Start by marking “The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields, #1)

The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  603 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Abandoned at birth, Sophie Shields grew up in abusive foster homes, escaping into books and computers for solace. When the constant danger became too much to bear, she ran away, thinking she could survive on her hacking skills alone.

That was until she met Cole Hunter. He became the only person she could trust: her family, her friend, her partner-in-crime. Her everything. A
Paperback
Published September 29th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Fireproof Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireproof Girl

Linda Strong

Sophie Shields is actually a CIA Agent. She can do things with a computer that most people have never heard of. Few people know what she really does.

Sophie was abandoned as a baby and grew up in the system ... neglected and abused. Until she met Cole Hunter, she was totally alone in this world. Cole became her friend, her brother, her protector and partner in crime.

Cole served time in prison for killing a man. This man was foster father to both Sophie and Cole. He was abusive and he wasn't abov
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

Sophie Shields never had it easy. She never knew her parents and has only experienced abuse during her time in the foster care system. She felt like her life was meaningless and worthless until a young boy entered her life.

Cole was the first person to keep promises. The first person to always be there for her. The first person that actually cared about her. Although he lost his parents in a horrific fire, he was Sophie's rock.

Cole eventually becomes a famous architect, and
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog
*Blog Tour April 27th, 2018 ~ The Fireproof Girl by Loretta Lost*

The Fireproof Girl is the story of Sophie Shield and Cole Hunter. Sophie, is a CIA agent and an excellent code breaker, who lives in Washington DC with her boyfriend Zachary. One day she reads in the newspaper that, Cole, another homeless child, adopted by same foster parents as hers, who she has not met in years, is dead. She decides go back to California where, Cole lived to find out who his murderer is. Thr
Ashley
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy, mystery
Rating: 1/5
(I received a free copy from the author via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
***Minor spoilers***

Sophie Shields has had a pretty awful life. After being abandoned as a child, she had hopped from foster home to foster home, encountering abuse and violence almost everyday. Her only respite was her foster brother Cole, who was the first light in her life she has ever had. Fast forward nearly a decade, and she's working as an agent for the US government as one of the best hacke
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

** 2 Cranky Stars **

Abandoned at birth, Sophie grew up neglected and abused. A talented computer whizz, Sophie's life changes when she meets Cole Hunter. He becomes her brother, her protector, and a reason to keep going.

Years later, Sophie and Cole are estranged. When she learns of his murder, Sophie sets out to find the killer and try to bury ghosts from her past.

Somewhere in here is a good book with a lot of potential that wasn't realized.

Time switches can be great literary devices. They can
Coco.V
FREE on Amazon today (10/23/2017)!
Jennifer McLean
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me just start by saying I really loved this book. I was wholly surprised though by the storyline after reading the back cover.The story woven by the author is so much more powerful than the synopsis given.

Sophie and Cole have been best friends since they were children growing up in the foster care system. Cole lost his family to a terrible fire and Sophie was abandoned and abused by every adult who ever looked after her. When these two meet and become "brother and sister" yet another foster
Brian Wilson
Bulletproof?

Low rating because it is not realistic to believe that someone so emotionally unstable could be a C.I.A. agent and be a!lowed to carry a weapon.
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

I received this book from XpressoBookTours in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say it was different than what I expected. The blurb is a little bit misleading.  I'll get into more details below.

plot4

This novel was a medium - fast paced story; some chapters were faster than others. However, the book itself it's really interesting. It hooks you in. I kept reading because the story made me so curious, and I wanted to know everything about it.This is a big plus for this book - even if some s
Margaux
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is told alternately by Sophie and Cole in past and present settings. Their flashbacks explain how they were brought to be where they are now. Both their past is dark, colorful but dark. The book had some similar feels to one of my most favorite books of all time, Forbidden. And if you have read that book by Tabitha Suzuma, then you have an idea how dark this book might be.

Cole is the epitome of a smart person. He is academically-gifted but he is more than that. He is rational, logical.
iamnotabookworm
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lately, I started signing up for cover reveals. Please check out the Book Blitz tab. I know all you book bloggers out there are familiar with book cover reveals. And covers are really important to sell books, though not as much as the quality of the writing inside. The first cover reveal I signed up for was The Bulletproof Boy by Loretta Lost which was hosted by xpressobooktours.com. This book is the sequel to The Fireproof Girl. I also got the review copy from xpresso books. Thank you again.

The
Wanderlust & Books
Sep 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
The Fireproof Girl
Loretta Lost
Publication date: September 29th 2016
Genres: Mystery, New Adult, Romance

The Fireproof Girl's Cover Reveal is today! Check it out on Wanderlust & Books http://www.wanderlustandbooks.com/sin...

Melina
This book was not my style at all. I found the writing cringeworthy and the dialogue unbearable.
It was not really a mystery and it was not really a thriller and it had way too many similarities with a romance novel.
Tessa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was provided to me by Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. I swear on my bookshelf that this has not affected my opinion of the book.

It's a good thing that Sophie is fireproof because this story is extremely flammable. The romance is full of heat, both slow-burning and flares of fire. The action is an unquenchable firestorm that starts on the first page and doesn't give the reader any time for breath. The mystery is full of burning questions that kept me on the edge of
Kaylin Beach
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loretta Lost never lets me down! I have read multiple books by her and each one just gets better and better! I am absolutely in love with this book and the characters inside.

"I will always remember how the earth moved when you touched my hand."

Lost introduces us to a young girl named Sophie. Sophie has had a rough life but is finally turning it around. She has a wonderful job, an amazing man, and a home to call her own. Sophie has only one complaint.. her brother has been killed. What will Sop
Ingrid Thomas
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 fiery stars!!!

This book had my heart it its grasp all the time. It has a lot of issues and themes that are not suitable for everyone. There are mentions of rape, child abuse, split personalities, etc., but the main issue of the book is one of resilience, love and how much a person can over come what life throws at them.

The two main characters have a dark past. Shophie has a very very traumatic childhood, since she has never known what a true family is, or what true love means.
Jo
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where the back story is dealt out incrementally, and the reader is always slightly unsettled and unsure of what the truth is.

This is also something of a multilayered story.  You have the obvious story arc of finding out what happened to Cole.  But there is a more subtle narrative around loneliness, friendship and family.

Yes, there are elements of this story that are a little jarring - and Zack is a big part of that - I was waiting for the other shoe to drop about him
Ankita Singh
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I don't know what to say about this book. I'm so glad I got to be a part of this tour and read this book!

The Fireproof Girl was unlike any book I've ever read. It was full of so many emotions, both positive and negative.

The writing style was so powerful that it had me crying even before I properly got to know the characters.

Scarlett with her changing identities and Cole with his promise to protect her, were both such awesomely crafted characters. Another character that I really liked was Zack,
Sheila Myers
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Loretta Lost created a good plot and characters that kept me interested in the story. The down side is there's no resolution to much of the plot at the end of the story. When writers intend their work to be a trilogy or multi-book series for which a person must read more books to finish the story, that fact should be mentioned somewhere in the book description at Amazon or on the book cover.
Norma
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
I actually had a hard time getting through this....It just wasn't what I thought it would be..
Mary
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading anything from this author and it won’t be my last one either! If you like mystery, suspense and a bit of romance. This is the book for you.

This book goes back and forth between the present day in 2016 and in the past in 2003. Sophie’s perspective is in the present while Cole’s perspective is in the past. Sophie was abandoned at birth and she grew up neglected and abused (physically and sexually by two different foster fathers). Cole’s parents died in a fire when he
Sascha Korshunov
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Fireproof Girl was a wonderful read. I saw a lot of other reviews describing it as a "one sitting" read and something "they couldn't put down," which isn't usually the way I get through a book, but that's how it went down for this one. The first grips of tension start at the very beginning of the book and persist through out, rising and falling at times but never disappearing completely. It's maintained with a steady pace, and no part of the story seems like it was rushed through, nor does i ...more
Bibliophile Angel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reviews
The Fireproof Girl will take you into a roller coaster ride of emotion—An unpredictable and well-written novel that will surely set the literature world on fire.

The Fireproof Girl was written through the eyes of Sophie and few scenes of Cole, both orphaned children— who will, as the story progress, will fight for their life, their rights, and their love. Even when they become successful in their life, a shadow of the past will hunt them... It is set in the present days—and there were few scene
Larissa
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Amber
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story didn't really go anywhere. There was a lot of additional dialogue - mostly about love - that was repetitive and uninteresting. The ending was predictable and a bit boring.
Rita
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

This is my first book from Loretta Lost and I really enjoyed it! It hooks you to the first page to the last one! I literally couldn’t put the book down! It was really a fast read. I really love the mystery, angst and romance.

description

This book is written from the two main characters’ perspective, Sophie and Cole. Sophie’s chapters are set in the present while Cole’s chapters are set in the past. We get to know a little bit more of these two characters backstory.

Sophie (or Serenity/Serena is her real name
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The Fireproof Girl is an unusual read. Categorized as women's fiction, psychological, and mystery/thriller, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I definitely see the psychological part, but otherwise, I consider it more suspense. Cole's character seemed loving, caring, brilliant, and devoted. Zack seemed like a nice guy, but honestly, I couldn't figure out why he put up with Sophie's attitude towards him and complete disregard for his feelings. Sophie... Not sure what to say about Sophie except ...more
Laura Hampton~iScream Books~
This is the first book that I have had the opportunity to read by this author and I cannot wait to dive into the next book in the series. I found it to be extremely well written and engaging. I really loved the authors writing style. The Fireproof Girl is told in dual pov., going from past to present. I really enjoy a good book with both lead characters pov, not to mention, getting more of their backstory (past to present).

Cole Hunter and Sophie Shields have found a trust and safety between the
Veracious Reads
I have never been this annoyed with any book in my life. I usually add a star rating and move on. But, The Fireproof Girl, coming from a USA Today Bestselling Author has literally compelled me to write this review.

Where do I begin?

Let's start with the too long monologues. They were written in first person and got me to the brink of tears. I skimmed through pages and pages of chatter, yes, I'm going to call it chatter and not narrative. Jesus, it was beyond frustrating and landed right into bore
Esther Eshbach
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
**May contain a spoiler, at least regarding the ending without specifics** This book was okay, kept me reading. However it played into a real pet peeve of mine. I was around 3/4 done when I realized it was either going to be a "race to end it reasonably neatly" but wasn't likely to be a "real" ending either. I understand that a book in a series has the goal of getting a reader ready to move on to the next book but I hate rushed endings where the author seems to realize "I better put a bow on thi ...more
USA Today bestselling author Loretta Lost writes to experience all the love and excitement that can often be lacking from real life. She finds it therapeutic to explore her issues through the eyes of a different person. She hopes to have a family someday, but until then her characters will do nicely.

Follow @loretta.lost on Instagram for cute photos of her cat reading books. He refuses to cooperat
More about Loretta Lost

Sophie Shields (3 books)
  • The Bulletproof Boy (Sophie Shields, #2)
  • The Shatterproof Heart (Sophie Shields, #3)
“Right here, right now? This is precious. This is life. You’re alive. Somehow, all of the genetic material of all those thousands of ancestors came together in the perfect combination to make you, exactly as you are. That’s magical—it’s the greatest kind of magic I know. Our very existence.” My” 2 likes
“I’m not going to give up on you, Scar. I know you have one foot out the door—but if it hurts, it means that you don’t really want to go. Something in you is still willing to fight, and I’m right here, ready to fight beside you. I can’t do this on my own. You need to give yourself over to hope, and abandon all your fears. Because I’ll never lie to you, and from now on, we’re in this together.” 0 likes