Start by marking “The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince” as Want to Read:
The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince

The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince

At the one-year anniversary of his death, legendary musician Prince's first wife shares a uniquely intimate, candid, and revelatory look inside the personal and professional life of one of the world's most beloved icons.

In The Most Beautiful, a title inspired by the hit song Prince wrote about their legendary love story, Mayte Garcia for the first time shares the deeply
Published April 4th 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about The Most Beautiful, please sign up.
Joni Rodgers I hope you'll read the book before you decide. It's written with enormous love and respect for him.…moreI hope you'll read the book before you decide. It's written with enormous love and respect for him. (less)
Ann Moody Not at all, but my situation was unique. . . I was married to a Prince superfan at the time he was with Mayte and after their divorce. My spouse later…moreNot at all, but my situation was unique. . . I was married to a Prince superfan at the time he was with Mayte and after their divorce. My spouse later expressed concern that Prince's close friend and spiritual mentor was "messing him up" and Mayte's view from the inside was obviously that this was the case.

With the exception of the drug abuse problems which were well-hidden under Prince's clean living claims, this book simply underlined everything I already knew or suspected about him. And good for her for selling it. Prince had no problem selling the stories of his women within his music and certainly did not pay them for it.(less)

Start your review of The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
So I have to be honest here. Going into this book I had a preconceived notion that Mayte Garcia was only writing this book to capitalize on Prince's death and to taint his legacy in some way because anyone who knows anything about him knows he never would have allowed this book to come out if he were still alive. After quickly devouring this book and actually being sad to see it end, I can honestly say I think I was pretty much totally wrong.

"The Most Beautiful" really isn't a book about Prince.
Erin
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If this book has taught me one thing, its that as much as I love Prince's music I could never in a million years have been married to him. Prince was hard work. His own wife didn't have his phone number. Mayte Garcia paints a vivid picture of the late great rock star's weird and lonely world.

I highly recommend it.
Chrissie
One need not be a fan of Mayte Garcia or Prince to enjoy this book. I was not a fan of either before I picked up the book, and you see by my favorable rating that I have liked it a lot. I have no difficulty figuring out why I have liked it so much. Mayte, Prince’s first wife, dares to express her emotions. She speaks from her heart. She lays bare both the joy and happiness she shared with Prince and her anger, sorrow and grief concerning his dalliances with other women and his death in 2016.

She
Amy Loveridge
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
*No Spoilers*
I was lucky enough to be given an early copy of this book to read. I expected Mayté to write a book that lacked a lot of personal details of her life with Prince or made Prince look bad in any fashion. This book is very honest, raw, heartbreaking, and even funny at points. I appreciate Mayté's honesty and generously giving the reader a glimpse into some very personal moments in her life. If you are a Prince fan, this book will not disappoint.
Edgar Amaya
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written, heartfelt and honest experience. Mayte answered so many questions I've had and also kept several matters private. I went to her dance class in New York, I was afraid of how this book might change my perception of her. I'm glad to say I love her all the more.
Camille
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok so strange enough, i am a bigger fan of Mayte than I was of Prince.

I loved her spirit on VH1 and unlike a lot of the other shows, the one in which she was featured was more uplifting then dramatic.

Mayte's portrayal of Prine was tasteful and truly unique to her experiences.

Great job.
Valisa Harris
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
"I hear his voice in my heart, and I know as surely as I know my name that I will see my love again."
As a huge fan of Prince I was very excited to get my hands on Mayte's book. It's safe to say we all know somewhat about the artist Prince, however, the man Prince was often secret and kept out of the public eye. Mayte's book was going to give the reader an eyewitness account of the artist we loved. My hopes were high for this book, but unfortunately Mayte didn't deliver what I wanted. The title
James Hartley
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up in the airport the other day and read it on the flight home from London. Id recommend it to anyone who has any interest in Prince, his life and music. Im a Prince freak but its the first time Ive felt able to get a glimpse into his world: most of the existing musical biographies out there are over-written or suffer from being the point of view of someone with their nose squished up against the Paisley Park glass but unable to get in. This one is very much from the inside.
The
Orsayor
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I have to be honest and say I was on the fence when it came to purchasing this book. It didn't have anything to do with Mayte personally but I have been disappointed in the past when it came to celebrity books. I won't say any names. Ok... I will whisper the name to you.

Remembering Whitney by Cissy Houston

Back to Mayte...

I watched Hollywood Exes on VH-1 and I knew Mayte was holding back when it came to Prince. I don't blame her because we know Prince + his money could make

Annie
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-faves
WOW JUST WOW...As I sit here letting this story sink in, the tears are just streaming down my face..I have ugly cried, and straight up sobbed off and on during this whole wonderful story. What I love about a good memoir is it reads almost like fiction...and then you remember, Oh my this really happened! Mayte Garcia, you just made me a new fan for life!

Oh Goodness, I feel like I have so much to say...first off, if you are thinking this is a book about Prince's life, you are mistaken..although he
Anne ✨
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful and good person inside and out that Mayte Garcia is. Her book is honest, tender, heartbreaking, funny. She narrated it so well too, I was right along with her... ...more
Lynx
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By the time Mayte Garcia was 16 she’d had her whole future planned out. Belly dancing professionally since she was just 3 years old, Mayte knew she belonged in Cairo where all the great belly dancers perform. But when her family decided to catch a Prince show while on vacation… all of that changed. Encouraged by her family, Mayte sought out the tour, with a video of her dancing in hand with the hopes that she could get it to Prince. She succeeded of course, which led to a deep friendship and a ...more
Andre
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, I am a huge Prince fan, so my review may be a little biased. Honestly, I think Mayte served up what she promised. If you are looking for intimate and salacious details about Prince’s life, this is not that book. She keeps the focus on the bond between her and Prince. Right from the start, she states, "The story I'm about to tell you now is the story I'll tell Gia someday: the story of my life with Prince and my life without him, the career I forged before we met, my struggle ...more
Tracy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It helped me understand a lot about them both. Usually, I take the "David Ruffin" approach to rock stars-I love you onstage, could careless about your private life. But this gave me insight not only into Mayte but Prince, her pre-Prince career, his wooing and everything in between and after. She was a little spicy about Manuela, but in the same situation, I would feel the same. Cliched writing in the beginning, a bit wordy towards the end. It's not going to win awards but it held my interest.
Jessica
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was such a beautiful book. I love a good biography and this was one of my favorites I've ever read.

I'm a lifelong Prince fan and getting these insights into his life and love just made me love him even more. It was written by someone who truly seems to have loved him completely and that just made it so special and personal.
Lani
Caution: Do not read or listen to if you have Prince on a pedestal you don't want him knocked from.
This will change how you see him in a video or hear his music from now on.

I have always been a fan of Prince, now I realize I am only a fan of his music and not the person I used to be infatuated with as a little girl. After listening to this auto-book, I am now a fan of Mayte Garcia.

I think I connected with her because we are the same age and went through a lot of the same 80's and 90's pop
Valerity (Val)
This is one of the several books I managed to read by solar lights during the recent multi-day power outage after Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irma made her way through our state. By far it's my favorite of the books I read though, a real love story. Although we know it doesn't end well it's still quite romantic as it goes along, even if it is quite heartbreaking and there were boatloads of tears at times, it just had to be read. Even more romantic than imagined, incredibly so. And yet...well you ...more
Georgette
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking, beautiful, and at times, very funny book. You can tell she loved the man and still loves the man. I was worried this would be some sordid or strange tell it all. it was the opposite..she tells enough (more, actually) than I thought she would, but she also keeps some things private. There were only a few things that gave me great pause and heartache, and those were not unexpected. If I liked her before, I love her now.
Michael
I am probably one of the few people who never listened to Prince music. Besides his notable songs such as When Doves Cry, Call My Name, Purple Rain to name a few, he never really stood out to me. I know that he was a very compelling artist who was very intriguing and introspective. Very private in nature, he was one that many boasted about such as talent wise. However, his music never stood out to me significantly..I know that is blasphemous to some people but I am being honest.

Regarding the
LuvGirl
Apr 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: prince
Disappointed in the vague accusations without solid confirmation. Disappointed in the release date on the heels of the anniversary of his death. Disappointed in the author's friend social media attacks in defense of this book. I could not in good conscience and my admiration for Prince, support it. Returned for refund.
J Beckett
Give me a moment to interpret what The Most Beautiful... really is. I am trying to determine how I felt about this book. Can't criticize Mayte's experience as Prince's wife, but ...

Look for full review. Coming shortly.
Paganalexandria
Possibly too much of a Prince fan, and watched to much of Mayte's reality show "Hollywood Exes". A lot of this I already heard whispers about. It did give some added insight into the implosion of the relationship. It was pretty tame as far as tell-alls go. It speaks well of her character that she held a lot back. It was telling that their courtship did mirror things read on websites over the years about how he operates with women. This basically confirmed questionable tea. Dance fans like myself ...more
Alicen
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried and laughed. What more could one want from a book? A must-read for any Prince fan.
L.
Feb 10, 2019 added it
this is a story of living with a genius - the ups are truly up, the downs are unbearable, but it is impossible to ever stop loving the brilliant mind.

this book is extremely important to me for obvious reasons, but i am not conceited enough to assess someone's memories.
Meg
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I honestly have no words for how beautiful this memoir was, it is truly called The Most Beautiful because I truly believe there could not be a more beautiful story of Mayte and Prince's life together and apart. I fell in love with the both of them while reading about their story. I believe Mayte is someone who should be celebrated for her goddess like strength and beauty in every sense of the word. I have not been so moved by a memoir in a very long time. Thank you Mayte for giving readers a ...more
Eric
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a heartfelt, love-story about a woman who knew Prince more intimately than probably any person on earth. I became a Prince fan around 89-91, and became really interested in his music and life around 93-94, just around the time he was becoming romantically involved with Mayte. It's also the time he became more open to media interaction, so this formerly enigmatic star started to open up, and I chewed it all up. I knew basics about what happened in their personal lives, particularly ...more
Alexis Blackmon
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. No words can describe the level of respect I have for Mayte now. She really is living proof of the strength and resilience women have and after reading this book, I really just want to give her a hug.

When Mayte and Prince were courting and got married, I wasn't even born yet. I know Prince through the many Saturday morning house cleanings my parents hosted, blasting 'Kiss' and 'When Doves Cry' all over the house. So really, my first encounter with his personal life was the little
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Most Beautiful Book

There are people out there that say how disrespectful it was to write this book, but I think it is the people who chose not to read it. That is their right just as it was Mayte's right to write it. This story is the best one I have ever read out of all the books I have about Prince.
I want to take a moment to say thank you to Mayte. Thank you for sharing a part of your life that would be especially challenging for others to write. Writing about personal details are very
Aղցela W.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 300-400pg, library
I borrowed this book from the Los Angeles County library. I have been a Prince fan since the early 80's I have seen him in concert about four times over the years and each time it was amazing. When I got this book I had mixed emotions about reading it I thought that Mayte was cashing in his death, but that was not the case. Mayte went through a lot with him first his controlling nature and the death of his child. They started when she was a dancer in NPG and how he controlled what she ate then ...more
La'Tonya Rease Miles
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
according to Mayte, she was just a ballerina who fell in love with a rock star. And that rock star happened to be one of the greatest musicians of all time. Like many hardcore fans I suspect, I was hesitant to read this book. Not sure why. Maybe I was just a hater. But I feel like I am a better HUMAN BEING for having read it. Garcia really taps into the humanity of the story. After all, she had her own dreams and aspirations as a dancer/artist, and those dreams led her path to intersect with ...more
*Best Sellers* Bo...: The Most Beautiful (book about Prince) 1 2 Nov 21, 2018 07:08AM
Thankfully 2 12 May 21, 2017 04:09PM

• Paul Is Undead: The British Zombie Invasion
  • Prince: Stories from the Purple Underground
  • A Sick Life: TLC 'n Me: Stories from On and Off the Stage
  • Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard on You?: A Memoir
Mayte Garcia is an internationally acclaimed American dancer, actress, singer, and choreographer. Garcia was born on a military base in Alabama (due to her father’s military career) and is of Puerto Rican ancestry. She has appeared in numerous films, various television series and starred in the VH1 reality series Hollywood Exes.

From 1992 to 1996, she was a featured dancer and background singer
“Bottom line: you never ever saw him looking wrong. Knowing this, I felt a cold shiver down my spine when I read in the Minneapolis StarTribune that when his body was found in the elevator at Paisley Park, "Prince was wearing a black shirt and pants - both were on backward - and his socks were inside out."

This made no sense to me. The sheer irony of it broke my heart all over again.”
7 likes
“I didn't process it then, but I look back now in awe that this man wearing eyeliner, heels, and ladies’ perfume somehow managed to be more masculine than the burly bodyguard.” 4 likes