Start by marking “Into Africa (Bluewater Walkabout Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Into Africa (Bluewater Walkabout Book 2)

Into Africa (Bluewater Walkabout Book 2)

"Into Africa (Bluewater Walkabout Book 2)" is the hilarious and honest account of one woman's quest to better herself. Whether jumping overboard to retrieve a wayward hat, chasing down a missing son in the diamond fields of Namibia, or warding off great white sharks with a camera, Tina's misadventures are ridiculous and unbelievable.

It is a good thing she has the images
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 266 pages
Published September 10th 2016 by Tina Carlson-Dreffin

To ask other readers questions about Into Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into Africa

Start your review of Into Africa (Bluewater Walkabout Book 2)
Igrowastreesgrow
Alison
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic memoir, of the author and her families adventures by boat and land, which had me on the edge of my seat. She is a wonderful storyteller, giving us beautiful descriptions and details of their escapades, of the people they meet and places that they visit. We first hear about their life leading up to this adventure, how the couple meets, their common goals and what they go through to live their lifestyle, but then most of this story, is about a trip that the author, her husband ...more
Keren Krinick
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley and AuthorBuzz Publishing, for the copy of "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa, Finding Healing Through Trauma", by Tina Dreffin. This book is an incredible and inspiring memoir of a family that sails and explores the world. The author, Tina, is a wonderful writer and I often found myself with the feeling as if I was a part of their adventures. The story is filled with surprises, some tragic and some exhilarating, as well as many interesting details and bits of ...more
Teri Donaldson
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This is such a rich and full story-full of wonderful descriptions of travel, raw emotions and choices when facing difficult situations.
I felt like I was on the journey with the family. I could see the animals, feel the waves on the ocean and cry with the pain of remembering. Rarely does a book make you feel that way.
Heartfelt and heart wrenching, but a book that is difficult to put down.
I received this book in Goodreads Giveaway. The choice to read and review it was mine.
Nancy
Nov 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I started this book with great optimism that was quickly squelched. The book lacked focus, organization, proof reading and sometimes the wrong word. The author instantly lost credibility with me when she used "right" for "write". Really?

Unless you're a family member who will overlook all errors or thrive on a stranger's angst don't waste your time on this read.
Rebekah Crain
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bluewater Walkabout is a beautiful travel memoir about one family's long running adventure across oceans and land both. Full of funny tales and awe inspiring experiences, this is a book that will make you want to get up and moving. Be it to the local hiking trail, a cross country road trip, backpacking abroad, or even to a sea running ship like the Scud you'll feel drawn to get out and experience the incredible world around you, sans cellphones and all of today's modern technologies. The author ...more
Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog
I really wanted to like this book. I loved the description but I just found it a little flat. If you like sailing, know anything about sailing then this book will definitely speak to you. Because there is a lot of sailing jargon.

For such a full and amazing life I found that the stories were rather bland and filled with Tina's constant worry about her boys, her boys friends, sharks or some other danger, real or perceived. I didn't feel uplifted after reading this book and I had a hard time
Darlene
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just couldn't get into this book. There were some adventures I enjoyed, but not the rest. Sorry, I couldn't come up with more to say about the book. But maybe you'll enjoy it more.
Susan Clingman
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Great travel memoir of the author and her family across sea and land. Beautiful descriptions of locations.
Tina Dreffin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
There comes a time in your life when you say, "Let's disappear! Get wild!

The trouble with jumping into the African bush and onto the high seas is that you could die out there. I did...nearly, a few times. There was that rogue wave which nearly took me with it, a collision with a diamond mining ship in fog off Namibia, a raging elephant, and a lion that ate somebody – sadly.

By the time we'd bumped around the African coasts, crossed the Atlantic Ocean, and sailed to the Caribbean, I was an
January Gray
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it well enough. Not in love with it, but I enjoyed it.
Homerun2
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book -- the story of an adventurous woman and her family and their journey to South Africa to take delivery of their new catamaran, and their sometimes perilous ocean passage back.

Threaded between the narrative of their sailing trip is the story of the author's journey and her own voyage of discovery. Her candor and her courage stand out on every page, along with the love and strength that bind their family together.

Her descriptions of the different places they visit are vivid and
Wayne Lemmons
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Compelling Than Fiction

I would not normally spend my time reading a nonfiction book. I wouldn't enjoy it, feel enraptured in it, love the writing or even the feelings expressed.
I see now, as should anyone else, that this isn't the average book or the average writer.
I don't refer to the creator of this manuscript as an author, because anyone can be an author. Tina Dreffin is a writer, one who shows us her soul and leaves us in a place between satisfaction and a need to know more.

Bravo.
Ladyp
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I love reading about others who have dared to go out on a risky adventure.
I loved hearing through her voice about all the animals they got up close and personal with in Africa; or at least that’s what it felt like to me as I read along. Then their sailing adventure and all the hazards that happens while one is on the ocean, seeing, and living their dream.
It was exciting to read about their escapades as they traveled the world.
I wished I could have relieved her of all her worries while she was
Carolyn Vandine West

I really enjoyed this book. The wonderful vivid descriptions of a life most of us can only dream of seeing through the eyes of an author or a television documentary. I love to hike and hopefully after a knee replacement will be able to do so again without pain. I would love to sail, however it will not happen at my age and the deep respect I have of the ocean.
I truly felt pulled into Tina's description of her life at sea with her family.
The links at the back of the book I am certain can save
Sean Talbot
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
a very enjoyable read that is all about adventure and finding your happiness.

while I did enjoy the book I wished they hadn't ended it when they did as it had the makings to show more about the intricacies of this family
Lisa L.
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story of healing through traveling with family and friends. The story was vivid and vibrant as well as sad yet hopeful.
Ferdinand
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Bluewater Walkerbout by Tina Dreffin is a non-fiction travel memoir. The book details the life experiences and the adventures of the author. The book was published by Blue Publishing Incorporated. All the stories in this book are true, although some names and identifying details have been changed to protect the privacy of the people involved. The book was written over a ten-year period.

Tina Dreffin is preparing to go on a grand tour into Africa. They plan on taking a flight to Johannesburg.
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 1.5 of 5

I've been enjoying non-fiction books more and more lately and the description of this - a memoir of sailing and a safari through Africa really sounded like something I'd enjoy. But the subtitle of this book, "Finding Healing Through Travel," reveals the true purpose of this memoir.

Author Tina Dreffin had a rough few years when she was young and trying to make it in Texas, to the point that she feared for her safety. Rape
Emmie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I started this book with lots of enthusiasm. I love memoir type books, but unfortunately this book just did not grip me. It jumped around so much during the first few chapters that I had to go back and reread whole passages to figure out if we are in the present or the past. There was no sense of continium and flow.

Other than that there are some other errors and exaggerations which I did not appreciate. If you write memoirs, I suppose you are allowed a certain amount of poetic liscence, but
Esperanza
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: somewhat-aussie
One of my previous Aussie jobs involved working with remote communities mainly populated by the traditional custodians of their local lands. Although I may have already been made familiar to a thing or two about their unique way of life, I've always been looking forward to learning more about their culture.

Thus, it really shouldn't be a surprise if this book's title instantly caught my attention. Chancing upon the initial definition of the Australian Aboriginal terminology on its initial pages
Cat
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy travel books and this one is one wild trip. I haven't read a book about a boat trip over the ocean in ages..... This ones not too bad. A woman and her family set sail and she wrote about the joys and trials of the trip. Not bad. I've read better travel books. Still it may inspire someone to take a road, or ocean, trip themselves.

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Lizbeth
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
When the author meets her partner in love and adventure, she boldly joins him to create a life on the water. Together, they and/or tragedy and triumph as they raise their family well sealing the globe. The sea is not always kind, and her entire family that eventually includes two sons must unite as a team if they are to survive. For readers like me who love travel adventure and enduring love.
Danny Gillespie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Into Africa is a great book for anyone who likes books about wildlife or nature. The two main characters, Peter and Emily, get lost in the woods. On their way through the woods, the meet some people, and many animals, and end up finding their way home. I found this book very entertaining and I think it is fun to learn about wildlife and nature and how they interact with each other.
Matt
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read, full of adventure and wisdom. Both heartwarming and inspiring. The author grabs life by the horns and provokes the reader to do so too. Found it hard to put down, reading it over only a few days.
Kister Bless
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book full of adventure. It's also inspiring and informational. Good work by Tina.
Kristina Stanley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a memoir, it reads like novel. There is suspense, intrigue, and adventure. You'll love following this family around the world. You'll get to see first hand what's it's like to live life aboard a sailboat. The very personal, touching story will keep you riveted!
Samantha Holtsclaw
Jan 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Adrift
  • Final Notice
  • One Way or Another  (The Sisters Quartet #1)
  • Peter Pan
  • Twisted Threads (Threads #4)
  • Strong Heart
  • Indian Boyhood
  • The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci (Out of Time Thriller, #1)
  • The Warramunga's War
  • The Lost Identity Casualties: The Callaghan Septology
  • The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment
  • Checking Out
  • The Scotsman Who Saved Me (Seven Brides for Seven Scotsmen #1)
  • Nothing Was the Same