Start by marking “Freeks” as Want to Read:
Freeks

Freeks

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,157 Ratings  ·  632 Reviews
Welcome to Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Sideshow, where necromancy, magical visions, and pyrokinesis are more than just part of the act…

Mara has always longed for a normal life in a normal town where no one has the ability to levitate or predict the future. Instead, she roams from place to place, cleaning the tiger cage while her friends perform supernatural feats every nigh
Published February 9th 2017 by Pan (first published January 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Freeks, please sign up.
Jessica Yes, it is a stand alone, according to the author's instagram account.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan a Kirpka is something Amanda Hocking made up herself

Regan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.75
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I liked the book and the characters. I love books about carnivals and the 80's but I'm not too sure about this one yet.

I really enjoyed how the characters are all one big family but there is something and I can't put my finger on it yet. The ending was meh and a little cool at the same time. I was hoping they would say they met up with the others that left to go wait in a safer place. I did like when someone else joined the show at the end =)

I will think more on my thoughts and come back, the
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Man I was really looking forward to this. I mean, just look at that cover!!!!! I’ve also read plenty of Amanda Hocking in what I now refer to as “the time I was brainwashed and inducted as a member in the Twilight cult,” so I wasn’t even scurrrrrrred that I’d hate it. And I didn’t hate it – I just didn’t like it very much either. (In the immortal words of one Roger Murtaugh - I think I’m getting too old for this shit.)

But let’s get on
Fafa's Book Corner
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

I received this E-ARC via St. Martin's Griffin and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I am also participating in the blog tour. I had heard about this book through Netgalley. I was scrolling one day and came across this book. It sounded good and some of my friends were reading it. I am happy to say that I enjoyed this book!

The book is written in first person all in Mara's point of view. Before every chapter there is a picture o
Maya
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with how this story turned out. I wasn't expecting it to be so interesting. The plot is a mixture of mystery, romance, fun and violence. And somehow that combination is what I like to see in my books. Yeah, I know. I'm weird... I've never read a book by this author and after reading this story, I think I'm going to enjoy reading her other books. Despite being YA (although some scenes were almost NA) this story wo
Irena
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Hocking won my heart with her Trylle Trilogy.
I never binge read series (in fact, I only binge read two series in my whole life: Trylle by A. Hocking and MacKinnon Curse by J.A. Templeton), but that was my first time when I read like a maniac, devouring the world and it’s characters within.

Since then, I knew Hocking will be the one author I will have my eye on, eagerly waiting for new books to feed my appetite.

Amanda Hocking did it again. She wrote yet another unputdownable book.
It caught
Candace Robinson
I love the freaking 80’s! But holy toledo the romance was fast... basically, “Hi my name is (enter name), okay lets’s make-out.” Anything with carnivals or oddities can hold my interest, so that part was freaking awesome. But they mystery aspect didn’t captivate me ad much as I had hoped.
Beth
Mara is a family member in a struggling traveling side show; her mother is the fortune teller. She’s become accustom to being dismissed and looked down upon because others consider the sideshow people "Freeks". They all have some special ability the marks them different from your average Joe. Mara is different but her mother has had her suppress her powers in fear.

Deciding to check out their newest stop, Mara finds herself invited to a regular college type part where she meets Gabe.

Mara and Gabe
Monica
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Lots of action, especially by the ending. Several surprising plot twists. I would definitely read a sequel and other books by Hocking. Recommend for all YA readers and anyone looking for an entertaining paranormal read. 😊
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
So this wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't exactly a hit for me. It felt very YA (which I get it... it's written for YA) but it kinda felt like something that would have been on Nic at Night in the 90's. It's a decade book which is kinda cool- I love the 80's and honestly I would have liked even more references to it. But the general plot was kinda meh in my opinion.

The writing wasn't bad - I actually liked the way Hocking described things. It was an easy read in that perspective and I felt like
Hristina
READ AN EXCERPT HERE!!

Copy received through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review
A big thanks to St. Martin's Press for the chance to join the book tour.

Actual rating: 3.5

I'm split with this read because I loved most of it, with the romance portion of the story as an exception. I'm a sucker for romance, the romance keeps me reading.
It's well-written, the characters are awesome, every aspect of it is done well except the romance, which felt like a big part of the story. It felt rushed, like it
Carrie
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mara and her mother who is a necromancer have been traveling with Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Sideshow for years and a life on the road is the only one Mara knows. Those in the sideshow are family to Mara with most having some sort of powers just like her mother's but Mara herself hasn't experienced any such thing yet herself. With the show really hurting for money when an offer that almost seems too good to be true comes along in a strange little town called Caudry, Louisiana they have to take t ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
For whatever reason, books and even movies, about circus life, have always fascinated me, which is why, I first picked up Freeks. Having already read and really liked some of Hocking's other past work, I knew that more than likely, if nothing else, I would get something completely different and fun.

I did get those things and all with a slight paranormal other type twist.

This was a fun read, if not a bit cliché and even a bit un-other. It wasn't anything too fantastical or unheard of and truly,
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/18/...

Continuing with my ongoing love affair with books about carnivals or circuses, I decided to check out Freeks by Amanda Hocking which features a group of traveling sideshow performers in the 80s as they travel across the country looking for work.

The story stars Mara, a teenager who has practically spent her whole life growing up on the road with Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Carnival. While their show boasts many of the usual
Jacqueline
2.5/5 stars

Video Review: https://youtu.be/P275UbzIrCc

When I was asked to be apart of the blog tour for this book I was excited since this sounded like something I would enjoy! After reading it I found I liked the book...but didn't love it. I had some definite pros but had some cons I couldn't overlook. I can picture people liking this book but since the cons were so distinct I couldn't give it anything more or less than a 2.5/5 stars.

**Was sent an egalley in exchange for an honest review**
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Freeks was a unique and intriguing novel. I thought the carnival sideshow aspect of this book was brilliant. I loved being in that world and surrounded the cast and crew of the sideshow. I wish there could have been more of the carnival in the book! The sideshow had a lot of interesting characters that I really enjoyed getting to know.

I thought the author did a great job at describing the physical appearance of characters and the scenery. I could clearly see all the characters in my head and i
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I am very, very reluctantly giving this book three stars. It is more like a 3.5 star rating… but I stopped awarding half stars over a year ago now. Even though I was tempted to go back on my decision just for the sake of this book, I’m not going to. Because while it was good, and had its moments, it was a bit of a stretch to say it was wonderful. I did enjoy reading it though. Allow me to elaborate…

The novel was set in a circus, where a lot of the members had powers. I really liked the idea of t
Emer
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dnf, reviewed, 1star, own-ecopy
I could never seem to get lost in the story of this book so I think sadly it was just not to my taste.

DNF.

*a copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher via the Goodreads group 'A Book Nirvana' in exchange for an honest review.*
Mel
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this, before I even bought this, I was really skeptical of the book. It has poor reviews, a not great overall rating, and people seemed to be really underwhelmed. But I LOVE books involving the Circus (this caused me to buy THREE more) so I bought it and went in with no expectations.

This made me realize that a lot of books marketed as YA mystery/creepy books (this, and the Asylum series by Madeleine Roux are the 2 I can think of) make people expect so much and they are usually let
Uma  ♥ Books.Bags.Burgers.
(A huge thanks to Pan Macmillan India for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.)

CHARACTERS

I must say that while the protagonist is Mara, my favourite character from the book is Roxie. She's spunky and sweet and her pyrokinetic powers are wicked cool! I found her the most well written of all the characters and thoroughly enjoyed her friendship with Mara.

Mara is an interesting character. She’s been with the travelling circus since she was a toddler and longs for a more perman
Shannon (leaninglights)
There were a few joy moments but overall, this was very lackluster to me. It was like certain moments of Twilight mixed with Beautiful Creatures at a carnival. I was doubtful I was going to enjoy it but I wanted to but it was a no go for me, I'm sad to say.
Anne
Like a bad '80's horror flick without the actual awesomeness of the 80's, despite the story taking place in it. Huge disappointment.
Lindsey Lynn
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5 Stars!

I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Summary:
This story follows Mara who is apart of a traveling carnival in 1987. They arrive in a small Louisiana town in time for the Vernal Equinox, trying to draw business to this small town. Mara meets a mysterious rich guy in town who is hiding secrets from the carnival.

Dislikes:
I'm sad that its over. I loved this so much and never wanted it to end.

Likes:
The writing was incredible and so fast paced. I never wanted
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Freeks
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: YA Fantasy, YA Paranormal

**I received a copy of the book free from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

This review can be found on my BlogTeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review:

First of all, love this cover. Totally gets the vibe of the book. Then again, all Hocking's books have amazing covers. I'm a big fan of hers. When I was asked to be part of the blog tour, I jumped at the chan
Stacy Fetters
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed."
I am so glad that I talked my husband into letting my buy this. Who doesn't love a supernatural story at a carnival!? With all the whimsical games, human freaks and enough eighties references to make your life enriched. And a Corey Hart reference! A girl truly after my dark heart. *swoon*
Mara and her mom are apart of a traveling circus. Going from town to town, she doesn't have time for the usual everyday teen drama.
The carnival is broke
Aneta Bak
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, arc
Freeks is a well written novel, filled with so much action and great characters that you can't put the book down.

Mara knows not to get attached to any of the town folk, after all, she is leaving in a week. Yet when Mara meets a cute boy at a party she stumbles upon, she can't help but catch feelings. The only problem is that no one ever falls for the girl working at the carnival. But dark forces are found in the new town, and they're attacking the carnival and everyone Mara loves.

Mara isn't the
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
I like YA books, they're usually quick to read. I'd find them the perfect beach read if I ever sat on a beach. I spend a lot of time on trains and this was one book that helped me pass being stuck between Leicester and London after a high speed train broke down for 45 minutes. It's fun, feisty and for once has a teenage girl that doesn't behave like a wet dishrag.
Mara work for a travelling sideshow in the 80's believing she is one of the only people there with no special skills (you can guess wh
Karen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal, favorites
Check out my full review and more on my blog KissinBlueKaren . You can also enter for a chance to win this book, contest ends 1/14/17.

The fun stuff: We got a fun glimpse into life for the traveling sideshow. Right away in this story we are on the road. This story is set in the 80s. Mara is 19 years old. Although she was more new adult age, she is more young adult in her maturity. Mara is a genuinely likeable person. She is everything I would imagine a 19 year old in her situation would be. Mara
Kayla Ritenour (In Between The pages)
So for me at least, this book took me a while to read.

I know I know 5 days isn't that long you say. but your talking to someone who can finish a book in 1 or 2 tips most of the time.

this week just got away from me starting classes, work, and helping my mom as she recovers. and so my reading time just wasn't there. and that's why sadly I didn't have updates as I read like I normally do.

but this book ah-mah-gawd!!!!!

it was so so good.
I really wasn't sure Amanda could write a book that bested her T
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
The whole circus/sideshow aspect was really fun. The romance was your typical YA romance, and I didn't expect much more than that going in. It was creepy, fun, and interesting. I always enjoy Hocking's stories. You just have to go into them knowing that the writing style is typical to YA. But the storylines are always usually pretty unique, as was this one. I really like the idea of this being a standalone, but I definitely wouldn't mind to travel more with the circus and these characters if it ...more
Better Read Than ...: March 2017 Freeks 2 9 Jun 07, 2017 09:59AM
Crazy for Young A...: Freeks by Amanda Hocking → Start Date: April 9th, 2017 22 18 Apr 24, 2017 10:56PM
Addicted to YA: Freeks 5 81 Mar 30, 2017 06:33PM
Reads With Friends: Thoughts 1 10 Mar 22, 2017 11:01AM
Amanda Hocking is a lifelong Minnesotan obsessed with Batman and Jim Henson. In between watching cooking shows, taking care of her menagerie of pets, and drinking too much Red Bull Zero, she writes young adult urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

Several of her books have made the New York Times Bestsellers list, including the Trylle trilogy and Kanin Chronicles. Her zombie series, The Hollows, ha
More about Amanda Hocking

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
“God is good, but the devil is not so bad to those he likes,” 12 likes
“That's when I realized the chill wasn't coming from outside—it was coming from within me.” 7 likes