Start by marking “De urolige” as Want to Read:
De urolige

De urolige

Far og datter sidder med en båndoptager mellem sig. Planen var at de skulle dokumentere aldringen, i en bog de to skulle lave sammen. Men da de endelig er i gang, har alderdommen fået tag i ham på en måde der gør samtalerne uforudsigelige og knitrende.
De urolige er en legesyg, udforskende og genreoverskidende roman om et barn som ikke kan vente med at blive voksen, og
401 pages
Published August 18th 2016 by Gyldendal (first published November 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about De urolige, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De urolige

Start your review of De urolige
Elyse  Walters
Audiobook read by Isabel Keating

This was an ‘interesting’ and often ‘unsettling’ Nordic novel.... ( semi- autobiographical).
It’s the first book I’ve read by Lin Ullman.

The main character is a young girl. She has no name. None of the characters have names. There is mother. There is father. Not married. While this young girl is eager to grow up - know who she is -
her parents needed to grow up themselves.

I understand it’s intentional when an author chooses to have nameless characters..
Author
Jennifer Tam
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning tribute/memoir written as a novel - such beautiful writing and descriptions - my only wish is that I could read it in its original language
Linda
A biography on Linn Ullman and her parents, the famous Ingmar Bergman and Liv Ullman.
Linn Ullman writes about a girl, a mother and a father. She never mentions the names of the characters, and despite their fame it could have been about almost anyone. She doesn't concentrate on that part of their lives, not much anyway, but more about their personalities and relationships.

Ingmar Bergman was a phenomenal director, really outstanding, but he didn't know how to care for children. In the book, he
AdiTurbo
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Giving up at half the book. This is a story about a girl whose very famous parents are emotionally, and most times also physically, non-available to her. Her anger is understandable and justifiable, but there's nothing new to read here and no new insights. Even the chosen perspective of the mature daughter who is visiting and talking to her aging father doesn't add anything new or interesting. The relationships are so cold and alienated that you never feel anything, and keep wondering what these ...more
Regitze
I enjoyed this book more for it's experimenting form than the story itself, but that is a reflektion of me: I'm not familiar with either of the author's parents, even though they're quite famous. I think for those who are, the book might be even bettter.
Fredrikke Wongraven
i did not realize what this book was about until i had finished it.
of course it was about ingmar bergman and liv ullmann. it all makes sense now.

first i thought it was fiction, cause it really felt like fiction.
it was a wonderful read, with strange passages and you get to know the quirks of both liv ullmann and ingmar bergman.

i really recommend this read.
Karin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I reda so far this year. Beautifully written. ...more
Doug
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded down.

This is a decidedly odd book, and a hard one to rate. While purportedly a novel, there is no pretense that this ISN'T about the author's famous parents, Ingmar Bergman and Liv Ullmann (there is a halfhearted 'explanation' for its designation as fiction at the beginning of part four, but it makes little sense). And if one isn't already enamored and fascinated by the real life protagonists, there is really no reason to dive in. But the problem is, even though the book is
Helene Jeppesen
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This memoir is from the daughter of the famous Swedish movie director Ingmar Bergman. I don't know HIM that well, but I was intrigued enough to check out this book and it was fascinating enough to keep me going. The writing style was a bit too messy for my taste in some places, but the nostalgia I got from reading about her childhood summers was well worth it in the end.
Paul Ataua
Being total fan of Ingmar Bergman when I was in my late teens, and having a total crush on Liv Ullmann at that time meant I really went into this from the wrong angle. My focus was more on them than their child and that child’s memories of her relationship with those parents, especially with her father. It is only when I got three-quarters through did I start to understand where the writer was coming from. I need to reread, but not for some time. Three stars to say it will probably turn out to ...more
Cherise Wolas
A gorgeous memoir-novel, which takes as its starting point a series of taped conversations between Ullmann and her father, the famous film director Ingmar Bergman as he was entering old age. The idea was that they would write a book together, a collaboration on the subject of aging. There are only six recordings, the sound quality is bad, and through them Bergman is disappearing, his words, his thoughts, his physicality. While there is an extra frisson knowing that the writer is the 9th child of ...more
Eric Sutton
A disconnected series of vignettes focusing on Linn Ullmann's parents, the famed director Ingmar Bergman and actress Liv Ullmann, Unquiet is striking in its evocative beauty and nostalgia. It's almost as if one were to recollect fragments of memories and conversations and piece them together. Having two extremely famous parents probably draws interest to Ullmann's novel, but really we get very little biography of them. The novel, instead, rests on depicting personality, landscape, mood - all the ...more
John Hatley
This is an excellent biography of two people: Linn Ullmann and her father Ingmar Bergman. It naturally includes lots of other characters (Bergman was married five times and had several affairs - with Ullmann's mother, for example, to whom he was not married; and he was the father of nine children). But it is first and foremost Linn Ullman's and Ingmar Bergman's story. A good read.
Lise
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is so good.

there is no english translation yet which is a damn shame. i am very tempted to like. translate it myself, if only so my non-norwegian (or danish, i suppose) friends can read it

but yes. so so so good
Meredith
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm abandoning this about 60% of the way through. The first bit was somewhat interesting, about the narrator's childhood summers on an island in Sweden with her famous film-director father, but after that I just got kind of bored.
h.son books
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a elder man and a women. The elder man was her dad. And they is going to do a book together. Like this book alot.
Serena
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
Signe Møllskov
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book - A beautiful describtion of relationship between parents and child. Whitout judgement...even thought her mother comes out looking like a complete narciccist.
Ásdís Paulsdóttir
Wonderful, just read and enjoy.
Holly Foley (Procida)
I think it is misguided to think that because your father is a famous filmmaker that his sunset of life would be anything particularly unique and glamorous compared to anyone else's. I recommended this to a friend whose mother was in hospice. This friend is a poignant writer herself, and I hope will be inspired to also document the final days of a glorious life spent with a wonderful person. The final days of a parents life take on an eerie reflective quality. The best we can do, I think, is to ...more
Pat
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this novel is something like watching a film made by Ullman’s father, Ingmar Bergman. Everything moves through a quiet, misty and mysterious setting even while strong passions are at play. In mesmerizing prose the protagonist/narrator explores who she is in the context of a world dominated by a famous father and mother, both more absent than present.
As she interviews her elderly father the process of questioning is as important as what he says. A sort of ritual develops, the time and
Marie Nedregotten
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-composed and excellently narrated memoir of a could-have-been family of three. The child's urge to belong and to matter, and her famous parents' equal urge to be seen, are both described with understanding and a suitable self-aware distance. About Liv Ullmann and Ingmar Bergman and their child, the author.
Doreen Ashbrook
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Ullmann's prose is beautifully descriptive and poetic. That being said, I found this book to be tedious at times and I was looking for a character that I could like. All in all, the book was interesting, but left me feeling sad.
Marte
I'm so happy that the first book I've read in 2016 is among the best I've ever read!

"- Er du klar, sier pappa, han har foldet ut arket.
- Okay, sier jeg.
- Er du sikker på at du er klar?
- Ja.
Beautiful writing
Berit Lundqvist
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Amazing and heartbreaking book about growing up as the both loved and neglected child of director Ingmar Bergman and acress Liv Ullman. Every sentence contains a universe of its own.
C B
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entirely possible you have to be a fan of Ullmann's parents to be down with my rating. But 4 stars easily.
Elaine Lang
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite writing, an elegant use of dialogue and narrative. Hammars, the place, is an amazing character in this novel.
Wenche
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book on the top of my list.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add details to book edition 3 20 Jun 18, 2019 05:44PM

• Jag for ner till bror (Jana Kippo, #1)
  • Rich boy
  • Gå förlorad
  • Testamente
  • Nuckan
  • Beckomberga: Ode till min familj
Linn Ullmann is the daughter of actress, author and director Liv Ullmann and director and screenwriter Ingmar Bergman.

She is a graduate of New York University, where she studied English literature. She returned to Norway in 1990 to pursue a career in journalism.
Her first novel Before You Sleep was published in 1998. Her second novel, Stella Descending (2001) received glowing reviews. Her third
“Jag vill inte dö, jag vill leva, men om hon dör finns det ingen plats för mig i den här världen.” 0 likes