Start by marking “Долі та фурії” as Want to Read:
Долі та фурії

Долі та фурії

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  96,731 ratings  ·  12,085 reviews
Роман «Долі та фурії» одразу після публікації опинився у списку улюблених книжок Барака Обами, а також увійшов до рейтингів найкращих книжок року за версією Amazon, Washington Post, Time, Kirkus та інших ЗМІ, бестселер New York Times.

В центрі сюжету — життя успішного драматурга Ланселота «Лотто» і його коханої дружини Матильди, яка усе життя провела в тіні чоловіка. Дія ро
Published 2016 (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Долі та фурії, please sign up.
Guineveruca I am relieved to see this question. I'm 2 chapters in and, while it's an easy enough read, there is nothing enjoyable about the book. The writing is…moreI am relieved to see this question. I'm 2 chapters in and, while it's an easy enough read, there is nothing enjoyable about the book. The writing is highly contrived and does nothing to make the main character sympathetic or even interesting. Life just sort of happens to this charmed-yet-cursed (make up your mind already) boy. The set up for the marriage that is supposed to be this amazing relationship between these amazing people? Don't care.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to plow through, or if this will be another Lovely Bones, where a really terrible book gets inexplicable accolades from all corners. If I have to wait until the 2nd half of the book before things improve, no thanks.

Poetry? NO. This is someone with a thesaurus writing the Cliffs Notes to an angsty melodrama.(less)

Emily
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, literary-fiction
This book was a HUGE disappointment. I mean, holy purple prose, Batman! I really loved Lauren Groff’s writing in Arcadia - it was beautiful and touching, with gorgeous metaphors. But Fates and Furies is pretentious and overwritten. It tries so hard to be a literary masterpiece that you end up with asides like this one:

Her mother had smelled of cold and scales, her father of stone dust and dog. She imagined her husband’s mother, whom she had never met, had a whiff of rotting apples, although her
Emily May
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit, 2016
Between his skin and hers, there was the smallest of spaces, barely enough for air, for this slick of sweat now chilling. Even still, a third person, their marriage, had slid in.

This book is beautifully-written. I can't deny that and I won't try, which is why it gets an extra star. Fates and Furies is everyday poetry for those looking to turn the mundane into a meditation on the beauty of words and the power of metaphor. But when it comes to plot, characters and emotion, it leaves something to
karen
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-from-work
Gone Girl with slightly nicer people...

but it's Gone Girl only at its most elemental. it's the story of the marriage of two beautiful people; a marriage whose sparkling perfection and longevity is the envy of all. but no one knows what happens in a marriage behind closed doors. sometimes, not even its participants.

this is the story of the moving parts that keep a marriage going; the sacrifices and the machinations under the smooth facade. it's about how much work it takes to make it look effort
Vegantrav
Oct 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Two word review: pretentious garbage.

My apologies to the author, Lauren Groff, for being so harsh, but this novel is terrible.

Is Fates and Furies the worst novel I’ve read in 2015? We still have almost 3 full months remaining, but I have no doubt it will at least be in the top 3 worst reads of the year. I hated this novel. I only finished reading (hate-reading, actually) so I could have an outlet for my anger and disappointment: namely, writing a review of this novel.

Reading the description that
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Book-1
Shelby-0

Chicago commercial photographers

I hate this book. There I said it. I keep trying to read it and then I look down and it says I still have soooo much time left in this book. I'm never going to finish.

The only character that I'm somewhat interested in is Chollie. The rest of them are just pretentious hipster assholes.

I'm a dnf'er. And I'm proud.

Booksource: Netgalley in exchange for review

Chicago commercial photographers

I'm probably totally missing out by not making myself finish this book. (I'm still not gonna do it) but my friend Leanne loved
Debbie
Amazingly brilliant. Language to die for. Fascinating characters. Clever format. But why did it take me three weeks to read?

This is a complex love story, full of secrets and regrets and passion. Part 1, Fates, is the husband’s story. Part 2, Furies, is the wife’s. It is absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, so why DID it take me so long to read this? Take a peek at my Complaint Board:

Complaint Board

Who ARE these guys in the twist? At the end, I got to a brilliant twist! I knew it was brilliant, but wait…..
Carmen
No amount of beautiful language can gild this piece of shit.
Joodith
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'm approaching my 1/3rd rule with this book (if a book hasn't grabbed me by 1/3rd of the way in it's not worth continuing with it) and the urge to hurl it out the window is proving irresistible. It's not often I say I hate a book, but I absolutely hate this, and yes, I realise I'm sticking my neck out, and I'll more than likely be in the minority, but c'est la vie. I cannot join the herd and say I like something when I don't

This is a long, drawn out story about Lotto (short for Lancelot) and hi
Lark Benobi
Jun 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
People want to lick other people's faces way too much in this novel. Like, once is enough for that particular gesture to occur to a character out of the blue, don't you think? You may disagree but personally I don't think most people have regular thoughts about how they want to lick one another's faces. So to have characters think somewhat regularly or even more than once about licking one another's faces, in the same novel, felt odd to me.

Indeed I have many questions about this novel. My main
Elyse Walters
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Stars
I have a mixed feelings toward this novel.
On the positive note... I was interested in the story about the married couple. I think this book is an excellent commentary on marriage.... what makes it work... and what makes it fail.

The author captures each character's individuality.... while at the same time invites us
to experience the intimacy of this marriage. I like much on this story-- yet.. I'm aware I was often 'detached'. This was not a book for me- that kept me turning pages wit
Amalia Gavea
''There was an enormous crack in the world.''

What constitutes a successful union between two people who love each other? The ability to have the courage to mend the cracks that appear in an alarming speed as the years go by. Now, in the marriage of Lotto and Mathilde, the cracks are there from the beginning. Especially in Lotto and all they have to do is to ignore them and move on. But Groff's novel is completely devoid of cracks or any other fault for that matter. In fact, it is plain and sim
Esil
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! I started reading Fates and Furies a few times and my interest quickly waned because the writing felt impenetrable. But this time I forced myself to read beyond the first few pages, and after sticking it out for a while I got completely sucked in -- by the writing, the concept, the atmosphere and the story. Groff's writing is unusual, both in style and in pacing. Her sentences feel messy and there's an arrhythmic staccato to the way in which the story moves forward. But once I fell in step ...more
Jen
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this novel are despicable, spiteful and plain unlikeable. However, that being said, Fates & Furies was a phenomenal read.
This is the love story of Lotto and Mathilde. The Fates: The building up of a 20 year marriage. The Furies: The delayering of it. From perfection to perfectly flawed characters stripped of their stories living in their own play. The final act: A death reveals a truth. This is a backwards, upside down spiral of a story that will require the reader to piece
Ron Charles
Even from her impossibly high starting point, Lauren Groff just keeps getting better and better. Her debut novel, “The Monsters of Templeton” (2008); her stirring story collection, “Delicate Edible Birds”; and my favorite book of 2012, “Arcadia ” — all demonstrated her exquisite style and tough, heart-breaking compassion. But her new novel, “Fates and Furies,” is a clear-the-ground triumph. Spanning decades, oceans and the whole economic scale from indigence to opulence, this novel holds within ...more
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
The trouble I have with contemporary literary fiction is that I’m still primed to expect it to be more than it is. Like most newer books I’ve read lately, this is an engaging series of improbable events happening to gorgeous people, which elucidates no serious truths about the world around me. There’s nothing wrong with that and I enjoyed reading it, but I feel a lingering pressure to feel more.
Katie
The miracle of this ravishing novel is that it takes such well-worn subjects as marriage and the career of a writer and makes them utterly fresh and compelling because of Groff’s dazzling prose and the ingeniously revisionist structure of the book.

The underlying premise here is that it’s much more difficult for a wife to sustain a happy marriage than it is for a husband. A generalisation of course. But a generalisation that was probably 90% true until this century and is probably still about 60
Cher
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars - I didn't like it.

This could be the first addition to a new genre, literary erotica(lite). If that makes you excited or more interested to read it, don't set yourself up for disappointment. The moral of the review is that if you write about sex for almost 300 pages (75% of the book) and still end up with a monotonous, tedious, unprovocative novel, then something has going disastrously wrong.

The author "tells" you that the couple have this epic, out of this world love for one another,
s.penkevich
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to s.penkevich by: NPR Book Review
A rather generic novel kept alive by a potent prose. Overly plot dependent and rather stifling gender-role heavy. I'll save you my 3 page ramblings because why do so when James Wood already summed this up perfectly in his review in the New Yorker.

'a novel that can be truly “spoiled” by the summary of its plot is a novel that was already spoiled by that plot.'
Granted, there is a lot of fun to be had with books which you can't say too much about the plot, but there really needs to be something bey
Maria Espadinha
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Balas dos Relacionamentos

Esta história tem tudo a ver com as armas mortíferas dos relacionamentos!
Com aquelas verdades contundentes que se retêm e azedam cá dentro. Com os pecados inconfessados por receio de demolir o Nós construído!...

É certo e sabido, que tal estratégia, embora praticada por muitos, está condenada ao fracasso, pois a Verdade nunca se aguenta muito tempo nas profundezas. E até tende a emergir impura, contaminada por interpretações viperinas, que só lhe engrandecem o poder de
Perry
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paean to Marriage, Mythology and Theatre
"Marriage is made of lies; kind ones, mostly. Omissions. If you give voice to the things you think every day about your spouse, you'd crush them to paste. She never lied, just never said."
The difficulty in reviewing this novel is avoiding disclosure of too much of the plot or structure. That, and the fact that I have found that many of my Goodreads friends in whom I place a good deal of trust on taste in books bungled the ball on this novel. I still have l
Maxwell
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
“It occurred to her then that life was conical in shape, the past broadening beyond the sharp point of the lived moment. The more life you had, the more the base expanded, so that the wounds and treasons that were nearly imperceptible when they happened stretched like tiny dots on a balloon slowly blown up. A speck on the slender child grows into a gross deformity in the adult, inescapable, ragged at the edges.”

I think that quote sums this book up pretty well. It's a book about perspective—and p
Violet wells
The only award I'd bestow on this is the most unconvincing portrait of a literary genius ever written. Lancelot Satterwhite (his father's name is Gawain though we're missing Merlin) is the character in question. As his name would suggest he's a buffoonish knight in expensive armour. He makes two life-changing transformations - firstly, he changes from a womaniser into a model husband overnight; then he changes from a third rate actor into a first rate playwright literally overnight. The suspensi ...more
Didi
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The only reason why I gave this book 2 stars was because of the beautiful writing. However the stereotypical main characters, pretentious sentences that don't really mean anything, dry storyline, and forgettable characters almost left me in a reading slump. I was really disappointed with this one because I expected so much more from it (National Book Award and Pulitzer nominations) but once again I was a victim of book hype.
Julie Christine
Great swaths of her life were white space to her husband. What she did not tell him balanced neatly with what she did. Still, there are untruths made of words and untruths made of silence, and Mathilde had only ever life to Lotto in what she never said."

As a literary construct, Fates and Furies is a mannered edifice of spun sugar, gorgeous and brittle. As a story, it splits open the melon of marriage to show the overripe flesh inside and a core that is on the verge of rotting. I can smell it,
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I am not ashamed to say that this book surprised me. I had read one previous novel by Groff and felt rather ambivalent about it (Arcadia) but she is one friend's favorite author and then the book was a finalist for the National Book Award - the fates would have been furious had I not given it a try. Har har.

I am also a bit of a sucker for a well written novel about marriage, a real look at marriage, the hard parts, the hidden parts, the mistakes, the journey. This is about that for sure. Everyt
Melanie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Even from her impossibly high starting point, Lauren Groff just keeps getting better and better. Her debut novel, “The Monsters of Templeton” (2008); her stirring story collection, “Delicate Edible Birds” (2010); and my favorite book of 2012, “Arcadia ” — all demonstrated her exquisite style and tough, heartbreaking compassion. But her new novel, “Fates and Furies,” is a clear-the-ground triumph. Spanning decades, oceans and the whole economic scale from indigence to opulence, this novel holds ...more
Carol
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sincere thanks to Netgalley and Riverhead Books for providing this e-galley due to be published September 15, 2015.

3.5 rounded up to 4 as I am of a positive nature...

The Hook - The promise of an exhilarating read about relationships and marriage.

The Line The publisher requests that this e-galley not be quoted. The line I really liked has to do with committing the embodiment of someone to perpetuity.

The Sinker – Do not expect a quick read where everything is as it seems. Expect to take a bit
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Groff? Girl can write. She is a bit of a show-off even. I like that. Also, I am exhausted. This is quite the ride.

Let's see. Since there has been SO much buzz surrounding this one and many good reviews I think I will just throw some thoughts out there. Stylistically this is gorgeous. The writing is abrupt. Sometimes it is confusing. Parts of the story are a bit pat. Doesn't matter. Quibbles.

I think I will explain it to patrons as a thinking person's Gone Girl. I do not mean that in an a
Jenny Bunting
DNF'ed around page 220.

This book is so not my thing. From the language to the structure to the character development, I don't think this book is good at all. You may love it but it does things that irritate me to my very core. Life is too short to finish books like this.
LeAnne
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litmus-test
For readers who love the theatre, have studied Greek classics and mythologies, who know which luminaries won Tony Awards this year, who titillate at hints of illicit acts of homosexuality by straights, or know the works of Shakespeare intimately, go ahead and follow the accolades. Read. Enjoy. I respect you literary art lovers but am not one of you.

This double set of stories, one apiece about the man and wife, going from childhood through their mid 40s, seemingly took forever for me to get throu
President Obama's Pick 17 194 Nov 10, 2018 07:07AM
Drop Everything A...: Fates and Furies 3 31 Aug 21, 2018 04:03AM
Play Book Tag: (LISTOPIA) Fates and Furies - Lauren Groff (4 stars) 8 29 May 23, 2018 06:16PM
Rolla Public Libr...: Books are here! 2 8 Apr 04, 2018 07:53AM
  • Innocents and Others
  • Purity
  • Fourth of July Creek
  • When the Moon is Low
Lauren Groff was born in Cooperstown, N.Y. and grew up one block from the Baseball Hall of Fame. She graduated from Amherst College and has an MFA in fiction from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Her short stories have appeared or are forthcoming in a number of journals, including The Atlantic Monthly, Ploughshares, Glimmer Train, Hobart, and Five Points as well as in the anthologies Best Amer
“Great swaths of her life were white space to her husband. What she did not tell him balanced neatly with what she did. Still, there are untruths made of words and untruths made of silences, and Mathilde had only ever lied to Lotto in what she never said.” 59 likes
“Paradox of marriage: you can never know someone entirely; you do know someone entirely.” 58 likes