Start by marking “Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)

Dark Tide I: Onslaught

(Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #2)

In this epic of unsurpassed action and imagination, Michael Stackpole helps to launch an exciting new era in Star Wars® history. ONSLAUGHT pits the battle-tested heroes of the past--Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia Organa Solo--along with the next generation of Jedi and droids, against fearsome never-before-encountered enemies from beyond the galactic rim . . .

It is a pe
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 2000 by Del Rey (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tide I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Tide I

Start your review of Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
Terence
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Onslaught book 2 of the New Jedi Order was an alright sequel to Vector Prime. The author did well overall, but it demonstrates one of the Star Wars novels weaknesses...varying authors. Different authors provide different experiences which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it hard to know what to expect. Plus I've found I dislike a few authors in the Star Wars series which makes it difficult to enjoy the series. Onslaught was solid, but I missed seeing a Yuuzhan Vong as a point of view ...more
Scott Rhee
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Dangers of Neutrality: Political Strife in the New Republic
Why Pacifists Within the Galactic Senate are Attempting to Block a New Jedi Council and What that Could Mean in the Face of Potential War with the Yuuzhan Vong

(This article first appeared in the New Republic magazine, The Lightsaber, on 03.16.9054, 25 A.Y. It was pieced together from several articles by several journalists. Parts of Michael A. Stackpole’s book “Dark Tide I: Onslaught” were used as inspiration for this article.)

Af
Rick
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although Michael Stackpole is to blame for many of the problems that weigh down Dark Tide I: Onslaught (which I'll get to in a moment), I'm pointing my finger at the entire New Jedi Order editorial team. The decision to publish Onslaught directly after the cataclysmic Vector Prime is the novel's true undoing. Don't get me wrong, this is far from what I consider to be a good read, but its failures are compounded by its ill-conceived timing.

The events of Vector Prime had introduced a drastically d
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Easy isn't for Jedi"

The Yuuzhan Vong have entered the Outer Rim of the galaxy. Leia is attempting to garner support from the New Republic; Luke and Jacen head off to Belkadan to get further developments; Corran and Ganner head to Bimmiel to check up on some missing academics; Mara and Anakin head to Dantooine to attempt some R&R for Mara.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

I thought Vector Prime was a great entry into this most recent, more gritty series. But Onslaught is amazing. It is a perfe
Lance Shadow
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Special thank you to my goodreads pal Crystal Starr Light for sending me this entire book series! My attempt to read this massive storyline continues with Dark Tide I: Onslaught!

Vector Prime may not have been my favorite reading experience when it comes to Star Wars novels, but it proved to be a serviceable start to the series by introducing the Yuuzhan Vong in an interesting way and handling a major character death very effectively (view spoiler).
Michael A.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
A fun romp in the Star Wars legends universe, but not as good as the first book in the Jedi New Order series.
Jiří Budinský
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While Vector prime was merely an introduction of new Yuuzhan Vong era of Star Wars univere (altough left many of readers scared by certain death), Onslaught unleashes te full potential of NJO describing new arch enemies as something completely different than what readers have been used to.

As a Star Wars space tech enthusiast I really apreciated Stackpole's focus on Rogue Squadron. Some might miss the "classic" star wars character, but I consider it as a good thing, because the book is set about
Gregory
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the first Stackpole book I've read and he's a decent hammer and nails kind of writer. He doesn't get flowery with his prose but he is willing to ask some deeper questions about the role of the Jedi in the universe. This series "The New Jedi Order" is very interesting in that the younger generation (Skywalker and Solo children) are trying to find themselves while living in the tall shadows cast by their parents. They ask questions about the force that Luke and Leia didn't have the luxury ...more
Seth
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Much like the previous book in the series, it’s better than I remembered.
April
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time around

I enjoyed this book more the second time. I have always enjoyed the character of Corran Horn. I am sad he is not canon.
Jay DeMoir
Feb 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
uuuugh. im sorry. i just couldn’t do it anymore, i just didn’t care. this was boring AF.
DNF at 24%
Meggie
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it
For 2021, I decided to reread Del Rey’s first attempt at a multi-author book series in the Star Wars universe: The New Jedi Order, which was published between 1999 and 2003. This shakes out to 19 novels, two eBook novellas, three short stories, and a tangentially-related prequel era novel.

This week’s focus: the first book in the Dark Tide duology, Dark Tide: Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole.

SOME HISTORY:

Michael A. Stackpole originally planned to write the Dark Tide trilogy, not duology, but the
Wade Schacht
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somewhat of a repeat of Vector Prime.
Mark
Michael A. Stackpole is back, so of course Corran Horn's present as well. But as has been discussed previously, I like Corran, even for all his Mary Sue-ness, so that's fine.

Myriad groups are engaged in trying to figure out just who these Yuuzhan Vong are. Meanwhile, the Vong are invading, like, everywhere in the Outer Rim, including poor Lando's latest mining operation. This is another thing that distinguishes the Vong more than just about any EU antagonist since Thrawn. The conflict is galacti
Corey
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
As I was looking through the timeline of books before I started reading the New Jedi Order series I was a bit disappointed that Michael Stackpole wrote the #2 and #3 books. The only Stackpole book I've read previously was I,Jedi and I was not a fan of that one at all. I considered skipping these books all together. I'm glad I didn't. The book read very quickly and was full of action and some good political drama as well. I think the book may suffer a bit because it's so early in the New Jedi Ord ...more
William
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I appreciated the fact that Stackpole had so many issues to deal with here as he tried valiantly, and with great success, to portray what each one of the main characters was dealing with as the Yuuzhan Vong began their invasion. Anakin was still dealing with Chewie's death, Jaina's wish to fly with the Rogues, Jacen's exploration of the Force, Mara Jade's illness, Leia's confrontation with Fey'lya, etc. He added a Corran Horn and a Gavin Darklighter storyline too, and still pulled off an impress ...more
Jesse
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, starwars
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never ...more
Ren the Unclean
Aug 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: sci-fi
This book does a lot of housekeeping for the New Jedi Order series, which makes it interesting, but not incredible. Most of the characters settle into their roles in this new series and there is a lot of character development that fleshes out the personalities of the major players, especially the solo children.
John
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
Very good book.More about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion was revealed.All three of Han and Leias children play big roles in this book and Mara Jade Skywalker continues her battle against a undiagnosed life threatening illness.When master Jedi Luke Skywalker shows worry everyone should be afraid.Very afraid.
Ron
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Better than Stackpole's usual, though the hokey ending sort of ruins the whole thing. ...more
Mitchell George
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Vector Prime was both a massive fresh breath of air to me, someone who wasn't really happy with how the Sequel Trilogy turned out, and just a dang good book on it's own. With it marking the first volume in the long-running New Jedi Order series, I was chomping at he bit to continue, as I did in Dark Tide I: Onslaught. My expectations were high, I won't lie - after how engaging Vector Prime was, a mere prologue to the coming conflict, Onslaught was sure to be even more so.

Well, yes and no.

The gro
Jesús Jr.
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Dark Tide I: Onslaught is the second book of the New Jedi Order and the first book of the Dark Tide Duology . While Vector Prime set up the Yuuzhan Vong, Onslaught continues to establish the new fearsome enemies to the galaxy. The book takes a slightly more diplomatic approach, with focusing on the Senate not believing Leia’s claims of the invading force. Due to this, an investigation is launched that Senator Elegos A’kla oversees along with a Bothan admrial and Gavin Darklighter, commander of R ...more
Hidekisohma
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
If there's one thing I will say about this book i will say this. If you're looking for a be all, end all battle book, or even book with a whole lotta stuff going on....this probably isn't the book for you.

What i WILL tell you, is that this is a setup book. What i mean by that is that they're using this book to setup stuff in the future for a bigger more epic battle with the bug people. Nothing really gets resolved in this book. There's a few battles here and there, but overall, it lacks the big
Darryl Dobbs
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The storyline got a lot better as I started to get used to the Yuuzhan Vong, an alien race who could not be felt in the Force and who didn’t use technology, but rather living ships and living implements for communication and weaponry. This is the first real story of the new Jedi order together and fighting a common evil. That includes an older Corran Horn, and a grown-up Kyp Durran. The Solo children are more deeply involved in ‘real’ Jedi business. A very exciting story with plenty of action, t ...more
Joseph
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Good, but not great book. The upcoming "real" battle with the Vong's seems to be coming soon and this book does a nice job of setting it up. They really don't expand the Vong's in general thought. I liked some of the character development of the Solo kids although they are only 16 and 15 right? He treats them like they are 25 or something. The whole Jacen thinking Danni is hot or something is pretty much typical of what a 16 year old would think of a 21 year old girl. Makes sense, right? Well im ...more
Will
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Book 2 in the New Jedi Order series, continues to follow the New Republic's issue with a new enemy, the Yuuzhon Vong.

Stackpole does a good job with a battle filled novel, with limited political and just jibber-jabber. Most of the SW characters are involved, except Han Solo, who is struggling with the death of his best friend from the previous novel.

The Yuuzhon Vong are used very well, and not until the end of the novel, does one even have a name per se, with speaking. They remind me at times to
Michael Joosten
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continuing my New Jedi Order reread with the actual book I read first--largely because the local library has a copy of Dark Tide: Onslaught before it has a copy of Vector Prime. I read a lot of Star Wars in those days, but I didn't spend money on it, and I hadn't yet figured out inter-library loan, so my reading was a bit spotty, especially for anything post-dating Del Rey's replacement of Bantam as Lucasfilm's print publisher.

Onslaught is generally superior to Vector Prime, though it's not a fa
Christian Santos
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, so Vector Prime is justified for its great story telling, but what about veteran author Michael Stackpole's change on the story created by R.A. Salvatore? Will I be able to justify much? Let me sum it up, yeah. Mostly.

The first book of the Dark Tide duology, Onslaught covers the massive invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong on the certain undefended parts of the galaxy- making their onslaught look like one hell of a galactic standpoint that desperately needs the bumbling council's decision to enac
Jordan Anderson
I had some slight doubts going into Onslaught. Between the disappointing comic version of Rogue Squadron and the average reviews of other readers, I feared Stackpole was going to drop the ball, so to speak, on only the second novel in The New Jedi Order series and completely undermine what R.A. Salvatore established with Vector Prime.

Thankfully, it’s safe to say that those fears were unfounded. Onslaught is a worthy successor to Vector Prime and easily carries the story into the next book.

Onsla
Abe Froman
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
After a very disappointing first book of New Jedi Order, I wasn’t sure I would be committing to the series. I’m still not sure, but Onslaught was a solid installment in the story. Stackpole’s writing is quick and doesn’t overly focus on detail, making this a quick read.

The low point for me was definitely the Corran chapters. It didn’t heavily affect the overall plot, and if they had been taken out altogether, nothing would have changed.

It is more a matter of personal preference, but I enjoy cha
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
  • Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Force Heretic I: Remnant (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Force Heretic II: Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • Force Heretic III: Reunion (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Recovery (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6.5)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
War
See top shelves…

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Dark Tide II: Ruin (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
  • Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)

News & Interviews

“I am so glad I found you and didn't kill you"
- Mara Jade Skywalker to Luke Skywalker”
16 likes
“As long as I'm fighting, I'm not dying."
- Mara Jade Skywalker”