Start by marking “The Stone Girl's Story” as Want to Read:
The Stone Girl's Story

The Stone Girl's Story

Exploring the power of stories and storytelling, Sarah Beth Durst presents the mesmerizing adventure of a girl made of living stone who braves unforeseen dangers and magical consequences on a crucial quest to save her family.

Published April 3rd 2018 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Girl's Story, please sign up.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Nope. Magical symbols and marks carved into the stone statues are what give them life. (Not a spoiler). Plus she's carved as a 12 year old girl.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars - really a delightful middle grade novel, and it's standalone! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

girl
Fearless Girl statue

High up in the mountains, in a marble house, live a stone girl and her animal friends, who are also carved from stone. In this world, magical symbols and marks carved into stone make the stone come alive, giving it the power to move above, see, speak and hear, think, and even fly. Mayka, the stone girl, and her family of living stone birds, rabbits, a cat, an owl
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Abuse towards stone creatures, mention of war, and an abusive society.

I have read The Queen of Blood by this author and thoroughly enjoyed it! When I heard that Sarah Beth Durst was releasing a middle grade I didn't hesitate to add this. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

The Stone Girl's Story begins with Mayka saying good-bye to Turtle. Turtle is a stone creature whose marks have completely faded. Mayka and the rest
Jen
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
DISCLAIMER: I have met the author of this book at various book shows and she has come to our store to do a book signing before, so I already have a positive feeling towards this author. She is sweet and nice and funny and while I am sure that plays a part in her writing ability, that doesn't sway me in this review. This book stands on its merits and not on the author's sweet personality. : )

This book was really amazing. It's geared towards middle grade readers, but had me at least three times ga
Ms. Yingling
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Mayka was made by Father, a master stone mason who has since died. She lives in the mountain with her family of stone creatures, but as their markings wear off with age, the creatures are in danger of slowing completely down, like Turtle, whom Mayka mourns. In order to restore him and keep the other creatures alive, Mayka decides to travel to the city of Skye, where father lived, in order to find another stone mason. Along with two birds, Risa and Jacklo she gets into th
snowplum
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure for people who've never read any of my other reviews: I've basically got two settings, Coldly Intellectual and Ball of Mush. The book caught me in Ball of Mush mode, and I started crying within sentences. Following is a rough transcript of what followed, serving the dual function of catharsis and book review.

Coldly Intellectual Plum (hereafter CIP, pronounced 'Kip', I suppose, if you're thinking aloud) said (to myself, not aloud, and certainly not calling me Mushy Plum, or BoMP):
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of The Language of Spells
*I received an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This such a great book. It's really original, and managed to surprise me a lot. There's a charming cast of characters, a wonderful focus on how stories define you and who gets to tell those stories, but still incorporates high stakes and tension. It's about courage and autonomy and family, and it does it in my favorite middle-grade way: keeping it short and simple enough to be an easy read, but without dumbing it do
Suze Lavender
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mayka's creator made his stone creatures come to life through intricate markings that are telling their story. Mayka is a girl made of stone with her history etched on her body. Because stone lasts longer than a human life, Mayka and the stone animals she lives with now no longer have anyone to recarve their markings. When those marks are fading the stone creatures lose functions, until they stop moving completely. To prevent that from happening to her friends and herself, Mayka leaves home for ...more
Kathy Martin
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE STONE GIRL'S STORY is a wonderful middle grade fantasy. Mayka is a girl who was carved of stone by Father who also carved many other creatures: birds Jacklo and Risa, rabbits Dersy and Harlisona, the owl Nianna, Etho the lizard, Turtle, Badger, the cat Kalgray, and the fish. But Father died many years previously and the marks he carved into their stone are fading. When they have faded enough, all the carvings stop. Recently Mayka's friend Turtle has stopped and she is grieving his loss.

She d
Tasha
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
See this review at https://booksandbiscuits674138277.wor...

This book took me way too long to read, mainly because I just couldn't stay engaged. I think the most important thing to me in any novel is the characters, and unfortunately I just couldn't empathize with these ones. Maybe because they're literally made of stone.

Mayka lives on a mountain with an assortment of stone animals, happy in her peaceful routine and unconscious of passing years. Unfortunately the marks that keep her and her frien
Heaven Ashlee
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be completely honest, I picked up this book because of the cover. I'm a sucker for a good cover, especially one that is illustrated (hallelujah middle grade books almost always having illustrated covers!). I didn't know a single thing about the plot except what the title and cover gave me.

In short, this is a story about a world where stonemasons can carve animals into stone and bring them to life by carving runes of a sort into the stone. Deep in the forest mountain, Mayka and her stone frien
hpboy13
I’ve been a loyal fan of Sarah Beth Durst for long enough to recognize her signatures: a fantastical world, an emphasis on the power of stories, and a fundamentally good heroine who becomes awesome. I’m happy to report that all of these things are deployed very effectively in The Stone Girl’s Story, a lovely fable about the power and importance of free will.

Through the use of her fantasy world, Durst is able to address some very thorny issues cropping up in our real world – as, indeed, so much g
Karissa
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was super excited to read this and it ended up being good but not great. The story was a bit slow and boring for me, but I think younger readers would find it more entertaining and interesting. This book would be great for kids of all ages.

Mayka is a girl carved from stone whose Stonemason died. While Mayka and his creations live on in the mountains, some of the creations are starting to wear out and fade. As a result of this, Mayka decides to begin her long journey down the mountain to find
Loretta Marchize (on hiatus)
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a little confusing at times, and I think it could have ended a chapter earlier, then had an epilouge that only included the last bits.

OTHER than that (all minor) this was a great book! A middle-gread novel, so content-free and a nice story. I liked the ending.

Note: this was one of my vacation books
Lisa Brintlinger
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fresh story! A live stone girl surrounded by stone animals, her family! It confirms the power of stories and storytelling, you make your family from those around you whom you love, and tells of a girl's journey of choices. An enjoyable read!!!
Leah
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was different. I liked the stone creatures and the magic. I also liked the characters, especially Si-Si and Mayka. They had interesting stories. I liked the mountain and journey chapters better the town chapters. I thought they were more interesting.
Talia
Aug 19, 2018 added it
Shelves: childerens
Goodish
Charlotte
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, rc18
I loved this story of a girl who, though she is made of stone, is just as alive as anyone else, with the capacity to grow, and change, and act on the side of justice.
Erin
Oct 16, 2018 added it
This was a wonderfully touching book about loyalty, bravery and friendship.
Sarah Beth Durst has a very distinctive, thoughtful kind of writing style, at least to me. This book brought up things like what really makes a person alive, not letting others determine your story for you, and freedom. It was interesting to read through the perspective of an innocent stone girl. At times, her innocence was refreshing, like in the fact that she had never purposely lied before. At other times, I was like:
Sabrina Fox
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
"Turtle had stopped moving last week.
He'd warned Mayka and the others a year ago, when he first began to slow - but he moved so slowly anyway that she hadn't believed him. Not really. She'd always thought they'd have one more afternoon. On the mountain, there was always another afternoon. Another sunset. Another sunrise.
Until there wasn't."

Sarah Beth Durst is a master storyteller! In her newest book, we meet a girl named Mayka. She just so happens to be made out of living stone.
High up on her mo
Elaine
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
What if you were carved from stone, but alive? What if you slowed and eventually went to sleep as the carved marks wore away with time? This is what had begun happening to Mayka's friends. Their father was a stonemason who carved them all, but now there is no one to keep the marks fresh and clear.

Mayka begins a journey to find a stonemason who will come to help them. She heads down into the valley and toward the great city looking for someone who can save her friends. Everything is new and diffe
Melissa
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I don't read much MG, I'm always up for a good story. I also love the author's work so adding this to my reading pile was a no brainer. I was also not disappointed.

The story is of stone which comes to life if a skilled stonemason carves and then gives story to the various forms of rock. Mayka has been made by one of the most skilled stonemasons and she and her family of creatures all have the choice to expand upon their own stories. It's very much like how children are given a bit of their
Emma (Miss Print)
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mayka and her stone family were brought to life by the markings etched into their bodies--symbols that represent who they are and the stories of their live. Mayka's father was a talented stonemason. He created fish that could swim, rabbits, birds, and even a turtle before he used everything he had learned to create Mayka a girl who lives and thinks even if she does not need to breath or eat the way humans do.

But stone erodes over time and Mayka's father is no longer alive to tend to his stone cr
Kim
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story! A few years ago I read a few of Sarah Beth Durst's books; Into the Wild and the Girl Who Could Not Dream; and completely loved them; her way of telling a story appeals to the fantasy world I believe in as a child. When I saw The Stone Girl's Story I had to request it from Net Galley and was excited to be given a copy to read in advance.

Stone Girl does not disappoint. Mayka has been carved from mountain stone by Father. He has also carved into life her friends Risa and Jac
Janet Slipak
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
DESCRIPTION:

Mayka and her stone family were brought to life by the stories etched into their bodies. Now time is eroding these vital marks, and Mayka must find a stonemason to recarve them. But the search is more complex than she had imagined, and Mayka uncovers a scheme end
Tasha
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Mayka is a stone girl, created by Father, a stone mason who lived alone with his stone creations on a mountain. Father died years ago and now some of Mayka’s friends, whose markings are wearing off with age, are in danger of becoming statues instead of living stone. So Mayka decides to see if she can find a stone mason to recarve her friends, though that will mean heading away from the her quiet home in the mountains into the valley below. Mayka is accompanied on her quest by two stone birds who ...more
Mark Buxton
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My name is Mayka, and my father has died. The etchings on our stone bodies are fading, and the marks are what give us life. I'm leaving our home on the mountain for the first time, and I must find a new stonemason to fix the carvings. I'm happy that Risa and Jacklo are with me. The stone birds can fly ahead to warn me of danger, although Jacklo tends to get distracted and off course. We've met a small, stone dragon named Si-Si, and she's helped us find the city of Skye. Unfortunately, the Stone ...more
Becky B
Mayka, a girl, and her animal friends are all made of stone. Their Father created them with special marks carved into them that tells their stories and gives them abilities. But Father died many, many years ago and now their marks are starting to fade. Old Turtle has grown still because of the fading of his marks, and Mayka knows that others in the family are close. She decides that she must venture down from their mountain and go to the city to find a stone mason to recarve their marks. With th ...more
Kacey
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I'm coming across these amazing works of children's literature. This one I loved because I am a storyteller, so of course anything having to do with that will pique my interest. I also loved the world this book created and all the beings inhabiting that world. I loved how each of them had a story and even the most minor of characters had a personality. That was pretty genius.

Since this book is all about taking your story and interpreting it the way you choose, I'm going to say how I
Amanda
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up several times and then put it down again before finally settling down into reading it. I loved Durst's books; she always has an unusual take on things, a different way of looking at the usual, that I adore, and this book took it to a whole new level.

I feel like a fraud when I use phrases like "richly-layered" however this was richly layered in meaning and characterization. Not that it was pretentious or pompous or anything, just that there was so much more than a simple story of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of seventeen fantasy books for adults, teens, and kids, including The Queens of Renthia series, Drink Slay Love, and The Girl Who Could Not Dream. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University, where she spent four years studying Engl ...more