Start by marking “Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)

Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1)

(Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #11)

As the Yuuzhan Vongâs spectacular conquests continue unchecked, Luke Skywalker, Han and Leia Solo , and Wedge Antilles are forced to destroy what they have risked their lives to create. . . .

Scattering like rats before the Yuuzhan Vongâs invasion of Coruscant, the panic-stricken members of the New Republic Advisoryâs Council pause just long enough to set up a mock
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published March 26th 2002 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1)

Start your review of Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Return of the Rebel Alliance

The New Republic forces have taken Borleias as a staging area for the evacuation of the Inner Core. Self-appointed Chief of State, Pwoe, orders Wedge Antilles and gang to set up a defense for evacuees. But Wedge, Luke, and Mara have other plans...the plans for a new way of fighting. Meanwhile, Jaina the Trickster Goddess explodes onto the scene with the help of some old Wraiths.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

If I had to mark a book that began the turning of
Scott Rhee
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The New Republic, for all intents and purposes, has collapsed in the wake of the Fall of Coruscant and the scattering of the surviving members of the Galactic Senate. The confused and incompetent members of the New Republic Advisory Council---the only remaining governmental body left somewhat intact to issue orders---has ordered the fleet to take and hold planet Borleais as a staging area for an attempt at re-taking Coruscant.

Wedge Antilles, the leader of the fleet, knows that the order is
John
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vongs invasion of Coruscant. Luke Skywalker chooses a dangerous mission to try and change the tides of the ongoing war.
Wade Schacht
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The mock defense of Borleias is an interesting storyline that I love. Pwoe's declaration as Chief of State is so absurd I almost laughed, but hey, who knows, maybe the Star Wars galaxy is a lot more like America than we think!
Jeff Diamond
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I had not read anything by Aaron Allston prior to this book, and I have to say that I think that I have a new favorite in the Star Wars Galaxy. Michael Stackpole is good, and has some very engaging battles, but Allston has a more conversational style. More like he is telling you a story rather than writing a story. I feel like this can make it so that you feel more engaged in the narrative. It also allows for more idioms and more humor. The humor part is nice, because sometimes, I feel like an ...more
Ryan
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
So, after several books of them being scattered, we once again see all of the primary cast of the NJO get brought back together. This allows for some good character moments, and also allows the action to stay somewhat more focused around the events at hand.

And "action" is definitely the word to keep at hand with this book. It's fast-paced, with a lot more focus on the ship battles and space warfare than a lot of the other books in this series, which is fine for now, but could easily get boring
Jim C
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is now part of the Legends story line and continues the war with the Vong. In this one, the New Republic has lost Coruscant and this is their answer to that crushing defeat.

This book surprised me as I wasn't expecting much. It was good to see the whole gang together and I liked the inclusion of other characters from other books. The highlight of this book was the characters and how this author portrayed them. I was glad to see that not all characters were despondent and dramatic with their
Rogers Cadenhead
As a fan of Aaron Allston going back to his earliest RPG designs for Car Wars and Champions in the 1980s, I liked this book but felt like his creativity was constrained by the plot requirements required of the 12th book in a 19-book series (which I haven't read prior to this installment). The novel follows the fall of Coruscant to the Yuuzhan Vong. Starfighter squadrons and Jedi commanded by Wedge Antilles must take and hold the planet Borleias to help Coruscant refugees escape and regroup. ...more
Darryl Dobbs
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining setup to Book 2, this story focuses on the New Republic retaking the planet Borleias - almost as a 'lark' and really just to give the people of the NR something positive in this war. But when the surviving NR council members charge Wedge with holding the planet for as long as possible, he sees through their agenda (lose the planet, negotiate/surrender to the Vong) and adopts old Rebellion tactics. So we're left with some unorthodox and sneaky battle methods, including building ...more
Michelle Bacon
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I have never read a Star Wars novel until now. I've only ever watched the movies, but after delving into this great read, I want so much more. The book takes you way beyond the movies. Luke Skywalker is married to Mara Jade and has their infant, Ben. Anakin Solo has been killed and Jacen Solo is missing. Jaina has been found after her bout with the dark side and trying to get back her Jedi training. The Jedi are trying to regain control of Coruscant from Yhuuzang Von before the planet is ...more
Allana Solo
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, star-wars, own
ugh such a good book! I've had this particular one for years now and I started reading it a long time ago, didn't like it and put the book back on the shelf. I opened it up again and started it again. I'm so glad I gave this book a second chance because I learned more about some of my favorite characters, and it was just a really good book. It explored a lot of classic characters and it seems to be the beginning of the loss of everyone's home planet and the discovery that the oldest Solo is ...more
Bradley
Aaron Allston finally makes his glorious return to Star Wars literature with Rebel Dream , the first book in the Enemy Lines duology.

For those of you who are disgruntled, and barely want to continue reading the New Jedi Order , I understand. However, if all the NJO books were as well written as Rebel Dream, your attitudes would be completely opposite. Allston has done a great job with this novel, and I must applaud him for it.

He brings great life to nearly all the characters, making none of
Cameron Roubique
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
This one was soooooo boring. You get these from time to time when reading Star Wars. Nothing but boring battle plan meetings, characters talking about their feelings, and a few low stakes spaceship battles. Take the slow parts of Return of the Jedi between Jabba's Palace and Endor and stretch it out to 300 pages, that's basically this book. I'll never understand why so many SW fans like these X-Wing-Wedge-centric books. Probably gonna take a break from Star Wars for a while.
Adil
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 9-grade, 2018-g9-g10
One of the best New Jedi Order series books so far. Loved the writing and the dynamic character relationships and easy-to-understand, yet complicated plot. Builds off the slightly less well-written Dark Journey. I expect great things from the next book.
All-in-all, a great read.
Andrea
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rob
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of story lines started, It is book 1 of the Enemy Lines series, not sure how many books for this one but felt a bit lost at the start, Still this is a Good Read. I look forward to continuing the rest of the series and see where it leads.
Zachary Sell
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This might not be cannon anymore, but it has so many great characters I wish were cannon I can't ignore its greatness. This just feels like Star Wars! Amazing characterization even with so many characters.
Michael Wiggins
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Thank goodness Jacen is still missing, so I don't have to read about his incessant dithering. Jaina puts away the force lightning but embraces the Yuuzhan Vong's trickster god as her mascot. She uses this new psychological weapon/persona to good effect.
Alfred
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The war continues. Janna grows stronger in the force.
Dalen
Exactly the sort of book you want for a Star Wars novel. A touch of humor, the characters you love, good action sequences.
Matt Bergevin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picks up the pace from the previous book. Lots of space battles and action. Good development of the Jaina / Kyp / Jag relationship triangle. Sets up the next book well.
Alroma
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel was so fantastic.
Jaime K
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
From the back: I'm glad to see that Luke is taking action - finally! But his strategies are inconsistent with the previous NJO books. He wants a new "Rebel Alliance," becomes frustrated with Mara when she wants to stay with Ben instead of fight, and then thinks that his wife is being irrational.
Meanwhile, he has been staying a pacifist through everything...

To me, Luke is a bit OOC.

I smile when reading the Dramatis Personae. The setup alone is great, but seeing that Wedge, Iella, Piggy, and Face
Daniel
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aaron Allston brings with him many of the characters from the Wraith Squadron books (part of the X-Wing series), actual military tactics, humor, and some great character moments.

This one is pretty short, and I almost feel like it should have just been combined with the sequel, Rebel Stand (which I haven't gotten to yet). However, it stands pretty well on its own, just keeping in mind it's the first in a duology within the New Jedi Order series.

Probably the biggest strength is the character
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the cataclysmic events of Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 9) (and the relatively pointless distraction of Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 10)), I was ready for another full scale New Jedi Order novel. Enter Star Wars veteran Aaron Allston (X-Wing: Wraith Squadron) and his Enemy Lines "duology".

Book 1 - Rebel Dream - finds our heroes finally making an effective strike at the Yuuzhan Vong by retaking the planet Borlais, which was used by the Vong as a
Jonathan Nonnemacher
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-jedi-order
As other reviewers have stated, Rebel dream brings some excitement and freshness back to the New Jedi Order series. I was not impressed at all with the immediate predecessors in the series, Star by Star and Dark Journey.

Allston invigorated characters like Wedge, Lando, and the Intelligence agents with wit to keep the dialogue snappy.

I was intrigued by the plot developments for the overall story arc. I am actually looking forward to reading the next entry in the duology, Rebel Stand. I was a
Michael Church
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I loved this book. The NJO series had really started to go stale on me, but this absolutely 100% revitalized my enjoyment of it. I'm currently reading the sequel (nearly finished) and they blend so well together. The stories are split just enough to give focus to each of the divergent threads. Characters come and go in a manner that makes you say "THAT'S what they were doing?!" The final twist and confrontation is just stunning. As someone who's relatively new to the extended universe, it came ...more
Delray Beach Public Library
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-2016-teens
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order
Rebel Dream by Aaron Allston

In this edition of the New Jedi order, times are grim. Coruscant, capital of the New Republic and regarded as the Jewel of the Galaxy has been captured by the retched enemy of the Vong. The panicking New Republic council has decided to hold a mock defense at Borleias in order to buy time for their escape, an act that is easily seen through by all including the Jedi. As Leia and Han travel and try to convince worlds of rebellion
Mark
The New Jedi Order has been one setback after another for the heroes, who are often hampered by the political establishment, because that's just how it goes. With the fall of Coruscant and the rump of the Republic trying to appease the Yuuzhan Vong, an enterprising Wedge Antilles negotiates enough of a veneer of legitimacy to wage the military campaign he wants to wage.

The Enemy Lines duology bring a little fun back into the EU that's sapped by the NJO. No surprise it's at the hands of Aaron
Andrew
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better New Jedi Order books. It's a really bad time for the New Republic, but the book isn't as depressing as some of the others (like Star by Star).

Jaina and Wedge are the main characters. Both have heavy burdens but do a fair job of managing them. Jaina deals with constant death by trying to separate herself from others, but that doesn't work because she's pretending to be the Yuuzhan Vong trickster goddess (and gods need to be noticed). Wedge has to deal with a government
« previous 1 3 next »

• Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • Ylesia (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14.5)
  • Recovery (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6.5)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
  • The Joiner King (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #1)
  • Tempest (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #3)
  • Inferno (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #6)
  • Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #5)
  • Invincible (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #9)
  • I, Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Rogue Planet
  • Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #2)
  • The Swarm War (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #3)
  • Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
  • Star Wars: Survivor's Quest

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Dark Tide I: Onslaught
  • Ruin (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
“Tycho, we're about to achieve a tremendous victory we don't want."
"We'll put that in your biography. General Antilles was so good he couldn't fail when he tried to."
"Thanks."

Wedge & Tycho”
19 likes
“That was interesting."
"He deliberately countermanded one of my orders."
"He was furtive."
"Sneaky, even."
"We'll make a Rebellion-style pilot of him yet."

Tycho & Wedge (about Jag)”
19 likes