Start by marking “Soul Survivor (Spirit Shield Saga, #.5)” as Want to Read:
Soul Survivor (Spirit Shield Saga, #.5)

Soul Survivor

(Spirit Shield Saga .5)

When sibling rivalry spills over into the land of mortals, the mortals lose. Great evil, spawn of the underworld, is poised to sweep all life from the planet, and only the twins can stop it. Jealousy, love, hatred and magic battle for the ultimate control of the souls of the world. Only one will be left standing, and if it is the wrong one, how will the world survive?
Published August 27th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Soul Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Survivor

Patrick Hodges
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading Seer of Souls, I was interested in reading this prequel when it was released.

Whereas that book took place on a mortal plane, in a world where magic and sorcery exist but was used (refreshingly) sparingly, Soul Survivor dealt with a power struggle between sibling gods, a struggle whose ultimate outcome will shape the mortal world the Spirit Shield Saga takes place in.

I wasn't sure how it was all going to play out, but I will say this - Helga is one BAD lady. Like, hissably evil. Whi
Judi Easley
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers who like mythology tossed in.
Recommended to Judi by: author
My Disclaimer:

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book. I am voluntarily providing an honest review in which all opinions are fully my own. I am not being compensated in any way.

~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

What it’s about…

While King Caerwyn has been worried about the Primordials outside his castle gates, it’s really his siblings he should have been keeping a close eye on.

Alfreda would do anything to support Caerwyn. And the people love their queen. Artio has chosen a human to sha
Lana
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book about rivalry between siblings but these are not ordinary siblings, they are godlings and this book put me in mind of other godling books by Rick O'Riordan and the Percy Jackson series! I must admit that i expected much more strength from the twins Alfreda and Caerwyn seeing as how they were godlings and in charge of the safety of the mortal world but instead its a wizard child, Mordecai who is master of the magical balance box who is entrusted to watch over the souls of the king and quee ...more
A.C. Thompson
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this book was a decent fantasy series intro, and found it to be entertaining, but some of the descriptions were a bit vague and confusing, and sadly, most of the confusing bits had to do with the magic the story revolves around. This was a fairly quick read, but I'm not sure I'm sold on buying the other books in the series to see what happens next. I just wasn't sucked into the story enough to become invested in the characters. They didn't really seem to be as fleshed out as they could ...more
Ola Adamska
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
Four siblings, godlings - this idea rock!
The way we follow the story sometimes is a little to shattered, so it needs a little concentration to follow everything in good place.
Characters are good written, we get to know them mostly by their deeds or what they say.
The general situation is really interesting, as we find here people whoall kind of emotions, and we get them in best proportions!
Magic here is a luxury that have to be well used by people who have that power!
I really enjoyed prequel to S
Joanne Hampton
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
People just don't get along including sisters and brothers that are Gods. What is right and wrong. To be a mortal or an immortal. To give a child a box that helps right the wrongs of the world maybe, it is unknown what will happen when the box is opened.Good writing, good book.
Brandy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A story that truly brings to light how sibling rivalry can consume a person. Gods are immortal and can't die but when you being innocents they may just become mortal. Helga takes being a bitch to a whole new level. I would not want to meet her!
Nancy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Magical

Fast-paced and fun read lots of magic and other supernatural creatures and let us not forget the godly twins and the evil Helga brings to her family and world and a young wizard who is their only hope
A.A. Jankiewicz
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid prequel to the series.
Fiona Andrew
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story full of gods and goddesses. Good and evil, wizards and winged horses. I totally enjoyed reading this book, which I read in one sitting. Looking forward to the series.
Wanda Estremera
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I am reading from the series and I love what I've read so far. Cant wait to read the following book.
Susan Mcclellan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Complex Plot

?Due to my inability to retain the names of characters for more than a chapter or two if they are not mentioned during that time. If they suddenly
Damian Southam
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delicate balance is necessary for life of wide range of beings to be maintained. Caerwyn, Alfreda, Artio and Helga are the godlings that protect life and manage responsibility of the various systems involved. Kings and Queens of their respective realms they each must work diligently and constantly to maintain the balances necessary. But when a large increase in souls arising from the deaths of their respective vessels starts to indicate the systems are failing, it is up to Caerwyn and Alfreda ...more
KelticKat
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-author
This story definitely set the stage for events to come.

This is the story battle and the feud between four Godling siblings. And how the kingship came to pass from Caerwyn, son of Morpheus to huma, Hud and his descendants. Also, of Mordecia a human wizard who was chosen to guard the precious souls of the godlings who perished.

Seven year old Mordecia is both full of a child's wonder of the world he lives in and wisdom of the ages that seems to pour from him. I look forward to seeing how he grows u
Betsy Flak
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The one was a little of a slow burn where I found it hard to really get into the story at the beginning. That said, I liked how all the storylines came together at the end and it was well-written. Given that it's a prequel to the actual series, I'm not too worried about the slow-ish pace during the first two-thirds of the book. I will definitely be reading Book 1 in the near future.
Peg
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Soul Survivor is a captivating and well-written prequel to the Spirit Shield Saga fantasy series.

Whenever a god engages in the forbidden act of intimacy with a mortal, godlings, half-god and half-mortal, are born. Among the godling siblings, there was a growing undercurrent of distrust and dissension. Helga was jealous. Artio had the sun, the moon, and all the planets, as well as a gorgeous lover to keep her entertained. The golden twins, Caerwys and Alfreda, had dominion over all the souls and
Teresa
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
When a god falls in love with a mortal woman, their children are godlings (half god, half mortal). When Helga one of the godling's decides to make a play for power. She will sacrifice her brother Caerwyn, her sister Alfreda and her other sister Artio. Does her plan work? Did Caerwyn name a successor? Is Mordecai ready for the magic that hums in his veins?
Characters:
Caerwyn: King of Cathair protector of souls, and a godling.
Alfreda: sister to Caerwyn, and protector of mythical creatures a
Molly Harbridge
Susan Faw
Seer of Souls

This prequel certainly makes me want to read the series. Although it centers around beings with god-like qualities, anyone can relate to the main characters. Steeped in mythology, Faw's history of the Spirit Shields is an easy to read and enjoyable fantasy story!
Jane Ramberg-hill
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read

I just finished a marathon read of the book. Once I started, I was so wrapped up in the story that I had to finish. Powerful figures and nice interactions between the characters.
Lucinda
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Talk about a surprise! This is a new author for me and I got this book as a freebie. It started out a bit slow, I think mostly because so many of the characters and back story had to be introduced for the series. I am so glad I stuck with it! By the time I was two-thirds of the way in, I was hooked! Little Mordecai was definitely my favorite character. He's just so open-hearted and he truly loved Caerwyn and Alfreda. I just can't wait to read more of this series!
LooseBoots
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cracking fantasy tale and perfect for the beginning of a set. Once you got your head round all the characters you really got into the story. It certainly wetted the appetite for more of the same..
Already started on Sear of Souls. Glad I have found another cracking new author worthy of our support.
Read it. You won't be disappointed.
Phthon
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An unusual and enticing beginning to what promises to be an amazing fantasy adventure. I enjoyed reading from the viewpoint of a god. The characters are well developed and likable...except for Helga. Evil wench. I am looking forward to reading more from Susan Faw! I highly recommend this book.
Angala Fox
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review.
This was an awesome prequel to the Spirit Shield Saga. I love this series. Definitely recommend.
Mary King
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i loved this story and i cant wait to read more of this author. it was well written and it held my attention. a must read
Jackie
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
When there is rivalry between siblings it spills over into the mortal world and causes grief. What will happen. Plenty of magic and great reading to the end
Ayse Isil Ari
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: susan-faw, english, frb
I'm sucker punched by this book, and I'm not complaining about it even a little.
Isabel
rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2017
Amber
Feb 03, 2017
Teresa S
Aug 13, 2017
Avelee
Dec 27, 2017
YA Fiction Reader...: July 2017 BOTM - Soul Survivor 2 2 Jul 24, 2017 08:51AM
A lover of unusual worlds, Susan is a masked crusader for the fantastical world. Championing mythical rights, she quells uprisings and battles infidels who would slay the lifeblood of her pen. It’s all in a night’s work, for this whirlwind writer. Welcome to the quest.

Dante Rossetti Grand Prize awarded for Best Young Adult Fiction of 2016, Chanticleer Reviews, for Seer of Souls.

First in Category,

Spirit Shield Saga (5 books)
  • Seer of Souls (The Spirit Shield Saga Book 1)
  • Soul Sanctuary (Spirit Shield Saga, #2)
  • Soul Sacrifice (The Spirit Shield Saga, #3)
  • The Spirit Shield Saga Complete Collection:: (Books 1-3 Plus Prequel (Spirit Shield Saga Collection)