Start by marking “Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think” as Want to Read:
Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think

Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think

"Why do some people succeed at change while others fail? It's the way they think! Liminal thinking is a way to create change by understanding, shaping, and reframing beliefs. What beliefs are stopping you right now?

You have a choice. You can create the world you want to live in, or live in a world created by others. If you are ready to start making changes, read this book.

Published September 14th 2016 by Rosenfeld Media (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Liminal Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liminal Thinking

Start your review of Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think
Oleksandr Golovatyi
Another brilliant book that fell into my hands in this 2017 year. The book is small without extra "water", it is very simple and understandable written. The main idea of the book is "liminal thinking" - the art of changing the world around yourself with the help of rethinking and changing persuasions. To make this definition more lucid and complete, we still need to add a definition of what "persuasion" is, this is - the sequence of events in our head, according to which we act.

Principles of lim
Dave
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a concise (and in paperback, beautifully designed) set of principles and practices for thinking clearly, acting deliberately, keeping an open mind.

In short:
1. Those beliefs we use to navigate the world are essential for sense-making and terribly limiting if we take them as truths unexamined. They are what shape our worldview, what lead to action, can lead to failure, conflict, misunderstanding.
2. Our identities and shared experience are tied in with these beliefs, and so they are hard t
Libby
I've already started thinking about the upcoming New Year and how I want to set goals, so this book fit in very nicely with that. I listened to an audible version that I borrowed from Hoopla. The narrator is Dan Woren and he is fantastic. He read the book as though he had authored it, giving justice and respect to Dave Gray's well written work. I often have difficulty giving my attention to the audible format, but I had no problem with this one.

A lot of the book is presented as being advice on
Jay
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
Well written take on how to approach problems taking into account the impact your own beliefs have on the process. The book describes how beliefs can determine how you think about things, and provides some ideas on how to set aside those beliefs and rethink the problems and solutions you are working on. I found this quite similar to other books I’ve read over the years, but put together in a well written, simple way. The author combines the science, expert opinion, process description, and examp ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
While this one had a bunch of Powerpoint-ish vibes, still, it was an interesting read and quite a few of the stories actually made sense (which is rare in the trend of bullshit storytelling of late).
Liminal thinking as a useful concept. Why not? Change, beliefs, concepts and preconceptions. Asking questions and listening to the answers. Liminality.
Michael Roach
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recycled NLP given a trendy title. Avoid.
Simon Vandereecken
If you're searching for ways to "think differently" and approach problems and issues with another mind, this book could help you. But if you have read already a lot of things about business and for example design thinking, then unfortunately this book won't offer you much.

While it's greatly written, illustrated and constructed, I've felt quite disappointed when reading it. I think I was expecting a lot of new things, a new way of thinking, but the whole book proposes advices that are quite usual
Kare Anderson
“How our beliefs create blind spots” to “our assumption that we understand a situation” are just some of the barriers we inadvertently put up between our opportunities and our relationships that Liminal Thinking can alleviate. I value the actionable insights and the sequence in which they are offered to enable us readers to become more self-aware and able to make wiser choices – for ourselves and with others. As Gray advises, “Assume that you are not objective.” The book is a helpful complement ...more
mia 美愛 d
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sharp + concise. I enjoyed this book! could have been a bit longer but I think that’s a sign of something good when you’re sad that it’s over. 4.5 stars for Dave Gray ⚡️

“Liminal thinking is a way to create change by understanding, shaping, and reframing beliefs.”
Mehdi Hassan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about changing beliefs and perception. Plenty of examples and case studies to visualize lessons and facts. Many of the lessons are reiteration from "How to win friends and influence people". The message runs well into well-developed societal fundamentals, shaking up reality for the reader. This books is one to ruminate about for a while into the future - I look forward to connecting the dots as I continue to observe and navigate through life. ...more
Salavat Ghabdulla
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this book. It opens new ways of seeing the world and other people's behavior. After reading Liminal thinking, you will notice why people act in a way they act, why you respond to something in a way you respond. And if you found something wrong with it, this book teaches you how to change the way you see things.

Having read Liminal thinking (and having done all exercises in it) I really feel that I stepped up on a new level of understanding the world around. Really!
Arina Prokushenkova
very nice and easy to read book. i wish every person read this one to finally understand that everyone is right in his/her own way. all the people has their own beliefs which create certain point of view but it’s important to remember that your opinion ≠ reality, it’s only one small side/part of it.
Edward
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book. Ironically, the framework fit many of my own beliefs (that one is encouraged to question while reading). Gray shares many interesting anecdotes about how various people have employed concepts of Liminal Thinking successfully. And he is incredibly adept at describing extremely complex (otherwise confusing concepts) in almost deceptively simple ways. Highly recommended to those looking to learn how to be more open-minded.
g BRETT
I had the pleasure a couple of years ago of hearing Dave Gray talk about and explore some ideas he had for a new book, throwing them out to the audience and having a conversation around them. Earlier this year I had the privilege of reading some early versions of pages that had evolved from those explorations and which now form the heart of Dave’s new book, Liminal Thinking. I was excited to get the final version of the book and looking forward to sitting down and breezing through it, to soak it ...more
Carielyn Mills
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
that's a LOT of filler to just say "be open-minded"
not enough filler to cover over 100 pages either. double fail.
J
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick listen, and free on Audible with a membership. It's basically about holding a beginner's mindset and staying open to new ideas. I'm currently volunteer text-banking for a political election and getting several responses from people who are very stuck in their beliefs. They're not interested in learning more about a proposition if it doesn't conform to what President Trump believes. I also had a really difficult time within my own family during the last 4 years--as I saw them rej ...more
Mark
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT concepts and strong presentation. I'm disappointed that this (at the time of this writing) only has a 4.04 rating on GoodReads. It's better than that. Not sure whether the message is uncomfortable or hard to grasp, etc. But it's possible that the very people who need this message may have a hard time seeing the truth here.

In any case, the core is how we should be open to frequently testing our beliefs for less-biased methods of detecting truth. This is very difficult when we assume so many
Ardavan Mir
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice summary of how we construct beliefs and how they evolve from the feedback they receive from the environment. Liminal thinking is about models and practices of being aware of the process of mapping reality. It's a simple and summarized guide borrowing models from social psychology on how beliefs work. It's about stepping outside of your bubble and expanding your thinking frameworks. ...more
Lene Sebastian
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple yet powerful book on reflecting and reframing your beliefs. I like how easy it was to read this book (~200 pages) and the occasional illustrations definitely helped in delivering the points across. I especially liked the exercises at the end -- do it or you're only using half of the potential of this book.

Are the ideas in the book novel and unique? A few are, most are not. However, the book excelled in the delivery. I think you'll come out at the end of the book hopeful and open-minded
Chris Waterguy
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about beliefs and the power of exploring, playing with or suspending them.

Part 1 will be familiar to readers experienced with design thinking it choosing.
Part 2 I found thought-provoking.
Dinika
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really liked this. Short and concise yet with enough examples to drive home the point. I also enjoyed the exercises that are worth doing. Very good book if you are feeling a bit stuck in your ways and want to disrupt your thinking.
Kristian Norling
Should have read this book when I bought it in 2016, but I guess sometimes you read books only when you are ready to. Now the timing is right, and I have a need to challenge my beliefs in a constructive and fruitful way. This book delivers a set of principles and practices for changing the way you think.

This book is excellent, will recommended it to all colleagues and teams at work.
Eunkyung Park
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I really long way of saying 'take a risk'

TL;DR
- Be open-minded
- Explore alternative beliefs
- Suspend judgement
- Disrupt patterns

Lisa
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-bending
4 stars for the writing, 10+ stars for the concept. It’s a super clear, easy approach to reprogramming your brain. The writing is no frills to-the-chase and can be read in an afternoon.
Janelle
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
For some reason, the run time for the audiobook says 6 hours, but the book is only about half that.

I enjoyed this very much and would like to go back to it in written form sometime soon. I think I'd absorb more that way.
Adrian Howard
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm slightly biased since a couple of my war stories appear in this book, but I rather liked this. All too often books about change tell a nice story, but fail to show you how to apply the concepts. This is not one of those books. It's structured as a series tactical practices around beliefs and change, and wraps those practices up in a nice model. It's given me some new ways to think about stuff I've been doing for years, and highlighted some gaps in how I approach things. If you're managing or ...more
Stephen Collins
This is one of those books where you sit there nodding and thinking, "he's got it!". Or you're going to be utterly puzzled by it. It's going to depend on how your brain works.

Others have tried in the past to explain this kind of mindset, but Dave's effort does a good job of aggregating some of the thinking out there on working this way, bringing it together and making sense of something that's been inadequately described previously.

If you're one of those people for whom tangents, random ideas, j
Adi
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I like about the book is that it stays less esoteric and spiritual than it could easily be drawn into, especially when it comes to discussing beliefs in general. Is there anything new? Did the author include newly discovered science? Not that I recall, but this isn't bad at all. What is actually really "new" for us after millions of years on this planet? Byron Katie talks in her work about thought patterns and beliefs and loops, Pema Chodron and other Buddhist teachers talk about contemplat ...more
Jessica Kormos
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bidness
I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy of Dave Gray’s new novel, Liminal Thinking.

It’s hands-down one of the most interesting and introspective works I’ve read. It gave me new ways to think about my every day existence, as well as some key strategies to tackle problems in my very technical day job. I wish all my programmers would read it, and in fact, I’m hoping to pass along a few copies to them this holiday season.

Liminal Thinking is applicable to much more than just UX or programming
Suhrob
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a nice surprise!

Generally speaking this is a super-light intro into the general area of rationality/bias literature, but written without using most of the fields lingo and aim at the consulting & c-level management, but without being annoyingly "business-y".

The focus is on belief formation, naive realism, confirmation & social biases. The closest reference is Gilovithch's Wisest One in the Room, but Liminal thinking is much less technical.

As such it actually can be recommended to a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Mental Toughness Advantage: A 5-Step Program to Boost Your Resilience and Reach Your Goals
  • Good Authority: How to Become the Leader Your Team Is Waiting for
  • How to Consciously Design Your Ideal Future
  • The Forgetting Machine: Memory, Perception, and the "Jennifer Aniston Neuron"
  • Wealth Made Easy: Millionaires and Billionaires Help You Crack the Code to Getting Rich
  • The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
  • Culture Wins: The Roadmap to an Irresistible Workplace
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • No Fears, No Excuses: What You Need to Do to Have a Great Career
  • Homeless To Billionaire: The 18 Principles of Wealth Attraction And Creating Unlimited Opportunity
  • How to Train Your Mind: Exploring the Productivity Benefits of Meditation
  • Now You Know
  • Subconscious Mind Secrets: 9 Unheard of Absolutely Amazing Techniques to Recondition Your Subconscious Mind for Success
  • The Joy of Genius
  • This Is Your Brain on Depression: Creating a Path to Getting Better
  • Unfuck Your Brain: Using Science to Get Over Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Freak-Outs, and Triggers
  • How to Stay Focused: 10 Untold Remarkably Simple Techniques to Control Your Mind and Stay Focused
  • Coping Skills: Tools & Techniques for Every Stressful Situation