Start by marking “Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)

Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  2,028 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews
All the women in Iris and Malina’s family have the unique magical ability or “gleam” to manipulate beauty. Iris sees flowers as fractals and turns her kaleidoscope visions into glasswork, while Malina interprets moods as music. But their mother has strict rules to keep their gifts a secret, even in their secluded sea-side town. Iris and Malina are not allowed to share thei ...more
Published August 15th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Like a Wildfire, please sign up.
Agnik The author confirmed that this series : Hibiscus Daughter, will be a duology. The second book will be titled 'Fierce Like A Firestorm' and will come…moreThe author confirmed that this series : Hibiscus Daughter, will be a duology. The second book will be titled 'Fierce Like A Firestorm' and will come out in Summer 2018.
Hope I helped :)(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renee AhdiehCaraval by Stephanie Garber
YA Novels of 2017
1,068 books — 7,238 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,521 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
In some ways, I feel like I'm being generous. I'm upping my rating to two stars, and yet this book was so painfully slow and boring.

I've mostly been reading it during the day whilst on vacation so I'm neither tired nor grumpy, but I could feel my eyes trying to close as they moved through the pages of snoozeworthy text. It just goes to show that having beautiful, poetic writing and an exciting setting in Montenegro cannot make up for a plot that takes forever to go anywhere.

On the other hand, I
Roshani Chokshi
Update: Just finished and WOW! I am so enchanted. Imagine "Practical Magic" if Guillermo del Toro had directed it. This is the blurb I gave, and I stand by it 100%:

"Wicked Like A Wildfire was like devouring a succulent fairy fruit—it will rob your time, settle into your dreams, and leave you starving for more."

***
That description...O_O

I'm so excited for this one!!!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a stunning book about the relationships between mothers and daughters, and sisters. The writing was utterly beautiful, and I've never read anything like it. The characters, especially the twins, were flawed and real. This is a great debut - keep your eye out for it next year!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale this week! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In Wicked Like a Wildfire (2017), magic and secrecy swirl around Iris and Malina, a pair of seventeen year old fraternal twins who live in current-day Montenegro with their single mother, Jasmina. Jasmina confides to them that all of the women in their family have a distinct gleam, a magical way to create and enhance beauty. Jasmina bakes marvelous foods that call particular visual scenes to the minds of those who eat them. Mal
Fables&Wren
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
WrensReads Review:

"If you love the cover, you'll love the book!"

Never judge a book by its cover. Especially when the cover is as beautiful as that with a perfect add-on of a title.

I was just bored.

There was a lot of fluffy and beautiful descriptions but not enough content for me. And the characters didn’t really seem to have actual relations. You know like you can call someone your best friend but are you actually best friends? You can say that you hate someone so much you would push them in f
Iryna (Book and Sword)
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
1.5/5 stars (DNF at page 215) (rounded down)

What's that saying?
"Don't judge a book by its cover."? Well it goes both ways. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful cover, but the novel itself? Not so much.

But let's start with the good stuff:
- The cover, obviously.
- This book will make you hungry will all of its desert descriptions. Like "so hungry can't stop drooling hungry!"
- This book made me want to buy myself flowers, many flowers.
- It also made me want to wear more perfume (which I mean, I'm all
Simona Bartolotta
I'm really, honestly tired of and terribly sorry for having to say this, especially when it's a book that offers such potential for diversity I'm talking about, but there's just no other way of putting it: good concept, poor execution.

Wicked Like a Wildfire is set in Cattaro, Montenegro, which is maybe its strongest asset and the thing about it that appealed to me the most. In the course of the book, the characters visit some characteristic places of the area for plot-related reasons (e.g., Ou

This was a YA paranormal/fantasy story about two sisters with special gifts.

I liked Iris and Malina, and I liked how much they supported each other, even when their mother seemed to favour Malina.

The storyline in this was about the two girls having magical gifts that their mother had warned them to keep hidden, Iris’ ability to make fractal patterns out of flowers, and Malina’s ability to sing emotions to p
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Your beauty is a force, you know, a power all its own. It can be both sword and shield for you, and win you anything you want.”

I love magical realism! Having read two really fantastic ones in the past month has reignited by love for this magically captivating genre. Wicked Like a Wildfire is an enchanting story of beauty, power, family, and love. Iris and Malina’s family has a history of manipulating or “gleaming” beauty into magical works of art. But their mother is adamant that they keep
Drew
Nov 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh my goodness. That synopsis actually made my heart pound.

All the women in Iris and Malina's family are born with a gleam—a unique way of manipulating beauty through magic.

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I'm judging so hard right now. "A bewitching duology about the power of love, death, magic, and the many faces of beauty"? Um, give it to me now, please.

To save each other, they must untangle a thousand years of lies and reveal their own hurtful secrets.

*dying*
Melanie

This was in the August 2017 FairyLoot box!
Laurie
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a dazzling visual feast (and a graphic or CGI artist's dream project). I could give this book 5 stars solely on that. Or for the simply stunning writing that graces practically every page (from the breathtaking descriptions of Montenegro that make me want to go there RIGHT NOW to the vivid/visceral portrayal of her protagonist's passionate inner life - as well as the artful rendering of the book's unique "gleam" magic). *SPOILER ALERT* But I am also giving this book 5 stars for the ...more
Irene△⃒⃘
2/5

I really don’t know where to start with this.
First things first. You have to like the writing style, otherwise this book will only turn out super boring and confusing.
And I’m definitely in the (very) confused category. I really didn’t like the style used. Everything is described so slowly and with smells and scents.
At the beginning it sounded very interesting but after a while it started to bore me to sleep.

I wanted a very cool magical mystery book but it’s super slow and the mystery is too.
T
☆☽Erica☾☆
Dec 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
I CANT WAIT FOR THIS
Jilly Gagnon
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in LOVE with this book.

I could not get enough of the stunning prose Popovic weaves around her characters, and scenery, like a subtle perfume, coloring every moment on the page with richness and beauty. As if that's not enough, the plot is incredibly engrossing and the characters all burst off the page, fully-formed, flawed, and fascinating.

At this point, I'm just salivating for book two. A must-read from 2017.
I honestly expected to love this book, fantasy is my favourite genre and I love magic so it seemed right up my street and then you throw in that gorgeous cover and of course I'm going to pick up a copy.

Unfortunately it just didn't work for me though. There's no denying that Lana Popović's writing is beautiful but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. There are pages upon pages of description, great when she's describing the Montenegro setting and the beautiful mountains, but it starts
Beth
Nov 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Putting this back on hold for a little bit, I don't know... I'm just not feeling it.
Sana
'Nothing was ever simple. There was no such thing as the one and only truth, and that too was a freedom in itself.'*

WTF was that ending?!

So. As much as I enjoyed reading Wicked Like a Wildfire, I have to say that I found the beginning tough to read because of the intense mother-daughter relationship to the point where they both slut-shamed each other. Um not entirely okay reading that. Moreover, it read very much like a debut and I wasn't too fond of the overt descriptive writing i.e.

'Above us
Norah Una Sumner
I just realized this is set in Montenegro.

description

Wassup neighbours?
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-release
Beautiful brilliant writing, with a fairytale feel to it. It was a sensory explosion and no detail was left out. What a wild ride - I couldn't get enough of it! Highly recommend!
Lana Popović
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book sounds like it was written by a very hungry person who walks around sniffing too many things. Idk, idk.
Kay Wisteria
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, love, sisters
When she was younger, Iris could see flowers and the rest of the world as flowers, could blow beautiful glass. All the women in her family have had this sort of gleam, the ability to manipulate beauty. Now that power is all but gone.

Working in her mother's bakery in a little sea side town, Iris detests her mother, the woman who forbid her from using her gift and from loving. The only things she really has going for her are her twin sister, Malina, and her best friend, Luka, who brings her flower
Lisa
May 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, arc
This is a case of where beautiful writing and an exotic setting cannot save a plot that refuses to move. I love the world-building and the build-up, but when little is revealed in the first half of the book, it gives the reader very little desire to continue on.

Where's the pull, the excitement?

I'm disappointed.
Natasha Ngan
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early copy - which in a way turned out to be somewhat unlucky, as I have longer to wait for the sequel! WLAW is a beautifully executed novel (Lana's writing is just so, so gorgeous!) with the perfect blend of mystery, romance, adventure and magic. Prepare to be utterly seduced.
Arielle Walker
Reviewing books by way of stars often feels so lazy, but I'm not sure how else to do it here.

See, for the entire first half, this was sitting at a solid 4 for me, with a few moments here and there that made me either wince or swoon. And then a whole bunch of crazy happens, where the main explanation seems to always be "but beauty", and there's no way it's anywhere near a 4 star book after that, surely. Except the last few pages and the ending maybe shifted it back up a little in my good graces..
Dania
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beautiful-covers
This book was absolutely stunning! Every single description was beautifully done. From the scents, to tastes, and to the imaginary. A treat to any candle maker out there.
ALEXA
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's hard to express exactly why I liked this novel, even though I know for sure that I did. It's wonderfully whimsical, crammed to the brim with odd, dark, beautiful magic, a potent mix of lore and culture. While it does start off fairly slow, I think it builds up into something that I just couldn't look away from, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Jade Ratley
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I certainly did enjoy this book, but I can't bring myself to give it any higher than three stars. I had a good time, the story was entertaining, the magic was unique... but at no point was I wowed. Nothing blew me away, and overall I would just say it was good...
The main characters were lovely, I did grow to care for them, and I can imagine I'll probably pick up the sequel eventually when it's out, but I'm in no immediate hurry.
YA and Wine
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE is a beautifully-written and enchanting debut. Lana Popović's writing is full of gorgeous imagery and prose. Several times while I was reading this story, I found myself going back and re-reading paragraphs and even full pages just because the execution was so lovely.

The magic system in this story is captivating. I loved how it manifested itself differently in Iris, Malina, and their mother, and it allowed for some truly spell-biding scenes that I won't soon forget.

I adore
Emily
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book left me furiously hungry on a literal level and wonderfully sated on a metaphorical one.
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
Lana Popović's debut YA contemporary fantasy, WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE, was published by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins in August 2017. Lana studied psychology and literature at Yale University, and law at Boston University. She is a graduate of the Emerson College Publishing and Writing program and works as a literary agent with Chalberg & Sussman, specializing in YA.

She lives in Boston, s
More about Lana Popović

Hibiscus Daughter (2 books)
  • Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)