Start by marking “Champions, Volume 1: Change the World” as Want to Read:
Champions, Volume 1: Change the World

Champions, Volume 1: Change the World

(Champions (2016) (Collected Editions) #1)

One of the great team names in Marvel history returns, in incredible new fashion! During the fallout of Civil War II, Ms. Marvel, Nova and Spider-Man quit the Avengers and strike out on their own! With Viv Vision and the Totally Awesome Hulk by their side, these young heroes are determined to change the world their own way - and they're only the beginning! It starts as an ...more
Published May 16th 2017 by Marvel (first published May 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Champions, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Champions, Volume 1

Paul E. Morph
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really, really like this book! It's fun, has a big heart and features a lot of my favourite Marvel characters. The only downsides to it for me are (a) the way Mark Waid writes the Hulk as a bit of a dumbass (he's supposed to be one of the smartest people on the planet but you'd never know that from this book) and (b) the artwork. I've never really liked Ramos' work, but it's a personal taste thing so don't let it put you off reading this; it's a blast!
Chad
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the wake of Civil War II, the young heroes of the MU are fed up with the adults leaving devastation behind after one of their battles. It's always been one of my gripes too. I always wonder why New Yorkers especially don't hate superheroes and supervillains alike. I mean even if you did stop Dr. Octopus, you're still the a-hole who threw my car at him. Behind Ms. Marvel's direction, they decide to become more socially conscious, taking on racism, human trafficking, etc. The book is drawn by H ...more
James DeSantis
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really had a good time reading this. It's aimed for the younger group, and sometimes I don't like it all, but it had a lot of my favorite younger superheroes so let's talk about what worked and didn't work.

What I liked: I really loved the art in this. I believe this is the guy who did the art on Big Time for Spider-man run. So enjoyed that. I also really loved the character interactions with each other. I thought them handling situations such as racism, human trafficing, and oversea political
Wing Kee
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...I love Kamala, ...I love Miles...but this is so bad...what happened Waid???!!!

World: The art is okay, I didn't really like the colors and I felt the art to be a bit to jagged for my taste but it was aight. The world building is good, this is the best part of the book the team coming together, the team dynamic, the world at large, it's solid and presents a clear follow up to Civil War II. It's good.

Story: Argh...this is where the wheel literally fall off the book. The characters are mostly fin
Jenny
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*****3.5*****
I got this for free from Amazon when I ordered Archie: Volumes 3 and 4. I selected this title because I like the Avengers movies, and this cover reminded me of those movies. I've read a few graphic novels but never any superhero comics until Watchmen and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1, Alan Moore's non-traditional superhero stories. I've watched a good deal of Marvel movie adaptations and enjoyed them, so I figured, "Why not?" I didn't really know what Champions was a
Chris
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Champions, a successful blend of youthful vigor and colourful heroics, sadly embittered by inconsistent handling of real-world issues and a needless Gwenpool cameo.
Tom Ewing
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mark Waid is in full hey-there-fellow-kids mode in this first volume of Champions, a well-meaning but awkward comic whose premise - teen superheroes set out to change the world - is not well-served by a series of done-in-one morality play storylines. Two of the comics here - the one set in fake-Pakistan and the one about a sheriff with a sideline in hate crimes (because he's just SO BAD that the enormous institutional power of the carceral state isn't enough for him, he's gotta start bombing mos ...more
Denise Malta
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Someone said "This could be a good comic but it's being wasted on social justice". What?! How is taking a group of diverse teenage superheroes (that makes it possible for readers of any age, who would usually not feel represented, feel like they have these amazing characters to look up to) and showing how messed up and unfair the world really is and how we CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT (it's in the title) a waste?
This comic book does indeed deal with social (in)justice: racism, homophobia, bullying,
Scott
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's pleasing when all the necessary stuff falls together, while gently breaking some traditions, to make a damned good superhero book.

Ms. Marvel (my favorite new character - a great addition to the Marvel roster), Nova, and Spider-Man decide to ditch the wrecking-ball Avengers, recruit Hulk and Viv Vision, and form a new group. Cyclops, who knows a thing or two about leading a young adult team, amusingly crashes their party not quite half-way through.

These meddling kids (ha!) are all about 'bu
Sesana
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
The morality plays can be a bit heavy-handed, but I like the selection of characters, and I like the team interactions.
Joe Young
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Mark Waid - writer
Humberto Ramos - illustrator

Somewhat of a mixed-bag, but in the end the highs outnumber the lows. The writing by Waid is a little hokey, particularly the characterization of Ms. Marvel. I'm not sure if anybody besides G. Willow Wilson can write her in a believable way, but in Champions she comes across like a 35-year-old actuarial, not the fun and relatable teen we see in Ms. Marvel. The art by Ramos is at times stunning, and at times grotesque. My main complaints being the Sha
Murphy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: marvel, one-star, reviewed
Thanks, but I hate this. These issues contain great messages and characters, however the way their interactions are being written is insufferable.

Poor Amadeus has definitely gotten the worst of the bad characterization. All his obnoxious qualities were pumped up to an eleven while his better ones, including strategic and emotional intelligence, have gone largely ignored so he can fit the unneeded trope of the guy who starts unnecessary trouble.

I haven't read as many comics centering on the other
Wing Kee
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Goodreads lost my review....

World: The art is good, it's full of personality which is important to me in a team book. The world building was also solid, I like this new team the dynamic makes for good potential banter.

Story: It's okay, it's not peak Waid but it's okay. I did find the story a bit heavy handed and naive in terms of the story, the conflict and how it was resolved. I know I'm not the target audience but I feel the target audience isn't stupid and more depth and motivation in the to
Richard
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-18
I like this series okay so far. The Atlantis adventure was kind of dumb, and there doesn't seem to be enough foreshadowing overall - stuff just happens - but these are characters I'm not terribly familiar with (except Ms Marvel and Cyclops), so maybe I'm just missing something.
I do love the team's focus on positive change rather than "punching down," so I've added an extra star.
TJ
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was fun, and there’s some really important themes throughout the issues! Not the most fantastic book I’ve read lately, but I’m always down for a young adult team, and the diversity here is really awesome. 4/5 stars.
Gary Butler
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
36th book read in 2018.

Number 196 out of 696 on my all time book list.

Very current and funny.
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
Interesting team up that I am def a fan of. :)
Shane
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. A story of kids who are tired of seeing the world as it is and step up to make a difference in it. They have learned from their predecessors and are trying their best to change the world in the most moral way they can. "Sometimes there's just nothing to hit." These kids are changing the world not as super heroes but as activists; with words instead of fists (but sometimes a few fists too).

The writers brought along a wonderful group of characters, smart, witty, motivated...and
Travis Duke
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A new team which is cool but the fact they take on some pretty serious social issues felt a little off balance. I like the team it is fresh and they have a decent reason to form up it is clear it is meant for new readers and they even introduce their powers. Ms Marvel, (new) hulk, nova, miles morales, Viv, and (young) cyclops all want a fresh start and all have strong personalities so Waid succeeds there. The problem I had was Waid took a sharp turn and had the team deal with some serious issues ...more
Justin
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While I tend to gravitate toward the less mainstream heroes for both Marvel and DC, I generally avoid the teen heroes, since I've always assumed their books are aimed at a younger audience. But I'd heard so much positive buzz about Champions, both from friends and online, that I decided to finally give it a chance. And while there are times Champions does feel like it's trying to speak directly to kids, it's definitely no Saturday morning cartoon show.

Volume 1 has the team tackling some pretty u
Geppis Baltimore
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When three teen superheroes find themselves without a super team to call home, they create a family. Champions tell the story for six heroes who come together to be the good they want to see in the world. After leaving the Avengers, Nova, Ms. Marvel, and Spider-Man decide to start their own team. After recruiting the Hulk and Viv, daughter of The Vision, the Champions start to campaign for everything that is right. A time displaced Cyclops joins soon afterward. This is the Teen Titans/New Mutant ...more
Scott Lee
So more stars than not, by a little. Cool characters, interesting take on a "young avengers" style team without being called "Young Avengers" as every character is a legacy character--the new hulk, miles Morales, Ms. Marvel, the current nova, Viv Vision, etc. Hell, they even threw in young Cyclops and Gwenpool just to make sure no classic heroes or hero families were left out--although there's no Fantastic Four representative here.

My frustration is with the didactic nature of the conflicts thes
Julia
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Ms. Marvel is just one of the teenage no longer Avengers who are trying to help in this. They rescue three miners trapped in a Kentucky mine, teenage girls in Baltimore harbor held by a human trafficker in a container ship, and girls and women in a South Asian country who have been terrorized by an AQ/ IS-type group for working to be educated. But the women there take the lead in their own rescue.

Their airship is shot down by Atlanteans and Gwenpool appears to help them fight a racist sheriff,
Jenna
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun start to a series but I’m not quite sure about how they’re differentiating how the Champions beat up soldiers and Atlanteans using their powers, and how the Avengers beat up those with and without powers. Is it the level of damage or injury taken?

Otherwise, it was still entertaining but wish we had had more time with the Champions before more and more people joined in. I have always been a fan of Cyclops ever since watching the cartoon growing up, but he looks about 10 in this drawing sty
C. Varn
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

This is a fun title aimed at younger teens. You definitely see Marvel continuing to move away from the edgy titles that defined them, and, unlike some of the classic characters, it doesn't track to movie universe either. The character motivations to split with the Avengers to focus on smaller scale and less destructive heroism is interesting but also feels a little forced; however, once you get past that, Mark Waid is doing a good job a good teen team book.
orangerful
Well, that was fun! I picked this up because I love Ms. Marvel so when I saw her on the cover, I knew I had to read it. Even though it does tie into some story lines I am not familiar with (time traveling Cyclops clone? Who/what exactly is Gwenpool??) I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next trade!
Danielle
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun introduction to a new group - I'm not familiar with most of the members, so I'll be catching up there. This wasn't anything crazy, but it's like what people say about the big Avengers movies - the crossovers are never the best part.

Looking forward to learning more about these young revolutionaries.
Tim
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This got a strong emotional response from me. That hasn't happened in awhile. I'm all in for this series.
Amber
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star read for me, except the art is just okay. The proportions are off on the legs and sometimes the hands.
Andrew
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was fun. youthful. and i like mark waid. arts not that great, but it works for the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Invincible Iron Man: Ironheart, Volume 1: Riri Williams
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland
  • All-New Inhumans, Volume 1: Global Outreach
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 2: Don't Stop Me-Ow
  • Black Panther, Book 4: Avengers of the New World, Part One
  • The Twelve, Volume 1
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.

Champions (2016) (Collected Editions) (5 books)
  • Champions, Volume 2: The Freelancer Lifestyle