Start by marking “Mostly Dark” as Want to Read:
Mostly Dark

Mostly Dark

Like the phases of the moon, Mostly Dark waxes and wanes with thirty tales of darkness and light. An intriguing maelstrom of broken minds and broken hearts, from revenge to desire, from new found love to soulmates, herein lies a tale for everyone. Prepare your senses for an emotional and sometimes terrifying ride.
Published September 6th 2016 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Mostly Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mostly Dark

Start your review of Mostly Dark
Dianne
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Kate’s MOSTLY DARK perfectly describes each brief tale of a darker slice of life, death and even love. These complete tales are rich in the atmosphere of a much larger read and leave the doors open to the reader’s imagination for more!

Take a moment or two to read one piece at a time or feast on the entire menu! Get your darkness fix with brutal murders and dark love, guns, knives and always expect the unexpected!

A wonderfully dark collection from an author who has created something for
Angela
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Equal parts terrifying and bittersweet, Miranda Kate's masterfully crafted Mostly Dark held me hostage from page one. Swept up in brutal murder scenes and intimate moments between lovers, the pages flew by and left me wanting more. Each piece of flash fiction felt complete while tickling my soul with unanswered questions and an ache to know more.

Miranda Kate has long been one of my favorite flash fiction writers. When I saw this anthology on sale I bought it without hesitation. I'm eager to read
D. George
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is incredibly difficult to tell a satisfying tale in a short story, much less flash fiction, but this author does a very good job doing so. These 30 tales are all 3 pages or under (bearing in mind that this is a mini book, only 4.75" x 7"), yet you feel satisfied that you know all there is to know about each particular situation. And there were surprises in the stories - some didn't end up where I thought! I read the book quite quickly, always wondering what would happen in the next story. ...more
Shelly Hammond
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like flash fiction then you will like this book!
Mostly Dark has a lot of stories in a nice little package. It's not an easy task to tell a whole story in such a short amount of time but it's accomplished well here. I'm new to the flash fiction scene so there were a few times I was left looking at the page wanting to know what happened next but for the most part these are a page or less and completely told stories. They range from horror to love stories and every single thing in between. I
Dhramveer Singh
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
brilliant read, small stories, each of which instill some of the emotions fear, hatred, scorn etc.. anything but joy..
And that makes it a successful read..
Valencia
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't actually read this book but I'm majorly excited and will update this review when I do!
Kevin Hammond
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one is a series of short stories, more like flash fiction where there is a central theme to it all- the dark. But how wonderful and unexpected some of the stories are.
Not everything in here will turn out so dark in nature. I think that was a great choice on the part of the writer. Some of the stories become something a little more unexpected. How this affected me was I kept pushing on, wanting to read more of it. I was left wondering how the next story was going to end after so many
Jessica Maybury
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in two bus journeys, and felt like I was anywhere but on public transportation. MK has a clarity to her writing and an immediacy of description that is often attempted but rarely achieved.

Each story in this piece could so easily be the beginning of something bigger. Here are characters at their most raw turning points; here they are when they are most uniquely themselves.

Lizzie Koch
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing and dark bite sized stories that will stay with me long after finishing them.
Well written in a crisp, clear and succinct style, the stories grip you, filling and feeding your mind with Miranda's wonderfully dark imagination. Excellent to dip in and out of or, like me, you devour one story after the other.
A.J. Walker
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all thirty of these stories. Each are between 400 - 1000 words or so, so it's easy to dive in an out of. It's amazing how much Miranda can pack into a few small packages. It's part of the attraction of writing flash and short stories; getting sharp prose where not a word is wasted yet a scene or a feeling can be expertly described.

The tales are largely of love and death and the messy bits in-between. Expect guns, knives and poisons and that's just with the straightforward ones.

A lovely
Laura Huntley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delectable and entertaining collection of flash-fiction tales. I love the way that they come in separate sections based on the phases of the moon: waxing and waning.
Many of the stories, as the name of the book suggests, are extremely dark, which is what most appealed to me as a fan of all things horror. I wasn't disappointed.
Due to the short length of the stories, I thought that I would dip my toe and quickly read a couple of stories this afternoon. However, I read the entire book in one
K.R. Smith
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Full Cycle of Stories

Mostly Dark is a flash fiction collection arranged in a way that takes the reader through a complete cycle of moods and emotions. There are stories of love, death, sexual tension, spirits, revenge - the list could go on. And the darker tales are more than just horror. Many tend toward the noir, and they are done well. This is exactly the sort of work where indie authors excel and, fortunately, Miranda has chosen to share her stories with us. The main problem most readers
S.J.I. Holliday
Dec 29, 2016
Lucianna Wolfstone
Oct 07, 2017
K
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2017
Gilly Riet
Oct 21, 2016
Miranda Kate
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Roberta
Dec 17, 2016

• Alone In The Light
  • Tales From The Eastern Wind: A Collection of Short Stories
  • The Seller of Sins
  • The Career Killer (DCI Mabey #1)
  • The Sentinels - Saving Her
  • Nocturnal Blood
  • Edge of the Rings  (The EDGE, #3)
  • Prince of Foxes: A Gothic Scottish Fairy Tale (Bright Spear Trilogy book 1)
  • Flammeus (The Emberjar Book 1)
  • Stay Mad, Sweetheart
  • Diary of a Circus Runaway
  • LOTTIE JONES AND THE MAGICAL REALMS: DRAGORON
  • THE KIRKWOOD SCOTT CHRONICLES: Skelly’s Square
  • Twice As Nice: And the Forbidden Alien Seed
  • Autumn Magic (Thorne Witches, #2)
  • Some Choose Darkness
  • From Dawn Until Forever!
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
Book loving, writer, who likes to read several books at a time because she's a bit crazy like that.

Go-to authors are Stephen King, James Herbert, Terry Pratchett, Raymond Feist and Clive Barker, with Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Robert A Heinlein and lots of others in between.

It's not so much about loving particular genres, as much as finding stories and characters to engage and resonate with - but I