Start by marking “Mouse's First Valentine” as Want to Read:
Mouse's First Valentine

Mouse's First Valentine (Mouse's Firsts)

Early one morning Mouse follows his sister around the house. She's making something red and lacy and very pretty. What will it be? Find the answer in this sturdy board book edition of the New York Times best-selling picture book.
Board Book, 34 pages
Published January 1st 2004 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse's First Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse's First Valentine

Kathryn
Cute, but nothing special. However, I think that sister-mouse's name, Minka, is absolutely darling. Maybe a name for a future kitty-cat...!? ;->
midnightfaerie
Another mouse book, this time about Valentine's Day. All my kids are enjoying little mouse discover things from different holidays. I, myself, am enjoying the paintings that look like closeups of brushed on canvas. Really pretty, and a great addition to the book!
Polly
This is one of the Mouse books I like best--it's a good Valentines Day book for an age group that doesn't have a lot of other options.
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Mouse’s sister sneaks around the house getting different craft supplies. She looks for paste, lace, ribbon and other craft supplies. Little Mouse wants to know what his sister is making, but she will not tell him until she is completely finished. At the end of the story, Little Mouse receives a valentine from his sister. What a surprise!
The colors used in the illustrations are very suitable for the Valentine’s holiday. The book is rich with purples, reds and pinks. The mice are drawn in a
Sami Wilson
Apr 27, 2014 Sami Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Candice
Feb 11, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A cute picture book on more than one level. On one, it's a Valentine book while on another it's a big sister/little brother story. Mouse often follows his big sister Minka as she sneaks into the house. One day Minka sets about to find some special things - something smooth and rosy, something white and holey, something shiny and curly, and something sticky and gooey. Minka then sets about to make something with her treasures. When she is finished, she shows Mouse his first Valentine. The story i ...more
Robert
Colorful and nicely presented. Two mice sneak into a house and find all the fixin's to make a valentine. Nothing special, but cute enough.

Interestingly, the book is dedicated to Robert and Owen. :)
****
28 December 2011
18 February 2012 (read with Fritz upon his request)
2 December 2012 (read with Fritz upon his request)
Trisha Hope
Jan 12, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Valentine's Day so I just had to read Mouse's First Valentine! He is just so cute! The mouse was just so curious to see what his sister Minka was making. He could not figure what she was doing. It was nice to see she was making a Valentine for him. It was very sweet and showed that she cared about him greatly. He never to see it coming. I highly recommend this book!
Tara
This book worked well in my V-day storytime, but it was hard for the kids to name the parts of the valentine in the story. I think that if I use this book again, I will pair it with a valentine flannel.
Taylor Owens
Feb 05, 2015 Taylor Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
This was a really cute story about Valentine's day. I would definitely read this to my 1st grade class. The pictures are really vibrant with some really beautiful colors. The story is really sweet. This book is great for younger children but would not be very exciting for anyone over the age of 7.
Lindsay
A very sweet Valentine's Day story! In the story, a mouse follows his sister around as she works on a very special project--a Valentine for him! I read it for a Valentine's Day-themed program for bilingual story time.
Samantha Brown
Oct 16, 2014 Samantha Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I love the illustration in the book. I also liked the message that was in the book. It teaches children to be nice to their siblings and that they can give each other gifts that come from the heart. I think that this book would be great for kindergarteners and first graders.
Brittany Jacobson
Aug 26, 2014 Brittany Jacobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute book to read and I love the message it portrays to children. The fact that your valentine doesn't always have to be a significant others but just someone Who genuinely loves you.
Heather
Aug 23, 2010 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, henry
When I read this with O from the library I remember thinking... It's OK but nothing too special. Well I saw it at the Thrift Store and knew I had to have it for H. It's cute. :)
Tiffany
Feb 13, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet pictures, and great way to show children what a Valentine's Day card might look like. I loved Valentine's Day when I was little! Will you be my Valentine?
Edna
Big sister Minka gathers materials to make Little Mouse a valentine. Very sweet book and a good read aloud for young children.
Diana Thomsen
Feb 10, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
The "Mouse's First" books are often top storytime picks for me, and this was no exception. The kids loved the repetitive language, and I like how fun it is to read.
Gin
Gin rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Academianut
Academianut rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Emilee Wirth
Emilee Wirth rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Briana
Briana rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2009
Little
Little rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Stefanie Kellum
Stefanie Kellum rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Jen Nicol
Jen Nicol rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2014
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Just Like Daddy
  • The Night Before Valentine's Day (Reading Railroad Books)
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • The Birthday Box
  • Don't You Feel Well, Sam?
  • Mouse Mess