very let down by this book. I had to skim very large sections to even finish this book. I agree with a lot of people that this book was very hard to read.
The biggest problem was the writing style. I have seen this kind of overbearing, first person POV writing in many teenage fan fiction stories. The paragraphs are so thick with unneces
Shaun
Dec 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
** I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review**

I really wanted to like this one, the cover is absolutely beautiful, but after 17%, I just have to give up on it. The story hasn’t even begun to grab me yet, the writing style borders on incoherent, and it falls into tired clichés. The protagonist has suffered abuse, her parents were killed, and she’s apparently hurt in a car crash… It just seems like those themes have been used to death, and need to be done rea
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

*** 3.5 Cranky Stars ***

After tragedy upon tragedy, Lily wakes up in a mysterious hospital and is informed she's been involved in a terrible accident. Her twin brother, Cole, is in precarious health. Lily discovers he made a pact to save her and there begins her quest to return the favour.

The cover of this book is glorious. I enjoyed Michaels' writing style and her ability to tap into the vulnerability of a character as well as darkness. A
Sarah E.
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
DNF @ 29%

I was so confused as to what was going on. I kept having to go back pages and reread passages thinking I had missed something, when I hadn't. A third through this very short book and I honestly can't tell you any more than the twins were in an accident and there is some kind of spirit world. Oh, and their parents are dead and their dad abused them.
Brooke Banks
I received a free copy by agreeing to post an honest review from Ebooks For Review.

Content Warning: Child Abuse, Murder, Piss-poor Representation of Abuse Survivors.

The cover is gorgeous and the blurb was intriguing. I didn’t get what I thought I would at all though. This isn’t what I expected and the descriptions didn’t live up to the mental images borne from the cover.

Shadow of the Forest began startling and initially had me curious. However, Lily quickly bugged me with her endless lamentin
Yana
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review, fantasy
I received a free ebook review copy of this book but was under no obligation to post a positive review
Shadows of the Forest really is a difficult book to review. It was one of the more unique books I have read.
Like most of the books I read lately, I skimmed a few reviews before I started reading. I remember reading time and again that people did not like the writing style and expected to feel the same. However, from the beginning I found myself admiring it. I felt it was almost ly/>I
Nandini Bharadwaj
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who love to see a good brother-sister relationship
Shelves: 2017, reviewed-on-ub
Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

Characters:
Lily was the star of the show. With a haunting past marred by abuse and loss, she appears to be broken inside and her only redeeming quality is her love for her twin brother, Cole. We see the world through her eyes and she had my empathy from the get-go. She goes through quite a lot in this book and her journey is incredible and magical. The supporting characters had their own personalit
Rivalie
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars

I was hooked by the summary from the first time I came across it on the YA Bound Book Tours site. The cover is also absolutely breathtaking with all the different purple tone and the glass globe in the center.

Sadly, after finishing, I'm left at a bit of loss. Shadows of the Forest had a lot of potential with how unique the summary sounded and while there were definitely moments that were executed nicely, overall, I felt a bit disappointed with the story as whole.
Cassiopeia's Moon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
So, I finished this last night. It was...well, a disappointment.

This is a very short story, only about a 140 pages, and it still took me 2 weeks to read. My hopes were high, the synopsis made it sound really intriguing. I had hoped for a good, short read. What I got was a boring insight into the head of a boring girl.

This story could have been good, but the writing couldn't bring it out. The writing is too philosophical, and I was often left confused. The writing style ju
Klara
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really thrilled when I got aproved for the book on Netgalley because the synopsis promised a dystopian fantasy novel I was sure to love. But the synopsis told me the story of an entirely different book and that was sad and confusing at the same time.
The writing really disappointed me because I couldn't quiet understand half of the things that were going on because it was simply hard to understand what the sentence was trying to tell me. The book was less then 200 pages. It should hav
Eveline
I like that the author used mythical aspects and the hook of the story is very interesting, but.. sadly, I didn’t really enjoy Shadows of the Forest - mainly because it was all Tell and no Show.

The entire book was basically a narration of what was happening and the main character was thinking. I never really got into the story, because the descriptions were very static and lacked depth. I also didn’t connect with any of the characters, they didn’t have any distinctive or memorable personalities
Stacie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shadows of the Forest, by Emma Michaels, is a young adult fantasy. The protagonists are twins Lily and Cole, having lost their parents in an accident years ago - find themselves in danger, and then in a hospital that is filled with secrets - and three specific rules they are have been told not to break. Of course, within those rules lie the key to understanding what has happened to them.

While the narrative includes many details that give readers a sense of the strong relationship between the tw
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Shadows of the Forest
Author: Emma Michaels
Publisher: CHBB Publishing, 2016
Genre: YA Fantasy, YA Paranormal

**I received a copy of this book free from Ebooksforreview.com and the publisher in exchange for a review**

This review can be found on my BlogTeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review:

So...this cover is gorgeous, right? Just supreview**
ThisParanormal
**I
Jordan
Dec 06, 2016 added it
Unfortunately, I DNF'd this at 26%. The premise was fantastic. I loved the fable aspect that crept in suggesting a magic that would ultimately change the main character's fate. The story was rife with telling. I longed for description. The pacing sputtered and glossed over scenes that should have been extended to fully comprehend the situation and get the emotions, but instead it moved from scene to scene without enough time to process. The synopsis makes the story seem more dramatic than it act ...more
zoë ❅ (fallxnrobin)
Jan 15, 2017 marked it as dropped
DNF @ 22%

I used to think that a vague summary was a good thing as it doesn't give away much about the book's plot so there's much room for plot twists and surprises. However, there's also room for much misconception and confusion.

The summary mentions this place called the “Shadows of the Forest”, which I expected to be some mythical land that is seen as some sort of paradise but instead the only setting in the book seems to be a hospital surrounded by a forest. So I went and in
Books 2 Blog
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just finished this and I feel so....ahhh!! I don't know, I don't know what to think. So reading the blurb and reading the book is almost like two totally different things. I think I was expecting something completely different. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just different. I was definitely intrigued enough to keep reading this and it was a fairly quickly read, quite different than what I've read. It has a Japanese folklorish background, afterlife, and other worldly aspects.

At times I felt l
Heather
This book is so...weird.
It starts out with a girl being taken to a hospital after a car crash and her brother is badly injured and on the verge of dying. But then it quickly spins out of control into a big mess of forced fantasy and spiritual realms. I won't go into specifics because that'll "spoil" the big plot twists even though they're somewhat predictable. So here's a list of things I couldn't stand about the characters and writing.
This main character is so annoying! She constant
Jasmine
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 41%

I really wanted to like this book. I truly did. Unfortunately, it was just too hard to get through. Before I get into that, let me mention what I did like.

The cover is beautiful, first off. It definitely caught my eye and made me curious. The synopsis of the story was also intriguing and made me want to read the book. Those are the only two things I did like about it, though.

This book is really difficult to read. There are so many editing errors, and I wasn't qu
Jessie Seymour
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
***I received and ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review***

I gave this book 3 stars. I thought it was so very creative and adventurous. It was weird in a good way and I enjoyed reading it.

I wish this book had gotten into the setting more, explained this magical world. I was a bit confused by some things that were happening in the book.

I liked Arro. Him and lily were really cute and a bit unexpected at first. I didn’t think it would happen, but seein
Sarah1983
Aug 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Unfortunately I really didn't enjoy this book. It sounded intriguing from the description but it really failed to live up to it for me. Perhaps if it had been longer and less rushed it would have done so but as it was so short it just seemed choppy. Things weren't explained, details were skimpy and the whole thing just seemed repetitive. Over and over and over again we're told how much Lily cares for her
Samantha
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ya, fantasy
What drew me to this book was the premise and the cover, lets be honest its gorgeous! I have never heard of Emma Michaels before, so I thought I would give her a shot. It was definitely not what I thought it was and for a 144 page book, it seemed to drag on in some places making it seem much longer.

This book is heavily influenced by Lily's abuse from her father growing up, and how she is dealing with it now that her parents are dead. This would have been fine if it didn't define all
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Sea Queen (The Dark Queens, #1)
  • Tales & Darkness (Lost Time Academy #3)
  • Tales & Time (Lost Time Academy, #1)
  • Tales & Dreams (Lost Time Academy, #2)
  • Toxic Part Two (Celestra, #7.5)
  • Toxic Part One (Celestra, #7)
  • Marked by Destruction (The Marked, #3)
  • Expel (Celestra, #6)
  • Vex (Celestra, #5)
  • Born (Born, #1)
  • Lies You Never Told Me
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • Rooms
  • A Thousand Years to Wait (The Tarrowburn Prophecies, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)