Start by marking “Revolver” as Want to Read:
Revolver

Revolver

The “stunning and harrowing” short story, originally published in the anthology No Way Home, is now available as a standalone release and features an all-new foreword written by award-winning science fiction author, Lucas Bale.

Audible Audio
Published September 15th 2016 by Michael Patrick Hicks (first published August 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Revolver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolver

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Holy crap!

Michael Patrick Hicks is on my friends list. I don't add many authors and I tend to remove them if they act a dang fool. Thus I have a short list of them.
Michael has always come across as a quiet classy guy. He participates on Goodreads without ever coming across as a douche nugget. (Please take note you authors that act cray-cray)

Then I decided to read this book based upon my friend (another well behaved author) Ed's review. He doesn't give many five stars either so I was insanely cur
Edward Lorn
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
WINNER: BEST NOVELLA 2015!

Wow. Just... Wow. This is easily making my Best of 2015 list.

Revolver, by Michael Patrick Hicks, is reminiscent of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, Stephen King/Richard Bachman's The Running Man, and George Orwell's 1984. Yes, you read that correctly. I consider Revolver on par with all three of those classics. This novella packs one helluva punch. I'm floored, folks.

The piece is multi-layered and utterly thought provoking, but the writing is really the prize-winning pony
Dan Schwent
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
In an all too plausible dystopian future, Cara Stone agrees to be on Revolver, a web show where the contestant raises money for his or her family before killing themselves on live TV. Too bad Cara has other plans...

Michael Patrick Hicks is one of those sneaky Goodreads authors that pretends to be an ordinary reader and rarely mentions his own books. Pretty slick, huh?

Anyway, Revolver is a dystopian novella reminiscent of Richard Bachman's The Running Man. Society has gone to hell in a hand baske
Carol
Yikes! Sick....Sick....Sick!

REVOLVER is a tv horror reality show (sponsored by politicians of the state and paid for by viewers) where down and out on their luck citizens/contestants raise a minimum of $5,000 for their families resulting from their.......uhhh performance.

While this crazy futuristic man's world gone mad episode is being aired on a Jumbotron, the world outside the studio is in the midst of riots....or is it war? Anyway, the young woman being exploited presently has had enough and

Janie C.
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is quick and alarming. Of course, it's just fiction. Something like this could never happen. Could it? If you haven't already, please read this book and see what YOU think.
Kimberly
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! For a shorter story, this one had a very commanding presence! In the world of reality TV shows, the premise behind "Revolver" is almost too believable. In a United States that has turned to ultra Christian and male dominated opinions, Cara Stones is only one of many unfortunates whom the government has taken everything away from. She chooses to "participate" in the show "Revolver", in the hopes of earning some much needed money for her family.

What really struck me about this was Cara's pers
Richard
This fierce, punchy novelette is is what we would get if Richard Bachman was still writing today during our social media age. It's reminiscent of his classic work in it's dystopian critique on society today. Hicks paints a picture of a world that's uncomfortably possible, where religious zealots and a rich family essentially take over America persecuting women, minorities, and homosexuals and where the masses morbidly watch poor people kill themselves on national primetime tv. It's passionate an ...more
Sh3lly
This is a short story that has won many accolades, if I'm not mistaken. It takes place in a not-too-distant dystopian future where conservative fundamentalists have pretty much taken over America and there are mandatory gun carry laws and women's rights, gay rights, etc. have all been erased. People kill themselves on reality-TV type shows. It's a scary world.

With the political climate today, it's actually a good social commentary. Part satire, part cautionary tale, it's a worst case scenario if
Glen Krisch
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best short story I've read in quite some time.
Mindi
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Earlier this year my friend Sadie encouraged me to read a novella by Michael Patrick Hicks called Broken Shells. She knew I would love it, and she was absolutely right (as she always is). So I had every intention of picking up another book by Hicks ASAP. I had heard good things about Revolver, so I decided to fit it into my TBR for April. It's a super quick read, and I have been eager to read more from him.

This novella straight up comes with a disclaimer at the beginning. Hicks warns readers tha
The Grim Reader
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Revolver' is another short story from Michael Patrick Hicks, set in a future United States that is being torn apart by civil unrest. It's a county controlled by fear through the media.

This is an angry story, one that goes straight for the jugular in a most unapologetic but engaging way. 'Revolver' is a game show where contestants raise money for their stricken families before killing themselves on live television.

Despite its short length, 'Revolver' packs a huge punch. It's a sci-fi story with
Bill
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
An excellent short from Michael Patrick Hicks that reads much larger than its word count and packs quite a punch.

Waging war on poverty, one person at a time.
Adam Howe
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of Richard Bachman’s The Long Walk and The Running Man, like the best dystopian fiction, Hicks’s future is chillingly plausible.
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Oh baby,

This book is as subtle as a kick to your special place.

But oh baby, it's fucking great; it feels damn good.

Political. Punchy. Pertinent.

Oh baby, all dem stars.
WendyB
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Scary how close this hits to the nonsense coming from the political right wing.
The Behrg
Revolver, by Michael Patrick Hicks, is a one-of-a-kind short story, a window into a world that feels all too real. With glimpses of George Orwell's classic, 1984, and Stephen King's, The Running Man, we're injected into a quite dystopian world where people with no hope commit suicide on national TV in an attempt to earn money for their families.

If that sounds like a brutal concept, wait until you read the story. Hicks pulls no punches, bringing in topics that include politics, sexism, elitism, r
Christopher
Don't think I can rate this one today. This is so insanely non-subtle that I feel that I must be missing something. I have to be, right? Because at first glance this just seems to be someone on the far left's nightmare's about a country ruled by what they believe to be the far far right. Which is fine, I suppose? But there's no realism to it. I saw a review compare this to 1984, but the government there was a surveillance state, which is plausible in a "we must protect you" way. Also compared wa ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
A terrific and brutally aggressive take on white male conservatives and where they might go under the right (horrifying) leadership. Think FOX NEWS: EXTREME

A girl is offered money that would go to her family to kill herself on the live TV program, Revolver.

This is a short piece, so I won't give anything away.
It is ugly, but sadly, there are people out there that would love to watch something like this.

Definitely worth your time.

I give REVOLVER 5 stars.

Todd
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal, unsettling, and frighteningly topical.
Charlie Collins

For a short story this really packed a punch. Good stuff.
Wayne Barrett

Great short story. Is our society headed this direction? Sure seems possible and that is scary enough.
Sjgomzi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2019
Damn... I don’t even know what to say right now. This story spoke to the frustrations and disgust I feel, every time I turn on the news lately. An all too plausible future, if things continue on as they are. If you support that... thing... that currently occupies the highest office in the land, the sub human liars he surrounds himself with, and the policies they support, you’re probably not gonna like this story. Still feeling sick to my stomach, and just sad.
Baal Of
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: venison
A few years back I had an altercation on facebook with the relative of a friend, during one of my rare lapses from my general policy of never engaging in political discussion on that poisonous forum, in which he expressed the opinion that anyone accepting any kind of government assistance should be required to submit to any kind of intrusive search, medical procedure, etc. When I asked if he believed that someone using food stamps, for example, should be required to amputate and donate an arm, h ...more
Julia Albuquerque
Well, that was a sucker punch.

I've been reading great things about this short story, but I was still caught by surprise by the world Michael Patrick Hicks built in such a short page count.

Not only this is a extremely well written short story, it feels painfully real and scarily plausible, even in its crazier dystopian moments.

Definitely worth the read.
Steve Stred
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** Edited as Review is now live on Kendall Reviews!**

Revolver has been on my periphery for a bit now, simply because of the vitriol spouted towards it in reviews. I’ve seen Michael share some of the reviews, as the story seems to work a large segment of the population up.

Funnily enough, the book comes with a foreword warning you that you may not like it.

A lot of folks though read reviews regarding a book to see if they’ll want to check it out, so here’s my warning to those reading this (and I am
Tim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revolver is a gut punch of a short story that I really enjoyed. For such a short piece, I felt that I really got to know the main character well. The premise is very relevant and it is unfortunately easy to believe that it could come true in this country. It is certainly a thought provoking piece that shows the author skills in writing a captivating story. I do not feel that the subject matter went too far but a little subtlety might have improved the tale a little bit. But overall I greatly enj ...more
Sam
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oof, what a read. This is a great little story - very tough to read at times, as it's full of a lot of misery and raw hate. It gave me a similar feeling as reading The Handmaid's Tale did last year.
Tommy Muncie
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Revolver’ is a short story, first published in No Way Home and also published by the author as a standalone, available for purchase or on Kindle Unlimited for subscribers. I obtained it with the latter method.

My Thoughts:

Revolver comes across to me as the kind of story that many authors could pour onto the page when either angry enough, drunk enough, or both. Not that I mean to suggest that Michael Patrick Hicks was necessarily either when he wrote the story, but the narrator of the story being
Brian's Book Blog
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely, terrifyingly real

Warning, Revolver contains pretty much everything that people will find offensive: Language, Mentions of Rape, and belittling of women. With that being said, all of it (minus the language) was written for a reason.

The world has been turned on its head and Cara is given the chance of a lifetime to give her family a much-needed financial break. She just has to star on the crowd-funded hit TV series Revolver…

Patricia Santomasso provides the narration for Revolver and do
FanFiAddict
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis

Cara Stone is a broken woman: penniless, homeless, and hopeless. When given the chance to appear on television, she jumps at the opportunity to win a minimum of $5,000 for her family.

The state-run, crowdfunded series, Revolver, has been established by t
Michael Patrick Hicks is the author of Broken Shells: A Subterranean Horror Novella, Mass Hysteria, an Audiobook Listeners Choice Awards Horror Finalist, and Convergence, an Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Finalist. He is a member of the Horror Writers Association and the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers.

In addition to his own works of original fiction, he has written for the online publi
“The zealots in office told us often enough, and loudly enough, that this was a Christian America. They just never bothered to clarify if we were New or Old Testament.” 1 likes
“Fiction, particularly science fiction, has a duty not only to entertain, but to cast light on the shadowy parts of our society and its possible future.” 0 likes