Start by marking “Blood of the Delphi (The Harmatia Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood of the Delphi (The Harmatia Cycle, #2)

Blood of the Delphi

(The Harmatia Cycle #2)

“Praise Harmatia, it is a city of gold and light. Praise it until it crumbles to dust.”

Rufus Merle is a wanted man. After twelve years on the run, raising the infant Prince Joshua in secret, the last of the Delphi line now stands in grave peril. Sick, friendless and out of places to hide, Rufus and Joshua are hunted by dangerous alchemists, a deranged assassin, and a power
Paperback, First Edition, 561 pages
Published November 28th 2017 by Mag Mell Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood of the Delphi, please sign up.
M.E. Vaughan Hello, thank you for your question. The publishing of Blood of the Delphi was delayed by several reasons.

1) Writing is not my full-time occupation.…more

1) Writing is not my full-time occupation. At the time that Blood of the Delphi was being written and edited, I was working two/three jobs, finishing my degree and starting my post-graduate. I was also dealing with a personal loss after the death of my mother, which impacted my creativity.

2) In 2016 my contract with my publishers was terminated. Rather than find another publisher, I chose to set up my own publishing press and re-release The Sons of Thestian as a new edition, and publish Blood of the Delphi. This involved a steep learning curve that included research into my publishing options (print-run/PoD/services), distribution logistics and options, marketing strategies, and formatting, and required me to do it all. This was several months of work and effort.

All of this contributed to the delay in release. I thank you all for your continued support and patience with me, and I hope you enjoy the series. (less)
M.E. Vaughan Thank you very much for your question!
Thank you very much for your question!
Yes, the aim is to release the third book Autumn 2018. It depends on how much time I can donate to writing. The best way to help me get the next book out is to review and recommend the book to friends! The more sales I have, the more time I can afford to spend working on the final installment!

Thank you all for your tremendous support.(less)

J.A. Ironside
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING. THIS IS FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME ON KINDLE AND YOU CAN GET THE FIRST BOOK FOR JUST 99c/ 99p!

I'm incredibly wary of sequels. I mean, I know how hard a sequel is to write, but so many authors, especially SFF authors, rush out a second book or, worse, tag on a second book to a successful debut, that just isn't well thought out. As a reader you're left with characters that don't develop and a plot that can seem nonsensical or pointless. Middle book syndrome - we've a
Jessica {Litnoob}
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been excited for this book since I read the first book in the series many many many moons ago. It was a slow burn story that was driven by characters that you were compelled to love. And love them you did so that by the end of book one you were invested and in pain by this world and those in it.

BOtD (as I'll refer to the book from here on out) picks up with intense action while also giving us a huge time jump between the books. We see Rufus stealing away with Joshua at the end of book on
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I want to extend a huge thank you to M.E. Vaughan for sending me an e-copy of this book for review! It is always such a pleasure to work with you and read your work.

This review has been really hard to write, not because I have nothing good to say, but rather, there is so much that I don't know where to start! This book was everything I could have wanted in a sequel - heck, in a high fantasy novel period. It was just fantastic from start to finish.

The diversity, first and foremost, was
Dani St-Onge (Literary Lion)

Disclaimer: A free copy of this book was received through the author in exchange for an honest review.

Twelve years have passed since Prince Jionathan traded his life for Sverrin’s. Rufus is on the run, protecting Prince Joshua, the last Delphi prince. They are forced the live their life on the run. In the capital, others question their king. Arlen Zachary has seen things going
S.C. Parris
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin?!

M.E. Vaughan has EXCEEDED expectations with this masterpiece of a fantasy tale!

I can't even--

(breaths)

Okay, first thing the characterization of a previous character, whom, in Book 1, I cared little for immediately became a favorite! Arlen effin Zachary is a beautifully tormented character (perhaps even more tormented than my beautiful Rufus?), who is absolutely changed by the end of the book (GODS I WISH I COULD BUT I WON'T SPOIL IT BECAUSE YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK), but the pr
Meeghan
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think that M E Vaughan may possibly be one of my new favourite fantasy authors. I am spellbound by this series, and I need the next book as soon as possible! Like, I don’t care if it’s ready, I just need it now.

Blood of the Delphi is the sequel to The Sons of Thestian (TSoT) and I loved it just as much. The story begins twelve years after the events of TSoT with Rufus and Joshua on the run with the help of the Delphi Knights, Jionat imprisoned in the catacombs under the spell, Arlen and his br
Bethany (thelittlebookblog)
I would first of all like to extend my sincerest apologies to Madeleine as it has taken me an absolute AGE to read this book....she should have had this review far before this...so I’m sorry :)

Now for the fangirling....OH MY GOOOOODDDDD. This book....THIS BOOK! It’s so rare that a sequel is better than the original but this surpassed all of my expectations.

The beginning I had my heart in my mouth for the first third of the book worrying about the characters!! goodness me my heart was hurting!
Paloma Villasenor
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just three words what the fu... I need the third book NOW. How can I live with that ending?
Chelsie  Sims
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A sequel is always hard to write, and a good sequel is even harder to achieve. Is Blood of the Delphi a successful sequel? HECK YES!

The book starts with such a gripping and heart-aching first 200 pages ❤ Like, seriously, my heart was in my throat for all of Rufus’ mishaps and adventures. His and Fae’s relationship in this book blossomed and was so nice to get.

I felt that Fae had more book-time, with more about her motives, back-story and family life. Learning more about her people was super int
Sasha Cheung
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I would like to thank M.E. Vaughan for giving me an advanced ebook copy, and to offer my deepest apologies for making her wait for this review! Considering that it took me three days to read it, and two the second time around, the wait you've had is abominable. My apologies again.

Having absolutely adored The Sons of Thestian, I had high expectations for the sequel, and I'm very pleased to say that they have been exceeded. Blood of the Delphi builds and develops upon the foundations
Amanda
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wild ride!! I missed Jionat so so SO much, but we get to meet Joshua and there's a lot of Arlen in the book and much much much stuff happening.

I am actually really really grateful that this book has rlly good trans rep (both in the way how the character was written, how people around him acted and how the reaction to him coming out was shown), a lesbian princess (also an abuse survivor), an ace character who will surely kick anyone's ass if they tried anything, bisexual main character wh
Rin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This book was considerably darker than the first book with darker themes like torture. Just like the first book, the pace was fast and new revelations kept occurring at every turn that left me gripping my phone. And once again, my new favourite character suffers the most. (view spoiler)
Amanda Horn
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
M.E. Vaughan has a way of getting me so wrapped up in her stories that nothing else seems important. After the first book finished, I couldn’t wait to read the second and it didn’t disappoint! After a quarter of the book, I couldn’t stop reading. The story is so good and there’s so much going on. These stories focus on a small group of characters and what’s going on the world around them. It’s truly impressive how she wraps everything together and has built such a massive world. She also has don ...more
Andrew
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a stunning sequel to The Sons of Thestian. The prose and dialogue is edgier, the characters have real depth and the story develops in such as way as to have you clutching the edge of your seat. There is pathos, violence, passion and some stomach churning moments. It left me breathless and I can't wait for number three.
Liv Loftus
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book, one of those you just cant put down! Really good writing, how the stories interlock with each other and keep you guessing form one chapter to the next.
Aseeli
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then there comes a book that is so good you simply can't put it down. Both The Sons of Thestian which was the first book in The Harmatia Cycle and Blood of the Delphi did that for me. I will say that I did receive a free copy in return for an honest review but this book was honestly perfect.

Vaughan, again, did an excellent job of building on this complex world she created without making it overwhelming. Blood of The Delphi gave us a closer look at the politics of Mag Mell, the var
Rebecca Boscaljon
I finished this book in about three days (probably would have finished it sooner if real life hadn’t interfered). I was so excited for this sequel to Sons of Thestian and it did not disappoint. Once again the characters are written wonderfully and the character development is fantastic (I had to remind myself on several occasions that none of the characters were real and that this wasn’t real life). There is a lot going on in this book but it all weaves together wonderfully to create an intricat ...more
Amelia Mackenzie
Blood of the Delphi is astounding - it blows Sons of Thestian out of the water. It's everything a sequel needs to be: keeping all the charm of the original book, while expanding on everything in new and brilliant ways. Old characters are developed further, to the point where even some loathed villains become sympathetic. The plot explodes beyond anything from the first book, and we get to see even more of the world of Mag Mell.

If you read Sons of Thestian and the ending left you wanting more, I
Danielle
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review Coming Soon.
Rickus Bookshelf
This book absolutely killed me. I love it, and it will most likely be one of my favourite, if not THE favourite book of 2017. Full review can be found here: https://rickusbookshelf.wordpress.com...
Leon
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll start off by saying that after the way the first book ended, I was unsure what to expect from this book. I wasn't expecting the time jump, which can be quite difficult to work with as I feel you can lose the reader's engagement with the story and leave them confused. However, this book is a good example of how to work with a time jump and still keep the reader interested and eager to find out what's been going on.

I found that I was briefly thrown by the time jump, but because of the instant
Reese
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I started reading the Harmatia Cycle because I was craving a mythical storytelling.

This series certainly offer that to you. I am doing a combined review of both books at once.

In the first book, it was interesting yet at the same time, wearying since everyone wanted to die for literally everyone else. That narrative got very repetitive up till the end.

For the second book, the storyline dragged out quite a bit. Rufus’ angst along with Zachary’s “I don’t care about you” demeanour starts to grate
Stephanie Smith
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was even better then the first! I almost rated 5 stars but I just can’t get over the poor editing. Missing words, misspellings and incorrect punctuation made the fast moving story and spiderweb of characters confusing at times
Dionaea
Not a very good stand-alone but I'm reasonably sure that I'm supposed to read the first book before starting this. I had a hard time connecting to the characters that weren't Rufus and Joshua. Even with the glossary provided, I had trouble keeping track of who's who and their relationship with everyone else.
Mogy
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I'm a little bit broken right now... I'm not sure how I'm supposed to wait to find out what's gonna happen.. HOW CAN YOU LEAVE IT LIKE THAT? I can't vent my feelings without giving things away... *Broken squee* Poor little characters... You're in for a roller coater
Tiina
Jan 30, 2018
Sophie
Apr 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madeleine E. Vaughan is an Anglo-French author from the United Kingdom. Head writer and founding member of the Hampshire-based gaming studio Enigmatic Studios, she writes full-time and lectures in Creative Writing at the University of Winchester.

A keen lover of mythology, Madeleine’s nomadic upbringing has brought her in contact with a wide collection of cultures and folklore, which have strongly

The Harmatia Cycle (2 books)
  • The Sons of Thestian (The Harmatia Cycle, #1)
“There, there, it is but a story," she comforted sadly. "Like all dead people become.” 0 likes