Start by marking “Defy (Sinners of Saint, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Defy (Sinners of Saint, #0.5)

Defy

(Sinners of Saint 0.5)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  11,026 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews
Defy is a smutty, insta-love, insta-lust short novella. Defy is a prequel to Vicious (Sinners of Saint #1). It is recommended, but unnecessary, to read Defy before reading Vicious.

First included in Hot for Teacher Anthology: 19 Stories Filled with Lust and Love.

My name is Melody Greene, and I have a confession to make.
I slept with my student, a senior in high school.
Multip
Published January 31st 2017 (first published October 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Defy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
L.J. Shen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  11,026 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews

✦❋Arianna✦❋
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it

description

If you’re a fan of student-teacher romance, then you don’t want to miss this one. 'Defy' is the prequel to 'Vicious', the first installment in L.J. Shen’s newest series entitled 'Sinners of Saint' and it was one hot little gem I’ve read in one sitting. It was sexy and steamy and everything I’ve come to expect from this author.

“Oh, Melody, you’re so fucked. Luckily for you, you’re about to get fucked even harder.”

'Defy' tells the story of Melody, a twenty-six young woman whose life changes c
Candace
Ever since reading ‘Vicious’, I have been looking forward to reading the story of Jaime and Melody. I love a forbidden love story and says “taboo” like a student-teacher romance. ‘Defy’ was everything that I had hoped for. I devoured this quick read and all of it’s naughty goodness!

After her dream career as a dancer comes to a tragic end, she is forced to pursue a lackluster job as a high school Literature teacher. With no real interest in teaching, she is less than enthused to face the spoiled
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
www.prettymessreading.com

Listen on iTunes and more by clicking below. . .

Subcribe/Listen to podcast

Pretty Mess Reading iTunes Podcast img_8732 img_8731 img_8735

Christy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-four-stars
4 stars!!!
 photo 20375616_10104024771836848_1383337608920007812_n_zpsvnpd3s3p.jpg
Who was the grown-up here? Who was corrupting who?
I LOVE forbidden love stories, and after reading Vicious I was excited to see there was a novella about teacher Melody Greene, and her student, Jaime Followhill.

Melody is a 26 year old teacher who only ever wanted to be a dancer. When she got hurt, everything changed for her. Jaime is one of the four HotHoles in Todos Santos. He is 18 and he, along with his three friends Vicious, Dean, and Trent run the school. Melody is their te
Sophia Triad
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so HOT! Hotter than I expected actually.

I suppose most readers became familiar with All Saints High and the four Hotholes after reading the book “Vicious”. The four ruthless teenagers and rulers of the Todos Santos are: our infamous Vicious, the team captain Trent, Emilia’s ex boyfriend Dean and Jaime the son of the principal.

So, if you have read “Vicious” you will know that Jaime is the quieter out of the four and that he has a huge crush on his Literature teacher. And that makes our
Elizabeth
"Doing this was almost begging to get caught."
description

Defy is by far the sexiest forbidden romance novella that has ever graced my Kindle. When instant attraction, lust, love, money, and power all combine into one unstoppable force, you know you are in for one unforgettable ride.

description
"I like the chase. You make me sweat somewhere besides a football field. Turns out...that's the exercise I've been looking for."
Melody Greene is a young teacher who has found herself in the heart of an affluent community f
Bibi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one worked. Every aspect of the "forbidden" relationship was written perfectly. Ever since reading Sparrow, I've come to realize LJ's writing style works for me. There's hardly any flowery prose and the Hs are usually Alphas with a capital A!

From reading the blurb I knew what to expect, I got much more however, and the story- as short as it was- never felt contrived or lacking.

Jamie is 18, a senior in high school while Melody at 26, is his- almost inept- teacher. Jamie was cocky (18, ric
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 48e2d8eee95c22a0d23e98f4cc3c96_zpsah4tktla.gif

Pardon my language but L.J. Shen has written one of the hottest student teacher forbidden romance that I have read this year. In this sexy and steamy novella, she introduces readers to Melody Greene, a newly acquired teacher at an elite private high school and her hot sizzling forbidden romance with a student that is eight years younger than her.

#Defy2

Melody loved to dance but when an unforeseen accident derailed her dream, she is left with the
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

I LOVE this author's writing style!!!

If you’re a fan of student-teacher romance, like myself, you NEED to read this prequel.

Ever since reading Vicious I have been in love with the HotHoles. Getting my hands on Defy was just the icing on the cake.

When Jamie and Melody were mentioned in Vicious I perked up. A younger student married to his teacher? Call me intrigued!!

Defy was the prequel to Vicious and gave a little more detail and insight into the group's dynamic. No wonder they were still the be
Evgeny
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Evgeny by: Tpagirl
Shelves: erotica
Melody Greene broke her ankle just before hitting it big as a ballerina in NYC.
Ballerina
Coming back to her hometown she realized her parents almost gave up on her for letting them down (the moral of the story is, never ever get your expectations too high when it comes to your kids), but at least they found her a job as a teacher at a local high school - if somebody can explain to me what English Lit and ballet have in common and why being good at the latter qualifies you for a position in former I would
Sabrina
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

♫Listened to on audio for a re-read♫
The story was, of course, just as amazing as it was the first time I read it. I can't say I was a huge fan of the narrator though. Honestly if it wasn't only a 3 hour book I probably would have given up on it since I couldn't really get on board with her telling of the story.

I am a huge fan of teacher-student romances, but I've never actually read one where it was the Hero that was the student. I really liked the change LJ She
L.J. Shen
Jan 31, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
DEFY is LIVE!

Amazon US >>> https://goo.gl/Kaz7FX
Amazon UK >>> https://goo.gl/g9KjNc
Amazon CA >>> https://goo.gl/34Lt63
Amazon AU >>> https://goo.gl/VWRDlj
Olga therebelreader
I actually really enjoyed Defy ! It was so passionate and intense and HOT! This story was about a forbidden love involving an age difference. It was about a student and teacher falling head-over-heels in love. The teacher was female and there was an 8 year age gap between the two characters. I liked Melody and Jamie and the way their relationship developed. I was also glad that Vicious made an appearance as well!!

It was wrong, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like how wrong it felt. Whether
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DEFY: Holy Heck this was Hot!! If I wasn't hooked on this series before I sure am now!! These boys just get dirtier, hotter, off the rails panty wetting hot!! This here pretty much sums it all up!! Defy is a smutty, insta-love, insta-lust short novella. and it pretty much lived up to its name!! I just wish it was longer because I devoured this, chocked on it, inhaled it, loved it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic My cock will only have two homes. Your mouth and your pussy. Ass, too, if you're feeling adventurous.

I
Elle
4.5* when predators strike STARS!!

Review @ Midnight Romance

OMG! I couldn't believe it! After the failed attempt of Sparrow and Blood to Dust, LJ Shen finally ruined me. I have the most major hangover for this bad boy. A forbidden love story between teacher-student is already mainstream, but I don't suspect this to be engaging and addictive.
... you’re so fucked. Luckily for you, you’re about to get fucked even harder.

Melody Greene works as a teacher in All Saints High where the rich kids wit
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

^^^This is me, throwing all my reservations up in the air. It was helpful going into this novella knowing it was smutty fun with instalove/instalust because I knew what was to come.

Defy is a prequel novella to Vicious centering on the teacher/student affair between Melody and her student Jaime. Melody hates her job at an elite high school, and her boss the principal seems to hate her too. One day Jaime accidentally crashes into Jaime's car, and from that encounter he makes it clear tha
Paige
*Reread and loved it even more*

5 "Defied" Stars

Well, knock my socks off -- literally. (you'll get it if you've read the book lol). I loved this. I'm gonna be honest, I was so nervous. Like really nervous. I have only ever *really* liked two student/teacher romances. I taught school so reading about these kinds of relationships is always hard for me. So in all honesty I was a little bit apprehensive to read this. But holy, WOW. I LOVED it. Like couldn't stop and even when I felt a *tad* uncomfort
Michelle
*ARC provided by the author for an honest review*

This author just keeps getting better an better

This is seriously hot an I luvd every bit of it this student and teacher forbidden story is just great I m not really a huge fan of student and teacher books but I couldn't get enough of this the story was full of drama I can't believe how much the author got into this book cause really there was so much that happened in it

Melody and Jamie's characters r really good I liked how Jamie pushed himsel
Natalie The Biblioholic
Blog Tour + Giveaway!!

Oh wow! Jaime was crazy hot. Emphasis on him being a little loco. But his cray cray was hot too lol! What is in the water in Todos Santos that has created such fine specimens of manliness??? I honestly couldn't get enough of Jaime. Even though the story is told primarily from Melody's perspective, I was anxiously waiting to see what he would say or do next.

After a failed career as a ballet dancer, Melody finds herself teaching at a high school for the extra privileged. At
JewelsyGoolsy
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
4.5 -short and enjoyable- Stars

After reading Vicious, I just HAD to read about Jaimie and Melody's taboo relationship. This was short, sexy and oh so satisfying! I'm honestly not big on teacher x student romances and cringed when I had to one-click a whole anthology of this genre (Hot for Teacher Anthology: Nineteen Stories Filled with Love and Lust) just to read this short nugget of hotness *still cringing*.

But some of the other authors blurbs in this Hot for Teacher Anthology have sparked my
Snow
4.5 "hot for a teach" stars

I usually roll my eyes on "insta-love" stuff BUT I fuckin dig "insta lust" and this is LJ Shen, we are talking about...nuf said

But this was actually a very compact story for a novella and a damn fine little number of hotness...I'll give you that!

Fantastic introduction into series, even though i've read it backwards, reading book 1 Vicious before this gem...

Loved the characters, both James/Jamie and Melody/Mel...there was a little bit of everything in it, angst, steam,
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
Defy managed to defy my expectations! It’s beyond great!

The blurb sums the book up well. It’s a short, sexy, insta-love novella that’s also a bit taboo.
Novellas aren’t typically my thing. I’m so greedy, I always crave more. However, this one really hit the spot. Defy works well within the constraints of the length. It definitely served its purpose well and made me crave more of these characters.

Here’s the breakdown: 26-year-old Melody Greene has a difficult job teaching wealthy privileged hi
Dilek VT
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, novella
I wish this were a 300-page novel instead of a novella...

Normally I never prefer to read a novella as they do not satisfy me at all. They make me feel as if chapters of a long novel have been torn apart and I am reading what is left. Things happen too quickly, there is not enough depth to the characters etc. But I had to read this because it was about one of the HotHoles of Saint High! Having fallen in love with VICIOUS, I had to read about his friend Jamie.

Although Ms. Shen writes very skilfull
Jen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

So, I've seen lots of love for the newly released Vicious by L.J. Shen. When reading more about Vicious I noticed there was a short novella that was released prior. In the blurb it was recommended, but not required, to read Defy first. After some searching I finally found it and decided to check it out. If you like the taboo teacher-student reads, then definitely give this one a go.

Melody Greene is a twenty six year old high school teacher. It's not her dream job by any means. She was supposed
Violina The Romance Lover
4 HOT DAMN stars!

L.J Shen countinues to make me want to read every book she had ever written. Her ideas are fresh and hot and intriguing. I love when I read about strong heroines and even more when the heroes are REAL men, not some afraid of commitment or attachment or too broody and.. you get the idea! .

So, if you are fan lover of taboo stories - like teacher/student romance - you need to read this one! The thrill about their relationship and the chemistry they got. This romance is
Norah Una Sumner
Well, this was interesting. *winkwink*

I love L.J. Shen's writing style so much and the chemistry she makes between her characters. Defy is a prequel novella in the Sinners of Saint series & I decided to read this baby before I start Vicious. First of all, I love all of L.J. Shen's covers. They are so gorgeous, am I right or what? Second of all, I love her imperfect characters with both a dark and light side. Defy is perhaps a bit insta-lusty but I still liked it and thought it was hella good
Perry ★TBBSisterhood Blog★
4.5 Forbidden Hothole Stars

I thought Vicious, Book 1 in the Sinners of Saint series, was super entertaining. It was decadent in just the right amounts and I was intrigued about Vicious and the entire HotHoles crew enough that I was left wanting more. So, naturally, I was besides myself when I realized Defy was coming out soon and it would feature Jaime Followhill. He just struck me as such a dreamy guy in Vicious, with his man bun, his sun tanned, blonde good looks and his utter devotion to Melo
~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~
HOLY SHIT that was HAWT!!! Forbidden romance as never been so well done! And this is a novella! I both read Defy before and after Vicious so it was a must read. The added scenes are pure bliss!

description

In Defy you have Melody Greene, teacher and Jamie, on of the Four Hotholes in a decadent affair. Sleeping with his student is very much forbidden and falling in love unthinkable.

“Next time you bend over like this, Ms. G, make sure I’m not behind you, or this’ll end up on National Geographic: ‘When Predato
Rebecca Woodward
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
4.5 Stars!!
A.taboo read teacher falls for her student. But not just any student he is one of the Hotholes in a small rich people beach town in California. Wealth, hotness and jock. All combine into a beautiful package. The student does turn eighteen before anything happens but when it does oh boy!! She is 9 years ahead of him. A small dainty ballerina who can't help but feel something for the hot young male jock. I was so happy the Author gives us an epilogue and some years later epilogue. I ca
Karla
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This novella sure packed a punch with a student/teacher forbidden relationship that was off the charts hot! A quick read and a great introduction to the series "sinners of saint" we meet Jamie one of the "hotholes" of Todos Santos high. Melody is a teacher at TS high were she soon finds herself in a illicit affair with Jamie.

Loved this short novella it was filled with sexiness and some drama I just wished it would of been longer. I thinking the story had potential to be a full story. C
  • Give In
  • Some like It Spicy (A Perfect Recipe, #1)
  • Dare to Stay (The Sons of Steel Row, #2)
  • Ex-Rated Attraction: A Forbidden Romance Story
  • Lessons in Corruption (The Fallen Men, #1)
  • WereSlave (Were Legends, #1)
  • Bad Boy Valentine (The Hard and Dirty Holidays, #2)
  • Pr*ck Charming (Royally Screwed, #4)
  • Wolf (Hellbound Lovers MC, #1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Glass Cage
  • Bishop's Angel
  • Becoming His Muse - Part 2 (Becoming His Muse, #2)
  • Stepdaddy Savage (Savage People, #1)
  • Luke's Present (Morning Report, #3.5)
  • The Widow (The Professor, #3)
  • Don't Look
  • A Change of View (Northern Lights, #2)
L.J. Shen is USA Today and Washington Post bestselling author of contemporary romance books. She lives in California with her husband, son and lazy cat.
When she's not writing, she enjoys reading a good book with a glass of wine and catching up on her favorite HBO and Netflix shows.

Yeah, she's a badass like that.

Keep up with L.J. on all platforms:
Newsletter Sign up ➜ http://goo.gl/FwfMzr
Facebook➜

Sinners of Saint (4 books)
  • Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1)
  • Ruckus (Sinners of Saint, #2)
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint, #3)
  • Bane (Sinners of Saint, #4)
“Because that was the problem with society. It cared too much about who you fell in love with but never about why. The why matters.” 20 likes
“Why the anchor?"
"Because sometimes, it's nice to feel like there's someone who can save you.”
9 likes