Start by marking “Defy (Sinners of Saint, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Defy (Sinners of Saint, #0.5)

Defy

(Sinners of Saint #0.5)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  21,329 ratings  ·  2,357 reviews
Defy is a smutty, insta-love, insta-lust short novella. Defy is a prequel to Vicious (Sinners of Saint #1). It is recommended, but unnecessary, to read Defy before reading Vicious.

First included in Hot for Teacher Anthology: 19 Stories Filled with Lust and Love.

My name is Melody Greene, and I have a confession to make.
I slept with my student, a senior in high school.
Multip
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 165 pages
Published January 31st 2017 by L.J. Shen (first published October 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Defy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
L.J. Shen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,329 ratings  ·  2,357 reviews

Start your review of Defy (Sinners of Saint, #0.5)
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it

description

If you’re a fan of student-teacher romance, then you don’t want to miss this one. 'Defy' is the prequel to 'Vicious', the first installment in L.J. Shen’s newest series entitled 'Sinners of Saint' and it was one hot little gem I’ve read in one sitting. It was sexy and steamy and everything I’ve come to expect from this author.

“Oh, Melody, you’re so fucked. Luckily for you, you’re about to get fucked even harder.”

'Defy' tells the story of Melody, a twenty-six young woman whose life c
Candace
Ever since reading ‘Vicious’, I have been looking forward to reading the story of Jaime and Melody. I love a forbidden love story and says “taboo” like a student-teacher romance. ‘Defy’ was everything that I had hoped for. I devoured this quick read and all of it’s naughty goodness!

After her dream career as a dancer comes to a tragic end, she is forced to pursue a lackluster job as a high school Literature teacher. With no real interest in teaching, she is less than enthused to face the spoiled
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
www.prettymessreading.com

Listen on iTunes and more by clicking below. . .

Subcribe/Listen to podcast

Pretty Mess Reading iTunes Podcast img_8732 img_8731 img_8735

Sophia Triad
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so HOT! Hotter than I expected actually.

I suppose most readers became familiar with All Saints High and the four Hotholes after reading the book “Vicious”. The four ruthless teenagers and rulers of the Todos Santos are: our infamous Vicious, the team captain Trent, Emilia’s ex boyfriend Dean and Jaime the son of the principal.

So, if you have read “Vicious” you will know that Jaime is the quieter out of the four and that he has a huge crush on his Literature teacher. And that makes our
Christy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars
 photo 20375616_10104024771836848_1383337608920007812_n_zpsvnpd3s3p.jpg
Who was the grown-up here? Who was corrupting who?

I LOVE forbidden love stories, and after reading Vicious I was excited to see there was a novella about teacher Melody Greene, and her student, Jaime Followhill.

Melody is a 26 year old teacher who only ever wanted to be a dancer. When she got hurt, everything changed for her. Jaime is one of the four HotHoles in Todos Santos. He is 18 and he, along with his three friends Vicious, Dean, and Trent run the school. Melody i
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
So I got Vicious from Netgally a while back(sorry I totally forgot I had it). I decided I would read it, and seen the whole series was on my audible romance package. So I thought wow this is fate. I need to read the whole series, and downloaded Defy. I love me some taboo romances. The forbidden fruit is so yummy. And while I enjoyed this read, I didn't care for the Melody. I loved Jaime. The problem was 18 year old Jaime felt more like the adult and 26 Melody came off like a 12 year old wannabe. ...more
Wendy
4,5

I am a big fan of L.J. Shen's work and so I loved reading the "Sinners of Saint" series. In light of her new series 'All Saints High" almost coming out, I figured I would do a re-read of all the books so everything is fresh in my mind. Now imagine my surprise (read: shock) when I found out I never read Jamie's story !!! I just don't understand how this happened !!

in shock gif - Google zoeken

Of course, when I found out (a few hours ago), I put everything else aside and fixed the error of my ways... Normally I would b

Bibi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one worked. Every aspect of the "forbidden" relationship was written perfectly. Ever since reading Sparrow, I've come to realize LJ's writing style works for me. There's hardly any flowery prose and the Hs are usually Alphas with a capital A!

From reading the blurb I knew what to expect, I got much more however, and the story- as short as it was- never felt contrived or lacking.

Jamie is 18, a senior in high school while Melody at 26, is his- almost inept- teacher. Jamie was cocky (18, ric
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Well this was SOMETHING. When I went to rate Vicious and saw that this prequel existed, I obviously had to check it out bc I was intrigued by how the teacher/student relationship would be handled. In all fairness, I got exactly what I expected to get going in. The student was 18 so ~*everything was legal*~ but I can't lie and say that this didn't feel mega predatory. But again, I knew what was coming so I really only have myself to blame???? If you're into the taboo age-gap thing you'll probably ...more
✰ Liz ✰
"Doing this was almost begging to get caught."
description

Defy is by far the sexiest forbidden romance novella that has ever graced my Kindle. When instant attraction, lust, love, money, and power all combine into one unstoppable force, you know you are in for one unforgettable ride.

description
"I like the chase. You make me sweat somewhere besides a football field. Turns out...that's the exercise I've been looking for."
Melody Greene is a young teacher who has found herself in the heart of an affluent communi
Corina
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you’re a fan of student-teacher romance, like myself, you NEED to read this prequel.

Ever since reading Vicious I have been in love with the HotHoles. Getting my hands on Defy was just the icing on the cake.

When Jamie and Melody were mentioned in Vicious I perked up. A younger student married to his teacher? Call me intrigued!!

Defy was the prequel to Vicious and gave a little more detail and insight into the group's dynamic. No wonder they were still the best of friends as adults, the great le
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 48e2d8eee95c22a0d23e98f4cc3c96_zpsah4tktla.gif

Pardon my language but L.J. Shen has written one of the hottest student teacher forbidden romance that I have read this year. In this sexy and steamy novella, she introduces readers to Melody Greene, a newly acquired teacher at an elite private high school and her hot sizzling forbidden romance with a student that is eight years younger than her.

#Defy2

Melody loved to dance but when an unforeseen accident derailed her dream, she is left wit
Evgeny
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Evgeny by: Tpagirl Loves Romance
Shelves: romance
Melody Greene broke her ankle just before hitting it big as a ballerina in NYC.
Ballerina
Coming back to her hometown she realized her parents almost gave up on her for letting them down (the moral of the story is, never ever get your expectations too high when it comes to your kids), but at least they found her a job as a teacher at a local high school - if somebody can explain to me what English Lit and ballet have in common and why being good at the latter qualifies you for a position in former I would
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Oh wow! Jaime was crazy hot. Emphasis on him being a little loco. But his cray cray was hot too lol! What is in the water in Todos Santos that has created such fine specimens of manliness??? I honestly couldn't get enough of Jaime. Even though the story is told primarily from Melody's perspective, I was anxiously waiting to see what he would say or do next.

After a failed career as a ballet dancer, Melody finds herself teaching at a high school for the extra privileged. At 26 years old, she's no
Sabrina
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

♫Listened to on audio for a re-read♫
The story was, of course, just as amazing as it was the first time I read it. I can't say I was a huge fan of the narrator though. Honestly if it wasn't only a 3 hour book I probably would have given up on it since I couldn't really get on board with her telling of the story.

I am a huge fan of teacher-student romances, but I've never actually read one where it was the Hero that was the student. I really liked the change LJ She
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DEFY: Holy Heck this was Hot!! If I wasn't hooked on this series before I sure am now!! These boys just get dirtier, hotter, off the rails panty wetting hot!! This here pretty much sums it all up!! Defy is a smutty, insta-love, insta-lust short novella. and it pretty much lived up to its name!! I just wish it was longer because I devoured this, chocked on it, inhaled it, loved it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic My cock will only have two homes. Your mouth and your pussy. Ass, too, if you're
Olga therebelreader
I actually really enjoyed Defy ! It was so passionate and intense and HOT! This story was about a forbidden love involving an age difference. It was about a student and teacher falling head-over-heels in love. The teacher was female and there was an 8 year age gap between the two characters. I liked Melody and Jamie and the way their relationship developed. I was also glad that Vicious made an appearance as well!!

It was wrong, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like how wrong it felt. Wh
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

^^^This is me, throwing all my reservations up in the air. It was helpful going into this novella knowing it was smutty fun with instalove/instalust because I knew what was to come.

Defy is a prequel novella to Vicious centering on the teacher/student affair between Melody and her student Jaime. Melody hates her job at an elite high school, and her boss the principal seems to hate her too. One day Jaime accidentally crashes into Jaime's car, and from that encounter he makes it clear tha
Elle
4.5* when predators strike STARS!!

Review @ Midnight Romance

OMG! I couldn't believe it! After the failed attempt of Sparrow and Blood to Dust, LJ Shen finally ruined me. I have the most major hangover for this bad boy. A forbidden love story between teacher-student is already mainstream, but I don't suspect this to be engaging and addictive.
... you’re so fucked. Luckily for you, you’re about to get fucked even harder.

Melody Greene works as a teacher in All Saints High where the rich
Paige
*Reread and loved it even more*

5 "Defied" Stars

Well, knock my socks off -- literally. (you'll get it if you've read the book lol). I loved this. I'm gonna be honest, I was so nervous. Like really nervous. I have only ever *really* liked two student/teacher romances. I taught school so reading about these kinds of relationships is always hard for me. So in all honesty I was a little bit apprehensive to read this. But holy, WOW. I LOVED it. Like couldn't stop and even when I felt a *tad* uncomfort
Michelle
*ARC provided by the author for an honest review*

This author just keeps getting better an better

This is seriously hot an I luvd every bit of it this student and teacher forbidden story is just great I m not really a huge fan of student and teacher books but I couldn't get enough of this the story was full of drama I can't believe how much the author got into this book cause really there was so much that happened in it

Melody and Jamie's characters r really good I liked how Jamie pushed
JewelsyGoolsy
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
4.5 -short and enjoyable- Stars

After reading Vicious, I just HAD to read about Jaimie and Melody's taboo relationship. This was short, sexy and oh so satisfying! I'm honestly not big on teacher x student romances and cringed when I had to one-click a whole anthology of this genre (Hot for Teacher Anthology: Nineteen Stories Filled with Love and Lust) just to read this short nugget of hotness *still cringing*.

But some of the other authors blurbs in this Hot for Teacher Anthology have sparked my
Dilek VT
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, novella
I wish this were a 300-page novel instead of a novella...

Normally I never prefer to read a novella as they do not satisfy me at all. They make me feel as if chapters of a long novel have been torn apart and I am reading what is left. Things happen too quickly, there is not enough depth to the characters etc. But I had to read this because it was about one of the HotHoles of Saint High! Having fallen in love with VICIOUS, I had to read about his friend Jamie.

Although Ms. Shen writes very skilfull
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
Defy managed to defy my expectations! It’s beyond great!

The blurb sums the book up well. It’s a short, sexy, insta-love novella that’s also a bit taboo.
Novellas aren’t typically my thing. I’m so greedy, I always crave more. However, this one really hit the spot. Defy works well within the constraints of the length. It definitely served its purpose well and made me crave more of these characters.

Here’s the breakdown: 26-year-old Melody Greene has a difficult job teaching wealthy privileged
Snow
4.5 "hot for a teach" stars

I usually roll my eyes on "insta-love" stuff BUT I fuckin dig "insta lust" and this is LJ Shen, we are talking about...nuf said

But this was actually a very compact story for a novella and a damn fine little number of hotness...I'll give you that!

Fantastic introduction into series, even though i've read it backwards, reading book 1 Vicious before this gem...

Loved the characters, both James/Jamie and Melody/Mel...there was a little bit of everything in it, angst, steam,
Jess☺️
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Defy (a book from Sinners Of Saint's series) by L.J Shen is just that kind of book that's needed to pull you from a reading slump (it's January same every year 🙄) it's easy , sexy and very naughty with a happy ending.
If a 26 year-old teacher and an 18 student and their hot secret love affair ( which does last forever marriage and baby forever) is something your interested in then this is for you 📖
Erth
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK, I'll admit it, I read Vicious first, and was so very interested in Jaime's story. So when I had the opportunity to get my hands on Defy, I immediately one-clicked it and as soon as I had time I devoured this novella in one sitting!

Since I read Vicious first, I already knew how Jaime and Mel's story was going to end up, but that didn't stop me from wanting to see how these two ended up. Jaime is a cocky senior and one of the Hotholes. He can do whatever he wants and he knows it. Mel is his te
Jen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

So, I've seen lots of love for the newly released Vicious by L.J. Shen. When reading more about Vicious I noticed there was a short novella that was released prior. In the blurb it was recommended, but not required, to read Defy first. After some searching I finally found it and decided to check it out. If you like the taboo teacher-student reads, then definitely give this one a go.

Melody Greene is a twenty six year old high school teacher. It's not her dream job by any means. She was supposed
Violina The Romance Lover
4 HOT DAMN stars!

L.J Shen countinues to make me want to read every book she had ever written. Her ideas are fresh and hot and intriguing. I love when I read about strong heroines and even more when the heroes are REAL men, not some afraid of commitment or attachment or too broody and.. you get the idea! .

So, if you are fan lover of taboo stories - like teacher/student romance - you need to read this one! The thrill about their relationship and the chemistry they got. This romance
Norah Una Sumner
Well, this was interesting. *winkwink*

I love L.J. Shen's writing style so much and the chemistry she makes between her characters. Defy is a prequel novella in the Sinners of Saint series & I decided to read this baby before I start Vicious. First of all, I love all of L.J. Shen's covers. They are so gorgeous, am I right or what? Second of all, I love her imperfect characters with both a dark and light side. Defy is perhaps a bit insta-lusty but I still liked it and thought it was hella good for

• Dear Ava
  • Conclave (Devil's Night, #3.5)
  • Hideaway (Devil's Night, #2)
  • Corrupt (Devil's Night, #1)
  • Punk 57
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Enemies
  • Kill Switch (Devil's Night, #3)
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Tell Me Pretty Lies
  • Bad Influence (Bad Love #3)
  • Bad Habit (Bad Love, #1)
  • Sweet Temptation
  • Ruthless Knight (Royal Hearts Academy, #2)
  • Cruel King (Royal Elite, #0)
  • Credence
  • Black Knight (Royal Elite, #4)
  • Bad Intentions (Bad Love, #2)
L.J. Shen is USA Today and Washington Post bestselling author of contemporary romance books. She lives in California with her husband, son and lazy cat.
When she's not writing, she enjoys reading a good book with a glass of wine and catching up on her favorite HBO and Netflix shows.

Yeah, she's a badass like that.

Keep up with L.J. on all platforms:
Newsletter Sign up ➜ http://goo.gl/FwfMzr
Facebook➜

Sinners of Saint (4 books)
  • Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1)
  • Ruckus (Sinners of Saint, #2)
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint, #3)
  • Bane (Sinners of Saint, #4)