Start by marking “Crônica de um amor louco (Ereções, Ejaculações e Exibicionismos - Parte I)” as Want to Read:
Crônica de um amor louco (Ereções, Ejaculações e Exibicionismos - Parte I)

Crônica de um amor louco (Ereções, Ejaculações e Exibicionismos - Parte I)

Crônica de um amor louco é o primeiro dos dois volumes da obra Ereções, ejaculações e exibicionismos, do genial escritor Charles Bukowski (1920-1994). Uma jornada pelo universo infernal e onírico do velho e safado Buk – seus personagens desvalidos, seus quartos imundos em hotéis baratos, seus bares enfumaçados na longa louca noite de neon: o sonho americano reduzido a trap ...more
Pocket, 312 pages
Published 2007 by L&PM Editores (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Crônica de um amor louco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crônica de um amor louco

Start your review of Crônica de um amor louco (Ereções, Ejaculações e Exibicionismos - Parte I)
Autumn
Mar 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was first introduced to this book in the bathroom of a one-night-stand's house. i tried to delay the sex part, because i was actually more interested in the book than the guy but i was eventually overtaken. nonetheless, i went and bought the book the following week.
Cbj
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every story in this collection wants to make you drink yourself silly, run away from home or quit your job. Bukowski has just one story. That of the outcast who is an alcoholic involved in some menial job struggling with his sexual frustrations and instinctive living.

There are takedowns of mediocre poets like Shakespere. There is great criticism of Norman Mailer - "God, he just writes on and on. There's no force, no humor. I don't understand it. Just a pushing out of the word, any word, anythin
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tales of Ordinary Madness, Charles Bukowski
Tales of Ordinary Madness is one of two collections of short stories by Charles Bukowski.
Contents: A .45 To Pay The Rent; Doing Time With Public Enemy No. 1; Scenes From The Big Time; Nut Ward Just East Of Hollywood; Would You Suggest Writing As A Career?; The Great Zen Wedding; Reunion; Cunt And Kant And A Happy Home; Goodbye Watson; Great Poets Die In Steaming Pots Of Shit; My Stay In The Poet's Cottage; The Stupid Christs; Too Sensitive; Rape! Rape!
Indra Mangule
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply love Bukowski. He belonged to a world I dont quite understand and he disliked people on such a high level - it confuses me. He describes a universe, where all things are wrong and where meaning of going on seems as dubious as the claim that one can come out of this life still being sane.

And yet, there are too many familiarities in what Bukowski says. I can sympathise to what he is saying or rather, what he seems to be feeling. Though the source of his impressions is different from mine,
Steven Godin
Even though I am a big fan of Bukowski's novels I think his Strength was definitely in short stories and this collection has got everything you would come to expect from the master of low life literature, from the booze, women, cheap cigars and poetry reading to the drunken outbursts, lewd behaviour, betting on the horses and dead end jobs it's all there, and if I could choose any drinking buddy dead or alive there is no contest (I can almost picture the scene now with me probably waking up in t ...more
Kyriakos Sorokkou
This was one of those rare books that made me laugh out loud, with my heart; and yet behind these funny moments a grim reality was lurking underneath.

The first time I saw Bukowski's photo, for a moment I thought he was the prolific Greek poet Yannis Ritsos and then I realised he was not. But beside the beard and the long wavy hair and their prolific writing careers they don't seem to share anything else.
Ritsos is more lyrical more benign in his writing.
Bukowski is more straightforward, with an
Henry Martin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski – the man, the myth, the legend.

I’ve been reading Bukowski’s works on and off for the past 25+ years, and I have yet to find it boring.

Tales of Ordinary Madness is a collection of 34 short stories, some fictional, some less so, and some downright out of his own, unique life.

Unlike his other, pseudo-autobiographical works, or his other short story collections, this one was harder to read than most. Not because of the subject matter – after 25 years I know what to expect from him – but
Emily
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Emily by: My friend Todd.
This was my introduction to Bukowski. A friend loaned me this book after reading a short story I wrote, telling me that I would probably enjoy it.

As I read it, a strange feeling came over me. It was the feeling of excitement knowing that I was reading something brilliant mixed with the feeling that I got when I saw Hustler Magazine for the first time. I think it describes Bukowski's work perfectly. His words are both beautiful and debauched at the same time. Still one of my favorite books.

Ray
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I couldn't get into this book. I really liked Post Office but this one left me cold. I felt that the quality was patchy - a few of the stories I really liked, but some appeared to me to be dashed off at speed or written just to shock.
Aaron Maddox
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I was looking for something new (to me) in the early 90's and some dweeb in a Brentano's recommended this to me because Bukowski has died months before. I hate discovering something great just after the author has died. I also hate people saying how great some author (or artist) was after they die, but they never had much to say while the author was still alive.

Anyway, this is one of his two greatest novels.
Chris
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
once upon a time, in a shitshack bookstore not unlike so many other shitshack bookstores, a life-long love was forged. employed at this store was a strapping young lad named chris. bright-eyed. bushy-tailed. boneheaded. and enamored with the wealth of books surrounding him. he was perplexed as where to even begin looking for the good stuff, and he’d often scour the place after business hours. labyrinthine shelves. stocked endcaps. free-standing or pop-up displays. a pile of books here and there ...more
Julie Rylie
Bukowski, Bukowski...

even though this guy uses mostly the same topics on his books there is something about it that draws me again and again and again to it like I'm addicted. And I have to say in terms of exposing his mind and philosophizing about various topics this book for me it's the one that is most well written (among the ones I have read so far of course).

I've underlined some quotes and lines of thought that I want to add to the quotes here later.

There is a lot of talk about the race
Craig Stone
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lost this book when I was about 50 pages from the end. I think I might have left it in the gym - which is probably some sort of Bukowskian sin.

I'll read those last pages one day, but I knew from half way in that this was a five star book. I love Bukowski. I love his tales of ordinary madness. Though, of course, the madness isn't ordinary because Bukowski wasn't like most people.

He drinks his way through the book, offending the world around him, offending himself...it reads like a bewildered k
Jack Drake
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All good baby
Toby
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, short-stories
He writes well, this much is obvious, but I really just didn't care about reading what felt like the same 'story' over and over again.

I enjoyed his writerly voice, the tone of the prose, the attitude of it all, it was so dirty and real as you would expect of somebody influence so obviously by Ernest Hemingway but, and maybe it is because of these expectations that I didn't love it, I was expecting more, something to make me want to keep turning the pages, plot maybe? And if that's so then I gues
Katy
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic, quotable Bukowski. However, if you are just starting out on the quintessential dirty old man, you should read "The Most Beautiful Woman In Town" first. Bukowski needs to be eased into, and this collection of short stories gets a little dark and crazy. If you started here, you might give up on him, and he truly was a brilliant man.

Favorite quotes from this collection:
"Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually dirty kitchen, and 5 times out of 9 I'll show you an exceptional man.
loudermilk
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ever wish you could read bukowski all over again for the first time? well you can't. but you can find poe ballantine.
Cloud
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I walked around the block twice, passed 200 people and failed to see a human being."

"This birth thing. And this death thing. Each one had it's turn. We entered alone and we left alone. And most of us lived lonely and frightened and incomplete lives. An incomparable sadness descended up on me. Seeing all that life that must die. Seeing all that life that would first turn to hate, to dementia, to neuroses, to stupidity, to fear, to murder, to nothing - nothing in life and nothing in death."

"Livi
Anatoly
Never really read anything like that. It`s dark (although usually, humorously) and pessimistic, with Bukowski (or his fictional alter egos) always making sure to hit rock bottom. There is no real connection between the stories (which are not all equal in quality, with some being better than others) except for the main motives- drinking, swearing, sex and the occasional law breaking or in other words, the life of a drunk and a dirty old man. This is not for the faint of heart! ...more
Renee Kiser
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles wrote stories as they were meant to be written!
Bausertron
This wasn't an amazing, blow you away book, but is that what you would really expect going into it? I've read a handful of Bukowski novels before and I've liked them even though some of their honesty makes me cringe now and again.

This is a selection of short stories, mostly autobiographical, and I found them delightful and easy to digest. I've never read any of Bukowski's poetry, but he does a good job at truncated writing. Little blurbs of thought and ponderings of things instead of forcing a l
Raegan Butcher
Bukowski cranked out these stories for dirty magazines strictly for the money but he was the kind of writer who worked well with that kind of editorial freedom to produce whatever his inebriated mind could come up with and there are some really good examples of his writing here. My favorite: "The Blanket" which is as close to perfection as these old stories from this period in his life get with its surreal combination of low-life angst and Edgar Allan Poe-like feverish poetic madness. It's too b ...more
Rin
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are actually some interesting thoughts, and I liked a few short stories, nevertheless they are far outnumbered by the, in my opinion, meaningless have-nothing-to say ones, which are generally built on the leading lines of being drunk (vomiting and unable to control oneself) and sex as an animalistic need.
I believe the primary topic was social alienation, but the outcome is (with few exceptions) dull and senseless, not leaving any lingering feelings nor a touch of reality behind.
However, th
Aisling
Jan 04, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
“The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it - basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them.”

Image: Johnny Depp and Kate Moss by Francois-Marie Barnier, 1994

Johnny Depp and Kate Moss, Francois-Marie Barnier, 1994

Ioanna Nikita
This book was a bit boring and repetitive. Most of bukowski's stories are about alcohol, whores, sex and gambling. There are some about the world of literature as well.

I thought he was a disgusting old man and hated him most of the time it took me to read this book. But towards the end I started to understand him. He makes some great remarks about society and life and this is why I give this book two stars instead of one or zero.

He is a very hard person to like, his writing is weird and sicken
Jeremy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drunken, lurid, and hilarious shenanigans as only the aging Bukowski could tell. He also branches out from the seemingly autobiographical fare to curveball surreal pieces with real power and literature rants that show Bukowski knew better than the critics of his time. Will Patton in the audiobook delivers an all-time awesome performance that was recognized by the Audies.
Mike
Nov 13, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My friend John lent me this book. After reading the first 5 or so stories, I realized that I should have read it 10 years ago, back when I thought that chaotic self-destruction was somehow cool and romantic. I've outgrown this sort of thing.
Jason
Feb 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski makes me laugh -- a lot of the time I feel like I shouldn't be laughing, but I still do. Then, I turn the page and repeat.
Georgia
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Our sins are manufactured in heaven to create our own hell, which we evidently need."
Goodreads Librari...: Update book: Příběhy obyčejného šílenství 3 13 Jan 12, 2015 08:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Advice about combining 3 15 May 28, 2014 10:42PM
TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS as satire 4 82 Mar 03, 2013 09:02PM

• The Road to Los Angeles (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #2)
  • Ask the Dust (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #3)
  • Dreams from Bunker Hill (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #4)
  • Wait Until Spring, Bandini (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #1)
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • 1933 Was a Bad Year
  • Il linguaggio segreto del corpo
  • The Brotherhood of the Grape
  • The Solitude of Prime Numbers
  • Il bar sotto il mare
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Bandini
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more