Start by marking “Jessica Jones, Vol. 1: Uncaged!” as Want to Read:
Jessica Jones, Vol. 1: Uncaged!

Jessica Jones, Vol. 1: Uncaged!

(Jessica Jones (2016) #1)

After a decade, Jessica Jones is back in her own solo series! A lot has changed in the Marvel Universe and there are many secrets hiding in the shadows - secrets only a special woman like Jessica Jones can hope to uncover. Alias Investigations is open for business, and of all the many mysteries to discover, her new case may be the most dangerous one! This blistering new se ...more
Published May 23rd 2017 by Marvel (first published May 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Jessica Jones, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessica Jones, Vol. 1

HFK
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
I read Pulse a few months ago, just to make sure I would not miss anything important when Jessica Jones experienced a resurrection. I am not sure if it is something to do, but I think I had a better connection and emotional awareness due to this choice, which really gave some meat around the certain scene-bones.

I was never big on Jessica Jones, but I really enjoyed following her story arcs and there was always this desire to keep going with the new volumes. I think I did not experience such a hu
Sam Quixote
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
So after reading this book I can confidently say I don’t give a fudgey-fudge about Jessica Jones!

JJ’s in prison for some reason! Her marriage to Luke Cage is on the skids and she’s hidden her baby with her ma for some reason! Intrigue? Mystery? Snores!

As I’ve only read the first JJ book, Alias, way back when (it centred around a VHS tape that revealed Steve Rogers was Captain America - yeah, it was a loooong time ago!), I wondered if I’d missed a bunch of stuff which explained why she was in th
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5-4 stars!

Ask anyone, I am complete trash for Jessica Jones. I love that character and will read/watch just about anything she is in. When a coworker told me Bendis had written more, I requested it from the library and then impatiently waited until it was in my hands.

The mystery of this one with the client and her dilemma was boring to me, hence 3.5-4 stars. Also I skimmed some psychobabble tangents so this wasn't my favorite. But considering I dnf'd 4 books before this one, I call it a win
Paul E. Morph
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
There are some good ideas in here but it suffers too much from being a square peg in a round hole. I'm a great believer in the old adage that your story should grow from your characters; you shouldn't take a group of characters and maul them artificially until they fit your story. It feels false to the reader. Still, as I say, there were some great moments here, despite its faults.
David Schaafsma
I read Bendis and Gaydos’s original dark Alias series about Jessica Jones, former superhero, her life on the skids, trying to dig out of the hole she is in, working as a P.I. Compared to all the typical superhero stuff Bendis was doing, I liked this a great deal, liked that dark noir-ish edge, something like what Ed Brubaker brings to superhero comics: brooding and angst. Literary fiction comes to comics.

Then comes the successful Netflix series Jessica Jones, with the corresponding cry for her
Artemy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, marvel
Sadly, Bendis couldn't live up to the greatness of Alias with this new Jessica Jones series. The original comic was a masterpiece, one of the best works by Bendis along with Daredevil and Scarlet. Unfortunately, this one feels like a stupid cash grab. Where Alias was a deeply personal and disturbing story of Jessica's past, JJ: Uncaged is an unnecessary and heavy-handed commentary on the state of the Marvel Universe right now. And yes, the original series was in-continuity, too, but it didn't de ...more
Chad
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The original creative team from Alias is back with a new Jessica Jones book. Unfortunately it's not as good. Jessica has just gotten out of jail and hidden her daughter from Luke. We don't really find out what's going on for half the book and we don't ever find out what happened between Jessica and Luke in the first place. The rest of the book has to do with Civil War II and Secret Wars.

The Good: Anytime Bendis writes Jessica Jones is a good thing.

The Bad: I don't like this right turn into the
James DeSantis
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Jessica Jones is back! The original team is on board! Woot woot! This has to be amazing right? Well it's been years, and Bendis has written many many MANY comics over the years. Some not loved by the comic community (X-men in particular) but I've always been a fan of most of his work. Even at his worst I still say he's decent. However I read Alias last year and LOVED it so I decided to give this a try? Results? mixed!

What I liked: Love the original's artwork returning. Loved the fact they want
Sesana
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Not quite as good as Alias had been, and I'm not sure I'm totally into the direction the story is going. But still a bit more than merely decent.
Scott S.
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm so glad Jessica Jones is back in action, having really enjoyed reading her excellent four-volume Alias private eye series (which featured the same writing / artist team) back in December 2017.

However, Uncaged was not quite on the same level as those earlier books. There were some prior developments in her usually-messy personal life which were not particularly well-explained, and her investigation in this volume did not take center stage and seemed like an afterthought.

There were two brief b
Melania 🍒
3,4/5

I genuinely didn’t expect to enjoy being with Jessica Jones again so much. Especially the art (after reading The Powers for months) is really nice . I must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that she’s not with Nick anymore, I think they are really good for each other ,but I’m intrigued about what happened with the two of them.

Brendan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not a huge marvel fan but after watching the Jessica Jones Tv show I knew this character was interesting, much like The Punisher. This story is quite good but the underlining investigation is the one we really want to know about. The problem with jumping into a series is the holes that are everywhere, I have no idea what went on before. I liked the tone Bendis set and while the artwork was good, it tried way too hard to have that distinct noir style. I will continue with this series and hope ...more
ellie ♡
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
all the stars 💜

i really love jessica jones as a “hero” because she’s a real human who has flaws and faults and makes mistakes but still tries to do her best, even when she acts like she could care less about anything and everything. i’m really impressed that krysten ritter managed to portray jessica very well in the netflix show! i’m very eager to reading the next installment (and watching season 2 when it comes out soon!)
C.E. Case
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's not great, and it's confusing to someone who hasn't read Civil War II (which I haven't). But it's nice. It's snarky and depressed Jessica and it's total Bechdel-passing. I'm glad it's here. I'll keep reading.
Cyndi
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
If, like me, you start reading this thinking it will be anything like the netflix series, you’d be wrong. Although it is a good story and the art is good, you need to follow the universe involved to truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I’m behind and therefore got lost a few times. 🤷🏼♀ A bit of background refresher would have been useful. ...more
Dan
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This tried to capture the look at feel of the original mini, but it was just okay. If you do not keep up with the events of the Marvel U...you may be lost trying to guess what is going on in this.
Fables&Wren
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

As a huge fan of the shows, this wasn't half bad.

I loved that the Avengers were in this, especially Captain Marvel. Apparently our girls are best friends forever, through thick, thin and richer and poorer, locked up and freed... you get the idea.

It's interesting to see a superhero with a child too. I look forward to seeing more of that.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram
Omar
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5****
Wow. This is so much more complex than I thought it would be. I finally find a story that delves into the human side of these heroes. It shows the effects of their actions, their family issues and the truth.
The covers are really stunning and if the story keeps heading the way I think it is, Bendis is doing one hell of a job.
Perry Gough
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Was pretty ok love the art work, the original series is better although the cameos this time round are better.
Dave
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jones is apparently an ex-superhero now working as a private eye in a world at the fringes of superherodom. More comic book than graphic novel. Story got lost somewhere along the line. Bottom line: didn't work for me.
Molly
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars not because it wasn't a great, well-told volume, but because the end is just so damn sad. C'mon, Marvel, can't Jessica Jones catch a break? Just once? Maybe in volume two... sigh.
Brian Poole
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The creators of Jessica Jones return to the heroine after several years and bring her back to her hardscrabble roots in Uncaged.

At the outset, Jessica is close to rock bottom. She’s languishing in a high security jail. She’s had a rupture with husband Luke Cage and has stashed their infant daughter somewhere Luke can’t find her. Jessica’s unexpected release has her back plying her trade as a low rent private investigator. She tackles a case of a woman whose husband claims to be extradimensional.
Basma
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this and I love the coloring in this volume.
Frédéric
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Some good points, I really do like Jessica but the main plot was kinda phony.

Released from jail for we-don't-know-what Jessica tries to get her life back. This should prove difficult since she somehow got most of the super hero community against her.
Oh, and she apparently "kidnapped" her own daughter, which Luke doesn't fare well with.

So Bendis does his thing: mysterious beginnings that unveils slooowly, long dialogues, with a knack for characters you root for. No problem with that.

But as I sai
Javier Muñoz
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, comic-hc
Bendis, gaydos, Jessica Jones... poco más hay que decir, pero bueno algo contaré.

Bendis no es ni mucho menos mi guionista favorito, pero en cómics como este marca un nivel muy alto... en este primer arco de la nueva serie, Bendis cuenta con Michael Gaydos al dibujo para recuperar el sabor de la serie original Alias, ya un clásico, en lo que me parece una decisión muy acertada. Aquí volvemos a tener a una Jessica Jones recién salida de la carcel y enfangada en sus problemas personales al tiempo q
Lydia
I feel like ... I missed a prequel, or something?

I had lots of questions. I enjoyed the art style a lot and while I thought the writing of Jessica was consistent, her characterisation was not my favourite. It sounds funny but in my head, she swears a lot, and in this comic, purely because of the censors around the genre, I guess she couldn't?

I liked it and it was an easy read but it just didn't really jive with me, Iunno.

I feel like I should read more but I don't know if I should go forward or
Melissa
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this to read as part of my recovery for a surgery I was getting. I just finished the Defenders and Jessica Jones on Netflix. I was interested in reading more Jessica jones. The graphic novel was pretty short. I finished it less than a day.It did leave me wanting to read more. That is always the sign of a good graphic novel. highly recommended if your a fan of the Netflix series.
Ernest
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It took my awhile to get used to the art style, but it actually does work within this volume. There is less a focus on Jessica Jones as a standalone character and instead the story is placed within the framework of the larger Marvel universe. I normally like it and while it generally was ok here, I do wonder whether a more detailed focus on Jessica Jones would have resulted in a stronger volume.
Tar Buendía
Buen comienzo aunque un poco falto de chispa. La gente es como todo el rato muy intensa porque sí. En especial Misty.
DJ
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 not quite as good as Alias.

Jessica Jones (2016) (3 books)
  • Jessica Jones, Vol. 2: The Secrets of Maria Hill